IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brupe

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by brupe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:15 pm

You should be hearing soon, there's a separate "In Review" for peeps still in review. I bet if you call the school they'll tell you your decision!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Underground404 wrote:On my status checker it says:

Admissions Decision: In Progress

Is this the same as "In Review?"

Thanks!

I think you're looking at ISIS. Iowa also has a normal status checker like the rest of the schools. Login usually comes about 10 days after you get your ISIS login. ISIS is worthless for tracking decision status.

JKill01

New

Post by JKill01 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:58 pm

First time poster. I've been reading the forums for a while now, and have found them very helpful on preparing for the LSAT, the agonizing wait for LSAT scores and on applying.

Just got the e-mail today from Dean Agrawal for acceptance. First acceptance of the cycle, for me. It felt good! Thought this could be useful for you guys/girls. My application was received on the 18th, according to my archives. Good luck everybody!

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:01 pm

JKill01 wrote:First time poster. I've been reading the forums for a while now, and have found them very helpful on preparing for the LSAT, the agonizing wait for LSAT scores and on applying.

Just got the e-mail today from Dean Agrawal for acceptance. First acceptance of the cycle, for me. It felt good! Thought this could be useful for you guys/girls. My application was received on the 18th, according to my archives. Good luck everybody!
Congratulations on being accepted!!!

Thanks for giving us timeline information as well. It's nice having a general idea of how things are going down. :)

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 pm

Accepted today via e-mail. They said to expect a packet in a few days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 pm

TheOcho wrote:Accepted today via e-mail. They said to expect a packet in a few days.
When did you submit? (Sorry if you posted this earlier, I just didn't look back through the thread)

Congrats!!!

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Underground404 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Accepted today via e-mail. They said to expect a packet in a few days.
When did you submit? (Sorry if you posted this earlier, I just didn't look back through the thread)

Congrats!!!
Submitted 11/01. Thank you, and good luck (assuming you haven't heard yet)!

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 pm

TheOcho wrote:
Underground404 wrote:

Congrats!!!
Submitted 11/01. Thank you, and good luck (assuming you haven't heard yet)!
No, I haven't heard yet since I submitted a few days ago. I'll probably have to wait a few weeks for a decision based on what I'm seeing here.

Thank you!

WashingtonJew

New

Post by WashingtonJew » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Accepted today via e-mail. "Went complete" on 11/12 - trying to figure out if Iowa is worth seriously considering. No one actually goes to Iowa to work in Iowa right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm

WashingtonJew wrote:Accepted today via e-mail. "Went complete" on 11/12 - trying to figure out if Iowa is worth seriously considering. No one actually goes to Iowa to work in Iowa right?
+1 hilarious

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 pm

WashingtonJew wrote:Accepted today via e-mail. "Went complete" on 11/12 - trying to figure out if Iowa is worth seriously considering. No one actually goes to Iowa to work in Iowa right?

Well... There are SOME of us who grew up in Iowa and truly love the state, despite it's many flaws. Actually, according to Iowa's website, they try to ensure that 50% of the class is Iowa residents. My guess would be that the majority of that 50% stays in Iowa to practice, whether they planned on it when starting school or not.

The rest try to go to Chicago, or St. Louis, and probably ultimately fail to the more prominent schools in that region. There might be some that go to Omaha, since UNL isn't exactly a stellar law school.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I would like to add my response was in no way meant to insult the state of Iowa.
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

WashingtonJew

New

Post by WashingtonJew » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm

I didn't mean to be offensive either. My numbers make Iowa one of, if not the best ranked schools I will get in to, but for people who do come from out-of-state like myself, I was wondering whether it is a viable option if I do not plan on staying in Iowa (although somewhere else in midwest would be fine with me).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:45 pm

WashingtonJew wrote:I didn't mean to be offensive either. My numbers make Iowa one of, if not the best ranked schools I will get in to, but for people who do come from out-of-state like myself, I was wondering whether it is a viable option if I do not plan on staying in Iowa (although somewhere else in midwest would be fine with me).

IMHO, staying in Iowa to practice law isn't that bad. Cost of living is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Minneapolis/Chicago, and Des Moines is really on the rise for a small/mid size city. Downtown is great, and a lot of fun. The school districts are great. Really, it's a perfect midwest city.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 pm

WashingtonJew wrote:I didn't mean to be offensive either. My numbers make Iowa one of, if not the best ranked schools I will get in to, but for people who do come from out-of-state like myself, I was wondering whether it is a viable option if I do not plan on staying in Iowa (although somewhere else in midwest would be fine with me).
I am interested to know this as well. Arguably, Iowa is a great school but look at the neighboring mid-to-large urban areas (mainly Chicago, St. Louis) it seems that preference is given to the local competition. Decent OOS placement would put Iowa near the top of the wishlist for me but I do not intend to live in Iowa, pretty much ever lol

laughsalot06

New

Post by laughsalot06 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Hey guys,

Never posted on TLS before (a little nervous, haha). Just got accepted to Iowa this week (went complete 11/18). I'm in undergrad at the University of Iowa and thus was able to go the "Prospective Students Day." They said that 30% of graduates stay in Iowa, so obviously most grads leave--part of the reason they have to have (or rather shoot for) 50% residents in each class.

Hope this helps!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Iowa casts one of the widest nets of any Midwest school, traditionally. Students come from all over the Midwest (and plenty from elsewhere) and typically find work in a lot of different Midwest cities. I think around 1/3 of students traditionally stay in Iowa, however that may be up in the last year or so due to the tough market (Iowa graduates obviously have the easiest time finding work in Iowa).

Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis are all still viable options for Iowa graduates, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 pm

hokie wrote:
I am interested to know this as well. Arguably, Iowa is a great school but look at the neighboring mid-to-large urban areas (mainly Chicago, St. Louis) it seems that preference is given to the local competition. Decent OOS placement would put Iowa near the top of the wishlist for me but I do not intend to live in Iowa, pretty much ever lol
IMHO as well, but as I see it having ties to the market where you want to work is also important, and going to Iowa doesn't take that away. Maybe you just have to mass mail and do some leg works.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 am

Submitted my app on 11/17 got accepted 12/6 via email. The email didn't say anything about a packet. Have people been receiving scholarship letters or emails? Also, what is ISIS even for?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:30 am

jayman6 wrote:Submitted my app on 11/17 got accepted 12/6 via email. The email didn't say anything about a packet. Have people been receiving scholarship letters or emails? Also, what is ISIS even for?
Before you are actually a student, it isn't really used for much, other than paying security deposits I believe. After you are a student, pretty much everything goes through ISIS (course registration, billing, grades, etc.).

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:04 am

Got my scholarship letter via snail mail yesterday. I was admitted on 11/22 via snail mail so hopefully you other recent admits get scholly info soon too! Good luck to all!

Also the terms of my scholarship are that I stay in the top 1/3. I'm not sure I'm digging that stipulation...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:43 am

vegenator wrote:Got my scholarship letter via snail mail yesterday. I was admitted on 11/22 via snail mail so hopefully you other recent admits get scholly info soon too! Good luck to all!

Also the terms of my scholarship are that I stay in the top 1/3. I'm not sure I'm digging that stipulation...
I was accepted to U Nebraska with scholarship and they have a stipulation of staying in the top 1/3 as well, although it would likely be easier to do at a place like Nebraska than at Iowa. My scholarship from Denver U, however, only stipulated that I maintain a 3.0 GPA which seems more reasonable. I do think that it's quite common to stipulate that scholars stay in the top 1/3 of the class.

Also: What scholly did you receive and what were your numbers? I'm 3.8/162 just wondered if you think I'll get anything based on what you got?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 pm

jayman6 wrote: I was accepted to U Nebraska with scholarship and they have a stipulation of staying in the top 1/3 as well, although it would likely be easier to do at a place like Nebraska than at Iowa. My scholarship from Denver U, however, only stipulated that I maintain a 3.0 GPA which seems more reasonable. I do think that it's quite common to stipulate that scholars stay in the top 1/3 of the class.

Also: What scholly did you receive and what were your numbers? I'm 3.8/162 just wondered if you think I'll get anything based on what you got?

Hard to say with those numbers... There weren't many people similar to you on LSN. My guess would be 1/3 - 1/2 scholarship though.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:16 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote: I was accepted to U Nebraska with scholarship and they have a stipulation of staying in the top 1/3 as well, although it would likely be easier to do at a place like Nebraska than at Iowa. My scholarship from Denver U, however, only stipulated that I maintain a 3.0 GPA which seems more reasonable. I do think that it's quite common to stipulate that scholars stay in the top 1/3 of the class.

Hard to say with those numbers... There weren't many people similar to you on LSN. My guess would be 1/3 - 1/2 scholarship though.
Most Iowa scholarships have the top 1/3 stipulation. There are only a couple without the requirement and I guess those may be need based.

It's wise to consider whether or not you'll be able to retain the scholarship for all three years. Everyone works hard, but Iowa doesn't section stack and the environment seems generally gunner-free, so I think that it's easier to pull off 1/3 here than at some other schools.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:36 pm

JOThompson wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Most Iowa scholarships have the top 1/3 stipulation. There are only a couple without the requirement and I guess those may be need based.

It's wise to consider whether or not you'll be able to retain the scholarship for all three years. Everyone works hard, but Iowa doesn't section stack and the environment seems generally gunner-free, so I think that it's easier to pull off 1/3 here than at some other schools.
I agree. I have a friend who is a 3L at Iowa now and he says the environment isn't as intense as a place like U Minnesota. He also said that Iowa is quite affordable if you just work hard because, in addition to scholarships, there are plenty of research fellowships for upperclassmen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”