Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:17 am

krad wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Ding. 167/3.5

99% 100% certain it's due to my TLS account. I don't make an effort to hide my real identity; if they don't like who I am on here then I wouldn't want to be a part of that anyway.

:shock:

Seconded on the :shock:

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:18 am

I do not like the drop to 30 one bit. Hard to justify Emory ~60k from Emory when IU is throwing 120K.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 am

The paranoia is starting to sink in, since Deans talk and I don't want to end up like that guy who had all his T14 offers revoked over not withdrawing other apps after an ED admit.
Worst case scenario and that does happen - I've been leaning towards a career path change to Software engineering anyway :)
But I hope that isn't the case... I don't think I've said anything too awful in here. Maybe it wasn't a 'great' idea to post the 65% employment rate in this thread. Live and learn.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:38 am

lol don't be paranoid. You don't even know for sure that's the reason you got dinged. And even if it is, the likelihood of Dean R talking to other deans about it is probably pretty slim. The likelihood of them caring is even slimmer.

The ED fiasco w/ that one poster was a MUCH bigger deal...he was blatantly violating a contractual obligation. You just did a little bit of gossiping (nothing worse than the rest of us have done).

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:47 am

bigredforlaw wrote:
This is class of 2008 data: see the actual website

So please, don't feel presently disconcerted with what is now pretty much historical data.

When you say actual website do you mean the US News website? It seems like they changed the employment formula, as the Dean stated. From the US News website:

In the past, new J.D.s counted as employed at graduation and at nine months out if they were working full or part time in a legal or non-legal job or pursuing additional graduate school education after their J.D.; so did 25 percent of those whose status was "unknown." Now, both the at graduation and nine months after employment rates are figured solely based on the number of grads working at that point in time full or part time in a legal or non-legal job divided by the total number of J.D. graduates. Also, those who are not seeking employment are now counted in the calculation as part of the total number of J.D. graduates; previously, they were excluded from the size of the graduating class and the calculation.

Is it me or does counting those who are not seeking employment contradict the definition of "unemployed"? I think this change in the formula had a significant impact on the statistics, but of course I am realistic and know that employment remains a much bigger challenge now than it was before 2009. This being said, I think Emory remains a really fine school and I can't wait to visit as a prospective student...annnd hope I get in. =)

That's a fair argument, and sometimes life gets over. People get married, publish a novel, etc.

But why does this influence Emory more than other schools? Why would they drop so profoundly? 8 spots is pretty severe.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 pm

EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Hi TLSers - this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Emory Law. I appreciate your indulging my posting from time-to-time. With the U.S. News & World Report graduate school rankings upon us, I thought it may be helpful to post here in addition to an email I am planning to send to many of our applicants tomorrow with more information.

Emory’s move in the rankings may be directly attributed to a change in the methodology U.S. News uses to calculate employment statistics. We are analyzing that now. What I can assure you is that we have made, and continue to make, improvements in our overall strategy for assisting our students and recent graduates in their individual job searches, regardless of their career interests. We remain committed to ensuring all our graduates successfully enter the practice of law prepared to make an immediate impact.

Most importantly, for those looking into joining our community, I encourage you to spend time visiting us and seeing our school in action. There is nothing more satisfying in the admission office than putting faces to the applications and answering your questions in person. We have scheduled extra tours in March to make it easy to visit (http://www.law.emory.edu/visit), and our annual visiting day on April 9th is going to be great.

I hope to see you soon as you determine which community can be most supportive in helping you pursue your goals. I also ask that you contact me directly at admission(a)law.emory.edu so that we can provide you the most accurate answers to your questions as you make such important life decisions.

See you soon, and my best for a successful admission process.

Seemingly no other school was affected by this change in methodology?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:27 pm

rman1201 wrote:Ding. 167/3.5

99% 100% certain it's due to my TLS account. I don't make an effort to hide my real identity; if they don't like who I am on here then I wouldn't want to be a part of that anyway.

I think you are being overly paranoid, but who knows. If you really think this is the case, why don't you call and ask to speak with the dean of admissions. I'm sure they'd be happy to go over your application with you and explain what you can improve on.

happypp43

Postby happypp43 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:34 pm

username99 wrote:
EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Hi TLSers - this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Emory Law. I appreciate your indulging my posting from time-to-time. With the U.S. News & World Report graduate school rankings upon us, I thought it may be helpful to post here in addition to an email I am planning to send to many of our applicants tomorrow with more information.

Emory’s move in the rankings may be directly attributed to a change in the methodology U.S. News uses to calculate employment statistics. We are analyzing that now. What I can assure you is that we have made, and continue to make, improvements in our overall strategy for assisting our students and recent graduates in their individual job searches, regardless of their career interests. We remain committed to ensuring all our graduates successfully enter the practice of law prepared to make an immediate impact.

Most importantly, for those looking into joining our community, I encourage you to spend time visiting us and seeing our school in action. There is nothing more satisfying in the
admission office than putting faces to the applications and answering your questions in person. We have scheduled extra tours in March to make it easy to visit (http://www.law.emory.edu/visit), and our annual visiting day on April 9th is going to be great.

I hope to see you soon as you determine which community can be most supportive in helping you pursue your goals. I also ask that you contact me directly at admission(a)law.emory.edu so that we can provide you the most accurate answers to your questions as you make such important life decisions.

See you soon, and my best for a successful admission process.

Seemingly no other school was affected by this change in methodology?

+1
This explanation is not sufficiently convincing. I guess the admission office (or the whole law school) is in crisis mode right now...
Looking forward to Dean R's email. But really, just like an addendum on low LSAT/GPA, finding out a suitable excuse for this siginificant drop in ranking will be hard.

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Truth be told, we're lucky this happened now and not a month from now when we had withdrawn from other schools.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Meh. I'll still go if they throw me an additional 30k in merit aid :). They should permit scholly negotiation now that they are in crisis mode.

mcnabb5

Postby mcnabb5 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 pm

rman1201 wrote:65.5% Employed at Graduation :shock:

The other 34.5% clerked.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

rman1201 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:lol don't be paranoid. You don't even know for sure that's the reason you got dinged. And even if it is, the likelihood of Dean R talking to other deans about it is probably pretty slim. The likelihood of them caring is even slimmer.

The ED fiasco w/ that one poster was a MUCH bigger deal...he was blatantly violating a contractual obligation. You just did a little bit of gossiping (nothing worse than the rest of us have done).

But no one with my numbers has ever been dinged on LSN (aside from LSAT retakers) :shock:. And its not even a WL, just a flat out rejection - so somethings up. And there isn't something glaringly wrong with my app since I was WL at Cornell and Accepted at BU, UMN (with $$), etc.
TBF, I can see how I can be viewed as an idiot for having the same TLS name as my email I applied with. It's not that I never realized it could be used against me, I just never really cared. As I've stated, my logic is to keep things transparent - if a school would actually use my internet identity against me then it's not the kind of school I'd want to be a part of anyway.
And I'm guessing I'm going to be 'that guy' from this cycle, with the cycle future generations of TLSers can make fun of. My response? Meh.

Yeaaaa... I'm pretty sure with as active of a staff that Emory has on TLS (I mean, the Dean posted a message on this thread), you were easily identified and singled out, especially if your 'tar name matches your e-mail. Uhh, I'm sure that you'll be used as a case study and a cautionary note to TLSers about anonymity.

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:lol don't be paranoid. You don't even know for sure that's the reason you got dinged. And even if it is, the likelihood of Dean R talking to other deans about it is probably pretty slim. The likelihood of them caring is even slimmer.

But no one with my numbers has ever been dinged on LSN (aside from LSAT retakers) :shock:. And its not even a WL, just a flat out rejection - so somethings up. And there isn't something glaringly wrong with my app since I was WL at Cornell and Accepted at BU, UMN (with $$), etc.
TBF, I can see how I can be viewed as an idiot for having the same TLS name as my email I applied with. It's not that I never realized it could be used against me, I just never really cared. As I've stated, my logic is to keep things transparent - if a school would actually use my internet identity against me then it's not the kind of school I'd want to be a part of anyway.
And I'm guessing I'm going to be 'that guy' from this cycle, with the cycle future generations of TLSers can make fun of. My response? Meh.

Yeaaaa... I'm pretty sure with as active of a staff that Emory has on TLS (I mean, the Dean posted a message on this thread), you were easily identified and singled out, especially if your 'tar name matches your e-mail. Uhh, I'm sure that you'll be used as a case study and a cautionary note to TLSers about anonymity.

I think Emory is getting punished for the "wall of doom" picture. Which IMO, after letting such a thing happen, they deserve it. Emory’s LSAT range in that picture has "idiot" written all over it.

Also, I doubt your TLS account caused your rejection, more likely YP. But who knows?

P.S. can they see your e-mail if you have the box checked saying that you can’t be contacted via e-mail? Is there another way? No right? Right.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm

mcnabb5 wrote:
rman1201 wrote:65.5% Employed at Graduation :shock:

The other 34.5% clerked.

Are clerks not legal jobs.... ? Pretty sure they are..

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 pm

rman1201 wrote:I haven't said anything too dicksish on this forum, but I have said I probably wouldn't attend Emory (ITT I think)... so it's most likely an informed YP

I want to revise my previous statement. You are out of your mind. You really think that the admissions dean of Emory wastes his time sifting through TLS for posts and tries to match handles with email accounts of those who've applied??? You got rejected, and it wasn't YP or because of this thread. Live with it.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:40 pm

JakeL wrote:
rman1201 wrote:I haven't said anything too dicksish on this forum, but I have said I probably wouldn't attend Emory (ITT I think)... so it's most likely an informed YP

I want to revise my previous statement. You are out of your mind. You really think that the admissions dean of Emory wastes his time sifting through TLS for posts and tries to match handles with email accounts of those who've applied??? You got rejected, and it wasn't YP or because of this thread. Live with it.

+1

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 pm

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm

I don't think it's that crazy if this is the same as the e-mail he uses. I would think it highly unlikely for any adcomm to do any real type of investigative work to try and match up TLS handles w/ applications, but something this blatently obvious seems plausible...

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm

JakeL wrote:I want to revise my previous statement. You are out of your mind. You really think that the admissions dean of Emory wastes his time sifting through TLS for posts and tries to match handles with email accounts of those who've applied??? You got rejected, and it wasn't YP or because of this thread. Live with it.

Checking out the EMORY thread that the "Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Emory Law" just posted in shouldn't be described as "sifting through TLS."

idk if it was YP or anything, though it does make me wonder how much schools do look at tls in general

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:59 pm

rman1201 wrote:They don't have to 'sift' through anything. I post here often, and they've seen my email often (as they've even emailed me the rejection). I work with tons of files at my job, but when you see a name enough you recognize it. I'm not defensive or anything, I'm fine with my other school choices - I guess this is more of a caution than anything else. NO ONE with my numbers has been rejected on any data set unless theres a truly unique situation (applied with a lower lsat then retook, or criminal convictions, etc).

Call up the dean and ask then. There are at least 100 other more likely scenarios than some admission staffer singling you out on TLS. They have better things to do.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:01 pm

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:05 pm

rman1201 wrote:
JakeL wrote:
rman1201 wrote:They don't have to 'sift' through anything. I post here often, and they've seen my email often (as they've even emailed me the rejection). I work with tons of files at my job, but when you see a name enough you recognize it. I'm not defensive or anything, I'm fine with my other school choices - I guess this is more of a caution than anything else. NO ONE with my numbers has been rejected on any data set unless theres a truly unique situation (applied with a lower lsat then retook, or criminal convictions, etc).

Call up the dean and ask then. There are at least 100 other more likely scenarios than some admission staffer singling you out on TLS. They have better things to do.

And if my hypothesis is correct (which it probably is - seriously, what else could be on my app thats no good for Emory but apparently good enough for everyone else), then I'll look like an even bigger idiot for calling and saying exactly what someone else on this board told me to say/do.

I'm sure they're looking at this as we speak, laughing at my app saying "Hows that wall of doom looking now?"

sorry. just joined the thread. whats the wall of doom that everyone keeps referring to?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:05 pm

rman1201 wrote:And if my hypothesis is correct (which it probably is - seriously, what else could be on my app thats no good for Emory but apparently good enough for everyone else), then I'll look like an even bigger idiot for calling and saying exactly what someone else on this board told me to say/do.

I'm sure they're looking at this as we speak, laughing at my app saying "Hows that wall of doom looking now?"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”