UC Davis 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
samfii

Bronze

Re: UC Davis 2011

Post by samfii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Does anyone know when the first deposit is due at Davis?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm

My admissions packet says

On or before April 15 - $250 is due

Then again another seat deposit due on or before June 15

amers73

Bronze

Post by amers73 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:07 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:My admissions packet says

:shock: Davis will probably not have a decision for me by April 15.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:08 pm

amers73 wrote:

:shock: Davis will probably not have a decision for me by April 15.
Guh me either :|

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah, I don't know how they can expect you to put a seat deposit down by Apr 15 when they might not even have all their decisions out, but there it is =/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Yeah, I don't know how they can expect you to put a seat deposit down by Apr 15 when they might not even have all their decisions out, but there it is =/
I guess at least it's less $ than other schools, if someone was really in a bind... $250 << $500-$800

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:52 pm

krad wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Yeah, I don't know how they can expect you to put a seat deposit down by Apr 15 when they might not even have all their decisions out, but there it is =/
I guess at least it's less $ than other schools, if someone was really in a bind... $250 << $500-$800
Well, yeah, except the June deposit is another $500. LOL.

I like the UW deposit. $100 and it's counted toward tuition.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
krad wrote:
Well, yeah, except the June deposit is another $500. LOL.

I like the UW deposit. $100 and it's counted toward tuition.
Trueeee that!

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks aggie :) I'm glad to see you're having an awesome cycle btw :)

I doubt I will get a decision by then either... I'm still awaiting evaluation. Ughhh... I wonder, do you guys think if they accepted me, would they be receptive to negotiating with a UIUC scholarship? I'd be really interested in Davis if they would offer my any money, even a small amount. I just wish they would give me a decision!!! :-/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 pm

It's been just over a week since i went into evaluation.. so i'm guessing by the end of next week i'll finally have an answer. quite nerve wrecking.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:36 pm

samfii wrote:

I doubt I will get a decision by then either... I'm still awaiting evaluation. Ughhh... I wonder, do you guys think if they accepted me, would they be receptive to negotiating with a UIUC scholarship? I'd be really interested in Davis if they would offer my any money, even a small amount. I just wish they would give me a decision!!! :-/
Thanks :D I am more or less happy with this cycle. The UVA acceptance did wonders for my ego even if I am not going to attend. Made the ding sting slightly less from Cornell and the rest of the T14 (I am sure my ding from NU is coming...)

From what I can gather from my time hanging around King Hall, they don't do the renegotiation game too much because, like the rest of California, they're pretty cash-strapped. It sure can't hurt but I don't know that they'd really give you much for it. Merit-based aid and the UC system do not mix.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
samfii wrote:

Thanks :D I am more or less happy with this cycle. The UVA acceptance did wonders for my ego even if I am not going to attend. Made the ding sting slightly less from Cornell and the rest of the T14 (I am sure my ding from NU is coming...)

From what I can gather from my time hanging around King Hall, they don't do the renegotiation game too much because, like the rest of California, they're pretty cash-strapped. It sure can't hurt but I don't know that they'd really give you much for it. Merit-based aid and the UC system do not mix.
An acceptance to UVA for a nonURM reverse splitter is definitely something to gloat about :) you should be really proud of yourself!
As for Davis' cash-strapped-ness, I kind of figured. I'm at a UC now, so I've been feeling the budget wrath for four years now. But you're right I'll definitely try (if they ever decide to let me in and haven't disposed of my application yet :P)

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 pm

Also I noticed that to some extent the UC's can get away with giving less $$ because a lot of their applicants want to stay in California no matter what, even if it means taking less $$ or going to a less highly ranked school.

Anyways I am still awaiting evaluation, which is frustrating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Also I noticed that to some extent the UC's can get away with giving less $$ because a lot of their applicants want to stay in California no matter what, even if it means taking less $$ or going to a less highly ranked school.

Anyways I am still awaiting evaluation, which is frustrating.
Certainly... it was a very difficult decision for me to pull up anchor and head out but what must be done must be done.

Sticker at these schools makes me sick to think about... that is so much money D:

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
samfii wrote:

It doesn't happen a lot, but I can promise you that negotiating for increased aid is possible. I leveraged other offers to negotiate a larger award, and I personally know at least one other person that did the same thing. Also FYI, our deposits count towards tuition as well. For those still waiting: I didn't get accepted until early april, so don't lose hope. I had dinner with a professor that sat on the admissions committee a few weeks ago. He was happy to explain exactly how the admissions process worked. Basically, UCD admissions is slow as hell because the applications are read extensively by every member of the admissions committee. My point: Don't assume that a long wait = reject/WL.

For those already on the waitlist: Getting off is very doable. Just make it clear that you REALLY want to attend. They really want people who will fit well into the King Hall community.

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:12 pm

yo! wrote:It doesn't happen a lot, but I can promise you that negotiating for increased aid is possible. I leveraged other offers to negotiate a larger award, and I personally know at least one other person that did the same thing. Also FYI, our deposits count towards tuition as well. For those still waiting: I didn't get accepted until early april, so don't lose hope. I had dinner with a professor that sat on the admissions committee a few weeks ago. He was happy to explain exactly how the admissions process worked. Basically, UCD admissions is slow as hell because the applications are read extensively by every member of the admissions committee. My point: Don't assume that a long wait = reject/WL.

For those already on the waitlist: Getting off is very doable. Just make it clear that you REALLY want to attend. They really want people who will fit well into the King Hall community.
I've heard that need-based grants at the UCs aren't uncommon. Have you heard the same, and if so, how much would they range?

I've mostly given up hope of a meaningful scholarship but landing a decent need-based grant (I have a EFC of 0 on the FAFSA, got max awards in undergrad, etc) could sway me to Davis.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
yo! wrote:It doesn't happen a lot, but I can promise you that negotiating for increased aid is possible. I leveraged other offers to negotiate a larger award, and I personally know at least one other person that did the same thing. Also FYI, our deposits count towards tuition as well. For those still waiting: I didn't get accepted until early april, so don't lose hope. I had dinner with a professor that sat on the admissions committee a few weeks ago. He was happy to explain exactly how the admissions process worked. Basically, UCD admissions is slow as hell because the applications are read extensively by every member of the admissions committee. My point: Don't assume that a long wait = reject/WL.

I've heard that need-based grants at the UCs aren't uncommon. Have you heard the same, and if so, how much would they range?

I've mostly given up hope of a meaningful scholarship but landing a decent need-based grant (I have a EFC of 0 on the FAFSA, got max awards in undergrad, etc) could sway me to Davis.
DO NOT rely on this info, but I'd bet that 0 EFC will get you at least 20K (prlly more) in grant money. Most everyone here gets some type of aid, and the minimum need based grant was 12K last year. I think the highest ones were like 25-30K. I was sort of an anomaly, in that I got $0 in grant money. My wife and I both had good jobs prior to law school, so my EFC was very high. Luckily I was able to negotiate a decent merit based scholarship. Don't take my advice too seriously though, because my information is only based on what other students have told me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm

yo! wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

DO NOT rely on this info, but I'd bet that 0 EFC will get you at least 20K (prlly more) in grant money. Most everyone here gets some type of aid, and the minimum need based grant was 12K last year. I think the highest ones were like 25-30K. I was sort of an anomaly, in that I got $0 in grant money. My wife and I both had good jobs prior to law school, so my EFC was very high. Luckily I was able to negotiate a decent merit based scholarship. Don't take my advice too seriously though, because my information is only based on what other students have told me.
I wish they'd tell me, because if they offered me 25-30k in grant $ I'd be happy with keeping this apt. here in Davis another 3 years. That would offset the expense of moving, etc, to UW.

Sadly, there's no guarantee of anything.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Definitely. I want to make it even more clear that what I'm saying means absolutely nothing. I certainly don't want a bunch of PM's from people who are mad that their award wasn't up to the number that I said. Why aren't you heading to UVA?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:50 pm

yo! wrote:
Definitely. I want to make it even more clear that what I'm saying means absolutely nothing. I certainly don't want a bunch of PM's from people who are mad that their award wasn't up to the number that I said. Why aren't you heading to UVA?
I have less than 0.00001% desire to live in Virginia for any length of time. The possibility of having to work on the east coast / Virginia / anywhere within 1500 miles of that state bothers me significantly. Irrational? A-yep, but I'll trade making $120,000 a year and being miserable for making half that and being happy with life any day of the week.

When do you think UCD will get back to us with grant offers? I guess I should do that stupid Need Access garbage.

equinebeing

New

Post by equinebeing » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 am

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the prospect of having to leave Davis. I love living at The Trees, I love Unitrans, I love the Davis residents and most of all I love Woodstocks Pizza.

But it had to end someday I guess! Good luck on your apps everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toster19

New

Post by toster19 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
yo! wrote:
I have less than 0.00001% desire to live in Virginia for any length of time. The possibility of having to work on the east coast / Virginia / anywhere within 1500 miles of that state bothers me significantly. Irrational? A-yep, but I'll trade making $120,000 a year and being miserable for making half that and being happy with life any day of the week.

When do you think UCD will get back to us with grant offers? I guess I should do that stupid Need Access garbage.

I got an email from Davis saying that I will likely qualify for 12k in grants. I make pretty decent money so I was expecting to be at the bottom of the barrel in terms of need based money for year 1. I turned in my need access about a week ago.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm

equinebeing wrote:Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the prospect of having to leave Davis. I love living at The Trees, I love Unitrans, I love the Davis residents and most of all I love Woodstocks Pizza.

But it had to end someday I guess! Good luck on your apps everyone!
Don't forget Sophia's, and Cultive.... *sigh* I will so much this place.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:21 pm

toster19 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
yo! wrote:

I got an email from Davis saying that I will likely qualify for 12k in grants. I make pretty decent money so I was expecting to be at the bottom of the barrel in terms of need based money for year 1. I turned in my need access about a week ago.
Hmmm.. I guess I better get on that need access. 20k+ in grants would be a game-changer for me, big time. That would even up the tally a bit for UCD. Thanks for the tip... I'll find the time to get that need access crap done.

May I ask if you're a non-traditional (age 25+) student? Also, did it seem like that grant would be renewable? Nothing would be worse than committing to a school, going through 1L then having your grant pulled from you and going back to sticker.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I received my grant two days after my acceptance, but I wasn't accepted until April, so I don't know how long your wait will be. Definitely do the need access. It's a pain in the ass, but definitely worth seeing how much you get. Generally, the grants will increase over your three years here (at least that's what I've heard-because law students generally become poorer). Since I didn't work over 1L year (and I'm doing unpaid PI work over the summer), I'm hoping to get a grant for 2L. If you're not happy with your grant, look for other ways to get money. There are a few merit scholarships/public interest fellowships available, so ask for them! A 15 minute email literally saved me tens of thousands of tuition dollars.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”