Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Withdrew also, despite loving the Admitted Students' Weekend. My favorite moments were in the classroom when one girl took out her computer to take notes and a mother (who was a lawyer) kept chiming in to answer the professor's questions.

onepass
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby onepass » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Just withdrew and freed up a smidgen of merit money for others!

Good luck to everyone as you make your decisions!

User avatar
samilabuena
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby samilabuena » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Withdrew also, despite loving the Admitted Students' Weekend. My favorite moments were in the classroom when one girl took out her computer to take notes and a mother (who was a lawyer) kept chiming in to answer the professor's questions.


Gak! I know that was awesome.

But disagree on loving the weekend. By the end of the day I was decidedly a NO to Emory. Withdraw.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby crit_racer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 pm

samilabuena wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:Withdrew also, despite loving the Admitted Students' Weekend. My favorite moments were in the classroom when one girl took out her computer to take notes and a mother (who was a lawyer) kept chiming in to answer the professor's questions.


Gak! I know that was awesome.

But disagree on loving the weekend. By the end of the day I was decidedly a NO to Emory. Withdraw.


jw, what turned you off?

btw, I think I must have been in the same class as you two.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:28 pm

crit_racer wrote:jw, what turned you off?


$$$$, frat-tasticness

crit_racer wrote:btw, I think I must have been in the same class as you two.


if your last name is in the first 1/3, then yup, you likely were. Can't imagine two separate occurrences of deliciously awesome eye roll deservers

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby crit_racer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:38 pm

yeahhhh...Emory was a little fratty and conservative seeming for my taste, but w/e. I really liked ATL, tho, and I figure there has to be SOME progressive types/intellectuals at any good law school, so hopefully I can find some like-minded people.

I just wish it wasn't such a young school.

EDIT: and, yup, we were in the same class. Some good lulz. Did you like that prof? I thought he was awesome, funny, and (obviously) energetic. Definitely could keep my attention!

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby forty-two » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:57 pm

crit_racer wrote:yeahhhh...Emory was a little fratty and conservative seeming for my taste, but w/e. I really liked ATL, tho, and I figure there has to be SOME progressive types/intellectuals at any good law school, so hopefully I can find some like-minded people.

I just wish it wasn't such a young school.

Yeah, the frattyness was a little overwhelming for me at first, but you're right, there really are all kinds of people here. I was able to find a few groups of friends who aren't into that ish pretty easily. Also, ATL is amazing. I'm really looking forward to exploring it more this summer.

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby IgnatiusJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

crit_racer wrote:yeahhhh...Emory was a little fratty and conservative seeming for my taste, but w/e. I really liked ATL, tho, and I figure there has to be SOME progressive types/intellectuals at any good law school, so hopefully I can find some like-minded people.

I just wish it wasn't such a young school.

EDIT: and, yup, we were in the same class. Some good lulz. Did you like that prof? I thought he was awesome, funny, and (obviously) energetic. Definitely could keep my attention!


I was in that same class too with Shapiro(?) I think. He was pretty awesome (though that girl and her mom were ridiculous. dude you're a lawyer already, knock it off), but I was less impressed with some of the other professors I spoke to.

I'm just wrestling with a desire to live in Atlanta (I grew up there, family, connections, etc.) versus my better visits at some other law schools. Emory just seemed soaked in old money atlanta and some of the kids i spoke to just ate that shit up. Anyway, I don't mean to knock too hard on Emory, I did enjoy some of it, I just think I would have a better fit elsewhere, probably UT. Where are other people considering if they don't choose Emory?

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby crit_racer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

UT is an incredible law school. As an Austin native, I can testify to the fact that Austin is more of a...progressive city. I think I know more people who get their eggs from their own hens (or from a neighbor's) than at the grocery store haha.

I'm trying to decide between Emory and WUSTL at this point. I like WUSTL as a school a bit more, but I really don't want to live in the midwest. Decisions, decisions...

Also, I'm on more than a few waitlists

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby FGCUguy123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:33 pm

forty-two wrote:
crit_racer wrote:yeahhhh...Emory was a little fratty and conservative seeming for my taste, but w/e. I really liked ATL, tho, and I figure there has to be SOME progressive types/intellectuals at any good law school, so hopefully I can find some like-minded people.

I just wish it wasn't such a young school.

Yeah, the frattyness was a little overwhelming for me at first, but you're right, there really are all kinds of people here. I was able to find a few groups of friends who aren't into that ish pretty easily. Also, ATL is amazing. I'm really looking forward to exploring it more this summer.


Can you describe, specifically, what you mean by "fratty." I think I have an idea of what you are talking about but some clarification would be appreciated.

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby dcgirl1013 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 pm

I actually found Emory to be a pretty liberal school (especially for the south), and the students I talked to commented on what a liberal student body it is... and the Decatur area is a very progressive/alternative area of Atlanta

adamtx11
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby adamtx11 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:41 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:I actually found Emory to be a pretty liberal school (especially for the south), and the students I talked to commented on what a liberal student body it is... and the Decatur area is a very progressive/alternative area of Atlanta


+1

From what I've seen, I'd say that Emory has a considerably progressive student body. The fact that the law school draws students from all over the country naturally creates diversity and many different viewpoints, too.

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby FGCUguy123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:56 pm

adamtx11 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:I actually found Emory to be a pretty liberal school (especially for the south), and the students I talked to commented on what a liberal student body it is... and the Decatur area is a very progressive/alternative area of Atlanta


+1

From what I've seen, I'd say that Emory has a considerably progressive student body. The fact that the law school draws students from all over the country naturally creates diversity and many different viewpoints, too.


+2

that's exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I was surprised just HOW liberal of a place it was. For example, Little 5 Points, which is essentially in the same area, reminded me of a Southern version of Greenwich Village. It was very Bohemian (quite the contrary to the normal perception of the South). The student body was extraordinarily diverse (way more then I thought it would be). And, as for the 'old money' concept, I have to disagree, IMO, based off of other schools I've visited (where there was TRUE old money). It comes down to fit. The Dean made that clear. Go to a school that YOU fit best in. I, personally (and having visited many other schools), thought I fit in well there. I got into higher ranked schools, yet I didn't feel comfortable there. The people were great and I met some students from all over the country. Anyone who goes to Emory will, without a doubt in my mind, receive a top-notch legal education that will be an invaluable asset to them for the rest of their lives. That is the same with any other school in that range, which brings me to my previous point: the real determination is whether or not YOU fit in best there.

User avatar
samilabuena
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby samilabuena » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I really liked Atlanta and there do seem to be quite a bit of progressive and liberal people in the area (also, not sure if it was just that my hosts were homosexual, but I got a MAJOR gay vibe pretty much everywhere in town).

Emory was very fratty. People seemed really nice and friendly, but it was just a super up-tight, stuffy, and white, southern good ole boys feel. That being said, I live in Boulder now. Emory is not for me.

So now the question becomes... stay in Boulder or go to Tulane?

tguk53
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tguk53 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Just withdrew with some merit aid! Good luck to all of you!

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ze2151 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm

there will be a chunk of your class you could pigeonhole as "good ol' boy" southern, but 1) you're in the south, that's somewhat to be expected, and 2) it's not really progressive/liberal to type-cast people before getting to know who they really are.

as a city, atlanta is tremendously progressive, and i come from the hyper-evolved northeast. it feels like a northeastern city. you can find the neighborhood that fits you. others mentioned L5P, which is a riot. highlands, Candler Park is awesome, Decatur is probably my favorite spot. All very close to the school.

you may get a young vibe at emory but again, don't dismiss the youngsters out of hand. some will surprise you with their erudition and maturity. and i'm 26 and married and consistently feel that this school tailors very well to a slightly more seasoned student. pm for specific questions.

nontrad- sorry to hear you're not coming!

and did anyone have AHDIEH??? he is the best.

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby FGCUguy123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

ze2151 wrote:there will be a chunk of your class you could pigeonhole as "good ol' boy" southern, but 1) you're in the south, that's somewhat to be expected, and 2) it's not really progressive/liberal to type-cast people before getting to know who they really are.

as a city, atlanta is tremendously progressive, and i come from the hyper-evolved northeast. it feels like a northeastern city. you can find the neighborhood that fits you. others mentioned L5P, which is a riot. highlands, Candler Park is awesome, Decatur is probably my favorite spot. All very close to the school.

you may get a young vibe at emory but again, don't dismiss the youngsters out of hand. some will surprise you with their erudition and maturity. and i'm 26 and married and consistently feel that this school tailors very well to a slightly more seasoned student.

and did anyone have AHDIEH??? he is the best.


I did! He was awesome. Smart and funny, he reminded of my UG philosophy professor.

spets
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby spets » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Did anyone else attend the Pre-Visiting Day events on Friday? It was definitely a more intimate experience and I was personally more impressed with Emory's presentation on that day than on Saturday.

gotcha
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby gotcha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm

spets wrote:Did anyone else attend the Pre-Visiting Day events on Friday? It was definitely a more intimate experience and I was personally more impressed with Emory's presentation on that day than on Saturday.


Yeah, it was nice. Got a chance to speak with good mix of current students as well as Dean Rosenzweig. Loved it, will be attending.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 pm

ze2151 wrote:nontrad- sorry to hear you're not coming!


Thanks ze...been a little sad today, but had to listen to my head rather than my heart. Will always have a soft spot for Emory, though!

gotcha
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby gotcha » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:
ze2151 wrote:nontrad- sorry to hear you're not coming!


Thanks ze...been a little sad today, but had to listen to my head rather than my heart. Will always have a soft spot for Emory, though!


Do you work at the CDC? If so, too bad I won't be seeing you at Emory next year... enjoy GSU.

drummerboy
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby drummerboy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:56 pm

thoroughly a great experience. deposit submitted on saturday. cant wait to attend

aph4law
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby aph4law » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I came down to Atlanta from LA and I didn't expect to fall in love with the city, but after spending 5 days there I really liked it. I was then worried that Emory would screw up my vision, but it just made it better. I thought the school was great, the people are awesome, and I can definitely see myself living in Atlanta and attending Emory Law. As of now I'm certainly attending, unless I get off the wait list at MI.

ELS2010
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ELS2010 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 am

samilabuena wrote:Emory was very fratty. People seemed really nice and friendly, but it was just a super up-tight, stuffy, and white, southern good ole boys feel. That being said, I live in Boulder now. Emory is not for me.


Wow. Having recently spent three years there, your perception could not be more wrong. MY classmates were remarkably laid-back and open, and as I understand it the school takes great pains to maintain its status as having the most diverse student body of the upper-echelon law schools.

I'm not even sure what "fratty" means exactly, but I wouldn't ever use that word to describe ELS. (My undergrad could definitely be described as "fratty," but Emory? I suppose there are frats somewhere on campus but I never particularly noticed them.) Other than the occasional t-shirt leftover from undergrad, I don't recall ever seeing law students sporting any Greek gear, either.

gotcha
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby gotcha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 pm

ELS2010 wrote:
samilabuena wrote:Emory was very fratty. People seemed really nice and friendly, but it was just a super up-tight, stuffy, and white, southern good ole boys feel. That being said, I live in Boulder now. Emory is not for me.


Wow. Having recently spent three years there, your perception could not be more wrong. MY classmates were remarkably laid-back and open, and as I understand it the school takes great pains to maintain its status as having the most diverse student body of the upper-echelon law schools.

I'm not even sure what "fratty" means exactly, but I wouldn't ever use that word to describe ELS. (My undergrad could definitely be described as "fratty," but Emory? I suppose there are frats somewhere on campus but I never particularly noticed them.) Other than the occasional t-shirt leftover from undergrad, I don't recall ever seeing law students sporting any Greek gear, either.


I don't think they were referring to occurrences of frat specific behavior, but more the feel from the current students. I got the same feeling from the school as alcohol was one of the main topics, up there with employment. At the end of the day, these are all top students from around the country, and I think I will enjoy a relaxed campus that is still competitive.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, call-me-bubbles, champagnepapi, Houzy, JosefK, Nickel94 and 17 guests