Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spets

Re: Emory 2011

Postby spets » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:03 pm

In via snail mail with 36K. Been gone all weekend, nice to come back to an acceptance.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm

In with 30k total. 3.0/168. I like Emory and would consider going there, but their scholly offer is about half of what I've been offered by its peer schools.

Best of luck to all of you!

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:38 pm

hurldes wrote:in today with $36,000 over three years. I wasn't expecting to even get in, so I haven't really given Emory much thought... does anyone know what job prospects are like for IP out of Emory? (I'm EE).

Check out the TI:GER program...looks pretty cool and unique http://www.law.emory.edu/academics/acad ... tiger.html

lokist86

Postby lokist86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:39 pm

If i havent received the acceptance package by now, is it safe to assume that it's a ding?? Complete late January.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:48 pm

lokist86 wrote:If i havent received the acceptance package by now, is it safe to assume that it's a ding?? Complete late January.

No, they're sending them out in 3 batches. Since you went complete pretty late it's safe to assume your acceptance would be in one of the later batches if you are accepted.

lokist86

Postby lokist86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:51 pm

rman1201 wrote:
lokist86 wrote:If i havent received the acceptance package by now, is it safe to assume that it's a ding?? Complete late January.

No, they're sending them out in 3 batches. Since you went complete pretty late it's safe to assume your acceptance would be in one of the later batches if you are accepted.

THERE IS HOPE! :P

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Well, the mail has just been delivered.
I'll stroll out in this fine Florida weather and see if Emory have sent me anything....

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

ze2151 wrote:just speaking from experience and based on conversations i've had, i'd say they wouldn't negotiate. there are people here right now who took emory over cls, so that wouldn't really be a shock to their system to learn that someone was making this choice. unless you think emory low-balled thinking above poster wouldn't come anyway. possible i guess, but doesn't seem likely. never hurts to try.

yeah..this is pretty much what i've garnerd from stalking tls, and they have yet to lead me wrong so bye-bye emory. we really could have been good together. :oops: good luck everyone else!! hopefully everyone gets in soon!!!

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 pm

....Nope.

But I did get accosted by a man wanting to fertilize my lawn, remove cinchbugs, fleas and ticks. I rejected his offer. And I was upfront with him, I said I already had a good deal and our conversation was completed quickly, more quickly than most law schools seem capable of rejecting my offer to attend :roll:

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:00 pm

In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 pm

softsgalore wrote:In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Someone also used a blue pen to add my first name to the acceptance letter, so instead of just saying "Dear Ms. [lastname]," it now has a blue pen mark sticking between the Ms. and the last name, with my name on the line above. What the hell? Is money so tight that you couldn't print another copy if you messed it up? I mean, I wouldn't have minded just being addressed as Ms. [lastname], either. That's just bizarre.

I think it was supposed to be a nice, personal gesture...

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 pm

softsgalore wrote:In with $60k, but it's the same story as everyone else here -- significantly less money than peer schools have offered, and no room for negotiation.

Got that too.

Got my packet sometime between Thursday and Saturday, didn't get it til today. In with 54k (168/3.5)

Also, the packet said it was some customized acceptance packet for my interests but I didn't notice anything too customized other than my first name on the top and the couple sentences from the dean at the bottom. Anyone else?

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Skyhook wrote:....Nope.

But I did get accosted by a man wanting to fertilize my lawn, remove cinchbugs, fleas and ticks. I rejected his offer. And I was upfront with him, I said I already had a good deal and our conversation was completed quickly, more quickly than most law schools seem capable of rejecting my offer to attend :roll:

You should have told him you had already filled as many lawn maintenance positions as you felt comfortable at this time, and so you could not accept his offer. However, you were so impressed by his credentials, that you would place him on a waiting list for potential mowers.

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 pm

ihp12 wrote:
Skyhook wrote:....Nope.

You should have told him you had already filled as many lawn maintenance positions as you felt comfortable at this time, and so you could not accept his offer. However, you were so impressed by his credentials, that you would place him on a waiting list for potential mowers.

:D

I must be a noob at this. I should have asked him to provide a "services offered statement" explaining why he felt he was best for my lawn, with a strict font and page limit requirement. Naturally I would need to see LOR.

I would let him know that he would not be able to contact me for 4 months about the matter because I would be very busy assessing my lawn's ranking vs the neighbors, and deciding on who should get the chance to look after it.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:

Got that too.

Got my packet sometime between Thursday and Saturday, didn't get it til today. In with 54k (168/3.5)

Also, the packet said it was some customized acceptance packet for my interests but I didn't notice anything too customized other than my first name on the top and the couple sentences from the dean at the bottom. Anyone else?

In with 30k. I got the name thing too, and a really nice note from the dean about the strength of my application and how I should look into their feminism project. My packet was customized with information about this project. It was a nice touch; I'm very impressed that the head of the project is Martha Fineman.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:02 pm

In with 45K. I just tried to negotiate with Emory in hopes of upping my 15K a year scholarship but had no success. They were very kind in the e-mail response but unfortunately I just have too many better offers from better/peer schools. A damn shame since Emory was #1 on my list when I first started applying to schools.

I was looking into the House Director job they sent us but that seems like suicide for 1L. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I noticed that LSN (small sample) reported larger money awards for kids last year than this year, anyone have any insight as to why that is?

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

I thought the same thing initially but I think it was supposed to be a personal touch type of thing.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:05 pm

SrLaw wrote:In with 45K. I just tried to negotiate with Emory in hopes of upping my 15K a year scholarship but had no success. They were very kind in the e-mail response but unfortunately I just have too many better offers from better/peer schools. A damn shame since Emory was #1 on my list when I first started applying to schools.

I was looking into the House Director job they sent us but that seems like suicide for 1L. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, I noticed that LSN (small sample) reported larger money awards for kids last year than this year, anyone have any insight as to why that is?

If I could venture a guess - it's them experimenting to see if kind words and personalized acceptances can bring in just as many high numbers as cold hard cash. If it does, great, if not, they might continue as usual next year and accept a one year dip in rankings.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:07 pm

rman1201 wrote:
SrLaw wrote:In with 45K. I just tried to negotiate with Emory in hopes of upping my 15K a year scholarship but had no success. They were very kind in the e-mail response but unfortunately I just have too many better offers from better/peer schools. A damn shame since Emory was #1 on my list when I first started applying to schools.

If I could venture a guess - it's them experimenting to see if kind words and personalized acceptances can bring in just as many high numbers as cold hard cash. If it does, great, if not, they might continue as usual next year and accept a one year dip in rankings.

Possibly. It makes me wish I would have applied last year, High scholarship + lower tuition sounds pretty damn good right about now.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

IN + 54K!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREAKING HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

PM for #'s.

Plus the Dean wrote a handwritten note that showed he read my app. Very funny and nice guy - his note indicates he does not have the "no sense of humor snobbery" the stereotypical law school dean might have.

What is the deal with visiting?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:11 pm

justadude55 wrote:IN + 54K!!!!!!!!!!

PM for #'s.

Plus the Dean wrote a handwritten note that showed he read my app. Very funny and nice guy - his note indicates he does not have the "no sense of humor snobbery" the stereotypical law school dean might have.

Congrats man. I remember feeling that jacked up when I heard from FSU out of nowhere.

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm

PM for #'s.

Congrats!! See you at the admitted students thing!

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:20 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

PM for #'s.

Congrats man. I remember feeling that jacked up when I heard from FSU out of nowhere.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but the Knicks beat the crap out of you last night, Feel the Heat. Feel that!

ChriLa425

Postby ChriLa425 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm

when your personal touch can be misunderstood as a typo then it is seriously time to rethink your game plan, Emory....

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:27 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:when your personal touch can be misunderstood as a typo then it is seriously time to rethink your game plan, Emory....

It seems like it would be more of a touch if they crossed out their own titles and put their first names.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”