Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
krad

Re: Emory 2011

Postby krad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks zeke!

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Emory_Rob wrote:I can tell you that about 400 notifications left my part of the process about a week ago, and not quite another 200 today. I wish I had a better idea of how long it will take them to get from my desk to your mailbox, but since it’s the first time we’re doing it this way I don’t really know. Dean Rosenzweig had the first batch on his desk at the first part of this week, so I hope they’ll be arriving any time now.

So does this mean the first batch of decisions has already been mailed?

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

I would guess that they've already been mailed (or at least as of yesterday) and that hopefully some people will begin to receive them over the next few days (as the email said)...!

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Ughhhh I'm overseas right now and I was hoping I'd be able to get an email about it if I got accepted. Now I'll have to wait three weeks until I come back to see if I have anything in the mail (unless of course, I get WL or dinged via email :? ).

wesker

Postby wesker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 pm

You guys need to take a chill pill with all of the median LSAT number crunching. Emory definitely is doing a lot more than just accepting people with the right numbers. Unfortunately, USNWR forces schools to play the numbers game to an extent, but "medians" really allow a lot of wiggle room.

--ImageRemoved--

And there's Emory's LSAT distribution for our class, c/o 2013.

We have a lot of very interesting students, and generally I think that our class is pretty diverse (re: not skin color, but unique experiences). I'm extremely happy to be a student here and honestly feel like I couldn't have picked a better school. I've already explained my love for our professors and administration. In an earlier post I was sort of down on OCS. Let me just go ahead and say I've done a completely 180º on the subject. In the past week, my OCS advisor has been amazingly helpful, more so than I could have ever imagined.

For those of you who get accepted, I strongly suggest you check out the school. Come to visit while classes are going on, speak with Dean Brokaw (she's awesome), speak with Ethan, speak with anyone you can basically. It's a really welcoming community and I think you'll agree.

One last point, to the poster that said they expect Emory's "ranking" to drop in the coming years. Honestly? I don't really care about rankings at this point, and once you're a 1L you won't either. But, in my opinion, I only seem Emory going up in the USNWR rankings. It's a great school with a reputation on the rise, definitely. Rankings aren't everything. There are plenty of students here who chose Emory over other t14 options because they fell in love with the school.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 pm

wesker wrote:It's a great school with a reputation on the rise, definitely.

Cite one piece of evidence in support of this please. I'd like to believe you.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:11 pm

wesker wrote:Emory definitely is doing a lot more than just accepting people with the right numbers.

Look, I like Emory as much as anyone else on this thread. I wouldn't have applied there if I didn't. But data's data.

wesker

Postby wesker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am

tttlllsss wrote:Look, I like Emory as much as anyone else on this thread. I wouldn't have applied there if I didn't. But data's data.

and then there's all the <165 acceptances... and these are only the students that matriculated

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:54 am

Weskar wrote: "There are plenty of students here who chose Emory over other t-14 options..."

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:28 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Weskar wrote: "There are plenty of students here who chose Emory over other t-14 options..."

Your point being....?

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Would you go to BU/BC/GW or Emory?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:51 pm

username99 wrote:Would you go to BU/BC/GW or Emory?

Assuming equal scholly $s or lack thereof and no regional preference. BC

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:03 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
username99 wrote:Would you go to BU/BC/GW or Emory?

Assuming equal scholly $s or lack thereof and no regional preference. BC

It's funny - people have been saying that recently and I wonder why...it's the lowest ranked of those schools. What are your thoughts on it?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 pm

wesker wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:Look, I like Emory as much as anyone else on this thread. I wouldn't have applied there if I didn't. But data's data.

and then there's all the <165 acceptances... and these are only the students that matriculated

URMs. In case of short term memory loss, this http://emory.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/.

HelltotheNo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Weskar wrote: "There are plenty of students here who chose Emory over other t-14 options..."

Your point being....?

other T-14 options implies that Emory itself is a T-14 option. It is not. That's the point. I LOLed.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 pm

cade, i promise you not every sub 165 is a URM. to imply that emory would only accept URMs whose numbers are below their medians is facile and fatuous.

edit for clarity- to imply that the only sub-median people emory accepts are URMs is facile and fatuous.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:52 pm

ze2151 wrote:cade, i promise you not every sub 165 is a URM. to imply that emory would only accept URMs whose numbers are below their medians is facile and fatuous.

edit for clarity- to imply that the only sub-median people emory accepts are URMs is facile and fatuous.

He was probably exaggerating for effect, but that doesn't change the fact that Emory is extremely median sensitive. If you're below that magic number, you're not getting in unless you're a truly special snowflake.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 pm

ze2151 wrote:cade, i promise you not every sub 165 is a URM. to imply that emory would only accept URMs whose numbers are below their medians is facile and fatuous.

I was indeed exaggerating, but not much. How else do you explain only matriculating about five 165s versus 65 164s and below. This is blatant quota filling. Emory enrolled 247 students into the class of 2012, which based on Wesker's graph means 25-26% of those enrolled were 164 and below. 36% of Emory's class qualifies as URM: do you really think that sub-section is evenly distributed across the LSAT range. Of course not. If you're URM and at or above Emory's median, you're not going to Emory. You're going to a T-14. Anyway, you can argue in the face of stats all you want, and I'm sure life is nice in fantasyland.

Just for comparison, please take a look at what truly holistic admissions looks like. NOTE THE LACK OF ANY GREEN VERTICAL LINE!!!!!!
http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

S.T. Kemp

Postby S.T. Kemp » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Emory student taking ?s. Post or PM. The law student taking ?s forum is to dead.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Just for comparison, please take a look at what truly holistic admissions looks like. NOTE THE LACK OF ANY GREEN VERTICAL LINE!!!!!!

keep in mind that you posted a graph that

a.) has LSAT scores on the x-axis
b.) is from a school that places more emphasis on gpa

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

Your point being....?

other T-14 options implies that Emory itself is a T-14 option. It is not. That's the point. I LOLed.

T-14 is used as an adjective modifying the phrase "other options"

his phrasing is a little vague (a comma between "other" and "t-14" would have been clearer) but the fact that we all know t-14 refers to the top 14 schools in the us news rankings should lead you to the correct interpretation

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:41 pm

fatduck wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Just for comparison, please take a look at what truly holistic admissions looks like. NOTE THE LACK OF ANY GREEN VERTICAL LINE!!!!!!

If Berkeley weighed GPA as heavily as Emory weighed LSAT there would be a horizontal line, which there isn't. There isn't even that strong of a diagonal line, indicating more holistic admissions.
The Emory line is about as linear as it gets.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm

rman1201 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

If Berkeley weighed GPA as heavily as Emory weighed LSAT there would be a horizontal line, which there isn't. There isn't even that strong of a diagonal line, indicating more holistic admissions.

i don't have a dog in this race and i wasn't trying to defend emory

just saying that "LOOK NO VERTICAL LINES!!!!111" is pretty misleading, and though it's harder to see since the berkeley graph is so crowded with rejections (and has a ton more data points in general) there's definitely a steep dropoff in acceptances below 3.67 or so. making visual inferences (and comparisons) off graphs like this is pretty suspect to begin with.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 pm

fatduck wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

i don't have a dog in this race and i wasn't trying to defend emory

just saying that "LOOK NO VERTICAL LINES!!!!111" is pretty misleading, and though it's harder to see since the berkeley graph is so crowded with rejections (and has a ton more data points in general) there's definitely a steep dropoff in acceptances below 3.67 or so. making visual inferences (and comparisons) off graphs like this is pretty suspect to begin with.

The point is, with a school like Berkeley it is pretty much impossible to make a visual inference. Thats because it doesn't have any sort of clear cut-offs. If you look at Emory's data you can say with about 99% certainty if you're >= 166, accepted, <166 and not a URM/Non-Trad, rejected.

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:17 pm

This thread is for writing about waitlists, denials and acceptances. Please stop trying to make whatever points you want to about Emory. There are other threads for that. Also, this isn't about Berkeley. I've already been rejected from Berkeley, I don't need to hear about it.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 pm

wesker wrote:

People below the median are more likely to matriculate, it's just common sense. it's important to point out the fact that while >165ers make up 25% of the class they are a much larger range. LSN gives evidence of acceptances as far down as 155. so if roughly 65 people were accepted in the range of 164 - 155 that is an average of 6.5 people in each group. The 166-168 group alone had and average of 65 persons per group. If we are to assume this graph is correct and that there are roughly 290 people enrolled at Emory then 166-180 is 76% of the student body and 24% of the student body is in the 155-165 range. This means that the median lsat would be 166 and only 24% of the student body is below that. if it were a true median then 50% should be below that. This graph is fantastic evidence of Emory's Numbers based admissions policies. They may read your whole app, but the numbers are easily the biggest factor for them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”