Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ersatz Haderach

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Target was 205, former Dean is on the record as saying that. Somehow, we are 235.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Target was 205, former Dean is on the record as saying that. Somehow, we are 235.

TY

ravkhinda

Postby ravkhinda » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I finally committed to Case Western. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:I'm going to go, but I'm aware that I'll likely only get a couple of interviews and no callbacks. I think my odds of getting a job are better if I just hang out at the bars on E. 4th street and talk shit with bored associates.

I've been doing happy hour every week on E. 4th. $1 domestics and $2 everything else at the HOB.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:59 am

Hey guys, got off the wl. Any chance I might get some money, my status checker says under required form' transcript and scholarship form. My numbers are below 25th percentile, can I still get something? Did everyone that had the scholarship form appear on the required list get something?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:43 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, got off the wl. Any chance I might get some money, my status checker says under required form' transcript and scholarship form. My numbers are below 25th percentile, can I still get something? Did everyone that had the scholarship form appear on the required list get something?

No - I was admitted and not offered a scholarship but had that on my list of requirements.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:24 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, got off the wl. Any chance I might get some money, my status checker says under required form' transcript and scholarship form. My numbers are below 25th percentile, can I still get something? Did everyone that had the scholarship form appear on the required list get something?

No - I was admitted and not offered a scholarship but had that on my list of requirements.

will you be attending?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:38 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:

will you be attending?

I won't be - CWRU's slip in the rankings, the lack of funding, and the distance from my home (and target market) lead me to chose another school.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:06 am

So, I am curious to get a little bit of feed back from the students going to Case. How much do you study per day/week and what kind of grades does this leave you with (I totally understand if you don't want to share grades.) Also, how competitive is the school, I read an article on AboveTheLaw blog about someone tearing out pages from a book, seems rather extreme. And finally, how is the student body, when I went for my visit they seemed rather dorky.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:46 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:So, I am curious to get a little bit of feed back from the students going to Case. How much do you study per day/week and what kind of grades does this leave you with (I totally understand if you don't want to share grades.) Also, how competitive is the school, I read an article on AboveTheLaw blog about someone tearing out pages from a book, seems rather extreme. And finally, how is the student body, when I went for my visit they seemed rather dorky.

At a minimum, you should treat law school like a full-time job. You're in class for about 12-15 hours a week, so you should be studying at least two hours for every classroom hour. If you can do it in less, great, you're fortunate. If you need more, you need to spend more. It's about quality, not quantity, but there are very few people who can do it without a lot of quantity as well. You want to be able to understand the key concepts from memory in a concise way. The facts of whatever case are not important; just use them to get the concept and don't worry if you can't recite them from memory when you're called upon. It might feel awkward, but you're not graded on your cold-call performance unless you just repeatedly decline to answer, and even then it's probably a minor penalty.

When in doubt, read the text again. Check the 'articles about law school by law students' section on this site.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:46 am

Thanks! That was helpful.

mckeeper1

Postby mckeeper1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Since Erstaz and Snowpeach have been so helpful on here, I thought I would just throw this out there - what laptop do you recommend? I have an older Dell that is pretty beat up from undergrad and am going to be purchasing a new one. I am curious to know what type most students at Case have and if Case has any suggestions (I cannot seem to find any on the Case or IT website).

Thanks!

ravkhinda

Postby ravkhinda » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:40 pm

MacBook or nothing!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:So, I am curious to get a little bit of feed back from the students going to Case. How much do you study per day/week and what kind of grades does this leave you with (I totally understand if you don't want to share grades.) Also, how competitive is the school, I read an article on AboveTheLaw blog about someone tearing out pages from a book, seems rather extreme. And finally, how is the student body, when I went for my visit they seemed rather dorky.

I don't study all that much. During the semester, I basically just do my reading. Maybe 2-4 hours a day. Come middle of the semester, I should have, but didn't begin to outline. So then come a month before finals, I start studying pretty much all the time. I'm just under top 20% (although, I should be top 20% if just a few people transfer.)

As for computers... most people have macs. I love my mac. But, it doesn't really matter. They do separate you by computer type for finals though.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 pm

The reason Macs are generally more welcomed is that they have higher-quality displays (this makes a difference, since you'll be staring at it a lot) and a smoother interface (see also: iPhone), and I enjoy them as well. That said, the things that matter are: Good display, good/quiet keyboard, fast processor, light. You can do that with a Mac, you can do that with a Dell. Stay away from HP, IMHO. Too many hardware problems in the past.

Oh, and you get Office 2010/Windows Ultimate for free, if you want.

Suggestion: Don't use a laptop in class if you think you'll end up browsing the net a lot. This doesn't apply if you have a photographic memory and only need to study here and there, but I generally did better when I put the computer away and listened. In certain classes, I don't blame you if you try and fail to pay attention all the time.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Why is Case Western's bar passage rate lower than the state average by 4%? I think even Akron has a higher bar rate.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:07 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Why is Case Western's bar passage rate lower than the state average by 4%? I think even Akron has a higher bar rate.

That figure only measures the Ohio bar passage. All the smartest students leave Ohio.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Also, I will share with you guys my minor life victory today: I got offers from both the International Law journal and the Journal of Law Technology in the Arts. Deciding which one to do is gonna be hard, but, having a choice also feels kind of awesome. Next best thing to law review.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks for the info. and Congrats!!!

I know we talked about job prospects but what do you guys think job prospects for for middle of the road students, someone who places 50% - will they be struggling to find a 45K job or is it possible to seek the "median" salary that the school advertises?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Thanks for the info. and Congrats!!!

I know we talked about job prospects but what do you guys think job prospects for for middle of the road students, someone who places 50% - will they be struggling to find a 45K job or is it possible to seek the "median" salary that the school advertises?

No idea honestly. And I think anyone who answers this question would only be guessing. But, if you want my guess: I think median students will be employed within 6 months after graduation. I also think you'd be kidding yourself to think you'll be making three figures. Plan on a low starting salary and then you won't be disappointed.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Thanks for the info. and Congrats!!!

No idea honestly. And I think anyone who answers this question would only be guessing. But, if you want my guess: I think median students will be employed within 6 months after graduation. I also think you'd be kidding yourself to think you'll be making three figures. Plan on a low starting salary and then you won't be disappointed.

I never thought of a 3 figure, but how low is low? Thanks for the honest answer.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:

At a minimum, you should treat law school like a full-time job. You're in class for about 12-15 hours a week, so you should be studying at least two hours for every classroom hour. If you can do it in less, great, you're fortunate. If you need more, you need to spend more. It's about quality, not quantity, but there are very few people who can do it without a lot of quantity as well. You want to be able to understand the key concepts from memory in a concise way. The facts of whatever case are not important; just use them to get the concept and don't worry if you can't recite them from memory when you're called upon. It might feel awkward, but you're not graded on your cold-call performance unless you just repeatedly decline to answer, and even then it's probably a minor penalty.

When in doubt, read the text again. Check the 'articles about law school by law students' section on this site.

I got by with FAR less than this amount of studying, where get by equals top 2%. I know that its not the same for everyone, but before you spend 30 hours a week outside of class, understand that the time you spend studying is related to your engagement with the course. If you feel you are following the professor and can not only engage with the material but make the leaps in reasoning before the professor gets to them, then you are in good shape. Again, its personal depending on your learning style, but for me, this was roughly an hour outside of class for every hour in class. Not to completely rip Ersatz Haderach's answer, just to reiterate the best part of it: how much time you spend studying should be independent of how much time anyone else spends studying.

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:31 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:

I don't study all that much. During the semester, I basically just do my reading. Maybe 2-4 hours a day. Come middle of the semester, I should have, but didn't begin to outline. So then come a month before finals, I start studying pretty much all the time. I'm just under top 20% (although, I should be top 20% if just a few people transfer.)

As for computers... most people have macs. I love my mac. But, it doesn't really matter. They do separate you by computer type for finals though.

I don't think most people have macs. As I saw it, it was about a 50-50 split (maybe leaning slightly toward PC). Although macs are good computers, I got my PC with features surpassing a mac at all levels (processor, storage, memory, drive type, display quality, warranty (most important IMO), size (thinner, lighter, bigger display). I also got it for about 100 dollars less than the entry level mac. Not to say macs aren't great; just to add the idea that a comparable PC can be had, with absolutely comparable performance (smoothness of OS is in the eye of the beholder). Further, PCs have the bonus of operating OneNote on the main OS (I think most people would agree that OneNote is about as good as it gets for in class note taking). The Mac office suite does not include this, so you have to download and run windows in order to use it, thus turning your mac into an expensive pc for academic endeavors.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:52 pm

hds2388 wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

I got by with FAR less than this amount of studying, where get by equals top 2%. I know that its not the same for everyone, but before you spend 30 hours a week outside of class, understand that the time you spend studying is related to your engagement with the course. If you feel you are following the professor and can not only engage with the material but make the leaps in reasoning before the professor gets to them, then you are in good shape. Again, its personal depending on your learning style, but for me, this was roughly an hour outside of class for every hour in class. Not to completely rip Ersatz Haderach's answer, just to reiterate the best part of it: how much time you spend studying should be independent of how much time anyone else spends studying.

Totally agree; my answer was deliberately general and 'safe'. Everyone will find what works for them is different. Personally I did not study quite that much, but I am also not in the top 2%. :wink:

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

hds2388 wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:

I'm about to be a creeper and say I think I know who you are. Did you CALI in con law? I'm also about to say eh, I mean, you can get a comparable PC, but, PC's have so many more issues. I almost never have problems with my mac, so, for me it's worth the extra money. Plus, it's easy to find someone to borrow a charger from when you forget yours. Either way though, a computer is a computer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”