Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Finally back in the USA and got my acceptance letter at my permanent address.

Received 42K total for 3 years with a 167, 3.3. Pretty excited!

sportsguy88
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby sportsguy88 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:40 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
fish tacos wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:No worries, I was actually trying to provoke some Braves fans into some friendly banter.


Heyward and Freeman are gonna rock your world.


Yeah, Heyward is legit. 3rd best rookie last year, behing posey and Ike Davis.

I'm just going to pretend you didn't say Ike Davis and attribute it to being a New Yorker. In response to Posey, http://chop-n-change.com/2010-articles/ ... tions.html

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ze2151 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:56 pm

i guess no one remembers neftali feliz was the best rookie last year? and i'm even a texan. it's just obvious and not even that close.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 pm

That article is ridiculous and I can't believe you posted it. So bias. I especially like the paragraph that basically said "if he hadnt hit like shit for half the season, he would have been really good. And yeah, Ill admit Heyword is a straight G, but not the way that article makes him out to be. I also like how the article calls him a franchise saver. Psht, he wont even be there in 2 or 3 years.

User avatar
samilabuena
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby samilabuena » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:09 pm

ANYWAY

Congrats, law4vus!

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby krad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:10 pm

law4vus wrote:Finally back in the USA and got my acceptance letter at my permanent address.

Received 42K total for 3 years with a 167, 3.3. Pretty excited!


Congrats!!

CrimLaw300
Posts: 172
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby CrimLaw300 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to all.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks, guys.

With me somehow getting onto the WL at Georgetown, my cycle is pretty much over so I'll most likely be in Atlanta.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm

It looks like Emory is raising their tuition by over 4K next year??? Jesus.

sportsguy88
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby sportsguy88 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:44 am

bport hopeful wrote:That article is ridiculous and I can't believe you posted it. So bias. I especially like the paragraph that basically said "if he hadnt hit like shit for half the season, he would have been really good. And yeah, Ill admit Heyword is a straight G, but not the way that article makes him out to be. I also like how the article calls him a franchise saver. Psht, he wont even be there in 2 or 3 years.

Forget the words, just look at the stats. Most advanced stats have him as a top 10 hitter last year, and his insane OBP at age 20 is only matched by HOFers. Yes, everyone who is in his class at age 20 is in the HOF or is a shoo-in. But I suppose it's Ike Davis (he of the .176 Isolated Power, where .200 is about average for 1st base) that will be remembered in 20 years.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby bport hopeful » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:40 am

Heyword had a couple good months coupled with a bunch of shitty ones. I remember the shitty ones just as much as the good. And stop using asinine statistics.

Also, dont forget hes more likely to be a Met than a Brave within the next few years.

sportsguy88
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby sportsguy88 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 am

Heyward had exactly one bad month, in June, while his OPS was handily better than Ike Davis's year (.791) in every other month. But I suppose statistics are "asinine", and we should just take your impeccable memory of 2010 as truth.

If the Mets really had the Yankees' ability to blow free agents out of the water they wouldn't be looking at 4th or possibly a last place finish this year in a division with the Nationals. Madoff really screwed your front office's season, don't take it out on an actual contender.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:16 am

So when can I check back to this thread and actually read something about law school? :P

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby Omerta » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:46 am

SrLaw wrote:It looks like Emory is raising their tuition by over 4K next year??? Jesus.


It's going up by 1,700 (estimated increase).

this year, 42.9k:
next year, 44.6k: http://www.law.emory.edu/admission/admi ... ition.html

I'm staying at Emory to study over spring break. Maybe some of y'all will be in my tour group! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school.

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:35 pm

If I haven't heard back yet, does that basically mean i'm NOT accepted, or has the "third wave" not gone out yet?

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:If I haven't heard back yet, does that basically mean i'm NOT accepted, or has the "third wave" not gone out yet?


If you're really a Puerto Rican with a 3.8, 165 then worry about which T-14 you're going to attend instead. :D

All joking aside, I'd be extremely surprised if you weren't in. I'm a non-URM and got in with a 3.3 167. I know they have their 166 wall of death but that doesn't really apply to URMs.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby kjadkins » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:39 pm

law4vus wrote:I'm a non-URM and got in with a 3.3 167. I know they have their 166 wall of death but that doesn't really apply to URMs.


I'm a URM with your same LSAT/slightly higher GPA and haven't heard anything :(

beachviolet11
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby beachviolet11 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:50 pm

judging my the early complete dates on LSN and the fact that so many people in the last couple weeks got $ I'd say that we have just finished the first wave. so i think people who haven't heard shouldn't worry except that i doubt they will be giving out much more $ since they have given out so much already.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:16 pm

kjadkins wrote:
law4vus wrote:I'm a non-URM and got in with a 3.3 167. I know they have their 166 wall of death but that doesn't really apply to URMs.


I'm a URM with your same LSAT/slightly higher GPA and haven't heard anything :(


You'll be fine, I'm sure of it! When did you apply?

happypp43
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby happypp43 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 am

law4vus wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
law4vus wrote:I'm a non-URM and got in with a 3.3 167. I know they have their 166 wall of death but that doesn't really apply to URMs.


I'm a URM with your same LSAT/slightly higher GPA and haven't heard anything :(


You'll be fine, I'm sure of it! When did you apply?


As the admission people have said, they have only had their first wave (maybe two). So 1/3 of the spots should still be available. Maybe you are just one of the unlucky ones who got reviewed so late. Take it easy!

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby Sandro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 am

happypp43 wrote:
law4vus wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
law4vus wrote:I'm a non-URM and got in with a 3.3 167. I know they have their 166 wall of death but that doesn't really apply to URMs.


I'm a URM with your same LSAT/slightly higher GPA and haven't heard anything :(


You'll be fine, I'm sure of it! When did you apply?


As the admission people have said, they have only had their first wave (maybe two). So 1/3 of the spots should still be available. Maybe you are just one of the unlucky ones who got reviewed so late. Take it easy!


Emory just started giving decisions a few weeks ago. I have a hard time believing they have already made 2/3s of their eventual offers.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Hey all I'm trying to plan something and don't have my letter with me at work: Does anyone know off-hand/can anyone look at their letter to see when the seat deposits are due? The website tells the amounts ($250/$500) but doesn't give the dates... Thanks in advance!!

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby crit_racer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 pm

krad wrote:Hey all I'm trying to plan something and don't have my letter with me at work: Does anyone know off-hand/can anyone look at their letter to see when the seat deposits are due? The website tells the amounts ($250/$500) but doesn't give the dates... Thanks in advance!!


April 15 iirc

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 pm

crit_racer wrote:April 15 iirc

Thanks :) that must be when it is, because that's what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby crit_racer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I don't know about the 2nd one...that's so many months and possible waitlist acceptances away...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”