UC Davis 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bergg007

Re: UC Davis 2011

Postby bergg007 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:51 am

bk1 wrote:
boozehound wrote:I'm not too bright....but apparently UC Davis requires me to pay $28 to apply for need-based financial aid. That seems pretty stupid: "Hey poor guy, wanna bet $28 to see if we'll give you aid??"

They aren't the only one.

Yes, yes they are.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

HornetGuy wrote:
yo! wrote:
Yes gunner, last thing you need is someone else fighting over Cal's leftovers.

Well...I was more worried about dealing with your awful personality, but I guess it's now a non-issue since you've withdrawn. Congrats on the Minnesota and Iowa acceptances...lord knows that no one at Davis could have gotten those :roll:

You're a great ambassador for your school. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by pointing out that I got into two similarly ranked schools in a third of the time. I didn't mean to offend, merely to point out - albeit in great frustration and with little tact (although it helped spin off a humorous sidebar I hear is being made into a screenplay) - that UC Davis' admit process is painstakingly long and possibly to its detriment. I humbly prostrate myself at the benevolent mercy of all the kids who didn't get into Berkeley/Stanford/UCLA/USC/Irvine.

lulz. no hurt feelings here partner. I just felt like pointing out your incredibly high level of douchiness. It seems that you're the only one getting angry. Interstingly enough, you keep referring to "kids who didn't get into Berk/Stan/USC/UCLA" - a group that you are obviously part of. I mean, why else would you be willing to freeze your ass off in Iowa/Minnesota?

HornetGuy

Postby HornetGuy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:52 pm

lulz. no hurt feelings here partner. I just felt like pointing out your incredibly high level of douchiness. It seems that you're the only one getting angry. Interstingly enough, you keep referring to "kids who didn't get into Berk/Stan/USC/UCLA" - a group that you are obviously part of. I mean, why else would you be willing to freeze your ass off in Iowa/Minnesota?

They're both better schools than Davis?

Neither one is ranked fifth/sixth in their respective state?

There's presumably fewer smarmy, insecure little kids who, spurned by their top five choices begrudgingly settled down on I-80 and are now prickishly hyper-sensitive to anything that's less than glowing praise for their school?

Is that reason enough, or should I keep going?

lulz.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:54 pm

HornetGuy wrote:

There's presumably fewer smarmy, insecure little kids who, spurned by their top five choices begrudgingly settled down on I-80 and are now prickishly hyper-sensitive to anything that's less than glowing praise for their school?

lulz.

damn i dont know what's going on here but this kid is full of ANGST

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:57 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
HornetGuy wrote:

lulz.

damn i dont know what's going on here but this kid is full of ANGST

now it's on!

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:57 pm

lolwut is happening ITT?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

HornetGuy wrote:There's presumably fewer smarmy, insecure little kids who, spurned by their top five choices begrudgingly settled down on I-80 and are now prickishly hyper-sensitive to anything that's less than glowing praise for their school?

lulz.

Dude if you don't want to go to Davis then leave this thread. Take it to the Ding Bar.. this is for people who actually want to go to Davis.

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 pm

5th / 6th in an economy that would be the seventh largest country in the world (ca) isn't the worst thing in the world. In a state like Missouri? That is worrisome. But I think you may be forgetting that those "leftovers" constitute a pretty large portion of the jobs. The brutal economy makes it a lot worse but nothing can be done about that, at this point. USF / SCU / USD / Pepperdine / Loyola on down are the schools that should really be worried about. Just IMO, obviously.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

HornetGuy wrote:

lulz.

I guess reading comp really isn't your thing. My comment had nothing to do with Davis. I said that you obviously hadn't gotten into any of the higher ranked CA schools, otherwise you wouldn't be heading to the midwest. So you are obviously in the same group that you keep making fun of - those who didn't get into a higher ranked CA school. You keep talking, but all I hear is " Davis didn't accept me, and I'm fucking bitter about it." As I said before, Have fun in Des Moines :)

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Does anyone know when Davis starts waitlisting people? And how easy is it to get off their waitlist? I have been under review for a while now. People who went in review later than me have been accepted left and right, and this makes me sad. :(

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 pm

tea_drinker wrote:Does anyone know when Davis starts waitlisting people? And how easy is it to get off thier waitlist? I have been under review for a while now. People who went in review later than me have been accepted left and right, and this makes me sad. :(

if you read a couple pages ago, a bunch of us were already waitlisted.. SBL commented that it is easier for people with higher GPAs to get off the WL than people with lower GPAs and higher LSATs

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:56 pm

ilovesf wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:Does anyone know when Davis starts waitlisting people? And how easy is it to get off thier waitlist? I have been under review for a while now. People who went in review later than me have been accepted left and right, and this makes me sad. :(

if you read a couple pages ago, a bunch of us were already waitlisted.. SBL commented that it is easier for people with higher GPAs to get off the WL than people with lower GPAs and higher LSATs

Oh, thanks. I should subscribe to this thread so I got notified.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I was waitlisted a while ago...is there anything I can do to help? Letters, etc.?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I was waitlisted a while ago...is there anything I can do to help? Letters, etc.?

Numbers?

Just write a letter and hope for the best.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 am

yo! wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
samfii wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

It doesn't happen a lot, but I can promise you that negotiating for increased aid is possible. I leveraged other offers to negotiate a larger award, and I personally know at least one other person that did the same thing. Also FYI, our deposits count towards tuition as well. For those still waiting: I didn't get accepted until early april, so don't lose hope. I had dinner with a professor that sat on the admissions committee a few weeks ago. He was happy to explain exactly how the admissions process worked. Basically, UCD admissions is slow as hell because the applications are read extensively by every member of the admissions committee. My point: Don't assume that a long wait = reject/WL.

For those already on the waitlist: Getting off is very doable. Just make it clear that you REALLY want to attend. They really want people who will fit well into the King Hall community.

yo! - Just read your comment and THANK YOU for the shred of hope. I've been "Complete -- Awaiting Evaluation" just since mid-January, but all this waiting has been a real downer. I went to UCD for undergrad and would LOVE to be able to attend for law school. And so I wait...

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am

Been 15 days worth of "examination" now... hoping to hear back today or tomorrow.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 am

Why do I feel like Davis' acceptances trickle in instead of come in batches? Do you guys think/know if this is true?

Postby 20160810 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm

tea_drinker wrote:Why do I feel like Davis' acceptances trickle in instead of come in batches? Do you guys think/know if this is true?

It's maddeningly slow. I called them and told them I applied in October and had to deposit at BU in a week, which seemed to hurry them up. But it's just insane.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Just got my need access report e-mail - I apparently will qualify for $25,000 in grant aid because my entire family is dead broke.

Does anyone know if that sets a precedent for the next 2 years so that the rug doesn't get swept out from under me if I were to decide to take them up on that?

cblawstudent2014

Postby cblawstudent2014 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:10 pm

SBL wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:Why do I feel like Davis' acceptances trickle in instead of come in batches? Do you guys think/know if this is true?

It's maddeningly slow. I called them and told them I applied in October and had to deposit at BU in a week, which seemed to hurry them up. But it's just insane.

So did you hear anything back yet?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Just got my need access report e-mail - I apparently will qualify for $25,000 in grant aid because my entire family is dead broke.

Does anyone know if that sets a precedent for the next 2 years so that the rug doesn't get swept out from under me if I were to decide to take them up on that?

I'd say congrats aggie... but I'm not quiiiiite sure if that's appropriate? Either way, $25k is nice.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Just got my need access report e-mail - I apparently will qualify for $25,000 in grant aid because my entire family is dead broke.

I filled out Need Access but didn't get an e-mail...have you already been accepted to Davis?

samfii

Postby samfii » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 pm

cblawstudent2014 wrote:
SBL wrote:

So did you hear anything back yet?

sbl isn't a 0L

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:32 pm

krad wrote:

I'd say congrats aggie... but I'm not quiiiiite sure if that's appropriate? Either way, $25k is nice.

It's appropriate! ;) It'd certainly have the advantage of not leaving the area etc. Some $ is always a nice game-changer.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:

I filled out Need Access but didn't get an e-mail...have you already been accepted to Davis?

Yea I am accepted.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”