Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wileyman02

New

Re: Case Western Reserve University School of Law 2011

Post by wileyman02 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:14 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:That's cool, but we must really be hurting for people if we're calling back people who rejected us.
yeah this also makes me hesitant

I wouldn't look into this as a red flag; competition among the schools for quality students is just really steep this year. You had fewer people apply to law school this year, but those who did applied to a greater number of schools than usual. The new dean has talked about getting LSAT and GPA #'s up ASAP, so the school is willing to eat a bunch of tuition for a few years if that's what it takes. (It doesn't hurt when the university you're a part of has one of the highest endowments in the country). Now, the calling back people who were previously rejected...well, I think it's just bollocks. Kid probably forgot he was actually on the waitlist when he got that phone call, or he's making crap up. How much stock are you going to put into an anonymous post on a message board? If you get rejected, you're rejected. End of story. There's no way Case depleted its entire waitlist already, but even if it had, admissions--at any school--wouldn't in a million years even consider pulling people off the "rejection list." Utter nonsense. If the person who posted that can show me actual proof, then I'll admit to being wrong.

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 am

edit
Last edited by Jehu on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:37 am

Jehu wrote:No, I was rejected, not waitlisted. So I had written Case off. But then came the phone call, and later the acceptance. The unusual circumstances are the very reason I'm strongly considering the school. So now I'm trying to see if I can make Cleveland work.
Cleveland does rock...

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 am

edit
Last edited by Jehu on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:08 am

I dont think them pulling people off the rejection list is all that unlikely. I mean, I told them I wasnt coming months ago. The dean personally calls me and as "what can I do to get you to come to Case," then almost doubles my scholarship after most second deposits are due... sounds pretty desperate to me.

Also, cleveland doesnt really rock. Thats a wives tale perpetuated by a little fat man

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wileyman02

New

Post by wileyman02 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:56 am

bport hopeful wrote:I dont think them pulling people off the rejection list is all that unlikely. I mean, I told them I wasnt coming months ago. The dean personally calls me and as "what can I do to get you to come to Case," then almost doubles my scholarship after most second deposits are due... sounds pretty desperate to me.

Also, cleveland doesnt really rock. Thats a wives tale perpetuated by a little fat man

Dude, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You're too cynical, which I'm guessing is a result of being a Mets fan. But yeah, you shouldn't attend Case if you have solid reasons for not wanting to go there. Passing up all that money just because of an assumption that they're really desperate for students is not one of them.

And come on, Cleveland totally does rock. How could a city dubbed "The mistake by the lake" not be awesome?? Plus, you could adopt the Indians. Definitely an upgrade from your boys in Flushing.

DorothyV

New

Post by DorothyV » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:24 pm

So, Entering Students Day is this Friday. Who else is going?

I live in the area and my parents are bugging me to take them along. Will I seem like an idiot if I show up with my parents?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 pm

wileyman02 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I dont think them pulling people off the rejection list is all that unlikely. I mean, I told them I wasnt coming months ago. The dean personally calls me and as "what can I do to get you to come to Case," then almost doubles my scholarship after most second deposits are due... sounds pretty desperate to me.

Dude, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You're too cynical, which I'm guessing is a result of being a Mets fan. But yeah, you shouldn't attend Case if you have solid reasons for not wanting to go there. Passing up all that money just because of an assumption that they're really desperate for students is not one of them.

And come on, Cleveland totally does rock. How could a city dubbed "The mistake by the lake" not be awesome?? Plus, you could adopt the Indians. Definitely an upgrade from your boys in Flushing.
I got money else where so Im not worried. Im not cynical, Im a realist. If you dont see their current behavior as atleast suspect, then youre naive.

Cleveland is essentially a slum. and all AL baseball is a downgrade from all NL baseball.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Also, its not a gift horse. They want me, not the other way around.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ca$hmoney69

New

Post by ca$hmoney69 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 pm

DorothyV wrote:So, Entering Students Day is this Friday. Who else is going?

I live in the area and my parents are bugging me to take them along. Will I seem like an idiot if I show up with my parents?

I'm not bringing mine. I don't think you will look like an idiot, but it will likely impair your ability to meet people in the class.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:17 am

It's not that unusual to go hunting for numbers at the last minute. I got last-second offers of likely full rides from at least two T2 schools that I had not even applied to. Responding to someone's withdrawal doesn't seem too unusual to me, either, though doubling the scholarship is certainly...aggressive.

Rejecting, and then re-accepting? I doubt it, even if it was a YP reject or something and they decided to go after someone with good numbers. Anything is possible, given that there's a new Dean who literally began his official post a week ago.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm

DorothyV wrote:So, Entering Students Day is this Friday. Who else is going?

Last year some people came with their parents. But, I wouldn't. You'll wind up meeting possible friends/roomies/ect.

wileyman02

New

Post by wileyman02 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:19 am

bport hopeful wrote:
wileyman02 wrote:

I got money else where so Im not worried. Im not cynical, Im a realist. If you dont see their current behavior as atleast suspect, then youre naive.

Cleveland is essentially a slum. and all AL baseball is a downgrade from all NL baseball.
And Pittsburgh is a thriving metropolis? (I do agree with you about the superiority of NL baseball though.) I don't see it as suspect because almost all the schools (especially top-half tier 2's) have been engaging in this sort of behavior this cycle. I'm more willing to accept the fact that we--the students--have an upper hand on the schools, which are fiercely competing to fill seats. Pittsburgh originally offered me an "eh" scholarship, but then when the first deposit date passed and they hadn't received a check from me, I was contacted by an admissions staff member to let me know that more scholarship funding had become available. Penn State also bumped up the initial scholarship offer. Same at Miami. It's just the nature of the current application cycle. And I am totally fine with that. I'm not too worried that if Case falls a few students short of their target class size that it's somehow going to hurt the school's reputation in the long run.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wileyman02

New

Post by wileyman02 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:21 am

bport hopeful wrote:Also, its not a gift horse. They want me, not the other way around.
Hence why they offered you a gift. And you looked that mothaf*cka right in the mouth. Don't tell me my cliche adage doesn't apply to this case.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:16 am

Sounds more like a bribe.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:02 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Sounds more like a bribe.
More like a sale. Now if they offered you full tuition + stipend - that's a bribe. Agreed, though - far from a gift. That's like saying Macy's is offering some great gifts because their sweaters that are usually $80 are now only $50. Don't be rude. Buy the damn sweater.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:25 pm

TommyK wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Sounds more like a bribe.
More like a sale. Now if they offered you full tuition + stipend - that's a bribe. Agreed, though - far from a gift. That's like saying Macy's is offering some great gifts because their sweaters that are usually $80 are now only $50. Don't be rude. Buy the damn sweater.
Good analysis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Is there anyone still in review out there? if so, does anyone know how long the process takes from submit to in review? I received an invitation to apply yesterday from the ASST. Dean, and thought "what the heck".
I hope it's not too good to be true!!
Last edited by singingkris on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

wileyman02

New

Post by wileyman02 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote: Rejecting, and then re-accepting? I doubt it, even if it was a YP reject or something and they decided to go after someone with good numbers.

Notice how the posts from the guy who claimed to have been accepted after being rejected are all gone? I tried to tell these kiddies not to believe everything they read on the internet.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm

wileyman02 wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote: Rejecting, and then re-accepting? I doubt it, even if it was a YP reject or something and they decided to go after someone with good numbers.

Notice how the posts from the guy who claimed to have been accepted after being rejected are all gone? I tried to tell these kiddies not to believe everything they read on the internet.
You the man now dog.

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:47 pm

I deleted my posts, because I didn't think simply asking questions would send an applicant on the warpath against Case. Case did admit me after I was previously rejected. I'm still not sure if I'm going to attend, but I'm leaning against going to Case.

I'm also not sure how to prove my circumstances short of allowing the whole forum access to my e-mail's inbox.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wileyman02

New

Post by wileyman02 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Jehu wrote:I deleted my posts, because I didn't think simply asking questions would send an applicant on the warpath against Case. Case did admit me after I was previously rejected. I'm still not sure if I'm going to attend, but I'm leaning against going to Case.

I'm also not sure how to prove my circumstances short of allowing the whole forum access to my e-mail's inbox.

Seriously, you're just being really annoying now. You made sh*t up and deleted your posts after realizing how effed up it was to lie about something like that. You don't have to give us access to your inbox; simply post a screenshot of both letters--the rejection and the acceptance--in this forum (x-out your name and other sensitive info, of course), and I will apologize for calling you a liar.

Jehu

New

Post by Jehu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Office of Admissions
11075 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7148
Phone: 216.368.3600
Fax: 216.368.0185
Admissions e-mail: lawadmissions@case.edu
Financial Service e-mail: lawmoney@case.edu
http://www.law.case.edu

Dear X:

The Admissions Committee of Case Western Reserve University School of Law has reviewed your application for fall 2011. I am sorry to inform you that your application has been denied. We realize that this is a disappointment. Please know that all of the materials in your file were carefully examined and the selection process was very competitive.

We appreciate your interest in our law school and sincerely hope that your educational goals are achieved. If your plans for the coming year include law school elsewhere, but you are still interested in Case Western Reserve, you should know that we do accept transfer students each summer for the following school year. The main selection criteria is your law school performance. Your LSAT score and undergraduate academic performance are not as important, but will be factors in the decision. If you would like to discuss this transfer option in greater detail, please contact the admissions office.

Thank you again for your application to Case Western Reserve University School of Law. Best wishes in your law school search and in your future career plans.

Sincerely,

Elaine B. Greaves
Elaine B. Greaves, Esq.
Assistant Dean of Admissions
Office of Admissions
11075 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7148
Phone: 216.368.3600
Fax: 216.368.0185
Admissions e-mail: lawadmissions@case.edu
Financial Service e-mail: lawmoney@case.edu
http://www.law.case.edu

May 25, 2011

Dear X:

On behalf of Dean Robert Rawson and the faculty and staff of Case Western Reserve University School of Law, it is our pleasure to extend to you an offer of admission to the Class of 2014. Congratulations! Based on your outstanding credentials we believe you are well prepared to meet the challenges of a legal education at Case Western Reserve. The School of Law offers a rigorous curriculum and a renowned history of excellence.You will be joining our community of accomplished students, distinguished faculty, knowledgeable staff and outstanding alumni. In addition, your opportunities will be enhanced by our location in Cleveland, Ohio with its sophisticated legal market that is home to many of the nations' most respected law firms.

At this time, you are now able to access the Admitted Students' Website at --LinkRemoved-- there you will find the Statement of Procedures which outlines important deadline and requirements, and other important applicable admissions documents. Please be aware that your seat deposit, intent to enroll card, and a student profile form must be submitted electronically or via mail by the date indicated in the Statement of Procedures. The user name and password that you are currently using to access your online application status will now also be your user name and password for the admitted students' website. Once you log onto the admitted students' website you will no longer have the option of changing your user name or password.

As always, if we can provide you with additional information, please do not hesitate to call. During the coming months, we will be contacting you by mail and email so please let us know of any changes in your contact information.

Again, Congratulations on this very exciting accomplishment. We look forward to your many successes as a law student at Case Western Reserve University School of Law.

Sincerely,

Elaine B. Greaves
Elaine B. Greaves, Esq.
Assistant Dean of Admissions

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Wow you actually did it! Well hopefully people will get off your back and stop discrediting you.

iambeautiful

Bronze

Post by iambeautiful » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Wow it's really true!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”