IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goodgrief

New

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by goodgrief » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:01 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:Zzz I will be back in IC on Wednesday evening and most of the day on Thursday if anyone is up for drinks.
I wish I was in IC. Instead, I'm beating my head against my desk purely to relieve the boredom.
I'm just reading TLS forums to get through the boredom. But good lord, the next few months until the move to IC look bleak and dull.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 pm

goodgrief wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:Zzz I will be back in IC on Wednesday evening and most of the day on Thursday if anyone is up for drinks.
I wish I was in IC. Instead, I'm beating my head against my desk purely to relieve the boredom.
I'm just reading TLS forums to get through the boredom. But good lord, the next few months until the move to IC look bleak and dull.
Both of these. Though TLS has been a little on the slow side lately, now that we're well into April. Makes me :(

When is everyone moving to Iowa City? I'm moving back home with my parents the first weekend in June (my lease in Seattle ends, and I didn't want to fuss with a place for 6 weeks) then moving to IC on July 15th.

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Moving the first week of August. Have to keep working my job in Texas until about mid-July, then my IC apartment doesn't open up until August. Then I get a long drive with a dog and a cat in the backseat, and rushing to unpack before orientation.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 pm

goodgrief wrote:Moving the first week of August. Have to keep working my job in Texas until about mid-July, then my IC apartment doesn't open up until August. Then I get a long drive with a dog and a cat in the backseat, and rushing to unpack before orientation.
I feel you there. I'm driving back from Seattle... So I get about 26 hours of driving with two dogs in the back seat.

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
goodgrief wrote:Moving the first week of August. Have to keep working my job in Texas until about mid-July, then my IC apartment doesn't open up until August. Then I get a long drive with a dog and a cat in the backseat, and rushing to unpack before orientation.
I feel you there. I'm driving back from Seattle... So I get about 26 hours of driving with two dogs in the back seat.
My favorite part of this is going to be rounding up the cat, who does not like traveling at all and cries constantly, from the hotel room and getting her back into her carrier/the car when we leave on the second leg of the 18-20 hour trip.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm

chrisbru wrote:
goodgrief wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Both of these. Though TLS has been a little on the slow side lately, now that we're well into April. Makes me :(

When is everyone moving to Iowa City? I'm moving back home with my parents the first weekend in June (my lease in Seattle ends, and I didn't want to fuss with a place for 6 weeks) then moving to IC on July 15th.

I'm moving in on the 1st of June. However, I'm not working in IC this summer so just one of my roommates will be there. I imagine I'll spend my weekends primarily in boji. It is sad that this thread doesn't have more momentum. Even the facebook groups are slow to materialize with anything.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm

typ3 wrote:
I'm moving in on the 1st of June. However, I'm not working in IC this summer so just one of my roommates will be there. I imagine I'll spend my weekends primarily in boji. It is sad that this thread doesn't have more momentum. Even the facebook groups are slow to materialize with anything.
This.

Are you staying at home for most of the summer then? Or going back and forth from IC to Boji?

I need to find a summer job...

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
This.

Are you staying at home for most of the summer then? Or going back and forth from IC to Boji?

I need to find a summer job...
I am moving back in with my parents for the summer and working in my home town. I end my lease where I'm at now on the 28th and starting mine in IC on the 1st so I am packing my stuff up with a UHaul and then waiting a few days in IC before I can move in. Hence I'll be commuting to boji on the weekends. The drive from IC to Boji is a little long so I'm sort of glad I won't be there for the summer, although from Des Moines it's certainly doable.

maahs07

New

Post by maahs07 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Moving down first week of August...but I'll be in Cedar Falls so within striking distance all summer :)

@Chrisbru - Ill be making my way to DSM to visit Ty Fulton and Co. a few times this summer if you will be around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm

maahs07 wrote: Moving down first week of August...but I'll be in Cedar Falls so within striking distance all summer :)

@Chrisbru - Ill be making my way to DSM to visit Ty Fulton and Co. a few times this summer if you will be around.
I sure will be! Look me up when you're around DSM.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Man. The class of 2014 is really dropping the ball. This thread is lucky to get 5 posts a week.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:57 am

typ3 wrote:Man. The class of 2014 is really dropping the ball. This thread is lucky to get 5 posts a week.
Maybe we just have a young incoming class, and everyone has their head down focused on graduating?

Or, they actually have jobs that keep them busy.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:Man. The class of 2014 is really dropping the ball. This thread is lucky to get 5 posts a week.
Maybe we just have a young incoming class, and everyone has their head down focused on graduating?

I am graduating in 2 weeks.. but I still find to mingle on this thread. I'm mostly looking forward to memorial day at BOJI

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:33 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I am graduating in 2 weeks.. but I still find to mingle on this thread. I'm mostly looking forward to memorial day at BOJI
I'll miss it since I'm working until June 2nd... But I plan on pulling into Boji about midnight on Friday June 3rd!

I'm strongly considering trying to find a waiter/bartending job in boji for the summer.

sundance13

New

Post by sundance13 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:58 pm

In at Iowa today, via e-mail!

I've been checking this topic every so often, but didn't think I'd get accepted. YAY! So excited about Iowa!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:37 am

sundance13 wrote:In at Iowa today, via e-mail!

I've been checking this topic every so often, but didn't think I'd get accepted. YAY! So excited about Iowa!
Congrats! Hope to see you here in the fall!

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 am

Congratulations, sundance13!

So for us non-natives, what is Boji? I'm curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am

goodgrief wrote:Congratulations, sundance13!

So for us non-natives, what is Boji? I'm curious.
Boji is short for Okoboji. It is a really popular summer hotspot that includes a chain of lakes and an amusement park. There are lots of bars, restaurants, and shops. On the weekends there are lots of bands that play at restaurants on the water and at Arnold's Park (the amusement park) for free. A few years ago Playboy rated it as a top 5 or top 10 place to be on the 4th of July in the U.S. 4th of July weekend is nuts and there is a huge firework display. A few years back the barge they shot fireworks from exploded.. and I believe it was last year that it started to go up again before they put it out.

During the winter they have the winter games which is a huge drinking festival / snowmobile / random sports out on the lake fest over a weekend that is really popular.

Okoboji is a huge draw for people from Omaha, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Des Moines, Minneapolis (and southern suburbs). Although less so from Minneapolis since there are a lot of local lakes nearby, but Okoboji is still a nice get away and I run into 'sotans all the time. The area is also home to Berkely fishing company, and a really awesome bike trail that runs the length of the lakes.

--ImageRemoved--

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks! Sounds awesome.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:58 am

Congrats! Are you attending for sure?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Finals start today.

Don't come to law school...it's a terrible idea

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Congrats! Are you attending for sure?
In my spare time this week I will index all candidates attending on Lsn and on here so that people know where they fall.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Last edited by tea_drinker on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundance13

New

Post by sundance13 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for the congratulations! I'm actually not sure yet if I'll be going to Iowa. I got a pretty nice scholarship offer from Drake, and am being considered for a full-tuition scholarship there (should find out about that on Friday). If, by some miracle, I do get the full-tuition scholarship, I'll go to Drake. Otherwise, I'll probably end up at Iowa. I'm finishing up my undergrad here right now and I love IC, so it'd be nice to stay here instead of move to Des Moines.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:24 pm

sundance13 wrote:Thanks for the congratulations! I'm actually not sure yet if I'll be going to Iowa. I got a pretty nice scholarship offer from Drake, and am being considered for a full-tuition scholarship there (should find out about that on Friday). If, by some miracle, I do get the full-tuition scholarship, I'll go to Drake. Otherwise, I'll probably end up at Iowa. I'm finishing up my undergrad here right now and I love IC, so it'd be nice to stay here instead of move to Des Moines.
I do love Des Moines very much, but Iowa > Drake... Depending on your career goals, of course. I definitely know what you mean about the full-tuition scholly though, that's straight $$$. Graduating with only $50k in COL debt doesn't seem nearly as bad as $120k+.

That being said, back to the topic:

Sundance/other people who have lived in IC, what are you favorite things about the city or hidden gems we should know of before moving there?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”