Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Claudius wrote:
kartal wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Are you considering to attend Case without any scholarship? It is about $180K total cost. It is a T2 school that may break into T1 any point. Is Case worth to pay the sticker price?


I'm permanently in Cleveland so it's a tough call. Case is the only TT whereas Cleveland Marshall and Akron are both TTT. On the other hand, CM and Akron are much, much cheaper. I don't know if I can justify that kind of debt.

If your staying in Cleveland, I think Marshall is a good bet. Those kids always get the Cleveland big law jobs. Probably because the case kids are more likely to leave. It's quite well respected here though, and there is a huge alumni base. That said, if you ever want to leave Cleveland, go with case.

This is really why I'm torn. I know Case is the better school but I also realize that CM is a good bet if you want to stay in Cleveland, which is what I want to do.

I've been admitted at both, but have a $15k/year scholly from CM. That means Case would have to throw $30k/year scholly my way to make them equal in terms of cost. With a 158 and 3.61, that isn't going to happen. From the applicants listed on LSN, it looks like only URMs are getting scholarships in my range. I think I should get $10k/year from Case and would be extremely lucky to get anything more than that. BUT, I've been really wanting to go to Case for a long time. It's going to be hard to pass up.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re:

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Claudius wrote:
kartal wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. Are you considering to attend Case without any scholarship? It is about $180K total cost. It is a T2 school that may break into T1 any point. Is Case worth to pay the sticker price?


I'm permanently in Cleveland so it's a tough call. Case is the only TT whereas Cleveland Marshall and Akron are both TTT. On the other hand, CM and Akron are much, much cheaper. I don't know if I can justify that kind of debt.

If your staying in Cleveland, I think Marshall is a good bet. Those kids always get the Cleveland big law jobs. Probably because the case kids are more likely to leave. It's quite well respected here though, and there is a huge alumni base. That said, if you ever want to leave Cleveland, go with case.

This is really why I'm torn. I know Case is the better school but I also realize that CM is a good bet if you want to stay in Cleveland, which is what I want to do.

I've been admitted at both, but have a $15k/year scholly from CM. That means Case would have to throw $30k/year scholly my way to make them equal in terms of cost. With a 158 and 3.61, that isn't going to happen. From the applicants listed on LSN, it looks like only URMs are getting scholarships in my range. I think I should get $10k/year from Case and would be extremely lucky to get anything more than that. BUT, I've been really wanting to go to Case for a long time. It's going to be hard to pass up.

I mean, money matters. And both offer equal opportunities in terms of staying in Cleveland. But, if you really want to go to Case, there is something to be said for following your heart. If they were going to give you $10k, you might be able to bargain up to $15.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby aknecht » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Claudius wrote:
kartal wrote:What is the reason some people getting phone interviews? Is this for pure admission reason or scholarship award reason?


Borderline candidates and potential yield protection. The auto-admits are still auto-admits. Everyone that agrees to do the interview appears to get accepted. Everyone that refuses the interview appears to get rejected.

I had an interview and I was accepted. I was not offered a scholarship.


just to put it out there, I was interviewed last week and have not yet been accepted. hoping I'm not the exception to your rule

rubaiyatsongs
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:38 am

Anyone get an email about ASW yet?

ringo9
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby ringo9 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Anyone get a decision rendered and decision letter emailed but hasn't received email yet? Got this a week ago...but still haven't heard from Case.

User avatar
kartal
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby kartal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm

ringo9 wrote:Anyone get a decision rendered and decision letter emailed but hasn't received email yet? Got this a week ago...but still haven't heard from Case.


Which e-mail are you talking?

ringo9
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby ringo9 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

On the ASO page is sent email sent with decision on February 7...but I haven't received the email.

User avatar
wileyman02
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby wileyman02 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am

aknecht wrote:
Claudius wrote:
kartal wrote:What is the reason some people getting phone interviews? Is this for pure admission reason or scholarship award reason?


Borderline candidates and potential yield protection. The auto-admits are still auto-admits. Everyone that agrees to do the interview appears to get accepted. Everyone that refuses the interview appears to get rejected.

I had an interview and I was accepted. I was not offered a scholarship.


just to put it out there, I was interviewed last week and have not yet been accepted. hoping I'm not the exception to your rule



You're not: two weeks for me until I received an acceptance. It seems most people heard back the same day or the next, but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby aknecht » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:31 am

wileyman02 wrote:
aknecht wrote:
Claudius wrote:
kartal wrote:What is the reason some people getting phone interviews? Is this for pure admission reason or scholarship award reason?


Borderline candidates and potential yield protection. The auto-admits are still auto-admits. Everyone that agrees to do the interview appears to get accepted. Everyone that refuses the interview appears to get rejected.

I had an interview and I was accepted. I was not offered a scholarship.


just to put it out there, I was interviewed last week and have not yet been accepted. hoping I'm not the exception to your rule



You're not: two weeks for me until I received an acceptance. It seems most people heard back the same day or the next, but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.


thank you. you've put my mind at ease (temporarily anyway)

jasonc.
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby jasonc. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Omg why did they just call me ! I just blew the interview. definitely getting rejected now. oh well.

User avatar
Ersatz Haderach
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:42 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:06 pm

jasonc. wrote:Omg why did they just call me ! I just blew the interview. definitely getting rejected now. oh well.


How did you blow the interview? Unless you said, "I have no idea why I'd want to attend Case and actually prefer XXXXX school," they probably won't reject you.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

jasonc. wrote:Omg why did they just call me ! I just blew the interview. definitely getting rejected now. oh well.


Ooooh, I love a good interview crash n burn story - we've all had 'em. Why do you think you bombed?

(it's usually never as bad as you think)

jasonc.
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby jasonc. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm

How did you blow the interview? Unless you said, "I have no idea why I'd want to attend Case and actually prefer XXXXX school," they probably won't reject you.[/quote]
it was very bad. it was suppose to last for ten to 15 it was like a five minute conversation. I couldnt even name specific clinics and i was rambling on. sigh if i had only known. i would have wrote something out. but it did come across as if i didn't know anything about the school.Then they ask if i wanted to add something to my file and I had nothing to say it was awkward

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 pm

jasonc. wrote:
How did you blow the interview? Unless you said, "I have no idea why I'd want to attend Case and actually prefer XXXXX school," they probably won't reject you.

it was very bad. it was suppose to last for ten to 15 it was like a five minute conversation. I couldnt even name specific clinics and i was rambling on. sigh if i had only known. i would have wrote something out. but it did come across as if i didn't know anything about the school.Then they ask if i wanted to add something to my file and I had nothing to say it was awkward


It's probably not as bad as you think. I don't think they care so much about your specific knowledge of their clinics so much as your ability to articulate that you're genuinely interested in the program.

FWIW, I'm a corporate recruiter and length of interview doesn't necessarily indicate quality of candidate. I've had horrible candidates run way over and stellar candidates that were quick. You also typically tell the candidate it will take more time than it actually will just so it doesn't run over and you have some time at the end of it to take notes. Try not to stress too much.

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby aknecht » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:19 pm

jasonc. wrote:How did you blow the interview? Unless you said, "I have no idea why I'd want to attend Case and actually prefer XXXXX school," they probably won't reject you.
it was very bad. it was suppose to last for ten to 15 it was like a five minute conversation. I couldnt even name specific clinics and i was rambling on. sigh if i had only known. i would have wrote something out. but it did come across as if i didn't know anything about the school.Then they ask if i wanted to add something to my file and I had nothing to say it was awkward


did they call you without warning? that would have sucked. I at least had time to have some notes written down about clinics, the area, etc. mine last a full 30 minutes but I said I didn't have anything to add to my file either so I don't think that's a huge deal.

jasonc.
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby jasonc. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 pm

did they call you without warning? .[/quote]
yup no email or anything. I will definitely send non New York number to voice mail from now on.

User avatar
AboveTheLawSchool
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:36 pm

.
Last edited by AboveTheLawSchool on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:33 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Are you sure that wasn't a call to set up a future interview or something? I got a call from them this morning and they asked me to schedule an interview for sometime later this week.


When they called me, they asked if I wanted to do it on-the-spot or schedule it for later. If he/she got the question about adding something into the file, it was the real deal.

jasonc.
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:22 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby jasonc. » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:37 pm

TommyK wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Are you sure that wasn't a call to set up a future interview or something? I got a call from them this morning and they asked me to schedule an interview for sometime later this week.


When they called me, they asked if I wanted to do it on-the-spot or schedule it for later. If he/she got the question about adding something into the file, it was the real deal.



she never gave me an option just said do you have 10 to 15 mins to speak. :cry:

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 pm

jasonc. wrote:
TommyK wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Are you sure that wasn't a call to set up a future interview or something? I got a call from them this morning and they asked me to schedule an interview for sometime later this week.


When they called me, they asked if I wanted to do it on-the-spot or schedule it for later. If he/she got the question about adding something into the file, it was the real deal.



she never gave me an option just said do you have 10 to 15 mins to speak. :cry:


Do you know who you spoke with? You could always follow-up with an email and say something like:

"Ms./Mr. BlahBlah:

Thank you for your call earlier this morning. It was a pleasure to speak with you about my candidacy for admittance into the Case Western Reserve University School of Law program beginning in Fall 2011.

To complement our conversation this morning, I would like to highlight BLAH BLAH BLAH

Toward the end of the call, you asked me if there was anything I would like to add to my file. Upon further reflection, I would like to BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Thank you for your consideration and if you would like to discuss my candidacy further, please feel free to call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I look forward to hearing from the admission committee.

Regards,
Jasonc"

I'm not sure if this is typical or even credited advice, but I always think it's a good idea to attempt to mitigate any damage done through a first impression that you felt didn't go as well as it could.

User avatar
Punisha20
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Punisha20 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 pm

My status checker said decision rendered today, but I didn't get any e-mail with the decision. It does say something about scholarships at the bottom of the status checker, so I'm guessing thats an admit, right?

User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby beidoun » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Other then researching the school and the professor I am talking to, does anyone that has had the interview already have any tips on a successful interview?

User avatar
Claudius
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Claudius » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:52 pm

beidoun wrote:Other then researching the school and the professor I am talking to, does anyone that has had the interview already have any tips on a successful interview?


Their main goal seems to be to gauge your interest. Prepare questions. I was asked very little. I spent a lot of time asking about their CaseArc program.

User avatar
Punisha20
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby Punisha20 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 pm

The interview didn't seem as if it was judging my candidacy, but rather it seemed as if it was to judge my interest level in Case. I feel as if you are enthusiastic during the interview you should do well.

goodbyecolumbus
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Postby goodbyecolumbus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 am

First post on the board, although I've been following this thread for a while.

Interviewed today on a couple of basic things... namely gauging interest in Case, what in specific interests me, what I think of the region, etc. It went OK, wouldn't exactly say it was great (in the context of personal performance), but it wasn't terrible either.

Interview was late in the day, so hoping that I get a decision tomorrow. The woman interviewing said I'd know either way within the week.

We'll see how this goes. Case is my top choice, so it's probably going to be hard to sleep tonight.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nickel94 and 9 guests