Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spets
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby spets » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 pm

In via snail mail with 36K. Been gone all weekend, nice to come back to an acceptance.

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ihp12 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm

In with 30k total. 3.0/168. I like Emory and would consider going there, but their scholly offer is about half of what I've been offered by its peer schools.

Best of luck to all of you!

bigredforlaw
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby bigredforlaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:38 pm

hurldes wrote:in today with $36,000 over three years. I wasn't expecting to even get in, so I haven't really given Emory much thought... does anyone know what job prospects are like for IP out of Emory? (I'm EE).


Check out the TI:GER program...looks pretty cool and unique http://www.law.emory.edu/academics/acad ... tiger.html

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lokist86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:39 pm

If i havent received the acceptance package by now, is it safe to assume that it's a ding?? Complete late January.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 pm

lokist86 wrote:If i havent received the acceptance package by now, is it safe to assume that it's a ding?? Complete late January.


No, they're sending them out in 3 batches. Since you went complete pretty late it's safe to assume your acceptance would be in one of the later batches if you are accepted.

lokist86
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lokist86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:51 pm

rman1201 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:If i havent received the acceptance package by now, is it safe to assume that it's a ding?? Complete late January.


No, they're sending them out in 3 batches. Since you went complete pretty late it's safe to assume your acceptance would be in one of the later batches if you are accepted.


THERE IS HOPE! :P

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, the mail has just been delivered.
I'll stroll out in this fine Florida weather and see if Emory have sent me anything....

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lastch2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

ze2151 wrote:just speaking from experience and based on conversations i've had, i'd say they wouldn't negotiate. there are people here right now who took emory over cls, so that wouldn't really be a shock to their system to learn that someone was making this choice. unless you think emory low-balled thinking above poster wouldn't come anyway. possible i guess, but doesn't seem likely. never hurts to try.


yeah..this is pretty much what i've garnerd from stalking tls, and they have yet to lead me wrong so bye-bye emory. we really could have been good together. :oops: good luck everyone else!! hopefully everyone gets in soon!!!

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

....Nope.

But I did get accosted by a man wanting to fertilize my lawn, remove cinchbugs, fleas and ticks. I rejected his offer. And I was upfront with him, I said I already had a good deal and our conversation was completed quickly, more quickly than most law schools seem capable of rejecting my offer to attend :roll:

User avatar
softsgalore
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:18 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby softsgalore » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:00 pm

In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby Perch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 pm

softsgalore wrote:In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.


I think it was supposed to be a nice, personal gesture...

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 pm

softsgalore wrote:In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.


Got that too.

Got my packet sometime between Thursday and Saturday, didn't get it til today. In with 54k (168/3.5)

Also, the packet said it was some customized acceptance packet for my interests but I didn't notice anything too customized other than my first name on the top and the couple sentences from the dean at the bottom. Anyone else?

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ihp12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Skyhook wrote:....Nope.

But I did get accosted by a man wanting to fertilize my lawn, remove cinchbugs, fleas and ticks. I rejected his offer. And I was upfront with him, I said I already had a good deal and our conversation was completed quickly, more quickly than most law schools seem capable of rejecting my offer to attend :roll:


You should have told him you had already filled as many lawn maintenance positions as you felt comfortable at this time, and so you could not accept his offer. However, you were so impressed by his credentials, that you would place him on a waiting list for potential mowers.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 pm

ihp12 wrote:
Skyhook wrote:....Nope.

But I did get accosted by a man wanting to fertilize my lawn, remove cinchbugs, fleas and ticks. I rejected his offer. And I was upfront with him, I said I already had a good deal and our conversation was completed quickly, more quickly than most law schools seem capable of rejecting my offer to attend :roll:


You should have told him you had already filled as many lawn maintenance positions as you felt comfortable at this time, and so you could not accept his offer. However, you were so impressed by his credentials, that you would place him on a waiting list for potential mowers.


:D

I must be a noob at this. I should have asked him to provide a "services offered statement" explaining why he felt he was best for my lawn, with a strict font and page limit requirement. Naturally I would need to see LOR.

I would let him know that he would not be able to contact me for 4 months about the matter because I would be very busy assessing my lawn's ranking vs the neighbors, and deciding on who should get the chance to look after it.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lawandi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
softsgalore wrote:In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.


Got that too.

Got my packet sometime between Thursday and Saturday, didn't get it til today. In with 54k (168/3.5)

Also, the packet said it was some customized acceptance packet for my interests but I didn't notice anything too customized other than my first name on the top and the couple sentences from the dean at the bottom. Anyone else?


In with 30k. I got the name thing too, and a really nice note from the dean about the strength of my application and how I should look into their feminism project. My packet was customized with information about this project. It was a nice touch; I'm very impressed that the head of the project is Martha Fineman.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:02 pm

In with 45K. I just tried to negotiate with Emory in hopes of upping my 15K a year scholarship but had no success. They were very kind in the e-mail response but unfortunately I just have too many better offers from better/peer schools. A damn shame since Emory was #1 on my list when I first started applying to schools.

I was looking into the House Director job they sent us but that seems like suicide for 1L. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I noticed that LSN (small sample) reported larger money awards for kids last year than this year, anyone have any insight as to why that is?

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

softsgalore wrote:In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.


I thought the same thing initially but I think it was supposed to be a personal touch type of thing.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:05 pm

SrLaw wrote:In with 45K. I just tried to negotiate with Emory in hopes of upping my 15K a year scholarship but had no success. They were very kind in the e-mail response but unfortunately I just have too many better offers from better/peer schools. A damn shame since Emory was #1 on my list when I first started applying to schools.

I was looking into the House Director job they sent us but that seems like suicide for 1L. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I noticed that LSN (small sample) reported larger money awards for kids last year than this year, anyone have any insight as to why that is?


If I could venture a guess - it's them experimenting to see if kind words and personalized acceptances can bring in just as many high numbers as cold hard cash. If it does, great, if not, they might continue as usual next year and accept a one year dip in rankings.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:07 pm

rman1201 wrote:
SrLaw wrote:In with 45K. I just tried to negotiate with Emory in hopes of upping my 15K a year scholarship but had no success. They were very kind in the e-mail response but unfortunately I just have too many better offers from better/peer schools. A damn shame since Emory was #1 on my list when I first started applying to schools.

I was looking into the House Director job they sent us but that seems like suicide for 1L. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I noticed that LSN (small sample) reported larger money awards for kids last year than this year, anyone have any insight as to why that is?


If I could venture a guess - it's them experimenting to see if kind words and personalized acceptances can bring in just as many high numbers as cold hard cash. If it does, great, if not, they might continue as usual next year and accept a one year dip in rankings.



Possibly. It makes me wish I would have applied last year, High scholarship + lower tuition sounds pretty damn good right about now.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby justadude55 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

IN + 54K!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

PM for #'s.

Plus the Dean wrote a handwritten note that showed he read my app. Very funny and nice guy - his note indicates he does not have the "no sense of humor snobbery" the stereotypical law school dean might have.

What is the deal with visiting?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:11 pm

justadude55 wrote:IN + 54K!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

PM for #'s.

Plus the Dean wrote a handwritten note that showed he read my app. Very funny and nice guy - his note indicates he does not have the "no sense of humor snobbery" the stereotypical law school dean might have.

What is the deal with visiting?


Congrats man. I remember feeling that jacked up when I heard from FSU out of nowhere.

username99
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby username99 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm

justadude55 wrote:IN + 54K!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

PM for #'s.

Plus the Dean wrote a handwritten note that showed he read my app. Very funny and nice guy - his note indicates he does not have the "no sense of humor snobbery" the stereotypical law school dean might have.

What is the deal with visiting?


Congrats!! See you at the admitted students thing!

username99
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby username99 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
justadude55 wrote:IN + 54K!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

PM for #'s.

Plus the Dean wrote a handwritten note that showed he read my app. Very funny and nice guy - his note indicates he does not have the "no sense of humor snobbery" the stereotypical law school dean might have.

What is the deal with visiting?


Congrats man. I remember feeling that jacked up when I heard from FSU out of nowhere.


I mean this in the nicest possible way, but the Knicks beat the crap out of you last night, Feel the Heat. Feel that!

User avatar
ChriLa425
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ChriLa425 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm

when your personal touch can be misunderstood as a typo then it is seriously time to rethink your game plan, Emory....

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:27 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:when your personal touch can be misunderstood as a typo then it is seriously time to rethink your game plan, Emory....


It seems like it would be more of a touch if they crossed out their own titles and put their first names.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”