Emory 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kjadkins

Silver

Re: Emory 2011

Post by kjadkins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:51 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
kjadkins wrote:Just got an email today that I am UR. Anyone else?
Does it say anything else?
This is the text of the email:
Thank you for applying to Emory Law. We have received your application. Your file is complete and now being reviewed. Here are a few things you may find helpful:

Decision Notification: We will notify applicants of their admission decision beginning in mid-February continuing through early April. For privacy reasons, we cannot communicate decisions via phone.

Personalized Review: You spent a considerable amount of effort applying to Emory Law. In return, we are committed to providing a comprehensive evaluation of your application. Because of our commitment to considering all aspects of a candidate’s file, your file is reviewed numerous times. Thus, the order in which a file is submitted may not equate with the order in which decisions are made. We appreciate your patience. We will contact you if we need additional information.

Online Status Checker: We do not participate in an online status-checker because your status remains “in review” until our admission committee makes a final decision. We will contact you this spring once we have made a decision.

Scholarships: You are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships in the course of the admission process. Scholarships are announced when you are notified of your admission decision.

Addendums: We strongly discourage addendums because numerous individuals throughout the admission process review your file. If we request an addendum, send it electronically to admission@law.emory.edu.

Visits: We encourage prospective students to visit Emory Law to experience what attending Emory Law will be like. We offer school tours and classroom visits when school is in session. To register for a visit, go to http://www.law.emory.edu/visit.

Character and Fitness: Our commitment to our honor code and the high standards expected of members of the legal profession underscore the Emory Law experience. Carefully read our character and fitness guidance at http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness. Let us know if you have questions by emailing admission@law.emory.edu.

Welcoming our newest Emory lawyers is one of the Admission office’s greatest honors. If we can provide additional guidance, email us at admission@law.emory.edu.
I went back through my email, I never got a "complete" email, so this might be it and I might be getting my hopes up for nothing :/

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 pm

kjadkins wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
kjadkins wrote:Just got an email today that I am UR. Anyone else?
Does it say anything else?
This is the text of the email:
Thank you for applying to Emory Law. We have received your application. Your file is complete and now being reviewed. Here are a few things you may find helpful:

Decision Notification: We will notify applicants of their admission decision beginning in mid-February continuing through early April. For privacy reasons, we cannot communicate decisions via phone.

Personalized Review: You spent a considerable amount of effort applying to Emory Law. In return, we are committed to providing a comprehensive evaluation of your application. Because of our commitment to considering all aspects of a candidate’s file, your file is reviewed numerous times. Thus, the order in which a file is submitted may not equate with the order in which decisions are made. We appreciate your patience. We will contact you if we need additional information.

Online Status Checker: We do not participate in an online status-checker because your status remains “in review” until our admission committee makes a final decision. We will contact you this spring once we have made a decision.

Scholarships: You are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships in the course of the admission process. Scholarships are announced when you are notified of your admission decision.

Addendums: We strongly discourage addendums because numerous individuals throughout the admission process review your file. If we request an addendum, send it electronically to admission@law.emory.edu.

Visits: We encourage prospective students to visit Emory Law to experience what attending Emory Law will be like. We offer school tours and classroom visits when school is in session. To register for a visit, go to http://www.law.emory.edu/visit.

Character and Fitness: Our commitment to our honor code and the high standards expected of members of the legal profession underscore the Emory Law experience. Carefully read our character and fitness guidance at http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness. Let us know if you have questions by emailing admission@law.emory.edu.

Welcoming our newest Emory lawyers is one of the Admission office’s greatest honors. If we can provide additional guidance, email us at admission@law.emory.edu.
I went back through my email, I never got a "complete" email, so this might be it and I might be getting my hopes up for nothing :/
Yeah, I got that email after I went complete too. I think they just, well, forgot to send it to you. :?

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 pm

^ I just searched my inbox and that's the same email I got on 11/18. It looks like it is indeed just the generic "complete" email, but perhaps they actually realized they forgot to send it to you when they began to actively review your file today. Here's to hoping.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Yeah, I also got that e-mail back on 11/18.

Sorta interesting that Emory begins sending decisions a full season after many schools do, in the name of "being thorough", or whatever. I guess it takes 4+ months to read my personal statement and resume?

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I am curious as to everyones thoughts on Emory?

I keep hearing so much hate on TLS, does anyone have any thoughts? I heard the competition was "page ripping and cut throat"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 pm

SrLaw wrote:I am curious as to everyones thoughts on Emory?

I keep hearing so much hate on TLS, does anyone have any thoughts? I heard the competition was "page ripping and cut throat"
aw really? i gotta do some research on emory too. any thoughts would be great.

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:14 pm

I DID get an email from Emory today... to tell me that I did not make the cut for the 15 Woodruff finalists. Yeah, I had figured that out.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

aquyenl wrote:

I always thought Emory had a crazy strong rep and had allowed for great shots at ATL biglaw and reach up and down the coast. Supposedly, I am very wrong?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:17 pm

SrLaw wrote:
aquyenl wrote:

I always thought Emory had a crazy strong rep and had allowed for great shots at ATL biglaw and reach up and down the coast. Supposedly, I am very wrong?
You might be confusing Emory w/ Duke/Vanderbilt

Emory's good, albeit overrated. Google "Emory Law donuts" if you want to know partly why Emory has a bad rep around these parts

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
SrLaw wrote:
aquyenl wrote:

You might be confusing Emory w/ Duke/Vanderbilt

Emory's good, albeit overrated. Google "Emory Law donuts" if you want to know partly why Emory has a bad rep around these parts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My 167 is making me wish I had not missed those few idiot proof problems. I guess my "Emory is like Vandy" thought was unwarranted.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 pm

I am REALLY excited to hear back from Emory. Although having to choose between FSU, UF, and Emory would be a difficult decision, it would be a good one to have!

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

It seems to me that all the hate revolves around OCI. I am excited about Emory, but a little worried that all of the students are going to be self-entitled whiners from first hand complaints I've seen.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
It does show why emory has a bad rep "around these parts", and in doing so, it shows why "around these parts" (i.e. an anonymous internet forum) is a bad place to size up schools. If the angry rant of one person is enough to sway an entire community of future law students, then that community is probably not a good place to get objective information.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:05 pm

For those of you worrying that you haven't received a "complete" email or what not, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. For me, Emory was absolutely silent last year. I ended up calling a few times to confirm that my application was complete. Emory had also just switched to a paperless system which resulted in some decisions getting "lost." I had pretty much ruled the school out thinking I was certainly rejected due to silence. I finally received my first email form the school asking me if I had received my decision. After Emory realized their mistake, they immediately sent another acceptance package my way and scanned my acceptance letter (which included a sizable scholarship) and sent it via email.

Dean Rosenzweig is really an awesome guy and I'm sure he'd be willing to answer any concerns you have over your application. If you have approaching deadlines for scholarship acceptance at other schools, I'm sure he can do something to help.

Also, as for the whole OCI tidbit here at Emory... yeah OCI hasn't been that great from what we've seen. I'm a 1L here and we have 11 unique employers coming for 1L OCI. However, I don't think 1L OCI is much better at any of Emory's peers. Emory does offer a lot of networking (yeah, I hate that word too) opportunities however. I haven't been too thrilled with OCS, but there are lots of people to talk to and offer advice outside of OCS. The professors I've spoken to about the job market have given me excellent advice and have helped point me in the right direction. In particular, Dean Riggs and the rest of the administrative faculty are very aware of the job market. They're trying to do whatever they can to ease the job search for Emory students and yes, they've all read the ATL articles.

Also, Emory was always straight forward with us about the job market and the employment statistics of their current class with most (95%+ I think) of the class reporting. They don't try to pretend like "business" employment (aka, Starbucks) is anything more than what it is. I'd take all those employment statistics with a grain of salt and read the fine print. Make sure you're really getting the whole picture.

Emory is a great school and I'm glad I chose to come here. My only real gripe with Emory is that LWRAP is graded rather than pass/fail, which is just absolutely ridiculous.

cholza00

New

Post by cholza00 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:28 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:I DID get an email from Emory today... to tell me that I did not make the cut for the 15 Woodruff finalists. Yeah, I had figured that out.
I'm assuming I didn't make the cut either, I thought I had a decent shot with my numbers... Didn't get the reject email either though.. Did it look like a formal email cookie-cutter email sent to all non-Woodruffers?

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:29 pm

wesker wrote:For those of you worrying that you haven't received a "complete" email or what not, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. For me, Emory was absolutely silent last year. I ended up calling a few times to confirm that my application was complete. Emory had also just switched to a paperless system which resulted in some decisions getting "lost." I had pretty much ruled the school out thinking I was certainly rejected due to silence. I finally received my first email form the school asking me if I had received my decision. After Emory realized their mistake, they immediately sent another acceptance package my way and scanned my acceptance letter (which included a sizable scholarship) and sent it via email.

Dean Rosenzweig is really an awesome guy and I'm sure he'd be willing to answer any concerns you have over your application. If you have approaching deadlines for scholarship acceptance at other schools, I'm sure he can do something to help.

Also, as for the whole OCI tidbit here at Emory... yeah OCI hasn't been that great from what we've seen. I'm a 1L here and we have 11 unique employers coming for 1L OCI. However, I don't think 1L OCI is much better at any of Emory's peers. Emory does offer a lot of networking (yeah, I hate that word too) opportunities however. I haven't been too thrilled with OCS, but there are lots of people to talk to and offer advice outside of OCS. The professors I've spoken to about the job market have given me excellent advice and have helped point me in the right direction. In particular, Dean Riggs and the rest of the administrative faculty are very aware of the job market. They're trying to do whatever they can to ease the job search for Emory students and yes, they've all read the ATL articles.

Also, Emory was always straight forward with us about the job market and the employment statistics of their current class with most (95%+ I think) of the class reporting. They don't try to pretend like "business" employment (aka, Starbucks) is anything more than what it is. I'd take all those employment statistics with a grain of salt and read the fine print. Make sure you're really getting the whole picture.

Emory is a great school and I'm glad I chose to come here. My only real gripe with Emory is that LWRAP is graded rather than pass/fail, which is just absolutely ridiculous.
Thank you for a very informative post. Care to talk about your peers? Is the student body nice?

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:35 pm

Given Emory the least thought of where I applied, but I wouldn't mind living in the Southeast. I'm from SoFla but no interested in going back to the state (maybe on the future). I do like their placement in the region though. I do have a question though. Estimated total cost of attendance is $70k. I know Atlanta is a city, but that's as much as USC, GW, and NYC law schools state (talking about cost of living, not tuition). Again, Atlanta may not be cheap, but I refuse to believe it's as expensive as LA, DC, or NYC. What's the deal with that figure?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:25 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:Given Emory the least thought of where I applied, but I wouldn't mind living in the Southeast. I'm from SoFla but no interested in going back to the state (maybe on the future). I do like their placement in the region though. I do have a question though. Estimated total cost of attendance is $70k. I know Atlanta is a city, but that's as much as USC, GW, and NYC law schools state (talking about cost of living, not tuition). Again, Atlanta may not be cheap, but I refuse to believe it's as expensive as LA, DC, or NYC. What's the deal with that figure?
Thank you for asking this question. Any students (or Dean Rosenzweig, as he is kind enough to indulge us posters on occasions) able to elaborate on this? I plan on only needing about 12k in living expenses for Tallahassee and Gainseville so I am very interested a reason for this discrepancy.

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 pm

cholza00 wrote:
lvsmithmarsh wrote:I DID get an email from Emory today... to tell me that I did not make the cut for the 15 Woodruff finalists. Yeah, I had figured that out.
I'm assuming I didn't make the cut either, I thought I had a decent shot with my numbers... Didn't get the reject email either though.. Did it look like a formal email cookie-cutter email sent to all non-Woodruffers?
Yeah, it seemed pretty standard...

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:00 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:Given Emory the least thought of where I applied, but I wouldn't mind living in the Southeast. I'm from SoFla but no interested in going back to the state (maybe on the future). I do like their placement in the region though. I do have a question though. Estimated total cost of attendance is $70k. I know Atlanta is a city, but that's as much as USC, GW, and NYC law schools state (talking about cost of living, not tuition). Again, Atlanta may not be cheap, but I refuse to believe it's as expensive as LA, DC, or NYC. What's the deal with that figure?
That number's inflated so students can take out more in loans if they need to. I share an apartment (2 br 2 bath) two or thee miles away and I pay under $600 per month for a very nice, new apartment. And a friend of mine lives farther away, he shares a house with a few people, and I think he pays under $300 per month. However, the one bedroom apartments near campus are a little pricey. I think the typical range is $850-$1100 per month for these. So, if you want a nice apartment without roommates near the law school, you'll probably end up paying a lot. However, most people I know don't use the entire amount the school allots for living expenses.

As for the atmosphere, I don't think I've ever been around so many genuine, nice, caring, awesome people. When I'm sick, my friends email me notes before I even have to ask for them. I was sure I was going to fail civ pro last semester, so my friends gave me their outlines, talked me through concepts, and went through hypos with me until I got it. Even random 2Ls I had met once or twice sent me all of their outlines and flowcharts. People I didn't even know very well in my section emailed me awesome hypos and practice exams, and they offered to go over them with me. Oh, and people are always there to give me a hug if I need it. I have no idea where it got a reputation for being cut throat, but I assure you it's not.

wesker

New

Post by wesker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:56 pm

JakeL wrote:Thank you for a very informative post. Care to talk about your peers? Is the student body nice?
I've been genuinely impressed with the student body here. People are very friendly and there are lots of law-related social events for students to get to know one another. We have bar reviews 3 times a week - though I don't know what 1Ls can really go out on Thursday night when you've got 8am classes the next day. The people I've met don't really seem competitive either. I mean sure everyone knows we're on a curve and the job market is not the greatest (mostly for big firm work) but people aren't trying to one-up each other. When grades came out, everyone was very supportive (save the gunner or two) and always looking to make others feel better about grades they maybe weren't too pleased with. Everyone realizes that 90% of the people they know didn't do as well as they wanted.

I've never asked someone for notes and been told no. In fact, there have been times where fellow classmates of mine have seen me going home instead of going to class and offered to give me notes without my asking. 2 & 3Ls have also been really friendly in offering advice to the 1Ls. People also don't seem to be out to make these super exclusive like study groups either. Personally, I've been able to jump into other's study groups when mine wasn't meeting frequently enough.

That being said, there are certainly those few people that are... less than pleasant to be around. They've been figured out though, most pretty quickly and people just deal with them.

Law school is a lot like high school, except less awkward. You go to class with the same people and get to know them all very well. People do eventually form their little cliques, but again, they're not exclusive. You just tend to naturally hang out with people that are similar to you. For instance I generally go out with the same people, though were we go there's always other law students and everyone has a good time. I'm still in the process of meeting new 1Ls and there have only been a handful of people that I can say were truly... lame.

Also, I want to say again that I've been really impressed with the professors here. One of my professors from last semester definitely qualifies for the best professor I've ever had. Emory really did a good job picking a strong group of people to teach their students.

Re: living/estimated cost of attendance
A lot of students live at Campus Crossings. Rent for a 1/1 is about $1035 + $50 for parking and if you like to live comfortably, utilities will probably be $40-50 a month. By comfortably I mean 70-73 in the summer, and 69-71 in the winter. This might seem pricey, but they're furnished apartments and rent includes internet access (which is actually really good and reliable). The apartments are very nice as well. I chose to live at Campus Crossings because when I came home I wanted to feel good about where I lived. Also, I don't have to pay for campus parking ($650/year) because there's a shuttle that comes to Campus Crossings and goes directly to the law school. You can probably find other 1/1s for the $800-950 range, but you'll have to invest in furniture, pay water/sewer and internet. Most of those apartments will be older as well and thus not as efficient with utilities.

That being said, I never looked at anything other than 1/1s. When I come home, I want to come home to my home. Nothing against roommates, I just like my space. Plus, since I'm paying for this all on my own, I figure that another $10,000 (roughly) over the course of three years for living alone isn't that bad. Bills are less of a hassle than a bad roommate.

I took out the full loan amount minus my scholarship. Assuming I land a summer job in Atlanta that doesn't pay, I'll be happy I did.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:10 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Thank you for asking this question. Any students (or Dean Rosenzweig, as he is kind enough to indulge us posters on occasions) able to elaborate on this? I plan on only needing about 12k in living expenses for Tallahassee and Gainseville so I am very interested a reason for this discrepancy.
FWIW I'm paying 275 for a house right now (30 bucks cheaper than I paid when I was in Tallahassee) and buy groceries at very regular prices. The COL is an egregious overestimate on the side of caution.

Edit: I also live 4 miles away from the school too, so it's a trade-off.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 pm

if you want a big city, atlanta is the best bargain out there. i don't understand that figure at all. yes, there are bars where you can't get a beer for <$5, and it annoys small town people like me. but apart from that, the food is cheap, the gas is moderate, the utilities are standard, and the housing is WAY cheaper than cities of comparable size in the northeast or out west.

Emory_Rob

New

Post by Emory_Rob » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:59 am

Hi folks - just a note, I'm taking questions in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p3959491

If you've got questions that you'd like to get a direct answer on, please post them there. Of course, I see some of our current students have been chiming in here too, and they're giving you the straight dope.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:30 am

Anyone have any stats on Emory OCI from this past fall? Was it really that bad?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”