Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FGCUguy123

Re: Emory 2011

Postby FGCUguy123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm

gotcha wrote:
ELS2010 wrote:
samilabuena wrote:Emory was very fratty. People seemed really nice and friendly, but it was just a super up-tight, stuffy, and white, southern good ole boys feel. That being said, I live in Boulder now. Emory is not for me.

Wow. Having recently spent three years there, your perception could not be more wrong. MY classmates were remarkably laid-back and open, and as I understand it the school takes great pains to maintain its status as having the most diverse student body of the upper-echelon law schools.

I'm not even sure what "fratty" means exactly, but I wouldn't ever use that word to describe ELS. (My undergrad could definitely be described as "fratty," but Emory? I suppose there are frats somewhere on campus but I never particularly noticed them.) Other than the occasional t-shirt leftover from undergrad, I don't recall ever seeing law students sporting any Greek gear, either.

I don't think they were referring to occurrences of frat specific behavior, but more the feel from the current students. I got the same feeling from the school as alcohol was one of the main topics, up there with employment. At the end of the day, these are all top students from around the country, and I think I will enjoy a relaxed campus that is still competitive.

Oh, I think I am starting to understand what people mean by "fratty." I think that ELS was trying to establish a sense of a close-knit community (which is being equivocated to the certain familial practices of a fraternity). I am not saying that this is not the case...in fact, if this close-knit feeling is what you mean by "fratty," then I completely agree that ELS is fratty. I think that this close-knit mentality is wonderful, however. Especially in a tough legal market, one must understand the importance of having a sense of community.

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

FGCUguy123 wrote:Oh, I think I am starting to understand what people mean by "fratty." I think that ELS was trying to establish a sense of a close-knit community (which is being equivocated to the certain familial practices of a fraternity). I am not saying that this is not the case...in fact, if this close-knit feeling is what you mean by "fratty," then I completely agree that ELS is fratty. I think that this close-knit mentality is wonderful, however. Especially in a tough legal market, one must understand the importance of having a sense of community.

I am not using it derogatorily. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke to at ELS during asw. However, a few of the people that I did speak with, definitely gave off a "I'm going to get shitfaced and wear stupid fucking croakies" vibe. Which could turn the super frat-haters off.

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Ah, now that you mention the multiple alcohol/bar review references, I can see how one could have that 'fratty' impression. I was at all the Fri/Sat admissions events and I remember thinking that there were way too many beer references lol. It's really not a fratty atmosphere at all though. There are so many different interests and activities going on any given day that there's no one social group or preference dominating. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions abt life at Emory.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:22 pm

I withdrew last night. GL everyone.

FGCUguy123

Postby FGCUguy123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:59 pm

gotcha wrote:
FGCUguy123 wrote:Oh, I think I am starting to understand what people mean by "fratty." I think that ELS was trying to establish a sense of a close-knit community (which is being equivocated to the certain familial practices of a fraternity). I am not saying that this is not the case...in fact, if this close-knit feeling is what you mean by "fratty," then I completely agree that ELS is fratty. I think that this close-knit mentality is wonderful, however. Especially in a tough legal market, one must understand the importance of having a sense of community.

I am not using it derogatorily. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke to at ELS during asw. However, a few of the people that I did speak with, definitely gave off a "I'm going to get shitfaced and wear stupid fucking croakies" vibe. Which could turn the super frat-haters off.

Yeah I know you weren't, I was trying to understand the "fratty" concept a little more. I totally had to look up what a "croakie" was haha. shows how much I know.

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:40 pm

FGCUguy123 wrote:
gotcha wrote:

Yeah I know you weren't, I was trying to understand the "fratty" concept a little more. I totally had to look up what a "croakie" was haha. shows how much I know.

hah.

All in all though, I really think that I am going to enjoy my choice of attending ELS.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:44 pm

same here

massattack

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:01 pm

I think I'm coming to Emory!!

ASW was awesome! I think I understand the "fratty" concept but hey....you are in the south, after all.

That being said, it wasn't too overwhelming and, even further, it wasn't unlike many schools I've visited in the south (or in general, for that matter).

UM, for example, helped sell the school by explaining that free beer is available to Law Students every Thursday.
I really liked the work hard/play hard mentality... it got me through UG famously. :mrgreen:

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Sending LOCI tonight. #fingerscrossed 8)

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:29 pm

I feel the need to apologize for my earlier comments.

What I should have said was, Emory seems like a very, very good education and the atmosphere is one that many people would enjoy. But it's not for me.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:32 pm

good luck capitalist

FGCUguy123

Postby FGCUguy123 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 pm

samilabuena wrote:I feel the need to apologize for my earlier comments.

What I should have said was, Emory seems like a very, very good education and the atmosphere is one that many people would enjoy. But it's not for me.

What did you decide on? If you don't mind me asking.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 pm

So excited! Is anyone moving there earlier in the summer? I'm moving June 4th and I can't wait to explore the city before classes start!

massattack

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:So excited! Is anyone moving there earlier in the summer? I'm moving June 4th and I can't wait to explore the city before classes start!

Ill be there around early August...

IgnatiusJ

Postby IgnatiusJ » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm in the same boat. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my earlier comments or what not. Being from Atlanta and having lived there for a long time, I know Emory provides a great legal education. That was never in question. In fact, I was really hoping I would enjoy Emory more than I did because going back to live in Atlanta long term has always been a goal, but certain things just struck me the wrong way and made me think it wouldn't be a good fit for me. So it goes.

spets

Postby spets » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:So excited! Is anyone moving there earlier in the summer? I'm moving June 4th and I can't wait to explore the city before classes start!

Nice, what apartment complex did you decide on?

massattack

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:47 pm

IgnatiusJ wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I didn't mean to offend anyone with my earlier comments or what not. Being from Atlanta and having lived there for a long time, I know Emory provides a great legal education. That was never in question. In fact, I was really hoping I would enjoy Emory more than I did because going back to live in Atlanta long term has always been a goal, but certain things just struck me the wrong way and made me think it wouldn't be a good fit for me. So it goes.

No need to apologize, finding a good fit for you is the name of the game. I chose Emory for a few reasons:

I got an extremely good scholarship
I love ATL
I loved the atmosphere and people

Nobody needs to apologize for not liking a school because it didn't feel like the right fit. I felt the same way when I visited UF and I have a full ride there. This is an exciting time in our lives and we should be grateful that we can make these decisions.

massattack

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 pm

OH...before I forget!

where is everyone planning on living???

I'm looking at Clairmont Reserve, they have nice appts and a shuttle that takes you to the law school.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 pm

spets wrote:

Highland Lake.. Its by a shuttle stop and walking distance (at least for me since i'm used to walking everywhere in dc!) Its really dog friendly and has a dog park if anyone is looking for that!

massattack

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:02 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:
spets wrote:

Highland Lake.. Its by a shuttle stop and walking distance (at least for me since i'm used to walking everywhere in dc!) Its really dog friendly and has a dog park if anyone is looking for that!

I saw those. They were really nice. What kind of dog do you have?

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 pm

massattack wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:
spets wrote:

I saw those. They were really nice. What kind of dog do you have?

40 lb beagle mix... and I have no clue what he is mixed with but he is cute! haha

massattack

Postby massattack » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:29 pm

40 lb beagle mix... and I have no clue what he is mixed with but he is cute! haha[/quote]

Haha sounds cute...I want a puggle
:( I'm just afraid ill be too busy

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:02 pm

massattack wrote:40 lb beagle mix... and I have no clue what he is mixed with but he is cute! haha

Haha sounds cute...I want a puggle
:( I'm just afraid ill be too busy[/quote]

Yeah I have a boyfriend who will be taking care of the dog so that definitely helps... If you could get a dog that is a little older though I think i'd be okay.. or maybe wait til 2L for a puppy

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:20 pm

drummerboy wrote:good luck capitalist

Thanks!

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:Yeah I have a boyfriend who will be taking care of the dog so that definitely helps... If you could get a dog that is a little older though I think i'd be okay.. or maybe wait til 2L for a puppy

Agreed. I have a three year old dog that I'll be bringing with me. Are the apartments spacious at Highland Lakes?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”