Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 pm

ran12 wrote:You never know what will happen. Emory isn't sending decisions until Feb and considering how late that is, they'll prob end up losing a lot of higher LSAT's to other schools. Plus, I don't think Emory/Atlanta are as attractive as other schools/markets in their range.

Ehh.. you kinda know what will happen. Unless Emory's median inexplicably drops, there will likely be a wall of doom this year, probably at 166.

I mean, the data from last year says it all:

brokenwindows

Postby brokenwindows » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
ran12 wrote:You never know what will happen. Emory isn't sending decisions until Feb and considering how late that is, they'll prob end up losing a lot of higher LSAT's to other schools. Plus, I don't think Emory/Atlanta are as attractive as other schools/markets in their range.

Ehh.. you kinda know what will happen. Unless Emory's median inexplicably drops, there will likely be a wall of doom this year, probably at 166.

Special flowers and wall of doom! That totally cracked me up!!!

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:10 pm

tttlllsss wrote:

I would like you to know that graph made my day, not just because I got a 166 but due to it's artistic merits as well. So very pragmatic.

hokie

Postby hokie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm

tttlllsss wrote:

:lol:.........THIS.

DrVictorFreeze

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm

How do you know the first batch doesnt come out till february? I thought the first batch usually comes out mid january.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:21 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:How do you know the first batch doesnt come out till february? I thought the first batch usually comes out mid january.

Got an email saying my app was complete and that decisions are mid-Feb to April.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Getting a reply in March/April is tough. I expect to hear back from UF relatively soon (complete late November) and I would love to know if I can add Emory to my law school road trip up to Tallahassee. 2.9x/166 fwiw.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 pm

nvm
Last edited by forty-two on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

EmoryAdmissionDean

Fee Waivers

Postby EmoryAdmissionDean » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:14 am

Hi TLSers - this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the Dean of Admission at Emory Law. I hope your winter break (if you are still in school) was restful. We received snow today in Atlanta, and although the school is closed, our office is working thanks to the beauty of technology and wireless internet! As I posted previously, I appreciate your indulging my posts from time-to-time in response to discussion points.

With the December 2010 LSAT scores released recently, it may prove helpful to shed some light on fee waivers.

First, similar to most law schools, Emory Law utilizes the LSAC's Candidate Referral Service to identify applicants with whom we wish to learn more about. We rely on CRS to help us attract outstanding applicants who may not have investigated Emory Law when thinking about where to apply. And, CRS provides us much more information than simply LSAT score and self-reported GPAs.

Second, EVERY application is reviewed thoroughly. You spent considerable time preparing your submission, and we will give your file a comprehensive reading in return. The notion that an LSAT score below our published median automatically signifies rejection is simply not true. As such, we would never send someone a fee waiver who did not have a legitimate opportunity to matriculate at Emory Law. That would run counter to the fairness in the process that Emory Law strives so hard to maintain.

I will give one example to illustrate how we issue fee waivers. We are very proud of our TI:GER program at Emory Law (http://www.law.emory.edu/tiger). As such, we may decide to encourage biology and chemistry majors to apply and learn about the program as we think there may be a strong match. We utilize fee waivers as part of this process to attract applicants with a science background.

Third, Emory Law does not provide merit-based fee waivers upon request. I know it is frustrating when our office is unable to offer a candidate a fee waiver, and I hope my explanation makes the process more transparent. If the application fee is a deterrent to your applying, we do provide financial fee waivers if LSAC provides you one to take the LSAT exam. We also provide fee waivers to Teach For America participants as part of our relationship with that organization.

If you do receive a fee waiver, I strongly recommend learning about Emory Law a little bit before quickly hitting the submit button at LSAC.org. I cringe when I read a file where the applicant submitted their documents to us 20 minutes after receiving a fee waiver; yet, they referenced a different law school in their application and forgot to answer the Emory-specific questions appropriately. On the other hand, we look highly upon an applicant who received a fee waiver, did a little investigation, learned if there is a match of interest with Emory Law, and then artfully articulates this match somehow in their application.

Finally, my personal plea: Please do not use Law School Numbers as a sole arbiter of where to apply. EmoryRob (who posts in the “Discuss Your Law School” forum) sits next to me in the office, and he produced an actual spreadsheet of LSATs and GPAs from last year’s entering class. It was remarkable to see how much the statistics differed from the website. I hope that we do not lose potential, quality applicants simply because they thought our median LSAT score was our sole decision-making tool. We wait until mid-February to issue decisions because we take a great deal of time looking beyond the LSAT score when reviewing files.

My best for a prosperous New Year. Don’t hesitate to contact us at admission(a)law.emory.edu or stop by for a visit…just not when it is snowing!

JLR

Postby JLR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:41 am

Dean Rosenweig - Does an endorsement or recommendation from a faculty member at Emory Law who heads up a significant clinic factor into an applicant's chance of admission? Thank you for your interest in fielding inquiries and applicants to Emory Law.

JLR

Postby JLR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 am

Sorry for the typo- Dean Rosenzweig

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Dean, is it true that Emory will not be sending out decisions until February?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 pm

letsdoit wrote:Dean, is it true that Emory will not be sending out decisions until February?

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Read the last part of the post again and there's your answer.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:44 pm

a special flower?
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Dean Rosenzweig, thank you so much for taking the time to give us information on this crazy forum!

I'm looking through the application I submitted through LSAC, and I don't see any opportunity to answer Emory specific questions. (Other than the personal statement and some questions that seem to be only for international students.) I am extremely enthusiastic about going to law school at Emory and concerned I missed something. Would it be beneficial to send in a letter explaining my interest in Emory?

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

LttleBlakDress wrote:Dean Rosenzweig, thank you so much for taking the time to give us information on this crazy forum!

I'm looking through the application I submitted through LSAC, and I don't see any opportunity to answer Emory specific questions. (Other than the personal statement and some questions that seem to be only for international students.) I am extremely enthusiastic about going to law school at Emory and concerned I missed something. Would it be beneficial to send in a letter explaining my interest in Emory?

I am wondering this too. I had written a Why Emory? addendum, but the email I received from Emory saying my app was complete said they "strongly discourage" addendums.

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 pm

I really don't think I can handle waiting until mid-February. I don't even know how I'll make it to the end of January.

Saaaay yeeeeeeeees Eeemoooooooooooryyyyyyyyyyyy.

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Maybe Emory will send us all a Valentine's card in a few weeks. Ya know, just to let us know they're still out there.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote:Maybe Emory will send us all a Valentine's card in a few weeks. Ya know, just to let us know they're still out there.

... making us wait.

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:09 pm

bergg007 wrote:
JayWilTheBoat wrote:Maybe Emory will send us all a Valentine's card in a few weeks. Ya know, just to let us know they're still out there.

... making us wait.

Waiting sucks. But to be serious, I'm glad that they're taking the time to consider the applications completely.

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:44 pm

I just received word that I'm a finalist for the Woodruff scholarship via phone.
Unsure of how many of these are given out--but I'm excited to explore my
options at Emory Law! Also Dean Ethan sounds so awesome.

I believe the final round is Feb 10-12 (Thursday-Saturday)
with paid airfare, lodging/host, Friday dinner; Saturday interview.

Final notification/decision back on Sunday. 24 hours to decide.

If anyone else is going to this, let me know, and we can be BFFLs for the weekend.
Last edited by neonx on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iknownothing

Postby iknownothing » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:08 pm

neonx wrote:I just received word that I'm a finalist for the Woodruff scholarship via phone.

If anyone else is going to this, let me know, and we can be BFFLs for the weekend.

I just looked at your profile and realized that I want to be you.

Anyway, congrats!

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

neonx wrote:I just received word that I'm a finalist for the Woodruff scholarship via phone.

Congrats!

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Hello all! Current Emory 1L and Woodruff Fellow here. If any prospective fellows or accepted students have questions, let me know! PM is preferred mode of comm. since I can see the messages as they arrive and I don't really troll the board that frequently.

Best of luck to all! Emory is a killer school. Hang tough as you wait for decisions. Emory was about the last school that accepted me, but it was well worth it.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:25 pm

How does everyone feel about Emory scholarship offers? Can we expect the same generosity as the last few years?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”