UC Davis 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
J Burrito

Bronze

Re: UC Davis 2011

Post by J Burrito » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 pm

yo! wrote:I received my grant two days after my acceptance, but I wasn't accepted until April, so I don't know how long your wait will be. Definitely do the need access. It's a pain in the ass, but definitely worth seeing how much you get. Generally, the grants will increase over your three years here (at least that's what I've heard-because law students generally become poorer). Since I didn't work over 1L year (and I'm doing unpaid PI work over the summer), I'm hoping to get a grant for 2L. If you're not happy with your grant, look for other ways to get money. There are a few merit scholarships/public interest fellowships available, so ask for them! A 15 minute email literally saved me tens of thousands of tuition dollars.
Shouldn't you be paying attention to Perschbacher?

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm

toster19 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
yo! wrote:
Sadly, there's no guarantee of anything.
Definitely. I want to make it even more clear that what I'm saying means absolutely nothing. I certainly don't want a bunch of PM's from people who are mad that their award wasn't up to the number that I said. Why aren't you heading to UVA?
I have less than 0.00001% desire to live in Virginia for any length of time. The possibility of having to work on the east coast / Virginia / anywhere within 1500 miles of that state bothers me significantly. Irrational? A-yep, but I'll trade making $120,000 a year and being miserable for making half that and being happy with life any day of the week.

When do you think UCD will get back to us with grant offers? I guess I should do that stupid Need Access garbage.
I got an email from Davis saying that I will likely qualify for 12k in grants. I make pretty decent money so I was expecting to be at the bottom of the barrel in terms of need based money for year 1. I turned in my need access about a week ago.
Have you already been accepted? I'm curious if I can still get that estimate from Financial Aid despite still awaiting evaluation.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

yo! wrote:I received my grant two days after my acceptance, but I wasn't accepted until April, so I don't know how long your wait will be. Definitely do the need access. It's a pain in the ass, but definitely worth seeing how much you get. Generally, the grants will increase over your three years here (at least that's what I've heard-because law students generally become poorer). Since I didn't work over 1L year (and I'm doing unpaid PI work over the summer), I'm hoping to get a grant for 2L. If you're not happy with your grant, look for other ways to get money. There are a few merit scholarships/public interest fellowships available, so ask for them! A 15 minute email literally saved me tens of thousands of tuition dollars.
Sounds like a plan!

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:44 pm

i don't want to pay the fee for the need access application and not know if ill be admitted but its do march second. I wonder if they give me a refund if they reject me?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 pm

jasonc. wrote:i don't want to pay the fee for the need access application and not know if ill be admitted but its do march second. I wonder if they give me a refund if they reject me?
Refund? LOL!

I really doubt it. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Aggiegrad: I've been out of UG for 5 years. I'm currently a high school teacher and have no debt. Obviously I dont make a lot of money, but compared to someone in their senior year of college carrying excess I'm considered not very needy by a financial aid office for my first year. The grant doesn't seem renewable. It seems like when I apply next year they will reassess us all and over new grants based on our updated need. However, this was just an estimate they sent me stating, "a preliminary analysis of your Need Access application indicates you will likely qualify for $12,000 in grant aid for academic year 2011-2012."

jwmalone: I was accepted in January, filed my need access about a week ago, and received the info this morning. Again, its not a grant offer, but an estimate.

jasonc: There is only one fee for the need access no matter how many schools you file with. If you will be filling it for at least one school you might as well just put all of those you are waiting on on your list at no extra charge.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:22 pm

J Burrito wrote:
Shouldn't you be paying attention to Perschbacher?
haha...I'm trying to help people here. This is important shit : )

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Ohhh hey! I emailed an LOCI to Davis today (updated my current employment info- up for promotion since app) and they said that my app will be reviewed shortly. :) <- False hope??

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:31 pm

Sigh! It's the ONLY school that requires need app. It just another way to get Money out of people. I guess I ll forgoe 5 days worth of lunch money...I seem to have a decent shot of getting in :x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cblawstudent2014

New

Post by cblawstudent2014 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:53 pm

I applied one of my top choices

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm

I'm withdrawing from the WL today because I just got into Hastings! Good luck to everyone waiting!

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:17 am

Damn you, Davis, with your generic financial aid email today...briefly saw who it was from and nearly freaked. I hope you'll be providing financial aid in the event of my heart attack.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Damn you, Davis, with your generic financial aid email today...briefly saw who it was from and nearly freaked. I hope you'll be providing financial aid in the event of my heart attack.
my thoughts exactly. The worst part is that I was desperately trying to read between the lines that somehow the email was only for admitted students but they seemed quite adamant with their "This general notice is being sent to ALL APPLICANTS...In no way does receipt of this email constitute a decision by the UC Davis School of Law Admission Office." that it meant nothing :( I'm going to pretend it's only for admitted students and my awaiting eval status is just them playing hard to get :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 am

samfii wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:Damn you, Davis, with your generic financial aid email today...briefly saw who it was from and nearly freaked. I hope you'll be providing financial aid in the event of my heart attack.
my thoughts exactly. The worst part is that I was desperately trying to read between the lines that somehow the email was only for admitted students but they seemed quite adamant with their "This general notice is being sent to ALL APPLICANTS...In no way does receipt of this email constitute a decision by the UC Davis School of Law Admission Office." that it meant nothing :( I'm going to pretend it's only for admitted students and my awaiting eval status is just them playing hard to get :D
Haha ditto this entire statement! :)

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:38 pm

krad wrote:
samfii wrote:
Haha ditto this entire statement! :)
They want us, krad. They want us bad.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 pm

samfii wrote: They want us, krad. They want us bad.
Let's hope so!!

minky

New

Post by minky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 pm

OMG OMG I just checked my status and I'm IN AT DAVIS!! Best day ever! Good luck to everyone that's still waiting! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 pm

minky wrote:OMG OMG I just checked my status and I'm IN AT DAVIS!! Best day ever! Good luck to everyone that's still waiting! :D
Congrats!!!! What are your numbers? (or can you PM them )

minky

New

Post by minky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:08 pm

samfii wrote:
minky wrote:OMG OMG I just checked my status and I'm IN AT DAVIS!! Best day ever! Good luck to everyone that's still waiting! :D
Sent you a msg..

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

minky wrote:
samfii wrote:
Sent you a msg..

Thank you :)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Congrats to those of you who got in. For those of you on the WL, they tend to have a preference for high-GPA over high-LSAT once the LSAT median is more or less locked in for the entering class, so if you're sitting at a 3.8+ with a bad LSAT score, now is definitely the time to write them one hell of a LOCI because things look pretty good for you.

And don't listen to the 1Ls talking about paying attention in civpro, everyone just learns that class by reading the E&E the week before finals.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HornetGuy

New

Post by HornetGuy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Ugh. Went complete first week of December and I'm still waiting. A friend of mine pulled a 160 on the December LSAT and applied mid-January got in this weekend. If I wasn't a California guy I'd send the Adcoms a "LOCI" with photocopies of my acceptances to Iowa and Minnesota and ask Davis to consider effing itself. Three months for the third-best school in a three-hour driving radius? This is insulting.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 pm

HornetGuy wrote:Ugh. Went complete first week of December and I'm still waiting. A friend of mine pulled a 160 on the December LSAT and applied mid-January got in this weekend. If I wasn't a California guy I'd send the Adcoms a "LOCI" with photocopies of my acceptances to Iowa and Minnesota and ask Davis to consider effing itself. Three months for the third-best school in a three-hour driving radius? This is insulting.
It's good that you haven't developed a sense of entitlement though.

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Waitlisted, which is a positive surprise. Numbers are in my profile. CA resident and UC alumnus with decent work exp. Davis would be my top choice for me and I am definitely coming to visit the campus to check everything out. Ex gf went to Davis for UG and I really like the town. I'm a splitter (barely) so I'd have to get pretty lucky. Any other waitlisters?

berkeleyman

New

Post by berkeleyman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

SBL wrote:
HornetGuy wrote:Ugh. Went complete first week of December and I'm still waiting. A friend of mine pulled a 160 on the December LSAT and applied mid-January got in this weekend. If I wasn't a California guy I'd send the Adcoms a "LOCI" with photocopies of my acceptances to Iowa and Minnesota and ask Davis to consider effing itself. Three months for the third-best school in a three-hour driving radius? This is insulting.
It's good that you haven't developed a sense of entitlement though.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”