IOWA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: IOWA 2011

Post by chrisbru » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm trying to decide if the MLB package is worth it... Pretty sure I'm gonna opt for satellite instead of cable. I'd for sure get it if it was the beginning of the season, but for just July 15-October I'm not sure if it is.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:31 pm

chrisbru wrote:I'm trying to decide if the MLB package is worth it... Pretty sure I'm gonna opt for satellite instead of cable. I'd for sure get it if it was the beginning of the season, but for just July 15-October I'm not sure if it is.
Thought about the same thing. However I want to bundle my internet and phone too. However, I can't find a satellite company that does voIP phone.

Is 20mbs dl that fastest speed in iowa city?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I'm trying to decide if the MLB package is worth it... Pretty sure I'm gonna opt for satellite instead of cable. I'd for sure get it if it was the beginning of the season, but for just July 15-October I'm not sure if it is.
Thought about the same thing. However I want to bundle my internet and phone too. However, I can't find a satellite company that does voIP phone.

Is 20mbs dl that fastest speed in iowa city?
Qwest HD Internet goes up to 40 mbs dl.

Who the hell needs a home phone? Qwest HD internet bundles with direct TV and takes $5 off as a "bundle discount" if you do Verizon for your cell.

goodgrief

New

Post by goodgrief » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:24 pm

So who knows about the food scene in Iowa City/Coralville? Specifically Mexican (which I don't have too high hopes for outside of Texas) and sushi/general Japanese? I got a decent survey at ASW, but not of a lot of the ethnic places. However, Sanctuary Pub is amazing.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:38 pm

goodgrief wrote:So who knows about the food scene in Iowa City/Coralville? Specifically Mexican (which I don't have too high hopes for outside of Texas) and sushi/general Japanese? I got a decent survey at ASW, but not of a lot of the ethnic places. However, Sanctuary Pub is amazing.
I'm a big fan of Taco Tuesday at El Cactus off Highway 6. $1 tacos, pretty good. Comes with chips and salsa. El Ranchero (also off Highway 6) is pretty good as well. There are a ton of Mexican places in Iowa city. How "authentic" they are, I have no clue. I just like tacos.

There is a sushi place (Three Samurai, I believe) in Coralville that I know Professor Matsumoto eats at. I haven't been but I'm sure it's decent.

There is also a Thai place we ordered food from the other night that was really, really good. Forget the name, but there can't be too many in Iowa City/Coralville.

EDIT: Thai place is Thai Flavors, which is off Burlington in IC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:17 am

Banditos is good Mexican

I had some tasty asian fusion and sushi at Formosa (in the Hotel Vetro)

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:04 pm

For a small college town, Iowa City offers a surprising amount of good food options.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:20 pm

What about Indian food? I don't want to have to figure out how to make my own chicken tikka masala.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Slimpee wrote:Banditos is good Mexican

I had some tasty asian fusion and sushi at Formosa (in the Hotel Vetro)
+1 Banditos kicks ass. I like Takanami more than Formosa, fwiw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:56 am

chrisbru wrote:What about Indian food? I don't want to have to figure out how to make my own chicken tikka masala.
Chris, there is an indian restaurant or two downtown. I don't know on their quality though. I just remember seeing them when I was last in IC. I'll be back in a couple weeks and will eat there and post a report since I also love tikka masala.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 am

I'm going to make this easy for you:

Best of Iowa City

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm going to make this easy for you:

Best of Iowa City
Awesome. Super helpful, thanks!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:18 pm

traehekat wrote:
goodgrief wrote:So who knows about the food scene in Iowa City/Coralville? Specifically Mexican (which I don't have too high hopes for outside of Texas) and sushi/general Japanese? I got a decent survey at ASW, but not of a lot of the ethnic places. However, Sanctuary Pub is amazing.
I'm a big fan of Taco Tuesday at El Cactus off Highway 6. $1 tacos, pretty good. Comes with chips and salsa. El Ranchero (also off Highway 6) is pretty good as well. There are a ton of Mexican places in Iowa city. How "authentic" they are, I have no clue. I just like tacos.

There is a sushi place (Three Samurai, I believe) in Coralville that I know Professor Matsumoto eats at. I haven't been but I'm sure it's decent.

There is also a Thai place we ordered food from the other night that was really, really good. Forget the name, but there can't be too many in Iowa City/Coralville.

EDIT: Thai place is Thai Flavors, which is off Burlington in IC.
It just depends on how authentic you like your food. I lived in Texas during undergrad, nothing come close to my standard for Great Mexican food, but El Cactus is quite good.

I've never eaten sushi here, but there are two Thai places. Thai flavors is on Burlington, its okay Thai food. Thai Spice, on Gilbert, is Damn good, and I lived in Thailand for a year, I know good Thai food.

For the most part, though, the best places are burger joints (the vine) or pizza (mesa for unique pizza and wig and pen for deep dish) everything else is kind of meh as far as I am concerned.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:50 am

Iowa City has decent food, but it's a very good selection when you consider the small size of the city. There are several good sushi and pizza options, good Chinese, Thai, some great American cafes, just about everything. My biggest gripe is there is no good Vietnamese food here, which sucks because that's my favorite cuisine. There is a place called Mekong that alleges it does Vietnamese food, but I wasn't a big fan the one time I went (if that's not obvious from only going there once).

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm honestly content between Masala, Which Wich, and Pancheros. Maybe B-Dubs once in a while.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Iowa waitlisted me....again. I get it Iowa, I'm on the waitlist. :|

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:28 am

Yeah, us prelim waitlisters got the official waitlist notification this week. Super depressing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am

brupe wrote:Yeah, us prelim waitlisters got the official waitlist notification this week. Super depressing.
I would like to thank Iowa for notifiying me that I'm on the waitlist a mere three months after placing me on some sort of waitlist.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 am

chrisbru wrote:I'm honestly content between Masala, Which Wich, and Pancheros. Maybe B-Dubs once in a while.
How is Which Wich? I pass by it all time and I'm always intrigued, but I've never had it. How is it compared to maybe Jimmy Johns, Subway, Quiznos, etc.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 pm

traehekat wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I'm honestly content between Masala, Which Wich, and Pancheros. Maybe B-Dubs once in a while.
How is Which Wich? I pass by it all time and I'm always intrigued, but I've never had it. How is it compared to maybe Jimmy Johns, Subway, Quiznos, etc.
IMHO, it's better than all of them. I love JJ for a cold sandwich, but if you want a hot sandwich, it's delicious. Plus, the concept is awesome. They have a bunch of paper bags, one for each type of sandwich (comfort foods, chicken, breakfast, etc.) Then, you check little boxes next to what all you want on it. They have a ton of options, including pastrami and Cheez Whiz. The sandwiches are delicious, priced well, and are always just how you want it.

Plus, they have sweet ice.

maahs07

New

Post by maahs07 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 pm

chrisbru wrote:
traehekat wrote:
IMHO, it's better than all of them. I love JJ for a cold sandwich, but if you want a hot sandwich, it's delicious. Plus, the concept is awesome. They have a bunch of paper bags, one for each type of sandwich (comfort foods, chicken, breakfast, etc.) Then, you check little boxes next to what all you want on it. They have a ton of options, including pastrami and Cheez Whiz. The sandwiches are delicious, priced well, and are always just how you want it.

Plus, they have sweet ice.
Sounds like a lot of work. I just go to JJ's and say "16" and 10 seconds later I'm walking out the door.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

corvettekid

New

Post by corvettekid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 am

Anyone know anything about the "Law Freshman Fellows" is that just a scholarship? and is it only good for your freshman year?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 pm

corvettekid wrote:Anyone know anything about the "Law Freshman Fellows" is that just a scholarship? and is it only good for your freshman year?
Freshman Fellows is the scholarship you get to cover the difference between in state and out of state tuition. It's only for your first year, because you do an RA the second and third year and get in-state tuition.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 am

Zzz I will be back in IC on Wednesday evening and most of the day on Thursday if anyone is up for drinks.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 am

typ3 wrote:Zzz I will be back in IC on Wednesday evening and most of the day on Thursday if anyone is up for drinks.
I wish I was in IC. Instead, I'm beating my head against my desk purely to relieve the boredom.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”