Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ersatz Haderach

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I forgot about OneNote. How could I forget about OneNote?

wileyman02

Postby wileyman02 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:02 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Why is Case Western's bar passage rate lower than the state average by 4%? I think even Akron has a higher bar rate.

It's not that low anymore. In fact, Case now has the highest passage rate in the state. Seems the school went through a rough patch for a while in regards to the bar, but the interim dean helped get those numbers back up. Hopefully the trend continues! See the links below.

http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/AttySv ... 10jul2.pdf
http://law.case.edu/Home/News/tabid/251 ... fault.aspx

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:07 am

Very true. I believe we even have a 3L class you can take in the spring to basically guarantee you pass it. If you're only taking Ohio, you probably don't even need to pay for bar review, but I obviously haven't taken said class, so proceed with caution.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
hds2388 wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:So, I am curious to get a little bit of feed back from the students going to Case. How much do you study per day/week and what kind of grades does this leave you with (I totally understand if you don't want to share grades.) Also, how competitive is the school, I read an article on AboveTheLaw blog about someone tearing out pages from a book, seems rather extreme. And finally, how is the student body, when I went for my visit they seemed rather dorky.

At a minimum, you should treat law school like a full-time job. You're in class for about 12-15 hours a week, so you should be studying at least two hours for every classroom hour. If you can do it in less, great, you're fortunate. If you need more, you need to spend more. It's about quality, not quantity, but there are very few people who can do it without a lot of quantity as well. You want to be able to understand the key concepts from memory in a concise way. The facts of whatever case are not important; just use them to get the concept and don't worry if you can't recite them from memory when you're called upon. It might feel awkward, but you're not graded on your cold-call performance unless you just repeatedly decline to answer, and even then it's probably a minor penalty.

When in doubt, read the text again. Check the 'articles about law school by law students' section on this site.

I got by with FAR less than this amount of studying, where get by equals top 2%. I know that its not the same for everyone, but before you spend 30 hours a week outside of class, understand that the time you spend studying is related to your engagement with the course. If you feel you are following the professor and can not only engage with the material but make the leaps in reasoning before the professor gets to them, then you are in good shape. Again, its personal depending on your learning style, but for me, this was roughly an hour outside of class for every hour in class. Not to completely rip Ersatz Haderach's answer, just to reiterate the best part of it: how much time you spend studying should be independent of how much time anyone else spends studying.

I'm about to be a creeper and say I think I know who you are. Did you CALI in con law? I'm also about to say eh, I mean, you can get a comparable PC, but, PC's have so many more issues. I almost never have problems with my mac, so, for me it's worth the extra money. Plus, it's easy to find someone to borrow a charger from when you forget yours. Either way though, a computer is a computer.

I did not CALI con law. Sorry!

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am

So...2012 applicant 'nya...I received a fee waiver from Case yesterday and thought, Ohai! Now playing with the thought of applying.

How have you guys come to term with the fact that Case is in Cleveland?

ravkhinda

Postby ravkhinda » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 am

I went to visit Case Western and liked it. I didn't get to see too much of Cleveland because I stayed close to the University. I like the area, and could easily see my self there for the immediate future. There was a lot to do as far as restaurants, bars, sports, and the area appeared to be culturally diverse. It's much like any other mid-size city. The only thing I am not sure about is the snow, I am coming from Texas and never had to deal with snow expect while skiing.

It also depends on the person, if you are the type of person that always sees the glass half empty, then you will find nothing but negatives in Cleveland, however if you are the optimistic type then you can appreciate and enjoy Cleveland.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 am

I've only been there once, but I've heard awful things. Por ejemplo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:43 am

Ginj wrote:I've only been there once, but I've heard awful things. Por ejemplo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM.

Ask inck if you really want to know about Cleveland. Yes, I followed you here. >_>

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:48 am

Muenchen wrote:
Ginj wrote:I've only been there once, but I've heard awful things. Por ejemplo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM.

Ask inck if you really want to know about Cleveland. Yes, I followed you here. >_>

...stalker...

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:30 am

I grew up in Cleveland, so I'm more familiar with the good parts (and the bad ones). Cleveland is like a bunch of grapes; certain parts are great, certain ones are totally rotten. The area around Case is pretty good; Cleveland Heights is okay; some of the outlying suburbs are beautiful, Chagrin Falls is like an idealized Main Street, USA. I personally like the near west side, where there are now three breweries and a ton of new restaurants, and think downtown will get better. People are choosing to live downtown in greater and greater numbers. I could have gone to school in NYC or Chicago, but I felt like I could make more of a difference here in terms of things I'd do outside of work.

The real concern for someone enrolling here (assuming it's already one of their best school choices) is whether the Cleveland area offers a good long-term living/work situation, and I think it can. The public schools in the outer suburbs are very good, the private schools are very good, and for the eight months of the year that aren't wintery, the weather is really nice, and you have the lake and the metroparks. And if you don't like downtown, well, all the corporate HQs are relocating to the nice suburbs, but they're staying in the area.

Ask me anything you want about the city and the area.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:32 pm

hds2388 wrote:
I did not CALI con law. Sorry!

Ohh boo. The guessing game continues.

As for the cleveland thing... you get used to it.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 pm

When do we get our schedule? We will be taking 4 classes first semester? Torts, Contracts, Criminal Law, and Lawyering Skills? And will we be in these classes with the same people? (I know, total n00b question)

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:When do we get our schedule? We will be taking 4 classes first semester? Torts, Contracts, Criminal Law, and Lawyering Skills? And will we be in these classes with the same people? (I know, total n00b question)

You get your schedule during orientation. Yes, those are the four classes, and yes, they are all with the same people. There are less people in "lawyering skills" aka CORE though. Those people will be called your "firm." Your firm will probably either wind up being your best friends, or you'll never talk to them.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Sounds good! Also, does case have only essay exams or will we see partial multiple choice? I guess it depends on the prof? :P

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Sounds good! Also, does case have only essay exams or will we see partial multiple choice? I guess it depends on the prof? :P

Depends on the teacher. Most are essay. Some people have partial multiple choice. I know the IP elective is all multiple choice (but beware, that final is horriffic. It's everything you've never learned in the class, so it comes down to a guessing game. The class is great, but, consider the shittyness of the final before choosing that class as your elective.)

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:08 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Sounds good! Also, does case have only essay exams or will we see partial multiple choice? I guess it depends on the prof? :P

Depends on the teacher. Most are essay. Some people have partial multiple choice. I know the IP elective is all multiple choice (but beware, that final is horriffic. It's everything you've never learned in the class, so it comes down to a guessing game. The class is great, but, consider the shittyness of the final before choosing that class as your elective.)

haha guess i wont be taking that class. thanks for the heads up

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

Actually, I take that back. I really did enjoy the class. Just study differently than you otherwise would. Honestly, I'd recommend reading most of the textbook, not just what he assigned. I mean, doing that would suck, but, if you like IP, I wouldn't let a stupid final stop you. Plus, a few of my friends and I are considering going to the teacher, to see if he understands how absurd his final was.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

Actually, I take that back. I really did enjoy the class. Just study differently than you otherwise would. Honestly, I'd recommend reading most of the textbook, not just what he assigned. I mean, doing that would suck, but, if you like IP, I wouldn't let a stupid final stop you. Plus, a few of my friends and I are considering going to the teacher, to see if he understands how absurd his final was.

LOL, I really really want to know how this turn out. Please let us know! Maybe you should shoot the new dean an e-mail, he seems to be real respective.

deebo12

Postby deebo12 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Last edited by deebo12 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DorothyV

Postby DorothyV » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:20 pm

deebo12 wrote:I am in a pickle.

I planned to apply to schools this fall after taking the June LSAT. Did alright, and was notified at some point by Case that they were still accepting for fall 2011. I applied, along with applying to CSU. Got into Case, haven't heard back from CSU yet. I'm going to badger them Monday about whether any money is attached to the offer, but if not, I may still go. Thing is, it's so late in this process that I'm not sure if I can get all the funding together by the time school begins. Not only that, but I have some doubts about Cleveland. I am from NE Ohio, so I know it well. I don't know if I want to end up working there. Going to school there, fine. But I want to have a reasonable chance at working at least in southern Ohio, if not maybe in NY or elsewhere. I suppose that means that going to CSU would lower my chances even further of working outside of Cleveland, but at least it's cheaper. This is all very hypothetical, but I thought I'd see if anyone has some thoughts.

If you want to work outside of Cleveland, then CSU is not for you. It is strictly a regional school.

For southern Ohio, U of Cincinnati would be the best choice. You can try emailing the ad coms and find out if they have any space in their class left.

I'm not sure how Case places in southern Ohio, but half of its graduates get jobs out of state. (http://law.case.edu/careerservices/Pros ... stics.aspx). I can't remember where I read it, but I think New York comes after Ohio as the state where Case places most of its grads. One of the current students can probably give you more detailed info on this.

If you are not sure you want to attend Case (or CSU), I'd recommend you wait a year and apply to some additional schools instead of paying sticker price for a school you probably won't be happy with.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey guys,
I'm looking to get out of my current lease (not because of any problems with it). If any incoming students are looking for a place, I have a 1br on overlook (very popular neighborhood for law students). My apartment has free wifi, free heat, free water, free parking space. Very good condition. I am willing to negotiate rent on the sublease. PM for details.

ukw2011

Postby ukw2011 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey everyone! First time post here :) I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on bags? I know that there are lockers in the building, but I won't be bringing a car with me to Cleveland so I want to be sure to get a bag that can endure toting around all the books to and from my apartment and there are some good sales going on where I live. Thanks!

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 pm

Get a backpack, not a shoulder bag. They're heavy. And I'd recommend leaving most of your books at school and making friends with the library. Carrying stuff back and forth to your apartment is going to be a chore, especially if you live in the Heights.

Pisto3

Postby Pisto3 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

Okay, here's what I did and it worked for me, but I know most / all 1Ls will be hesitant to do this...

I used a messenger bag and never lugged around heavy books...

First of all, I got used books, sometimes a previous edition if available. I experienced precisely 0 times that I was unprepared for class or noticed ANY changes in the text besides a page number difference between my study partners with new books and myself. (Exception: buy new editions of Bluebook and FRCP) Some of my "previous edition" books were $8-$10 online as opposed to $150-$200 new.

I tore the bindings out of my textbooks and punched 3-ring holes in the sides of the pages I needed. I had one for every class. On the days that I had that class, I brought the binder with the pages for the week including a couple classes before and after, just in case. I never had a problem with this and since my books were cheap anyways, I didn't care about tearing them apart.

P.S. - You will never use these textbooks in practice...every Associate will tell you that the books are meaningless except as shelf candy at home (not in the office since everyone there knows it's a 1L textbook). You won't need them for the BAR, either, you get everything you need from BarBri or Kaplan.

I know that most of you will not take this advice because everyone is too afraid to buy an old textbook and tear it apart, but know that it works and you can save yourself a backache and a ton of cash.

Pisto3

Postby Pisto3 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:06 am

On that note, I'm actually transferring to a different school for the fall and I have all of my old supplements (I have TONS) and textbooks (I was a counselor). If ANY OF YOU need/want this stuff please call me ASAP - Private Message me for my number. I live in Cleveland Heights and I am MOVING on SATURDAY. I'm willing to take whatever I can get for them; literally, they are going out to the curb on Saturday afternoon if I don't get rid of them before then. First one with a quasi-reasonable (I'm very very very flexible) offer gets them. I probably spent close to $800 on 1L supps and these worked wonders for me. Hit me up if you want them...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”