Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tropicalpeach

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tropicalpeach » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Does anyone know if there is ANY chance of $$ if admitted off the waitlist?

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 pm

gotcha wrote:If we are staying at the conference center or Emory Inn, are they going to have a shuttle running for us?

I do not know if there will be a shuttle just for that. However several of the Emory shuttles stop at ECCH & the Inn, including the CCTMA which also stops in front of the law school. Concierge should be able to give you further info.

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 pm

p.s. For those who were wondering, "smart casual" is NOT business casual. You definitely do not need to be dressed up on Friday evening. It's supposed to be 81 degrees anyway, so you'll be miserable in any sort of coat/jacket.

spets wrote:
Smart casual =/= business casual in my opinion based on Dean Rosenzweig's e-mail. It seems to be more, "Don't look like you came in off the streets or just got out of the gym, but otherwise dress casually."

Bolded is correct, imo.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

jamaicanjynx wrote:
gotcha wrote:If we are staying at the conference center or Emory Inn, are they going to have a shuttle running for us?

I do not know if there will be a shuttle just for that. However several of the Emory shuttles stop at ECCH & the Inn, including the CCTMA which also stops in front of the law school. Concierge should be able to give you further info.

Also, it's really not a bad walk, especially when it's this nice outside. It should only take 10 or 15 minutes to get to the law school if you do decide to walk.

Anyway, I hope you all have a great weekend!!

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:Just got back from the DC Admitted Students Reception and everything was great! I met some really great alumni who exchanged contact information with me and they all seemed really enthusiastic about Emory (even the Class of '09ers that were there!)

Good to hear. I'm getting really excited for this weekend.

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 am

withdrawn, good luck everyone!
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david787

Postby david787 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:03 am

tropicalpeach wrote:Does anyone know if there is ANY chance of $$ if admitted off the waitlist?

They told me no, but that may be specific to my application.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Can't make ASW this weekend. Have fun for me, everyone! :(

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:Just got back from the DC Admitted Students Reception and everything was great! I met some really great alumni who exchanged contact information with me and they all seemed really enthusiastic about Emory (even the Class of '09ers that were there!)

Hey, that's really good to hear since I am interested in interning/working in DC. How did the alumni seem about getting employment from Emory to DC? When I visited Emory the career services people said that though their network in DC is not as large as theirs in NY (and obviously Atlanta), there are quite a few older alumni looking to hire students from Emory. However, after I did a quick search of firms in DC and saw that only one does OCI at Emory I'm a little concerned...not to put down other schools, but some of these firms visit schools that are closer to DC than Emory but almost in the third tier. (I had a little panic like oh no should I have gone for the lower ranked school I wasn't as enthusiastic about just b/c it's closer to DC/NY? Ah..) I'm also not very knowledgeable about how successful students are at getting internships with places that do not participate in OCI at your school (other than you should get stellar grades), so really any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

ELS2010

Postby ELS2010 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:10 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:

Hey, that's really good to hear since I am interested in interning/working in DC. How did the alumni seem about getting employment from Emory to DC? When I visited Emory the career services people said that though their network in DC is not as large as theirs in NY (and obviously Atlanta), there are quite a few older alumni looking to hire students from Emory. However, after I did a quick search of firms in DC and saw that only one does OCI at Emory I'm a little concerned...not to put down other schools, but some of these firms visit schools that are closer to DC than Emory but almost in the third tier. (I had a little panic like oh no should I have gone for the lower ranked school I wasn't as enthusiastic about just b/c it's closer to DC/NY? Ah..) I'm also not very knowledgeable about how successful students are at getting internships with places that do not participate in OCI at your school (other than you should get stellar grades), so really any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Emory has an Emory-only job fair in DC (and New York, and I think a couple of other places) which are well-attended. If you want to go to DC, you submit to firms at the DC job fair. If you want to go to New York, you submit to the NY job fair. If you don't want to go to those places, you just submit to regular OCI. So no, there aren't a ton of New York firms at OCI - it's because they're all the the Emory interview program in New York.

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

ELS2010 wrote:Emory has an Emory-only job fair in DC (and New York, and I think a couple of other places) which are well-attended. If you want to go to DC, you submit to firms at the DC job fair. If you want to go to New York, you submit to the NY job fair. If you don't want to go to those places, you just submit to regular OCI. So no, there aren't a ton of New York firms at OCI - it's because they're all the the Emory interview program in New York.

I see, and do these interview programs generally place a good amount of Emory students?

gobucks101

Postby gobucks101 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:35 pm

After Follies we have a bar review in Highlands. Set for Diesel but expect it to end at El Bar by end of night. Tomorrow's bar review is also set for Highlands. With finals coming up the turnout might not be great but should still be able to see law students in action

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm

what did everyone think of ASW? I liked Emory but loved ATL. Could definitely see myself living there.

FGCUguy123

Postby FGCUguy123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:37 pm

crit_racer wrote:what did everyone think of ASW? I liked Emory but loved ATL. Could definitely see myself living there.

I thought it was great. The professors were awesome and the students seemed very bright and ambitious. Atlanta is amazing; an ideal place to spend the next three years.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Superb. Cant wait to start in the Fall. Definitely the right choice for school, student body, and location. A winner!!!!!!
The Deans and teaching staff were world class. Dont let the rankings dissuade you. It will be upward and onward from now on. Just wait and see.

gfunkera86

Postby gfunkera86 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Is anyone considering a JD/MBA? Did they talk about the joint degree at all at the ASD?

spets

Postby spets » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 pm

At one point during the mock class, I looked around and saw a couple of people taking notes.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:14 pm

spets wrote:At one point during the mock class, I looked around and saw a couple of people taking notes.

lol biglaw bound for sure :lol:

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:33 pm

lol this one kid in my mock class volunteered first to talk about our assigned case. He pronounced Justice Scalia's name as "Scale-ya" and I just started laughing to myself about this ignorant wannabe gunner. But yeah, I deposited at Emory. I really dug the vibe there...it seemed much more vibrant and energetic than the other school I visited this week (WUSTL).

FGCUguy123

Postby FGCUguy123 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Definitely some gunner possibilities. But hey, that's law school. While there were some pre-gunners...I got along great with most of the other admitted students. We all went to the bars after the ASD and we let the city show us what it had to offer.....

+1 Atlanta.

BTW Darkhorse bar is awesome and so is Little 5 Points (did anyone else get a chance to go?)

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:58 am

I didn't go out w/ any of the other admitted students b/c i had family/friend obligations, but Little 5 Points is really cool. I like that whole neighborhood a lot.

lokist86

Postby lokist86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 am

Did anyone ask questions about employment prospective and/or recruiting improvements that the school might implement? I couldn't make it to ASW, so any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

FGCUguy123

Postby FGCUguy123 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:58 pm

lokist86 wrote:Did anyone ask questions about employment prospective and/or recruiting improvements that the school might implement? I couldn't make it to ASW, so any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah. They showed us 9-month after graduation stats (which I haven't seen before). These basically showed that almost 100% of the 2010 grads were employed 9 months after graduation. Obviously, this stat is unavailable for the 2011 class, however, they were extremely serious about doing whatever it takes to help those students get employment. Also, they were extremely adamant on raising the ranking. They understand that the ranking is a quantitative measure of a qualitative system and, as such, it is flawed. However, they understand that the rankings ARE important to prospective students (at one point in his speech, the Dean explained that even if the list of schools were thrown arbitrarily down some stairs, SOMEONE would still care what order they fell). Let's face it, Emory University is such a prestigious institution that it's alumni, deans, and (more specifically) it's benefactors are not going to tolerate a continuation of decline in rank. And, while this is a systemic problem that is affecting the legal market as a whole, I still got a great feeling from this weekend that the school is absolutely taking this matter seriously and that relations with small/med-sized firms AND biglaw firms in Chicago, NY, etc are being nurtured. There is no doubt in my mind that the legal landscape, by the time we graduate, will be completely different... for the better. This ASW impressed me so much, I gave them my deposit without one fear that it wasn't the right decision (and trust me, I had other offers). Atlanta is a vibrant metropolis with opportunities at your fingertips, you just have to be proactive. This isn't the 1990's, jobs aren't thrown at lawyers anymore (with exceptions to HYS yet, even then, I've heard a few stories of some HLS grads who can't find jobs...IN BOSTON!)
There will always be people that simply either A) weren't cut out for law or B) are not good at marketing themselves. The problem is, it is harder to market yourself in ATL's legal economy, which is why Emory is establishing those relationships.

Sorry you couldn't come this weekend, it really was great. I recommend visiting if you have the chance.

IgnatiusJ

Postby IgnatiusJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

lokist86 wrote:Did anyone ask questions about employment prospective and/or recruiting improvements that the school might implement? I couldn't make it to ASW, so any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

My group's small discussion with a professor was mostly centered around the future employment prospects/falling ranking in the USNews, which kind of disappointed me. Once we got him started on the topic, the prof seemed to bristle at the notion that Emory needed to make any improvements and dismissed the falling ranking as complete and total nonsense. I agree for the most part that making rankings the overriding concern in a law school decision is pretty obtuse, but I think the school could have handled the concerns/questions a little better. Basically, I thought the message from most that I talked to was that Emory is fine, changes aren't needed, they just got screwed on the latest rankings. That was just the impression I got, and others certainly could have gotten different feedback. I was hoping for a little more out of Emory this weekend, especially after I was so impressed with Texas the week before.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Just withdrew, good luck to all of you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”