Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wileyman02

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby wileyman02 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Well that backfired. I'm a man of my word: I apologize. Completely baffling though, especially considering we know of at least one (really upset) person who is still on the waitlist. Just not sure why they would jump it. I don't know, some bizarre things go on in those admissions offices, but I think this one takes the proverbial cake. Sorry for giving you a hard time.

Um, I still stand by what I said about not believing everything you read on the internet, kids.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

wileyman02

Postby wileyman02 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:37 pm

charlesjd wrote:That subsequent "acceptance" could have been an administrative error -- those copy and pastes are still not convincing. The second letter does not acknowledge the original denial, which is really suspicious. On the other hand, if this guys numbers are above a 160 and a 3.5 -- I could see why. However, did he not say that the new dean contacted him -- the letter says Rawson still. Also, there is no date on the first one, but there is a date on the second one. It may be possible, but this does not prove anything in my opinion.

True-- I thought it was a bit strange that they made no mention of it in the acceptance letter. The inclusion of a date on the acceptance letter is a little odd, too; my letter didn't have one. And the poster has engaged in some strange behavior, like deleting ALL of his previous posts, even those unrelated to the whole rejected-then-accepted drama. Still, even if he's full of sh*t, the kid put in a lot of effort just to flame everyone, and the apology still stands--or a tip of the cap at least--just for the fact that he bluffs like a Sicilian.

Jehu

Postby Jehu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 pm

I deleted all my posts out of a bit of paranoia that law schools could identify me by what I had posted. And I didn't want to be dragged into that whole "ethical" debacle of a thread the waitlist guy started.

I think the date on the acceptance is important, because originally I had two weeks from that date to decide. But I've asked for more time.

Also, I never said the new dean contacted me. Someone from admissions called me and mentioned that the new dean had changed the parameters for accepting applicants.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 am

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 pm

wileyman02 wrote:Well that backfired. I'm a man of my word: I apologize. Completely baffling though, especially considering we know of at least one (really upset) person who is still on the waitlist. Just not sure why they would jump it. I don't know, some bizarre things go on in those admissions offices, but I think this one takes the proverbial cake. Sorry for giving you a hard time.

Um, I still stand by what I said about not believing everything you read on the internet, kids.

You are an asshole. Heres why.

1. You call people out on something you know nothing about.
2. You then accept "proof" against you original claim that could easily have been fabricated. ie. that wasnt a photo, that was just text.
3. You call people kids, which besides being completely douchey, makes you seem like you think you are above others.
4. 3 coupled with the other two reasons, which are basically reasons why you suck is especially annoying and particularly assholesque.

You may choose to look at these like constructive criticism, but you shouldnt. I just think youre an asshole.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Not to get off tangent here...but could someone please tell me a little bit about the review process? How long does it take to get your status checker? Does the file move from complete into review? How long is a file normally in review? I submitted my app about five days ago and still haven't received my status checker. I'm trying to mentally prep myself for the wait. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

wileyman02

Postby wileyman02 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
wileyman02 wrote:Well that backfired. I'm a man of my word: I apologize. Completely baffling though, especially considering we know of at least one (really upset) person who is still on the waitlist. Just not sure why they would jump it. I don't know, some bizarre things go on in those admissions offices, but I think this one takes the proverbial cake. Sorry for giving you a hard time.

You are an asshole. Heres why.

1. You call people out on something you know nothing about.
2. You then accept "proof" against you original claim that could easily have been fabricated. ie. that wasnt a photo, that was just text.
3. You call people kids, which besides being completely douchey, makes you seem like you think you are above others.
4. 3 coupled with the other two reasons, which are basically reasons why you suck is especially annoying and particularly assholesque.

You may choose to look at these like constructive criticism, but you shouldnt. I just think youre an asshole.

I like to think I'm more of a son of a bitch. And I love how you're calling me an asshole-- the guy (sorry, I'll use 'guy' or 'man' henceforth to avoid sounding "douchey") who thinks he's god's gift to law schools ("it's not a gift, they want me, blah blah...I'm a special snowflake, that's why I'm going to Pitt Law").

No shit it wasn't a photo. As you might recall, I was the one who asked him for screenshots. I'm well aware they're not the same thing as cut-and-pasted postings. I was willing to accept his cut-and-paste letters at face value. Because yeah, it would be so much less douchey to continue calling him out at that point. Sorry for really not putting much weight in the idea that he might have gone to the trouble of borrowing a Case acceptance letter from a friend or that he scoured the internet in search of one just to get the wording down verbatim, Detective Bport.

And it means so much to me that some anonymous assclown on the internet thinks I'm an asshole. Really. You know, if you ever wanted to meet up in person and call me an asshole to my face, I might feel differently.

Listen guy, just go back to your Pitt thread, aka the land of tier-two students with T14 egos. You fit right in there. Thanks god you were unwilling to deign yourself to enrolling at Case.

DorothyV

Postby DorothyV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 pm

singingkris wrote:Not to get off tangent here...but could someone please tell me a little bit about the review process? How long does it take to get your status checker? Does the file move from complete into review? How long is a file normally in review? I submitted my app about five days ago and still haven't received my status checker. I'm trying to mentally prep myself for the wait. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I received my status checker 1 or 2 days after applying via LSAC. I don't remember how long it took to move from complete into review, but I received my acceptance 2-3 weeks after submitting my application. This was back in March and my numbers were above both medians. I am guessing that the length of the review process will differ for applicants based on their numbers and how many other applications the committee has to review at the time. Hope this helps!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:32 pm

My idea I came up with tonight: convincing SBA to throw all you new 1L's a party where you can mingle with us old folk. Basically, I want to mentor a 1L.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:33 pm

DorothyV wrote:
singingkris wrote:Not to get off tangent here...but could someone please tell me a little bit about the review process? How long does it take to get your status checker? Does the file move from complete into review? How long is a file normally in review? I submitted my app about five days ago and still haven't received my status checker. I'm trying to mentally prep myself for the wait. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

I received my status checker 1 or 2 days after applying via LSAC. I don't remember how long it took to move from complete into review, but I received my acceptance 2-3 weeks after submitting my application. This was back in March and my numbers were above both
medians. I am guessing that the length of the review process will differ for applicants based on their numbers and how many other applications the committee has to review at the time.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for taking the time!

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:52 pm

I got an email from Case three days ago. This school is in my range considering my test score last October. To be fair though, I stopped reading the email when I noticed the typo in the first sentence. Will definitely consider this school though if my score is not improved this October. I have heard mixed things about Cleveland. Some of which sound like they would fit my personality well.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 am

tyro wrote:I got an email from Case three days ago. This school is in my range considering my test score last October. To be fair though, I stopped reading the email when I noticed the typo in the first sentence. Will definitely consider this school though if my score is not improved this October. I have heard mixed things about Cleveland. Some of which sound like they would fit my personality well.

Lol, I'm assuming we got the same email. The 'D' is missing on continue!

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:17 am

singingkris wrote:
tyro wrote:I got an email from Case three days ago. This school is in my range considering my test score last October. To be fair though, I stopped reading the email when I noticed the typo in the first sentence. Will definitely consider this school though if my score is not improved this October. I have heard mixed things about Cleveland. Some of which sound like they would fit my personality well.

Lol, I'm assuming we got the same email. The 'D' is missing on continue!

Yeah, you know, I minored in english in undergrad and we constantly talked about how little mistakes were NOTHING but in this context, I mean..I just...COME ON. It's a mass-email and they can't even proof-read the first sentence? If a sentence in the middle of the email had a typo I would not have even commented. But the FIRST SENTENCE? Come on, I'm sorry but that is just unaccetable.

To be honest, I do sense a feeling of desperation. I've followed Case from a limited viewpoint and have seen some other things that struck me as *flags*. By no means though, I want to add, does this mean that I won't consider the school. I'm currently in a situation where Case would be a decent option for me (if I don't improve this October).

Just these little things; they really do create negative impressions.

Again though, I want to stress that this is a decent school and I am not trying to say that this university is by and large a bad choice. I simply would like to see professional emails when contacts are made. I want them to put in an effort when contacting me. How can I take them seriously if they fail to take me seriously or put little effort into it?

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:07 am

I'm glad you're considering Case, but you don't need to be so diplomatic about the typos in emails. It pisses me off (current student) when they routinely send out sloppy emails and make significant errors. They aren't hard to deal with and are all quite personable, but there is a lack of care in their communications. It generally doesn't translate to actual problems with the academic experience, but can still be annoying and troublesome.

By the way, you misspelled unacceptable. You're fired.

tyro

Postby tyro » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:45 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote:I'm glad you're considering Case, but you don't need to be so diplomatic about the typos in emails. It pisses me off (current student) when they routinely send out sloppy emails and make significant errors. They aren't hard to deal with and are all quite personable, but there is a lack of care in their communications. It generally doesn't translate to actual problems with the academic experience, but can still be annoying and troublesome.

By the way, you misspelled unacceptable. You're fired.

Oops! Anyway, informative post. As I was planning, I'll try to take them seriously when the time comes :)

Chants

Postby Chants » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:53 am

Accepted off the waitlist this a.m. via email. 159/3.36

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:03 pm

wileyman02 wrote:
I like to think I'm more of a son of a bitch. And I love how you're calling me an asshole-- the guy (sorry, I'll use 'guy' or 'man' henceforth to avoid sounding "douchey") who thinks he's god's gift to law schools ("it's not a gift, they want me, blah blah...I'm a special snowflake, that's why I'm going to Pitt Law").

No shit it wasn't a photo. As you might recall, I was the one who asked him for screenshots. I'm well aware they're not the same thing as cut-and-pasted postings. I was willing to accept his cut-and-paste letters at face value. Because yeah, it would be so much less douchey to continue calling him out at that point. Sorry for really not putting much weight in the idea that he might have gone to the trouble of borrowing a Case acceptance letter from a friend or that he scoured the internet in search of one just to get the wording down verbatim, Detective Bport.

And it means so much to me that some anonymous assclown on the internet thinks I'm an asshole. Really. You know, if you ever wanted to meet up in person and call me an asshole to my face, I might feel differently.

Listen guy, just go back to your Pitt thread, aka the land of tier-two students with T14 egos. You fit right in there. Thanks god you were unwilling to deign yourself to enrolling at Case.

Its more douchey to make such a big deal about rejecting what the guy said, make a big deal about needing some kind of proof, and then to accept that as proof (no offense to the guy who you called out, I believed you from the start).

Haha its not a gift dude. They want me, not the other way around, or id be going there.

Also, nice try calling me out on my school of choice. Im going to Pitt because thats where I want to live. Cleveland is essentially America's Norther Butthole. By all means, enjoy that. (and so theres no confusion, Ive spent time there, I know. For Gods sake, the Flatts arent even there anymore). Also, Pitt is in its own market. Can you say that about Case? And for the record, I got into T30 law progams on scholly.

U mad?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Also, since when do Pitt students have t14 egos?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:06 pm

I just got an e-mail, they said they were admitting off the waitlist and to reply to the e-mail if I still am interested in attending. Is this a good sign or am a still gonna be dragged along?

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Case is in its own market.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:12 pm

hds2388 wrote:Case is in its own market.

What does that mean?

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 pm

How safe is it to walk around University Circle at night, or from the law school up to Coventry/ little italy? I forgot to ask that question a the admitted students thing and am wondering if any current students can chime in?

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 pm

dstr15 wrote:How safe is it to walk around University Circle at night, or from the law school up to Coventry/ little italy? I forgot to ask that question a the admitted students thing and am wondering if any current students can chime in?

I would say it is pretty safe. On campus it is safe; plenty of security officers and what not. As you get toward the fringe, increasingly less safe (there were probably 5 reported instances of muggings and what not during the course of the year). However, Case offers "safe ride" which is a essentially a taxi service (free) that will pick you up and take you to where you need to go until 2am. They have a range that includes little italy, but not coventry. So, its like any city, but certainly I've never been too scared. Follow the usual advice, walk in groups, in well lit places and non-ridiculous hours and you'll be fine.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Jehu wrote:Hilarious claim

Wileyman02 wrote:Insults, displays of incredulousness

bport hopeful wrote:Calling a douchebag a douchebag

Wileyman02 wrote:self-defense of acts of douchebaggery, insults of peer school

bport hopeful wrote:Insults of crappy midwestern town by somebody in another crappy midwestern town

I love you guys. Keeps me coming back!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”