Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25 pm

bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Bumi wrote:The Emory application requires you to state that you had read the Emory Law Character and Fitness guidelines on their website. This website wasn't up until like the 25th or so. Meaning that if you did submit on the 21st, you were contacted by the Dean a few days later pointing out that you verified that you had read a thing that didn't exist at the time, and asking you to go read the website and reverify.

That happened to me. Do you think it will be held against me?

Honestly? yeah I think it will be held against you but with your numbers you'll get in anyway, they may not offer you as much money. I'm cynical though, I think that them holding that character and fitness section was a test to the early applicants. Emory seems like they can be dickbags at times.

You honestly think that Emory will withhold scholarship money because applicants didn't visit a website they forgot to put up until 4 days after the app could be submitted? Moreover, you think that the Dean of Emory Law purposefully schemed to do this in order to test applicants? In other words, you think that the Dean of a Top-30 law program admits so frivolously that he includes a test to see whether applicants visited a website? And what would this be testing, exactly? And how would he explain this to his employees in the admissions office? And how would this affect the admission index? And how about the fact that EVERYONE who applied within the span of Oct 21-25 would have "FAILED" the "TEST"?

Good god, please tell me you're kidding, otherwise I think I just lost a little faith in humanity.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm

That happened to me too...

After I got the email from the dean, I pretty much counted Emory as a future rejection... :lol:

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:47 pm

kk19131 wrote:That happened to me too...

After I got the email from the dean, I pretty much counted Emory as a future rejection... :lol:

Everyone who applied during that 3 day period would have received the same e-mail. Also, that is a VERY large number of people, especially considering the fact that Emory had one of the latest apps posted, and many applicants were eager to get it in as soon as possible.

I know this thread is rife with criticism for Emory, but this sort of wild speculation and disrespect for the merits of Emory's application process are quite frankly offensive to the school and everyone who submitted an application with good intention.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Does anyone know what Emory's class of 2013 numbers were?

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 am

tttlllsss wrote:

Everyone who applied during that 3 day period would have received the same e-mail. Also, that is a VERY large number of people, especially considering the fact that Emory had one of the latest apps posted, and many applicants were eager to get it in as soon as possible.

I know this thread is rife with criticism for Emory, but this sort of wild speculation and disrespect for the merits of Emory's application process are quite frankly offensive to the school and everyone who submitted an application with good intention.

Due respect, but I strongly disagree. I submitted my application with perfectly good intentions, but the school seems to be doing all it can to dissuade folks from matriculating.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:03 am

username99 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

Due respect, but I strongly disagree. I submitted my application with perfectly good intentions, but the school seems to be doing all it can to dissuade folks from matriculating.

This is an example of poor planning, not a conspiracy. Occam's Razor, my friend.

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am

HeavenWood wrote:
username99 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

Ha exactly. That's my point.

This is an example of poor planning, not a conspiracy. Occam's Razor, my friend.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:40 pm

username99 wrote:Ha exactly. That's my point.

My apologies, sarcasm detection fail on my part.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 am

HeavenWood wrote:
Bumi wrote:The Emory application requires you to state that you had read the Emory Law Character and Fitness guidelines on their website. This website wasn't up until like the 25th or so. Meaning that if you did submit on the 21st, you were contacted by the Dean a few days later pointing out that you verified that you had read a thing that didn't exist at the time, and asking you to go read the website and reverify.

I would find it hard to believe that it would. Let me put it this way: I'm not worried about it.

Cwilson71

Postby Cwilson71 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Yeah I know what you guys mean. I have not been impressed with them. First I read a lot about how awful their career services department is. Then, I found a request information part of their website. It took them 2 months to respond to me and all that they did was put a link to an online brochure that is on their website. Then they sent me the same exact email again a few days ago.

Then on top of this all the problems with the application. When I got the email basically saying I lied and didn't read the website I was confused because I remembered that the Woodruff page was not up but I remembered reading the conduct page. It seems they just added a bunch of examples.

Pretty disappointed in the process at Emory.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Cwilson71 wrote:Yeah I know what you guys mean. I have not been impressed with them. First I read a lot about how awful their career services department is. Then, I found a request information part of their website. It took them 2 months to respond to me and all that they did was put a link to an online brochure that is on their website. Then they sent me the same exact email again a few days ago.

Then on top of this all the problems with the application. When I got the email basically saying I lied and didn't read the website I was confused because I remembered that the Woodruff page was not up but I remembered reading the conduct page. It seems they just added a bunch of examples.

Exactly. I didn't take the email as an "oops you made a mistake" kind of email but more so a "you're a liar" email.

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Cwilson71 wrote:Yeah I know what you guys mean. I have not been impressed with them. First I read a lot about how awful their career services department is. Then, I found a request information part of their website. It took them 2 months to respond to me and all that they did was put a link to an online brochure that is on their website. Then they sent me the same exact email again a few days ago.

Exactly. I didn't take the email as an "oops you made a mistake" kind of email but more so a "you're a liar" email.

Really?? Wow. I didn't get that email bc I applied after that window, but I'm sure I would have been in that group. Can someone copy/paste the language they used? I am very curious.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm

The language was not at all harsh:

Thank you for applying to Emory Law. As part of our application process, we ask you
four questions regarding your character and fitness. These questions cause some
confusion to our applicants, which has led to incomplete and incorrect submissions
in past years.

To alleviate these concerns, we created specific guidance to assist you in preparing
your answers. This guidance is located at
http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness<http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness>. As part of your
application, you certified that you read this guidance, but unfortunately, this
webpage was not active when you submitted your application.

As such, your file will be marked incomplete until we receive an email from you
certifying that you have gone to
http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness<http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness> and read the guidance.
Also, if after reading the guidance, you need to amend your application, please
simply attach any amendment to your email.

This email should be sent to me at erosenz@emory.edu
<mailto:erosenz@emory.edu
>.

I encourage you to read the application and guidance carefully, and contact us if
you have any questions. Again, even if the rest of your file is completed, your
file is incomplete until we hear back from you.

Thank you,
Ethan Rosenzweig
Dean of Admission and Financial Aid
Emory Law

It doesn't sound punitive in the least.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:40 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Honestly? yeah I think it will be held against you but with your numbers you'll get in anyway, they may not offer you as much money. I'm cynical though, I think that them holding that character and fitness section was a test to the early applicants. Emory seems like they can be dickbags at times.

You honestly think that Emory will withhold scholarship money because applicants didn't visit a website they forgot to put up until 4 days after the app could be submitted? Moreover, you think that the Dean of Emory Law purposefully schemed to do this in order to test applicants? In other words, you think that the Dean of a Top-30 law program admits so frivolously that he includes a test to see whether applicants visited a website? And what would this be testing, exactly? And how would he explain this to his employees in the admissions office? And how would this affect the admission index? And how about the fact that EVERYONE who applied within the span of Oct 21-25 would have "FAILED" the "TEST"?

Good god, please tell me you're kidding, otherwise I think I just lost a little faith in humanity.

It's not like they aren't going to get a bunch more qualified applicants who "read" the Character and fitness section. I think these guys are a little sadistic and cold in general. I think that for people on the margins; like me!, this test will fail them. It will show a bit of "dishonesty" even though it's just like the terms and conditions that no one ever reads but they always agree to. I don't think it'll affect the auto-admits or the solid candidates, just the marginal people. luckily i applied later, and didn't read it then.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:43 pm

everyone who got the email should withdraw to save face ;)

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:49 pm

I think you're seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one. They fucked up and didn't have the site done on time and then realized the mistake and probably still legally needed folks to sign that they read the thing so they sent out an email the tone of which reflected their bitterness over their own mistake. Not one thing in this entire thread has made me want to go to Emory.

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 pm

The Dean's letter does not seem rude in the least. I'm sure it's fine. I don't think it'll be held against anyone.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

I think that Emory finally realized that we are all rankings whores. Most of us would kill our own mother to get into HYS, kill a brother or sister for T14, and maybe a cousin for T25. after that we'll just rough up a stranger. Emory knows that people will still matriculate and tons will pick them over instate rival georgia simply based on rank. I'd go to Georgia over emory in a heartbeat, but I'm not in the place to make that decision.

Emory knows their ranking gives them the power. Saps like us will apply and eventually matriculate no matter what. ever notice how nice Cooley is to you? They offered me $100,000 and I haven't even applied. it's just sitting in some nigerian princes bank account waiting for me...

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:56 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bergg007 wrote:everyone who got the email should withdraw to save face ;)

Think that will get you accepted? :wink:

couldn't hurt. might be what it takes.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:58 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I'd go to Georgia over emory in a heartbeat

There's a strong chance you could get into neither. Is that what all this conspiracy theory nonsense is about? Sour grapes?

no, I'm just cynical. according to the official guide i have a decent chance at each school. I have a lot of softs that could put me over the edge, but you never know.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:01 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:08 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I'd go to Georgia over emory in a heartbeat

There's a strong chance you could get into neither. Is that what all this conspiracy theory nonsense is about? Sour grapes?

no, I'm just cynical. according to the official guide i have a decent chance at each school. I have a lot of softs that could put me over the edge, but you never know.

http://emory.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

I'm out. Enjoy your fantasy world, bergg....

LSN isn't as accurate as the official guide because the guide isn't self selected. only 2 people in my position were rejected from UGA and Emory lists me as possible and a rep from emory personally told me i have a "good chance". fantasy land is nice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”