Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EmoryAdmissionDean

Hello from Emory Law's Office of Admission

Postby EmoryAdmissionDean » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:25 am

Hi TLSers – this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Emory Law. As the Admission Office enters the season of reviewing applications, I hope that our presence on the forum will assist from time-to-time with answering questions.

One of our Admission Fellows “EmoryRob” will be back this year hosting Emory’s thread in the “Discuss Your Law School” forum. I know he is looking forward to answering your questions over there as well.

I imagine my home will be in that discussion forum as well. However, I hope you will grant me the opportunity below to address some of the questions we have already received.

If you are in school, good luck on finals. I look forward to seeing you on campus next semester.

My best for a relaxing and fulfilling holiday season.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did Emory Law’s application go “live” on http://www.lsac.org in October?

Last year, I noticed a disproportionate number of corrections and addendums to applications submitted early in the admission cycle. I surmised that in the race to submit applications as soon as possible, candidates were making rushed errors (misspellings, etc.).

Therefore, this year, I wanted to wait a few weeks before opening the application with hopes that applicants would have a little more time to submit a polished product and catch some of these small mistakes. (Trust me, I know how frustrating it can be to find an error. One of your colleagues has already chastised my misuse of a hyphen on the application instructions.)

Of course, as with all of our admission processes, we will evaluate this decision in future years.

Why were the application instructions for the fitness questions (http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness) posted after the application went “live” at http://www.lsac.org?

I sincerely apologize. After spending months working with various folks to rewrite our fitness questions and provide clear guidance for our applicants, I neglected to email our webmaster to ask him to activate the appropriate webpage housing this guidance.

Thus, to ensure that all our applicants are treated fairly, I emailed those who had already applied to read this guidance. The fitness questions are so important to becoming a licensed attorney that I wanted to make sure everyone who applies to Emory Law receives the appropriate guidance and support.

When will I hear something from Emory Law?

Once we receive your application, LSAT report, transcripts, and two letters of recommendation, we send a “file complete” email with further information about our processes. If two weeks elapse after you submitted this information and you haven’t received the “file complete” email, simply send us a note to admission(a)law.emory.edu. Please check your spam/junk email folders as well; I have received reports that our messages are sometimes caught by email filters.

Woodruff Fellowship (http://www.law.emory.edu/woodruff) decisions are made on February 13, 2011. Then, we will begin notifying applicants of admission and scholarship decisions in mid-February. We plan on issuing all decisions by the end of March. We do not disclose admission decisions via phone.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at admission(a)law.emory.edu.

I look forward to reading your application soon!

HeavenWood

Re: Hello from Emory Law's Office of Admission

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:36 am

EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Why were the application instructions for the fitness questions (http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness) posted after the application went “live” at http://www.lsac.org?

I sincerely apologize. After spending months working with various folks to rewrite our fitness questions and provide clear guidance for our applicants, I neglected to email our webmaster to ask him to activate the appropriate webpage housing this guidance.

Thus, to ensure that all our applicants are treated fairly, I emailed those who had already applied to read this guidance. The fitness questions are so important to becoming a licensed attorney that I wanted to make sure everyone who applies to Emory Law receives the appropriate guidance and support.

I told you it wasn't a conspiracy, Bergg...

iknownothing

Re: Emory 2011

Postby iknownothing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:40 pm

These holiday emails are giving me heart attacks...

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:45 pm

iknownothing wrote:These holiday emails are giving me heart attacks...

"MESSAGE FROM EMORY LAW"

"happy holidays!"

iknownothing

Postby iknownothing » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:48 pm

tttlllsss wrote:

"MESSAGE FROM EMORY LAW"

"happy holidays!"

lol, my email by default doesn't show images, so I was freaking out for a few minutes wondering why they sent me a blank email...

Decision Rendered: NO DECISION FOR YOU. :(

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 pm

iknownothing wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

"MESSAGE FROM EMORY LAW"

"happy holidays!"

lol, my email by default doesn't show images, so I was freaking out for a few minutes wondering why they sent me a blank email...

Decision Rendered: NO DECISION FOR YOU. :(

Yeah the e-mail was a bit disconcerting

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:53 pm

Holiday card tease, grr.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Good to know they're still reviewing as we inch closer to Christmas!

krad

Postby krad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm

ect88 wrote:Good to know they're still reviewing as we inch closer to Christmas!

Haha I agree! It was one of the better ones in my book (besides NU's turkey card which takes the cake) because it said that.

rli66

Postby rli66 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:42 pm

Just sent out to Emory. Extremely late app.. don't know why I basically just heard about the school. I may be destined for TTT. :( :cry:

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:00 am

rli66 wrote:Just sent out to Emory. Extremely late app.. don't know why I basically just heard about the school. I may be destined for TTT. :( :cry:

I wouldn't say extremely late, or late at all for that matter. Some would say you are right on time, maybe a tad late but if you have the numbers you should be fine!

rli66

Postby rli66 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:33 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:
rli66 wrote:Just sent out to Emory. Extremely late app.. don't know why I basically just heard about the school. I may be destined for TTT. :( :cry:

I wouldn't say extremely late, or late at all for that matter. Some would say you are right on time, maybe a tad late but if you have the numbers you should be fine!

I hope the adcomms think so. I am really very interested in Emory now after having spent the entire last night researching into the school. I don't know why I did not consider Emory before but this was absolutely my latest app. I sent my first batch out a month and half ago. I hope they have mercy on me and throw me some ducats because I would love to study in Atlanta.

Also: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/dc496

Is anyone here applying for the Woodruff Fellowship?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:38 pm

I feel like whenever I hear back from Emory it will be entirely too late... :?

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm applying for the Woodruff. Anyone else applying for it...good luck! The thing that freaks me out about it is that once it's awarded, you only have 24 hours to decide...and it's in February, before some schools have even made decisions!

rli66

Postby rli66 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:08 pm

softsgalore wrote:I'm applying for the Woodruff. Anyone else applying for it...good luck! The thing that freaks me out about it is that once it's awarded, you only have 24 hours to decide...and it's in February, before some schools have even made decisions!

I was considering it.. but it may be too late to jump on that ball.

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Tagged

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 pm

I received a letter TODAY about the Woodruff, and the deadline is Wed...

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:04 am

r6_philly wrote:I received a letter TODAY about the Woodruff, and the deadline is Wed...

+1. and the letter reminded me of the 2 step process. Step one of which is to submit my regular application to the law school.... At this point in time, prolly not gonna happen.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:24 am

vegenator wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I received a letter TODAY about the Woodruff, and the deadline is Wed...

+1. and the letter reminded me of the 2 step process. Step one of which is to submit my regular application to the law school.... At this point in time, prolly not gonna happen.

I can submit the app in 2 days, but finding someone who isn't a recommendation letter writer to write the nomination letter is going to take more than a week at the very least.

I also don't like the mid Feb notification and 48 hour window to accept/decline - you are forced to not compare the offer with anything else.

Another thought: On one hand I am glad a former scholar chose to return to work at the school, on another hand does that mean being a former scholar did not net a profitable career?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 am

vegenator wrote:

+1.

+1
nomination LOR in one day? Thanks, Emory.
Last edited by JJDancer on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:09 am

HAHAH surely this has to be a joke...?

bergg007

Re: Hello from Emory Law's Office of Admission

Postby bergg007 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 am

HeavenWood wrote:
EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Why were the application instructions for the fitness questions (http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness) posted after the application went “live” at http://www.lsac.org?

I told you it wasn't a conspiracy, Bergg...

That was months ago, way to let it go and move on. I hope we attend law school together people like you are so much fun...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 am

tttlllsss wrote:HAHAH surely this has to be a joke...?

If you are talking about the Woodruff scholarship ... the deadline is 5P tomorrow. It makes me wonder about other operations of the school. I am starting to feel the complaints about them may actually have some merits. It isn't just me and my mail service apparently since others just received it too. They must have mailed it last week.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

I thought the deadline was Tuesday the 12th.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:09 pm

I was just at the website today, and although the deadline used to be January 5, they appear to have changed it to January 11, for what it's worth.

http://www.law.emory.edu/admission/wood ... ocess.html

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”