Emory 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Hello from Emory Law's Office of Admission

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:32 pm

bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Why were the application instructions for the fitness questions (http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness) posted after the application went “live” at http://www.lsac.org?

I sincerely apologize. After spending months working with various folks to rewrite our fitness questions and provide clear guidance for our applicants, I neglected to email our webmaster to ask him to activate the appropriate webpage housing this guidance.

Thus, to ensure that all our applicants are treated fairly, I emailed those who had already applied to read this guidance. The fitness questions are so important to becoming a licensed attorney that I wanted to make sure everyone who applies to Emory Law receives the appropriate guidance and support.


I told you it wasn't a conspiracy, Bergg...



That was months ago, way to let it go and move on. I hope we attend law school together people like you are so much fun...


If you get into Penn, I'd be more than happy to have you as a classmate. :)

bigwillie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby bigwillie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:29 pm

This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but how bad are job prospects from Emory? Seems like everyone on TLS warns of Emory's OCI. Atlanta looks like it would be a great place to go to school, and Emory's campus is beautiful. I have a friend who is a current 1L at Emory and he says he loves it, sounds like a great place, with great students and faculty, he strongly encouraged me to apply.
Anyway, haven't heard much else about this school, its a pain having to wait until mid February at the earliest to get a response.
Last edited by bigwillie on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fish tacos
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby fish tacos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Tagging myself, similar questions.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:I was just at the website today, and although the deadline used to be January 5, they appear to have changed it to January 11, for what it's worth.

http://www.law.emory.edu/admission/wood ... ocess.html


Should have mailed me an updated letter then.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Just threw in my app to Emory.

167/3.41 are my numbers.

Also, was anyone able to receive a fee waiver? It seems like Emory is staying very low key this year compared to the past 2.

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 pm

SrLaw wrote:Just threw in my app to Emory.

167/3.41 are my numbers.

Also, was anyone able to receive a fee waiver? It seems like Emory is staying very low key this year compared to the past 2.


I had a fee waiver.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:
SrLaw wrote:Just threw in my app to Emory.

167/3.41 are my numbers.

Also, was anyone able to receive a fee waiver? It seems like Emory is staying very low key this year compared to the past 2.


I had a fee waiver.



May I ask your #'s? Was it hidden?

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 pm

bigwillie wrote:This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but how bad are job prospects from Emory? Seems like everyone on TLS warns of Emory's OCI. Atlanta looks like it would be a great place to go to school, and Emory's campus is beautiful. I have a friend who is a current 1L at Emory and he says he loves it, sounds like a great place, with great students and faculty, he strongly encouraged me to apply.
Anyway, haven't heard much else about this school, its a pain having to wait until mid February at the earliest to get a response.


A husband of a friend graduated from Emory recently, and I've sent him an email with some of the same kinds of questions. I'll post any relevant responses.

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:14 pm

SrLaw wrote:
lvsmithmarsh wrote:
SrLaw wrote:Just threw in my app to Emory.

167/3.41 are my numbers.

Also, was anyone able to receive a fee waiver? It seems like Emory is staying very low key this year compared to the past 2.


I had a fee waiver.



May I ask your #'s? Was it hidden?


I received it by email. 166/3.63, so it was a little surprising. Since I've applied, though, Emory's moved up my list... I like Atlanta and have some friends there, and the qualifications of their most recent batch of Woodruff Scholars suggests that they at least value interesting softs and WE.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Unbelievable. I called twice yesterday and was basically told that unless I was in TFA I could not receive one. They and BC are the only 2 out of 20 schools who denied me. I guess I will bite the bullet and pay the $70.

bigwillie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby bigwillie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:
bigwillie wrote:This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but how bad are job prospects from Emory? Seems like everyone on TLS warns of Emory's OCI. Atlanta looks like it would be a great place to go to school, and Emory's campus is beautiful. I have a friend who is a current 1L at Emory and he says he loves it, sounds like a great place, with great students and faculty, he strongly encouraged me to apply.
Anyway, haven't heard much else about this school, its a pain having to wait until mid February at the earliest to get a response.


A husband of a friend graduated from Emory recently, and I've sent him an email with some of the same kinds of questions. I'll post any relevant responses.


Great. Look forward to seeing his responses.

User avatar
shanshan333
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:09 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby shanshan333 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

I didn't apply here but I work for a nonprofit law firm with a woman who just graduated from Emory. She was offered a position at an amazing law firm in NYC but she has to work at the nonprofit for a year or two before they accept her on board. They are paying for her to work there. She was not valedictorian or anything nor in the top 10%, just an average student from my understanding. Granted this is just one scenario, but she's the only Emory Law grad I know and has an enviable situation.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 am

Does anyone know when Emory generally starts sending out decisions/has anyone heard yet? Looking at LSN, only one person has heard thus far.

tarakit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tarakit » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:06 am

They sent out fee waivers the day before the Dec LSAT scores were released along with Northwestern. My numbers for Dec are both above their medians, but my previous LSAT was far below it. There was some speculation that the schools received our scores before we did. There is documentation of this on the Dec LSAT waiting thread.

User avatar
law4vus
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:09 am

Interesting. I applied in early December with my October score. Kinda wish they had a status checker, but sometimes I'm glad that they don't. lol

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby HyeMart » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:14 am

/did everyone get those scholarship emails? ive been complete since nov. and hvnt gotten any emails from them since.

RedBeard410
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby RedBeard410 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 pm

I received an email when I went complete at Emory that said they won't start issuing decisions until Mid-February. Not sure if anyone else has already posted this.

User avatar
ads222
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ads222 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 am

HyeMart wrote:/did everyone get those scholarship emails? ive been complete since nov. and hvnt gotten any emails from them since.


I think the scholarship stuff was by regular mail, not email, but I didn't get anything either (I do have a really awful mail carrier, though, so idk whether Emory sent one or not). FWIW, I have strong numbers for Emory and have been complete since Nov too.

User avatar
hurricane10
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby hurricane10 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 am

did anyone else get an unsolicited fee waiver from emory last week with an LSAT waay below their median? I didn't even take the December LSAT so it was pretty random. I'm 100 percent sure that they did it to lower their acceptance rate or something to that effect but sent an app in anyway.

User avatar
plug1
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby plug1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:50 pm

I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby SrLaw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:28 pm

hurricane10 wrote:did anyone else get an unsolicited fee waiver from emory last week with an LSAT waay below their median? I didn't even take the December LSAT so it was pretty random. I'm 100 percent sure that they did it to lower their acceptance rate or something to that effect but sent an app in anyway.


I have #'s way above their 75th and they have Absolutely refused to give me a fee waiver. It has really gave me a sour taste in my mouth, especially after seeing they are giving them to people belows their 25's.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ran12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm

SrLaw wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:did anyone else get an unsolicited fee waiver from emory last week with an LSAT waay below their median? I didn't even take the December LSAT so it was pretty random. I'm 100 percent sure that they did it to lower their acceptance rate or something to that effect but sent an app in anyway.


I have #'s way above their 75th and they have Absolutely refused to give me a fee waiver. It has really gave me a sour taste in my mouth, especially after seeing they are giving them to people belows their 25's.


That's b/c they think you prob won't attend if accepted. They give the waivers to below 25s b/c they're prob dings and thus leads to better stats to report to the ABA.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

plug1 wrote:I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?


What extra factor?

You'll probably be WLed due to your sub-166 score

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Emory 2011

Postby hokie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

plug1 wrote:I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?


I have almost identical #s and are pretty much expecting WL/ding despite my softs. If you look at past years on LSN, Emory is notorious for their 166 Wall of Doom. Hence 2.5/166 > 3.4/165 when it comes to Emory ITE. Not getting that extra point truly hurts right about now.......

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Emory 2011

Postby ran12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 pm

hokie wrote:
plug1 wrote:I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?


I have almost identical #s and are pretty much expecting WL/ding despite my softs. If you look at past years on LSN, Emory is notorious for their 166 Wall of Doom. Hence 2.5/166 > 3.4/165 when it comes to Emory ITE. Not getting that extra point truly hurts right about now.......


You never know what will happen. Emory isn't sending decisions until Feb and considering how late that is, they'll prob end up losing a lot of higher LSAT's to other schools. Plus, I don't think Emory/Atlanta are as attractive as other schools/markets in their range.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests