Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
edgarfigaro

Re: Emory 2011

Postby edgarfigaro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm

rman1201 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the last acceptance/info/scholarship you get is what you're most excited about other things being equal. I end up favoring the last school to send me a pretty pack and nice scholarship - perhaps this is what they're counting on?

Money being equal...

It goes Best School you get into >>>> First school you get into>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>last school you get into.

I know I'm more likely to goto the school that let me in in December than one that waited to March, just because I've spent the past 3 months thinking about going there.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:05 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the last acceptance/info/scholarship you get is what you're most excited about other things being equal. I end up favoring the last school to send me a pretty pack and nice scholarship - perhaps this is what they're counting on?

Money being equal...

It goes Best School you get into >>>> First school you get into>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>last school you get into.

I know I'm more likely to goto the school that let me in in December than one that waited to March, just because I've spent the past 3 months thinking about going there.

I guess it just varies by the person. I honestly take several minutes to even recall the schools that let me in back in December (semi-peers to the more recent acceptances).

iknownothing

Postby iknownothing » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Emory_Rob wrote:On a different subject: to give you guys some updated information, we are preparing to send out our first batch of acceptances in the next week or so. This will represent about a third of the total acceptances we expect to issue. If you start hearing about other people getting acceptances and your mailbox stays stubbornly empty, that has NO SIGNIFICANCE. There will probably be people who applied after you did that hear something before you do. Files go into the review process in the order in which they were received; however, numerous people review your file, so it may not exit the review process in order. We’re going as fast as we can, but in the long run it’s more important that we get the decision right than getting it right now.

Just to repeat, roughly twice as many people who are accepted will NOT be in the first batch.

Posted on the 3rd. So... that would be today or so... :)

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

^ thanks for posting!!

iknownothing

Postby iknownothing » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 pm

krad wrote:^ thanks for posting!!

No problem, I figured my forum stalking/unproductivity at work could be put to some use :P

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:45 pm

I still want Emory just as bad. I applied to over 15 schools and have still not heard from 9 of them. It is only early February so in my opinion we are still in the preliminary stages of acceptances etc.

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:49 pm

I had someone PM me this about Emory and the OCI rumor/reality

this may be helpful to some other users on the forum

"The idea that Emory's OCI slide was disproportionate to its peers is entirely a myth, largely due to the sensationalism of TLS, drawing unfounded conclusions from misleading statistics. There are a couple of reason for why it's not true.

1. Nobody bothered to look at Emory's OCI from 2009 or 2008. Most of the schools in the top 25 will have over 100 firms come to their OCI, and every firm is looking for the exact same thing: kids in the top 1/3.
So theoretically Notre Dame could have the entire NLJ 250 show up to OCI, but if all of them are only looking for kids in the top 1/3, then 2/3 of class will still go without jobs. The fundamental problem with using OCI numbers as a proxy for employment is inherently flawed unless you can find the number of offers given out on average per firm.
When the economy tanked a while back, Emory already had only 61 firms at 2008 OCI, a paltry number compared to every other school in the rest of the T25. The firms however, where taking about 1.5 kids on average from OCI, resulting in a much much higher ratio of interviews/offers than peer schools. So 2009 OCI, the first doom-and-gloom hiring period, Emory intentionally cut down on their "courtesy" interview firms. I don't exactly know the motivation for this, but I think it was a result more of firms not feeling the need to interview. At a lot of schools, firms knew they weren't hiring, but if they didn't at least come to OCI then they would be afraid of severing the ties they had with that school. So a bazillion employers around the nation these past two cycles interviewed at schools and didn't hire a single person. This was not the case at Emory.
Now, a lot of people like to peg this fear up to "recent" OCI struggles. But I don't know if you noticed in that last paragraph. Emory has had 29 firms come to OCI two years in a row now, and only 61 in the boom times, so there is no "recent woe" so to speak, nothing has changed. The entire premise of "OCI woes" is mainly based out of ignorance of the fact that Emory has always had a low number of firms attending OCI. Part of that was explained in the aforementioned paragraph, but the other part was because
2. Emory's OCI is decentralized, and that number only takes into account the southeastern region for hiring. Mainly firms from Florida, various other midsized towns in the southeast, and of course Atlanta. Now, i'm not going to lie to you, getting biglaw from Atlanta is tough right now. As a proportion of its population, Atlanta led the nation in layoffs in the legal sector. I think the number was right around 7%. So naturally a 50+% drop (61 to 29) in firms from 2008 to 2009/10 was huge, but it doesn't actually reflect the state of hiring from Emory.
One of the great things about Emory is that, outside of the top 20, it has some of the best mobility to big cities. Emory is a brand name that carries (best to New York,) but also at other firms throughout the southeast, especially if you have connections.
I don't know what the logic is. But Emory has an OCI New York, in New York. As well as an OCI Los Angeles, in Los Angeles. They have one for DC and Chicago too, but none of them are as big as New Yorks. I think the total number of firms coming to OCI outside of the "On Campus" was around 40+, so if you want to do an all inclusive OCI count (aka what other schools actually published) it'd be over 70 firms. Now I know at these OCIs the firms are not quite as inclined to hiring as the main one back in Atlanta, but people absolutely do get jobs there. I have a very good 3L friend who got a job at a Dechert off of Emory's NYOCI. Two other kids in that same class got jobs and Kirkland & Ellis from that same OCI.

So final question: is Emory actually doing worse than it's peers as of late. Well, we don't know. Nobody knows, and nobody will know until 2013 when the c/o 2011 statistics are published along with the % of the class landing NLJ250 jobs. The only thing anybody definitely knows is that we don't know anything. Now, from all other circumstantial metrics for judging how well a school's hiring is doing, there is absolutely no indication that Emory is doing any worse than its peers. Sure they're struggling a little bit, but frankly so is every other school in this range. "

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:01 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:I had someone PM me this about Emory and the OCI rumor/reality

"The idea that Emory's OCI slide was disproportionate to its peers is entirely a myth, largely due to the sensationalism of TLS, drawing unfounded conclusions from misleading statistics. There are a couple of reason for why it's not true.

So final question: is Emory actually doing worse than it's peers as of late. Well, we don't know. Nobody knows, and nobody will know until 2013 when the c/o 2011 statistics are published along with the % of the class landing NLJ250 jobs. The only thing anybody definitely knows is that we don't know anything. Now, from all other circumstantial metrics for judging how well a school's hiring is doing, there is absolutely no indication that Emory is doing any worse than its peers. Sure they're struggling a little bit, but frankly so is every other school in this range. "

Good information, thanks. I'd bet anything however that Emory's ranking will drop by at least 5 or so in the next year. I don't think this matters, but who knows. Between the misconceptions about Emory's OCI and the problem brought up in this thread in regard to Emory's late acceptances and top students committing elsewhere I feel Emory is bound for a drop in medians/yield.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:08 pm

rman1201 wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:I had someone PM me this about Emory and the OCI rumor/reality

Good information, thanks. I'd bet anything however that Emory's ranking will drop by at least 5 or so in the next year. I don't think this matters, but who knows. Between the misconceptions about Emory's OCI and the problem brought up in this thread in regard to Emory's late acceptances and top students committing elsewhere I feel Emory is bound for a drop in medians/yield.

I doubt it. I think they will probably throw around enough money to get what they need.

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:09 pm

I have a 167 which after doing some research on Emory's stats should be a hot commodity for them this cycle. If they offer me good $$$ then I will be taking my talents to ATL.

onepass

Postby onepass » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:46 pm

The fact that Emory takes a bit more time and reviews applications in a more holistic manner is incredibly appealing to me. Personally, I'm far more frustrated with how WUSL is handing out decisions.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 pm

onepass wrote:The fact that Emory takes a bit more time and reviews applications in a more holistic manner is incredibly appealing to me. Personally, I'm far more frustrated with how WUSL is handing out decisions.

Anyone who considers this holistic hasn't done enough LS research.

DClawyer

Postby DClawyer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 pm

onepass wrote:The fact that Emory takes a bit more time and reviews applications in a more holistic manner is incredibly appealing to me. Personally, I'm far more frustrated with how WUSL is handing out decisions.

It's not holistic, they just want to have all the apps so that they can look at all the range of numbers (LSAT and GPA) and make decisions based on this. This helps their yield, people that arent that interested in Emory withdraw by this point. They say that they want to read our application thoroughly, but how long does it really take to read an application? I work at undergrad admissions, and it takes me 10 - 15mins to read an application without skipping LOR's, which most people just skim to make sure there's nothing bad in them.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:58 pm

DClawyer

Postby DClawyer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 pm

rman1201 wrote:

+1

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm

^ I was waiting for someone to post that in this discussion hah

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:02 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:I have a 167 which after doing some research on Emory's stats should be a hot commodity for them this cycle. If they offer me good $$$ then I will be taking my talents to ATL.

Me too. I was hoping for UGA but i've been in review for months and I know what's coming. If i get a little money at emory it might be enough to pull me to ATL

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 pm

The one random red triangle had an orig LSAT of 160 and retook in Dec FWIW. So you can just take him out of the picture and its perfect.

HappyinDC

Postby HappyinDC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm

You know...I'll just say it. The last few posts here make me think maybe we're all get a little too spoiled and self-entitled to get the decisions ASAP. Bet most people here weren't this upset or disappointed or saying bad things about Emory's process when they first got the "complete" email where we were told they wouldn't give out the first round of decisions until mid-February. Does it suck? Yes. Is it the end of the world or does it mean the school sucks? No. Just suck it up and be patient.

End rant.

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:11 pm

HappyinDC wrote:You know...I'll just say it. The last few posts here make me think maybe we're all get a little too spoiled and self-entitled to get the decisions ASAP. Bet most people here weren't this upset or disappointed or saying bad things about Emory's process when they first got the "complete" email where we were told they wouldn't give out the first round of decisions until mid-February. Does it suck? Yes. Is it the end of the world or does it mean the school sucks? No. Just suck it up and be patient.

End rant.

My problem is that it's not an isolated problem. Emory displays inabilities to do things that other schools do perfectly, such as post your application by a reasonable time, have a working website, and don't keep every applicant waiting longer than is necessary. I don't care about finding out asap - I've been in at other schools for months. It's a matter of professionalism and Emory has little.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm

username99 wrote:
HappyinDC wrote:You know...I'll just say it. The last few posts here make me think maybe we're all get a little too spoiled and self-entitled to get the decisions ASAP. Bet most people here weren't this upset or disappointed or saying bad things about Emory's process when they first got the "complete" email where we were told they wouldn't give out the first round of decisions until mid-February. Does it suck? Yes. Is it the end of the world or does it mean the school sucks? No. Just suck it up and be patient.

End rant.

My problem is that it's not an isolated problem. Emory displays inabilities to do things that other schools do perfectly, such as post your application by a reasonable time, have a working website, and don't keep every applicant waiting longer than is necessary. I don't care about finding out asap - I've been in at other schools for months. It's a matter of professionalism and Emory has little.

LMFAO get off your high horse. So because Emory has a delayed/slower review process and had an IT problem, they have little professionalism? Jesus, if Emory bothers you this much why do you even give a rat's ass if you even get in?

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 pm

JakeL wrote:
username99 wrote:

End rant.

LMFAO get off your high horse. So because Emory has a delayed/slower review process and had an IT problem, they have little professionalism? Jesus, if Emory bothers you this much why do you even give a rat's ass if you even get in?

Well, Jake, because I like the school. I'd like to go there but it seems like they are trying hard to convince people not to go there. Again, I don't care that they have a slow review process and they didn't have IT problems. They just didn't post their integrity page on their site so a number of people sent in the application before it was up and the dean needed to reach out to those people. Also, their scholarship info took forever to appear on their site. Those aren't glitches - they are the result of the school not doing its job. If every other school can take care of businesses and Emory can't, that doesn't speak well of Emory. But here, to get off my high horse, I can understand a school having a problem or two. What I can't understand is a school that is in competition with a number of similarly ranked schools having absolutely no sense of urgency regarding any part of its admissions process. I would hate to think that my education and my job prospects via OCI would be treated in the same manner.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Then why again do you want to go there?

username99

Postby username99 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:30 pm

JakeL wrote:Then why again do you want to go there?

To hang out with you! But also, I like the school and area and got a great vibe every time I've been down there. Criticism is okay when its deserved, you know? Otherwise, I dig the place.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:30 pm

It's really not that big of a deal... if you want to see true slowness apply to Cornell.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”