Emory 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Hello from Emory Law's Office of Admission

Post by HeavenWood » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:32 pm

bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
EmoryAdmissionDean wrote: Why were the application instructions for the fitness questions (http://www.law.emory.edu/fitness) posted after the application went “live” at http://www.lsac.org?

I sincerely apologize. After spending months working with various folks to rewrite our fitness questions and provide clear guidance for our applicants, I neglected to email our webmaster to ask him to activate the appropriate webpage housing this guidance.

Thus, to ensure that all our applicants are treated fairly, I emailed those who had already applied to read this guidance. The fitness questions are so important to becoming a licensed attorney that I wanted to make sure everyone who applies to Emory Law receives the appropriate guidance and support.
I told you it wasn't a conspiracy, Bergg...

That was months ago, way to let it go and move on. I hope we attend law school together people like you are so much fun...
If you get into Penn, I'd be more than happy to have you as a classmate. :)

bigwillie

New

Re: Emory 2011

Post by bigwillie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:29 pm

This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but how bad are job prospects from Emory? Seems like everyone on TLS warns of Emory's OCI. Atlanta looks like it would be a great place to go to school, and Emory's campus is beautiful. I have a friend who is a current 1L at Emory and he says he loves it, sounds like a great place, with great students and faculty, he strongly encouraged me to apply.
Anyway, haven't heard much else about this school, its a pain having to wait until mid February at the earliest to get a response.
Last edited by bigwillie on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Tagging myself, similar questions.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:I was just at the website today, and although the deadline used to be January 5, they appear to have changed it to January 11, for what it's worth.

http://www.law.emory.edu/admission/wood ... ocess.html
Should have mailed me an updated letter then.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 pm

Just threw in my app to Emory.

167/3.41 are my numbers.

Also, was anyone able to receive a fee waiver? It seems like Emory is staying very low key this year compared to the past 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 pm

SrLaw wrote:Just threw in my app to Emory.

167/3.41 are my numbers.

Also, was anyone able to receive a fee waiver? It seems like Emory is staying very low key this year compared to the past 2.
I had a fee waiver.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:

167/3.41 are my numbers.

I had a fee waiver.

May I ask your #'s? Was it hidden?

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 pm

bigwillie wrote:This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but how bad are job prospects from Emory? Seems like everyone on TLS warns of Emory's OCI. Atlanta looks like it would be a great place to go to school, and Emory's campus is beautiful. I have a friend who is a current 1L at Emory and he says he loves it, sounds like a great place, with great students and faculty, he strongly encouraged me to apply.
Anyway, haven't heard much else about this school, its a pain having to wait until mid February at the earliest to get a response.
A husband of a friend graduated from Emory recently, and I've sent him an email with some of the same kinds of questions. I'll post any relevant responses.

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:14 pm

SrLaw wrote:
lvsmithmarsh wrote:

167/3.41 are my numbers.

I had a fee waiver.

May I ask your #'s? Was it hidden?
I received it by email. 166/3.63, so it was a little surprising. Since I've applied, though, Emory's moved up my list... I like Atlanta and have some friends there, and the qualifications of their most recent batch of Woodruff Scholars suggests that they at least value interesting softs and WE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:17 pm

Unbelievable. I called twice yesterday and was basically told that unless I was in TFA I could not receive one. They and BC are the only 2 out of 20 schools who denied me. I guess I will bite the bullet and pay the $70.

bigwillie

New

Post by bigwillie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:30 pm

lvsmithmarsh wrote:
bigwillie wrote:This may not be the correct place to ask this question, but how bad are job prospects from Emory? Seems like everyone on TLS warns of Emory's OCI. Atlanta looks like it would be a great place to go to school, and Emory's campus is beautiful. I have a friend who is a current 1L at Emory and he says he loves it, sounds like a great place, with great students and faculty, he strongly encouraged me to apply.
A husband of a friend graduated from Emory recently, and I've sent him an email with some of the same kinds of questions. I'll post any relevant responses.
Great. Look forward to seeing his responses.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

I didn't apply here but I work for a nonprofit law firm with a woman who just graduated from Emory. She was offered a position at an amazing law firm in NYC but she has to work at the nonprofit for a year or two before they accept her on board. They are paying for her to work there. She was not valedictorian or anything nor in the top 10%, just an average student from my understanding. Granted this is just one scenario, but she's the only Emory Law grad I know and has an enviable situation.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 am

Does anyone know when Emory generally starts sending out decisions/has anyone heard yet? Looking at LSN, only one person has heard thus far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tarakit

New

Post by tarakit » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:06 am

They sent out fee waivers the day before the Dec LSAT scores were released along with Northwestern. My numbers for Dec are both above their medians, but my previous LSAT was far below it. There was some speculation that the schools received our scores before we did. There is documentation of this on the Dec LSAT waiting thread.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:09 am

Interesting. I applied in early December with my October score. Kinda wish they had a status checker, but sometimes I'm glad that they don't. lol

HyeMart

Bronze

Post by HyeMart » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:14 am

/did everyone get those scholarship emails? ive been complete since nov. and hvnt gotten any emails from them since.

RedBeard410

New

Post by RedBeard410 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 pm

I received an email when I went complete at Emory that said they won't start issuing decisions until Mid-February. Not sure if anyone else has already posted this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ads222

Bronze

Post by ads222 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 am

HyeMart wrote:/did everyone get those scholarship emails? ive been complete since nov. and hvnt gotten any emails from them since.
I think the scholarship stuff was by regular mail, not email, but I didn't get anything either (I do have a really awful mail carrier, though, so idk whether Emory sent one or not). FWIW, I have strong numbers for Emory and have been complete since Nov too.

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 am

did anyone else get an unsolicited fee waiver from emory last week with an LSAT waay below their median? I didn't even take the December LSAT so it was pretty random. I'm 100 percent sure that they did it to lower their acceptance rate or something to that effect but sent an app in anyway.

plug1

New

Post by plug1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:50 pm

I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:28 pm

hurricane10 wrote:did anyone else get an unsolicited fee waiver from emory last week with an LSAT waay below their median? I didn't even take the December LSAT so it was pretty random. I'm 100 percent sure that they did it to lower their acceptance rate or something to that effect but sent an app in anyway.
I have #'s way above their 75th and they have Absolutely refused to give me a fee waiver. It has really gave me a sour taste in my mouth, especially after seeing they are giving them to people belows their 25's.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:34 pm

SrLaw wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:did anyone else get an unsolicited fee waiver from emory last week with an LSAT waay below their median? I didn't even take the December LSAT so it was pretty random. I'm 100 percent sure that they did it to lower their acceptance rate or something to that effect but sent an app in anyway.
I have #'s way above their 75th and they have Absolutely refused to give me a fee waiver. It has really gave me a sour taste in my mouth, especially after seeing they are giving them to people belows their 25's.
That's b/c they think you prob won't attend if accepted. They give the waivers to below 25s b/c they're prob dings and thus leads to better stats to report to the ABA.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

plug1 wrote:I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?
What extra factor?

You'll probably be WLed due to your sub-166 score

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

plug1 wrote:I have a 165 / 3.4 and am a non-urm Hispanic. Do you guys think this extra factor will push me over the edge at Emory and help me get accepted or am I waitlist for sure?
I have almost identical #s and are pretty much expecting WL/ding despite my softs. If you look at past years on LSN, Emory is notorious for their 166 Wall of Doom. Hence 2.5/166 > 3.4/165 when it comes to Emory ITE. Not getting that extra point truly hurts right about now.......

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 pm

hokie wrote:
I have almost identical #s and are pretty much expecting WL/ding despite my softs. If you look at past years on LSN, Emory is notorious for their 166 Wall of Doom. Hence 2.5/166 > 3.4/165 when it comes to Emory ITE. Not getting that extra point truly hurts right about now.......
You never know what will happen. Emory isn't sending decisions until Feb and considering how late that is, they'll prob end up losing a lot of higher LSAT's to other schools. Plus, I don't think Emory/Atlanta are as attractive as other schools/markets in their range.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”