UC Davis 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
McNulty

Re: UC Davis 2011

Postby McNulty » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:07 pm

HornetGuy wrote:Ugh. Went complete first week of December and I'm still waiting. A friend of mine pulled a 160 on the December LSAT and applied mid-January got in this weekend. If I wasn't a California guy I'd send the Adcoms a "LOCI" with photocopies of my acceptances to Iowa and Minnesota and ask Davis to consider effing itself. Three months for the third-best school in a three-hour driving radius? This is insulting.

If there's one thing I learned from this process, it's that patience is indeed a virtue. Would you even want to attend Davis at this point? Sounds like you've made up your mind.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:31 pm

im assuming it takes a while for it to go from "awaiting evaluation" to "under evaluation" or whatever? I've been stuck on that awaiting for a longggg time.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:34 pm

lsatextreme wrote:im assuming it takes a while for it to go from "awaiting evaluation" to "under evaluation" or whatever? I've been stuck on that awaiting for a longggg time.

Yup, I think so. I am too. The good news is that once you move to being under evaluation the turnaround seems fairly quick

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:35 pm

lsatextreme wrote:im assuming it takes a while for it to go from "awaiting evaluation" to "under evaluation" or whatever? I've been stuck on that awaiting for a longggg time.

I was too. Like, forever. But eventually you are finally evaluated, and I hear that it doesnt take as long after you hit that stage. But Davis is horrendously slow.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm

HornetGuy wrote:Ugh. Went complete first week of December and I'm still waiting. A friend of mine pulled a 160 on the December LSAT and applied mid-January got in this weekend. If I wasn't a California guy I'd send the Adcoms a "LOCI" with photocopies of my acceptances to Iowa and Minnesota and ask Davis to consider effing itself. Three months for the third-best school in a three-hour driving radius? This is insulting.

Please do. Hopefully we won't have to see you here next year :wink:

HornetGuy

Postby HornetGuy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:05 pm

SBL wrote:

It's good that you haven't developed a sense of entitlement though.

Ah. :mrgreen: Someone from Davis talking about a sense of entitlement. Going to need my waders if the irony gets any deeper in here.

yo! wrote:

Please do. Hopefully we won't have to see you here next year :wink:

Yes gunner, last thing you need is someone else fighting over Cal's leftovers.

Best of luck to everyone else, seriously. It's a pretty campus, the Mondavi Center is gorgeous, the professors seemed great and engaged. Davis is a fun town if you like to bike and enjoy good Thai food. Fortunately for me the admissions glacier made a tough decision a little bit easier.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm

I just like the idea of someone walking into Dean Johnson's office, slamming an acceptance letter from Iowa on the table and yelling "Checkmate, motherfucker!"

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:00 pm

SBL wrote:I just like the idea of someone walking into Dean Johnson's office, slamming an acceptance letter from Iowa on the table and yelling "Checkmate, motherfucker!"

SBL, IIRC, you did OCI last semester, right? If so, can you comment on employment prospects of Davis grads? There are rumors here that Davis is gaming the ranking, and I am half-believing it, half not. So it will be good to get some inside perspectives.

boozehound

Postby boozehound » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm not too bright....but apparently UC Davis requires me to pay $28 to apply for need-based financial aid. That seems pretty stupid: "Hey poor guy, wanna bet $28 to see if we'll give you aid??"

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm

boozehound wrote:I'm not too bright....but apparently UC Davis requires me to pay $28 to apply for need-based financial aid. That seems pretty stupid: "Hey poor guy, wanna bet $28 to see if we'll give you aid??"

They aren't the only one.

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Tomorrow will mark two weeks since i have been under evaluation. I'm hoping to hear back within the next few days, Davis is my reach and definite number 1.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
SBL wrote:I just like the idea of someone walking into Dean Johnson's office, slamming an acceptance letter from Iowa on the table and yelling "Checkmate, motherfucker!"

SBL, IIRC, you did OCI last semester, right? If so, can you comment on employment prospects of Davis grads? There are rumors here that Davis is gaming the ranking, and I am half-believing it, half not. So it will be good to get some inside perspectives.

I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a school that doesn't game the rankings to some degree. That said, employers are nobody's fools. They're been hiring students from Davis and Hastings for years, and most of them already have informal GPA cutoffs pretty much set in stone. Davis being "top-30" or Hastings not isn't really going to change things, job prospects from either school are pretty much identical. The rankings would have to stay the way they are now, or even probably spread out further, and then stay that way for 10+ years for it to have much impact on job prospects at D v. H, and that's not likely to happen. Year-to-year fluctuations of the schools ranked 20-50 just don't register with firms as significant (nor should they, really).

As for OCI, I don't want to say too much on the forums, but I will say that I did not finish 1L in the top-10% and I have a firm job in the SF area.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 pm

SBL wrote:I think you'd be very hard-pressed to find a school that doesn't game the rankings to some degree. That said, employers are nobody's fools. They're been hiring students from Davis and Hastings for years, and most of them already have informal GPA cutoffs pretty much set in stone. Davis being "top-30" or Hastings not isn't really going to change things, job prospects from either school are pretty much identical. The rankings would have to stay the way they are now, or even probably spread out further, and then stay that way for 10+ years for it to have much impact on job prospects at D v. H, and that's not likely to happen. Year-to-year fluctuations of the schools ranked 20-50 just don't register with firms as significant (nor should they, really).

As for OCI, I don't want to say too much on the forums, but I will say that I did not finish 1L in the top-10% and I have a firm job in the SF area.

True. Don't know why I was naive to think that. Congrats on the firm job! I just feel like it's hard to get big firm jobs in SF, nowadays anyway, and with CA's budget, jobs in Sac are even harder to find.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Man I seriously laughed for like 2 minutes after reading that. If I ever write a screenplay about law school admissions, I'm stealing that line.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:19 pm

:lol:

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Well...I was more worried about dealing with your awful personality, but I guess it's now a non-issue since you've withdrawn. Congrats on the Minnesota and Iowa acceptances...lord knows that no one at Davis could have gotten those :roll:

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Accepted via snail mail postmarked 2/25/11. App sent on 11/1/10. Really have no idea when I went complete/in review because every time I checked it said "awaiting evaluation". 167/3.7

Good luck to those still waiting!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:Accepted via snail mail postmarked 2/25/11. App sent on 11/1/10. Really have no idea when I went complete/in review because every time I checked it said "awaiting evaluation". 167/3.7

oh wow, does yours still say awaiting evaluation then?

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 am

SortOfObsessed wrote:Accepted via snail mail postmarked 2/25/11. App sent on 11/1/10. Really have no idea when I went complete/in review because every time I checked it said "awaiting evaluation". 167/3.7

CONGRATS. You're probably looking at some money too. If you have any questions, let me know. Hope we see you were next year.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 am

yo! wrote:

Well...I was more worried about dealing with your awful personality, but I guess it's now a non-issue since you've withdrawn. Congrats on the Minnesota and Iowa acceptances...lord knows that no one at Davis could have gotten those :roll:

You're just jealous because year after year Iowa KILLS us in Des Moines biglaw placement.

(Even though, funny story, I ended up getting a callback at a firm in Des Moines last fall, and they were all really nice people.)

Postby 2807 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am

boozehound wrote:I'm not too bright....but apparently UC Davis requires me to pay $28 to apply for need-based financial aid. That seems pretty stupid: "Hey poor guy, wanna bet $28 to see if we'll give you aid??"

Yes, and I have a light on my dashboard that only comes on to tell me when my battery is low....

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:57 am

2807 wrote:

Yes, and I have a light on my dashboard that only comes on to tell me when my battery is low....

:lol:

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:24 am

Woo hoo checker moved to 'under evaluation' (or whatever it is) as of this AM when I checked it :) movement! Applied in mid/late Nov FWIW.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 am

lsatextreme wrote:

oh wow, does yours still say awaiting evaluation then?

No, it changed to decision finalized lol. Wouldn't that be cruel if they just left it at "awaiting evaluation" forever?

And I don't think I got any money. I'm in SF right now, my mom called to tell me she received the letter and there was no $ mentioned. :/

HornetGuy

Postby HornetGuy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 am

yo! wrote:

You're a great ambassador for your school. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by pointing out that I got into two similarly ranked schools in a third of the time. I didn't mean to offend, merely to point out - albeit in great frustration and with little tact (although it helped spin off a humorous sidebar I hear is being made into a screenplay) - that UC Davis' admit process is painstakingly long and possibly to its detriment. I humbly prostrate myself at the benevolent mercy of all the kids who didn't get into Berkeley/Stanford/UCLA/USC/Irvine.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”