Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
solarae

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby solarae » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 am

i am on hold and tempted to write a LOCI, but my original essay already had plenty of case-specific reasons for applying. in addition, the extremely high tuition really hinders me from writing them a love poem. i guess i will just wait and see what happens :)

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Is anyone else on "hold" at Case? I just received an email last week saying I am now on hold and won't know anything until May. I'm planning on sending a LOCI, updating my resume etc. Case is my first choice... Does anyone know if it is common for them to accept off the hold list?

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:23 am

MAY?! noooo!!!
Were you already on the April hold list or no?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Withdrew with 60k on the table.

zonto

Postby zonto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Withdrew last night. Hope one of you deserving guys or gals gets my spot and money! :wink:

milkman

Postby milkman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Just withdrew today. Best of luck to everyone, hopefully this frees up some scholly money!!

samtheclam1

Postby samtheclam1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:29 pm

volleyballer wrote:Is anyone else on "hold" at Case? I just received an email last week saying I am now on hold and won't know anything until May. I'm planning on sending a LOCI, updating my resume etc. Case is my first choice... Does anyone know if it is common for them to accept off the hold list?

i got the hold email back in, i think, february. they told me they would look at my app again in April.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:23 am

samtheclam1 wrote:
volleyballer wrote:Is anyone else on "hold" at Case? I just received an email last week saying I am now on hold and won't know anything until May. I'm planning on sending a LOCI, updating my resume etc. Case is my first choice... Does anyone know if it is common for them to accept off the hold list?

i got the hold email back in, i think, february. they told me they would look at my app again in April.

I got one too. I would not mind Case, in fact I think it's my first pick.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Just got this letter, anyone else? Does this mean that I won't be an outright deny? I have at least made it to the waitlist?
Thank you for your patience and having confirmed your continue interest in Case Western Reserve School of Law. Now that our deposit deadline has passed and as we firm up the class of 2011, we will be doing another review of your file this week. Decisions will be sent out by April 29th. If you are not admitted during this round, you will be placed on the Waitlist. If you are no longer interesed in being reviewed for admission, please let us know on or before Friday, April 22nd by responding to this email.

Johnny5959

Postby Johnny5959 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm

that's weird... looks like they really need to weed out the disinterested. good luck with your choice!

expectingbrainchild

Postby expectingbrainchild » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Not sure, but they can make hold decisions earlier than promised. Late April was supposed to bring a decision, but I got an acceptance e-mail on the 4th, and the status checker says I was in on the 1st, which was the deadline to get on the list (called up that day to make sure I was on, that might have done the trick). So if you keep them updated, it might not even take until May.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Letting Case know you're interested is important. This is one feature of the process that has been thoroughly tested and, if ignored, will almost always lead to a rejection or waitlist, even if your numbers are quite good, as they'll conclude you're not serious and will YP you. Do phone interviews, do the LOCI if they ask for it, or just do something on your own initiative and it will be noted. I do not know how much impact it has once you've entered the waitlist phase, but there's an example of a quick admit as a result (partly?) of directly expressing interest.

edit: whooo 100 posts

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 am

Hey guys, I'm gonna for a campus visit next week. What can I do during my visit to express interest.

Johnny5959

Postby Johnny5959 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:55 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, I'm gonna for a campus visit next week. What can I do during my visit to express interest.

Flowers are always a nice touch. :)

fragged

Postby fragged » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, I'm gonna for a campus visit next week. What can I do during my visit to express interest.

I've asked this question before... How do you go for a campus visit when you are still in review and meet with someone other than an admissions rep? Honestly I would find a specific program you are interested in, and see if you can sit down with the faculty member(s) who run that program. That way it doesn't sound like you're just showing up to beg them for admission, but rather that you have a specific interest and you want to find out more about it. If you get the meeting, you may be able to impress someone with some pull on the adcomm. Just a thought...

Lametame

Postby Lametame » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 pm

A facebook page has been created for the in-coming class of 2011. Search for it on facebook!

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:19 am

fragged wrote:

I've asked this question before... How do you go for a campus visit when you are still in review and meet with someone other than an admissions rep? Honestly I would find a specific program you are interested in, and see if you can sit down with the faculty member(s) who run that program. That way it doesn't sound like you're just showing up to beg them for admission, but rather that you have a specific interest and you want to find out more about it. If you get the meeting, you may be able to impress someone with some pull on the adcomm. Just a thought...

Yeah, this. Just keep in mind that the 'specific program' is not the main reason you should attend. But if you've already decided you want to go, this is a good way to express interest. Check out the faculty page and academic centers and see what you're interested in chatting about.

mckeeper1

Postby mckeeper1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Off of the "hold" list and moved onto the "wait-list" via status checker 5 minutes ago.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:20 am

mckeeper1 wrote:Off of the "hold" list and moved onto the "wait-list" via status checker 5 minutes ago.

Same here, however I got an e-mail. I am going for a visit Monday, I think it will make or break my app since someone from the admission committee is leading the tour. It's like gambling with my future.

Chants

Postby Chants » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:05 am

mckeeper1 wrote:Off of the "hold" list and moved onto the "wait-list" via status checker 5 minutes ago.

Same. There is no way I will/would pay sticker @ CW, so I will be withdrawing (I am assuming that an offer off the waitlist won't include much/any merit aid). Good luck to everyone!!

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:41 am

Chants wrote:

Same. There is no way I will/would pay sticker @ CW, so I will be withdrawing (I am assuming that an offer off the waitlist won't include much/any merit aid). Good luck to everyone!!

I believe my roomie got either $10 or $15k and she got in off the waitlist.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 am

Hey guys, if you really don't want to attend and have someone else to go - please withdraw! Case is my dream school and the waitlist is killing me! Thanks

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Fri May 06, 2011 7:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the new dean has already told potential students this, but after we finished finals today, he sent an email saying that CWRU will no longer have a GPA cutoff for scholarships...it's ALL good standing from now on. This reverts back to an old policy of 100% good standing, actually. Seems like the Dean is reading the New York Times...

There are a lot of happy people in Cleveland tonight...

ca$hmoney69

Postby ca$hmoney69 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the new dean has already told potential students this, but after we finished finals today, he sent an email saying that CWRU will no longer have a GPA cutoff for scholarships...it's ALL good standing from now on. This reverts back to an old policy of 100% good standing, actually. Seems like the Dean is reading the New York Times...

Are you serious, that would be amazing

expectingbrainchild

Postby expectingbrainchild » Sat May 07, 2011 2:14 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the new dean has already told potential students this, but after we finished finals today, he sent an email saying that CWRU will no longer have a GPA cutoff for scholarships...it's ALL good standing from now on. This reverts back to an old policy of 100% good standing, actually. Seems like the Dean is reading the New York Times...

Nothing from the dean-elect yet. That would be great, even though they were already pretty kind with the requirement for mine (even though the amount's a drop in the bucket). Speaking of which, has anybody been able to successfully request an increase?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”