Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheAudacityofHope

Re: Emory 2011

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:58 pm

lastch2 wrote:0%...they'd be too busy actually studying to care about TLS?? :?:

Which is why I said "...or will have been."

To me, it seems like the #1 student in a given class is likely to come from one of the so-called auto-admits. That'll mean that student is likely above both 75ths. I think this because they say that the LSAT is a good indication of 1L performance.

To extrapolate anything from this is tough, though, because an auto-admit at #49 doesn't mean an auto-admit at HYS, at all.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:59 pm

i hope so

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:02 pm

TheAudacityofHope wrote:
lastch2 wrote:0%...they'd be too busy actually studying to care about TLS?? :?:

Which is why I said "...or will have been."

To me, it seems like the #1 student in a given class is likely to come from one of the so-called auto-admits. That'll mean that student is likely above both 75ths. I think this because they say that the LSAT is a good indication of 1L performance.

To extrapolate anything from this is tough, though, because an auto-admit at #49 doesn't mean an auto-admit at HYS, at all.

what?

And there's pretty weak correlation between ugpa/lsat and law school grades, so you can't really make that kind of inference. Someone with an LSAT above the 75th may be slightly more likely.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 pm

This thread has taken a turn for the worse.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Tomorrow will be the day.
Miss Cleo told me

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I just got my mail............and..........

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:I just got my mail............and..........

"Is this you, HelltotheNO?"

-Sincerely, McGeorge

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 pm

cholza00 wrote:a carrier pigeon with a little Emory seal on his chest keeps tapping on my office window... this could be it?!

make sure its not an Indiana seal we all know how close they are :wink:

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm

While we wait for decisions, lets pass the time by looking back at some classic TLS threads.

Here are some:

Barry v. Nova
JUmpJUmp

If anyone has more to contribute please post them! Recent ones would be appreciated too.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 pm

rman1201 wrote:While we wait for decisions, lets pass the time by looking back at some classic TLS threads.

Here are some:

Barry v. Nova
JUmpJUmp

If anyone has more to contribute please post them! Recent ones would be appreciated too.

Both those topics are magic.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 pm

rman1201 wrote:While we wait for decisions, lets pass the time by looking back at some classic TLS threads.

Here are some:

Barry v. Nova
JUmpJUmp

I just looked at that JUmp JUmp thread and saw the shamu pic.

Last edited by bergg007 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:27 pm

good thing about TLS is that other people will always find out acceptances and post them before I do. So I will go check my mail with zero hope of an emory mailing.

TheAudacityofHope

Postby TheAudacityofHope » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:34 pm

I called Emory Law admissions and told them "you can't spell memory without Emory."

They said, "We don't remember receiving your application."

EmoryAdmissionDean

Update from Emory Law

Postby EmoryAdmissionDean » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Hello TLSers – this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Emory Law. I appreciate your indulging my posts in this discussion thread periodically. With decision season upon us, I wanted to provide you some information on where we are in the process.

Earlier this week, we completed our early decision program for our Woodruff Fellowship applicants. With that process behind us, we are now able to begin mailing admission decision and merit scholarship information for everyone else. I believe that “EmoryRob” has addressed the process of how we are sending out decisions in the “Discuss Your Law School” forum. I encourage you to ask him questions over there. He needs to earn his paycheck.

Thanks for being patient as we release the initial batch of decisions. We are implementing some new processes this year, and one of those includes printing customized admission view books based on your application. So, if your personal statement centered on your love of corporate law and finance, don’t be surprised if your admission book contains a focus on our Center for Transactional Law and Practice. (No, if you wrote about your love for all-u-can eat breakfast buffets, we will not have a special section on food law in your admission book.)

And, I must confess. In theory, I envisioned this printing process to be very straight forward. Unfortunately, during implementation, I am having flashbacks to my dad trying to teach me how to parallel park; he made it sound so easy, but our neighbors didn’t appreciate my running over their shrubs. Anyhow, this is all to say that I appreciate your not attacking the postal worker each day. I promise the decisions are coming.

Finally, I hope that you will come and visit us soon. We have scheduled extra tours in March (http://www.law.emory.edu/visit), and our annual visiting day on April 9th is going to be great.

I look forward to meeting many of you in the upcoming weeks. You can always reach us at admission(a)law.emory.edu.

LttleBlakDress

Re: Update from Emory Law

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm

EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Hello TLSers – this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Emory Law. I appreciate your indulging my posts in this discussion thread periodically. With decision season upon us, I wanted to provide you some information on where we are in the process.

Earlier this week, we completed our early decision program for our Woodruff Fellowship candidates. With that process behind us, we are now able to begin mailing admission decision and merit scholarship information for everyone else. I believe that “EmoryRob” has addressed the process of how we are sending out decisions in the “Discuss Your Law School” forum. I encourage you to ask him questions over there. He needs to earn his paycheck.

Thanks for being patient as we release the initial batch of decisions. We are implementing some new processes this year, and one of those includes printing customized admission view books based on your application. So, if your personal statement centered on your love of corporate law and finance, don’t be surprised if your admission book contains a focus on our Center for Transactional Law and Practice. (No, if you wrote about your love for all-u-can eat breakfast buffets, we will not have a special section on food law in your admission book.)

And, I must confess. In theory, I envisioned this printing process to be very straight forward. Unfortunately, during implementation, I am having flashbacks to my dad trying to teach me how to parallel park; he made it sound so easy, but our neighbors didn’t appreciate my running over their shrubs. Anyhow, this is all to say that I appreciate your not attacking the postal worker each day. I promise the decisions are coming.

Finally, I hope that you will come and visit us soon. We have scheduled extra tours in March (http://www.law.emory.edu/visit), and our annual visiting day on April 9th is going to be great.

I look forward to meeting many of you in the upcoming weeks. You can always reach us at admission(a)law.emory.edu.

As a fine dining professional, I would immediately go to any school that sent me information about food law. No questions asked. No consideration to any other options. I'd just be like bam. Deposit mailed. Perfect fit.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm

So, I understand this to mean that admission letters have not been sent.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 pm

In other words... March?

ukgrad

Postby ukgrad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Woo!!!! Hello #1 choice. The applicants are hilarious, the admissions office sends a rep to TLS to answer questions, and then the DEAN himself arrives. I'm praying for an accept and some money so I can meet you all April 9th!

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Well, here's to hoping Emory throws some serious coin at all of us. Tough to schedule trips to visit schools when you are still waiting to know all your options.

At this point, it's going to take a lot to lure me away from $$$ at IU or Bama...

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

JakeL wrote:So, I understand this to mean that admission letters have not been sent.

They're going through this thread matching posters to applicants, so they can send our decisions in whatever manner we jokingly suggested.

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm

fatduck wrote:
JakeL wrote:So, I understand this to mean that admission letters have not been sent.

They're going through this thread matching posters to applicants, so they can send our decisions in whatever manner we jokingly suggested.

Dear Emory,

I would like mine wrapped in hundred dollar bills, preferably delivered before the end of the month. PM me for contact info.

Regards,

ebo

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 pm

ok, I put off lunch way too long...time to stop refreshing this forum.

@odb that's the nicest thing anyone's said to me on this site, thanks.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm

The admissions dean would show up immediately after we begin posting pictures of Shamu.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

rman1201 wrote:The admissions dean would show up immediately after we begin posting pictures of Shamu.

it's basically the batsignal

i just hope he's thinking "wow, i hope we admit all of these people" and not "dear god, i hope we haven't admitted any of these people"
Last edited by fatduck on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ukgrad

Postby ukgrad » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

fatduck wrote:

I'd like mine hand-delivered with a suitcase full of cash for my tuition. And I'd prefer the delivery man to be an incredibly good-looking man who loves to
cook and give me back massages while I write briefs.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”