Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ioustinos

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Ioustinos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm

I will get a response from Case Western in April. I've been accepted to Akron as well with a scholly, but if I make it into Case, I may plan on going even at sticker.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Does anyone know what median is like? My scholly comes with a nice 3.15 stip.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Ioustinos wrote:I will get a response from Case Western in April. I've been accepted to Akron as well with a scholly, but if I make it into Case, I may plan on going even at sticker.

you know you'll have to pay that $120k extra back one day, right?

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:25 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Does anyone know what median is like? My scholly comes with a nice 3.15 stip.

According to my buddy (who's a 2L), median for 1L is 3.0. That makes 3.15 somewhere around top 40%.

Ioustinos wrote:I will get a response from Case Western in April. I've been accepted to Akron as well with a scholly, but if I make it into Case, I may plan on going even at sticker.

Akron's GPA stipulation equates to top 10-15%. (Edit - Just looked at your posts. I forgot your $$$ is from the GI Bill, so no need to worry about those stips.)

HTH

Ioustinos

Postby Ioustinos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:03 pm

TommyK wrote:

you know you'll have to pay that $120k extra back one day, right?

I haven't made a final decision. I may choose not to go to law school, or to retake.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am

Median - It's 3.0 for 1L main classes, slightly higher for 2L/seminar classes. If it's the same as last year, you'd get to keep half with a 2.8, which is Top 70% or so, and you can get the scholarship back semester-to-semester. They don't look at it until after 1L.

Paying Sticker - So, Ioustinos, you have GI bill from Akron, but nothing from CWRU? I'm a bit disappointed to learn we don't do the GI Bill. If you want to pay sticker, have a very solid plan. I'd say Case is far and away better than Akron, and even in a secondary market region like Ohio, Cleveland is far better than Akron. Depends on your future plans and present flexibility. If you have a decent job right now, I'd say wait and retake if Case is really where you want to be. Case doesn't average scores, they just take the highest.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Median - It's 3.0 for 1L main classes, slightly higher for 2L/seminar classes. If it's the same as last year, you'd get to keep half with a 2.8, which is Top 70% or so, and you can get the scholarship back semester-to-semester. They don't look at it until after 1L.

Paying Sticker - So, Ioustinos, you have GI bill from Akron, but nothing from CWRU? I'm a bit disappointed to learn we don't do the GI Bill. If you want to pay sticker, have a very solid plan. I'd say Case is far and away better than Akron, and even in a secondary market region like Ohio, Cleveland is far better than Akron. Depends on your future plans and present flexibility. If you have a decent job right now, I'd say wait and retake if Case is really where you want to be. Case doesn't average scores, they just take the highest.
Good to know the median GPA. I have heard that it is 3.0 from other people, so this definitely seems to be true (not implying you're lying, just solidifies it for me).

Also, the GI Bill is something Veterans Affairs runs, not individual schools, so it does apply to Case. I think loustinos is saying that he hasn't been offered a merit scholarship from Case. Either way, he can definitely use the GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program at Case. The way Case runs their Yellow Ribbon program (which each school does do on their own basically), you would be just as well off using it as if you had a $17,500 scholly because they won't allow you to combine a merit scholly and a Yellow Ribbon scholly. So pretty good situation if you qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program and didn't get a scholly offer from admissions.

Ioustinos

Postby Ioustinos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Median - It's 3.0 for 1L main classes, slightly higher for 2L/seminar classes. If it's the same as last year, you'd get to keep half with a 2.8, which is Top 70% or so, and you can get the scholarship back semester-to-semester. They don't look at it until after 1L.

Paying Sticker - So, Ioustinos, you have GI bill from Akron, but nothing from CWRU? I'm a bit disappointed to learn we don't do the GI Bill.

I didn't notice this at first, but The Gentleman mistook me for someone else, or quoted the wrong post. I'm not the one with the G.I. Bill. I think he meant CP2323.

I'd say Case is far and away better than Akron, and even in a secondary market region like Ohio, Cleveland is far better than Akron. Depends on your future plans and present flexibility. If you have a decent job right now, I'd say wait and retake if Case is really where you want to be. Case doesn't average scores, they just take the highest.

All that I've researched and heard have said Case is indeed superior to Akron. But Case, if at sticker, is a massive amount of debt, and we all know how bleak it is for law careers right now. I simply don't know if I'd be happy with that amount of debt with such a shot at not getting anything from the degree. Maybe law isn't for me.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Sorry for the confusion on the GI Bill.

Also, if you're not sure about law as a career, I'd strongly lean towards not going/retaking. You do not want the feeling of having made a mistake and a mountain of debt. Plus, why waste the time? Three years is a long time.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Case + 96000 scholly.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Ioustinos wrote:I didn't notice this at first, but The Gentleman mistook me for someone else, or quoted the wrong post. I'm not the one with the G.I. Bill. I think he meant CP2323.

Sorry about that :( I accidentally mixed you up with CP2323.

Ioustinos

Postby Ioustinos » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Sorry for the confusion on the GI Bill.

Also, if you're not sure about law as a career, I'd strongly lean towards not going/retaking. You do not want the feeling of having made a mistake and a mountain of debt. Plus, why waste the time? Three years is a long time.

I'm starting to lean toward this. If I don't make it into Case or Cin., I can't really see many positives about going this year. I've been accepted to Akron with more than half tuition off, but it's a scholarship I have to assume I won't be able to keep in full due to their stips. And according to this only 64.6% of Akron grads are known to be employed at graduation (2009), so when I add the cost of living, I'd be looking at about 50k of debt (assuming I actually keep the full scholarship) for those odds. That's quite a risk that looks hard to justify.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 pm

We're coming up on deposit time. What are people thinking? Any questions?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:32 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:We're coming up on deposit time. What are people thinking? Any questions?

i won't deposit cause they won't take it, welcome to follow my lead

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:We're coming up on deposit time. What are people thinking? Any questions?

Ditto. I'm a Case 1L with a dire need to procrastinate, so feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

matye

Postby matye » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm

Has anyone on the waitlist been taken off yet? I am on the "hold list." I think they may be the same thing.

solarae

Postby solarae » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 pm

same, and no. they arent even reviewing the hold list until april. and it's not like a waitlist.

matye

Postby matye » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:21 pm

thanks! how is the hold list different? Truth be told, I was on it last year for about 3 weeks and then accepted. I was hoping for the same thing this year but it didn't happen.

How are the hold list and wait list different?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to those still waiting for a seat.

skirschner1

Postby skirschner1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Withdrew today. Good luck to those still waiting for a seat.

+1. Good luck.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Hey guys, I just got an email saying that I'm on the waitlist. My numbers are nowhere near as good as any of yours. Do hold list people have a better shot than wait list?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Prolly going to withdraw this week and free some money up. Good luck guys.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 am

bport hopeful wrote:Prolly going to withdraw this week and free some money up. Good luck guys.

thanks!

i hope more people withdraw

solarae

Postby solarae » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:38 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:Do hold list people have a better shot than wait list?

a question which I have as well!

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 am

solarae wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:Do hold list people have a better shot than wait list?

a question which I have as well!

Prob do have a better chance b/c a hold means that no decision has been made, meaning you're in that limbo between accept or waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”