Emory 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fatduck

Gold

Re: Emory 2011

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
fatduck wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:How expensive are Braves tickets? I know that braves fans are among the top three worst fans in MLB, so I cant imagine they'd be much. Im a die hard met fan, so I know that guarantees me nine games a year. So thats a big selling point on the school.
more than you can afford
Well, thats not true, seeing as I can afford tickets in NY.
the city of atlanta levies a douche tax, which can be pretty hefty.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 pm

I dont see what I said that was so douchey

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Anyway, sorry for the offense.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 pm

just bustin' your balls, man

braves tix are pretty cheap

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

No worries, I was actually trying to provoke some Braves fans into some friendly banter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 pm

ballpop wrote:
atkpl wrote:Hi, guys,

I was accepted to Emory (well I guess I was because I got that e-mail about frat house job)

I just wanted to help you guys who are planning to go to Emory law by answering your questions. I went to Emory for UG.

I guess I can't answer anything about law school's job placement or something since I didn't go to law school yet.

But I can answer question about Emory in general and local area!

I just wanted to help out those who are interested in my alma mater!

Thanks
How is public transit/biking? I will be bringing my car but I hate relying on it to commute, I'd rather take the bus and do something productive. What is the coolest walking hood close to Emory, and how is it? And about going out---are the clubs/bars flooded with cig smoke and how do people usually get home (I know the truth is they probably drive home drunk, but what are the other options)?
People typically use designated drivers or just call a cab. The school will reimburse one or two cab rides per semester. If you share cabs all the time, it's a great deal because you can just take turns paying and getting reimbursed. Also, the state bar of GA has pretty severe consequences if you're caught driving drunk while in ls (I think you have to wait and can't take the bar right after you graduate. I forget the details though...the administration went over it during orientation).

atkpl

New

Post by atkpl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 am

How is public transit/biking? I will be bringing my car but I hate relying on it to commute, I'd rather take the bus and do something productive. What is the coolest walking hood close to Emory, and how is it? And about going out---are the clubs/bars flooded with cig smoke and how do people usually get home (I know the truth is they probably drive home drunk, but what are the other options)?[/quote]

We have this thing called Marta for public transit. However, the closest Marta train station to Emory is not within the walking distance at all. Buses are only good for when you go to the mall or the grocery store. Usually, you need to call a cab. We also have this neighborhood called Emory village surrounding school, but it's so tiny and old. The coolest walking hood in my opinion is Virginia Highland, it's about 5~10 min drive away from Emory. There is a website for this neighborhood, so you can look it up. The neighborhood around Emory is safe and Emory is actually having this campaign to encourage bike usage. You can conveniently park your bike in front of the buildings of Emory.

About the club, yes people smoke cig inside the club. And usually people take cabs. Atlanta is growing city, and streets are clean and buildings are new. I bet Atlanta is much nicer than you expect.

And about the commute, Emory has the shuttle for some of the apartments around the campus, so a lot of people use that. The housing is VERY cheap compared to other cities.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am

you can walk to the highlands from school, easily.

the above poster's reference to marta, i assume, is only dealing with the trains because there is a marta bus stop directly outside of law school. it's the lindbergh bus which terminates right at a train stop in buckhead.

i hate driving my car too. if you don't want to, you don't have to. but it is inconvenient to use any other form of transit. however, if you want to avoid paying hundreds of dollars for a parking pass (for a lot that is still about a mile from the law school) there are ways to avoid that, but you have to be a little creative.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:48 am

To everyone who has been accepted, what other schools are you looking at that might cause you to Withdrawal from Emory?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am

SrLaw wrote:To everyone who has been accepted, what other schools are you looking at that might cause you to Withdrawal from Emory?
I'll most likely be at Emory unless I get in off the WL at GW. That's pretty much only because I want to eventually end up in DC. Otherwise, Emory fits me better as a school.

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Post by CrimLaw300 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:31 pm

SrLaw wrote:To everyone who has been accepted, what other schools are you looking at that might cause you to Withdrawal from Emory?
I'm withdrawing because I don't want to take on a massive amount of debt; they only gave me 10k a year. It is one of the best schools that I have been accepted to, though.

ChriLa425

Bronze

Post by ChriLa425 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:38 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:
I'm withdrawing because I don't want to take on a massive amount of debt; they only gave me 10k a year. It is one of the best schools that I have been accepted to, though.
Yeah I think it´s just down to money, Emory gave me 20k a year
Last edited by ChriLa425 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Deciding b/w Emory (15k/year) and WUSTL (25k/year) and lower ranked schools in the region I want to work in (West coast/PNW).

Don't really like Emory's focus on litigation or the general direction of its curriculum. The mandatory trial techniques during 2L year sounds like a waste as someone who doesn't want to do litigation at all. Meanwhile, WUSTL has a plethora of courses in trademark/copyright law that Emory doesn't really offer. ATL is legit, tho.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 pm

crit_racer wrote:Deciding b/w Emory (15k/year) and WUSTL (25k/year) and lower ranked schools in the region I want to work in (West coast/PNW).

Don't really like Emory's focus on litigation or the general direction of its curriculum. The mandatory trial techniques during 2L year sounds like a waste as someone who doesn't want to do litigation at all. Meanwhile, WUSTL has a plethora of courses in trademark/copyright law that Emory doesn't really offer. ATL is legit, tho.

If you don't want to be in Atlanta, why would you even consider taking $30,000 fewer dollars?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 pm

kk19131 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:Deciding b/w Emory (15k/year) and WUSTL (25k/year) and lower ranked schools in the region I want to work in (West coast/PNW).

If you don't want to be in Atlanta, why would you even consider taking $30,000 fewer dollars?
I'd rather be in ATL for 3+ years than STL for 3+ years, so it's sort of the lesser of 2 evils. Either way, i eventually want to get to West coast and have ties there, but I would much rather bide my time in ATL than STL seeing as how so far my West coast options are shit.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:26 pm

crit_racer wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

I'd rather be in ATL for 3+ years than STL for 3+ years, so it's sort of the lesser of 2 evils. Either way, i eventually want to get to West coast and have ties there, but I would much rather bide my time in ATL than STL seeing as how so far my West coast options are shit.
And that's honestly worth the 30-40k to you?

I mean, I love ATL too, but sheesh. :lol:

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

kk19131 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:
kk19131 wrote:

And that's honestly worth the 30-40k to you?

I mean, I love ATL too, but sheesh. :lol:
not taking out loans for schoool. Money is always a consideration, but it's not quite as important in my decision as it might be to otehrs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:32 pm

crit_racer wrote:
not taking out loans for schoool. Money is always a consideration, but it's not quite as important in my decision as it might be to otehrs.
Oh... you're rich. :)

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

kk19131 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:
FILTHY!!!!! lol

spets

Bronze

Post by spets » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 pm

crit_racer wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:
FILTHY!!!!! lol
Sharing is caring :o

samilabuena

New

Post by samilabuena » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:35 pm

If I get into UCLA, my decision will be made for me.

Otherwise, Emory is looking like a really great option. Anyone have an opinion on Emory v. Tulane? I have good $$ at both.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ach24

Bronze

Post by ach24 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
CrimLaw300 wrote:
Yeah I think it´s just down to money, Emory gave me 20k a year but better schools gave me more.

Feel free to withdraw from vandy to improve my chances at acceptance from .001 to .002 % :D

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:20 pm

bport hopeful wrote:No worries, I was actually trying to provoke some Braves fans into some friendly banter.
Heyward and Freeman are gonna rock your world.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 am

fish tacos wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:No worries, I was actually trying to provoke some Braves fans into some friendly banter.
Heyward and Freeman are gonna rock your world.
Yeah, Heyward is legit. 3rd best rookie last year, behing posey and Ike Davis.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”