Emory 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
samilabuena

New

Re: Emory 2011

Post by samilabuena » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:37 pm

lokist86 wrote:I wonder if Emory's only showing love for high GPA or high LSAT applicants. No love so far for 166/3.6 >.<
I got my acceptance on Monday with $54k and our numbers are nearly identical - actually your GPA is a little better than mine! I have pretty good softs and great LORs, too. Not sure how much that counts for.

Complete mid November.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Complete since mid November. 167/3.7. Just hannnnging out.

aquyenl

Bronze

Post by aquyenl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 pm

i guess the 166 wall of doom is out the window this cycle?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 pm

In with $30K/year scholly. Too bad I only got into 1 T14, without any money. This will be tough...have done very well with schools ranked T14-T25.
Oh well..will need to do lots of research before making a decision. I love research.

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:55 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Complete since mid November. 167/3.7. Just hannnnging out.
I got the 75k with a 167/3.72 and applied 11/16

:-) I'm SO EXCITED for you!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:16 pm

innernetp wrote:

Congrats! I assume your scholly is $25K/year, right?
Interesting, that my lsat is lower than yours, gpa slightly higher and they offered me $30k/yr.
Sometimes these things seem so random

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 pm

masterthearts wrote:
innernetp wrote:

Interesting, that my lsat is lower than yours, gpa slightly higher and they offered me $30k/yr.
You're a URM, as we have reiterated in multiple threads

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
innernetp wrote:

You're a URM, as we have reiterated in multiple threads
TLS does not consider me to be urm, nuff said...don't want a urm debate, but you need to stop calling me urm because tls says I'm not.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 am

masterthearts wrote: TLS does not consider me to be urm, nuff said...don't want a urm debate, but you need to stop calling me urm because tls says I'm not.
Not making a URM debate, just saying that based on the information you've given in past threads, everyone seemed to agree that you are, in fact, a URM

URM isn't necessarily limited to the main 4 that TLS always points to

In any case, congratulations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:26 am

Umm I just got that Greek Life email thing...it said something about encouraging incoming students to become Greek Life directors?

Does that mean I got in? Haven't been able to check my mail to find out for sure.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 am

oh man ....

did all admits receive a Greek Life e-mail???

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 am

This is the text of it:
Dear law4vus:

Emory University’s Office of Residence Life has asked me to encourage our incoming students to consider serving as a Greek Life House Director for on-campus undergraduates during the 2011-2012 academic year. The position requires you to live in one of the renovated fraternity houses on main campus within walking distance to the Law School. Compensation is free housing and a $7,000 stipend for a 10-month contract. 

Currently, two Emory Law students (one of whom is a 1L) serve in these positions, and the Res Life folks enjoy having our students on their staff. Many moons ago (when we had AOL dial-up access and card catalogues in the Law Library), I did this job during law school at Emory. It was an enjoyable experience and provided me additional financial flexibility. The position also enhanced my resume because all of the legal employers preferred to discuss my experiences living with sophomores and juniors during law school rather than my law journal article with its 287 footnotes.

The web link for more information is http://www.emory.edu/HOUSING/JOBS/osfl_hd.html. Applications are being accepted with a priority deadline of March 3, and a final deadline of March 15. 

If we can provide any insight or assistance, please contact the Admission office directly by emailing admission@law.emory.edu, and we can put you in touch with our current students in the position. There are several openings. 

Also, we hope to see you on campus soon (http://www.law.emory.edu/visit). And, remember to register for Visiting Day on April 9 at http://www.law.emory.edu/visitingday.

Sincerely,
Ethan Rosenzweig 
02L
Dean of Admission and Financial Aid

And I'm stupid because right at the bottom it says "you have received this email because you have been admitted to the Emory University School of Law". Hell of a law student I'm going to make.

Fun way to find out I suppose! :)

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:50 am

law4vus wrote:This is the text of it:
Dear law4vus:

Emory University’s Office of Residence Life has asked me to encourage our incoming students to consider serving as a Greek Life House Director for on-campus undergraduates during the 2011-2012 academic year. The position requires you to live in one of the renovated fraternity houses on main campus within walking distance to the Law School. Compensation is free housing and a $7,000 stipend for a 10-month contract. 

Currently, two Emory Law students (one of whom is a 1L) serve in these positions, and the Res Life folks enjoy having our students on their staff. Many moons ago (when we had AOL dial-up access and card catalogues in the Law Library), I did this job during law school at Emory. It was an enjoyable experience and provided me additional financial flexibility. The position also enhanced my resume because all of the legal employers preferred to discuss my experiences living with sophomores and juniors during law school rather than my law journal article with its 287 footnotes.

The web link for more information is http://www.emory.edu/HOUSING/JOBS/osfl_hd.html. Applications are being accepted with a priority deadline of March 3, and a final deadline of March 15. 

If we can provide any insight or assistance, please contact the Admission office directly by emailing admission@law.emory.edu, and we can put you in touch with our current students in the position. There are several openings. 

Also, we hope to see you on campus soon (http://www.law.emory.edu/visit). And, remember to register for Visiting Day on April 9 at http://www.law.emory.edu/visitingday.

Sincerely,
Ethan Rosenzweig 
02L
Dean of Admission and Financial Aid

And I'm stupid because right at the bottom it says "you have received this email because you have been admitted to the Emory University School of Law". Hell of a law student I'm going to make.

Fun way to find out I suppose! :)
Wow, nice. No email here :/ I'm gonna hope that they only sent this to people with prior Greek participation :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am

fatduck wrote: Wow, nice. No email here :/ I'm gonna hope that they only sent this to people with prior Greek participation :D
Then I won't burst your bubble. :wink:

I'm sure you'll be good though. I don't have too much of a higher GPA and I have 3 points lower on the LSAT than you.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 am

I would totally do that ^ lol

zdayar

New

Post by zdayar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 am

tttlllsss wrote: URM isn't necessarily limited to the main 4 that TLS always points to
Could you elaborate? I've always wondered this myself. Who else other than the 4 categories might be considered URM?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:18 am

zdayar wrote:
tttlllsss wrote: URM isn't necessarily limited to the main 4 that TLS always points to
Could you elaborate? I've always wondered this myself. Who else other than the 4 categories might be considered URM?
Other hispanics, mostly. I've heard speculation that Cubans get a boost at some schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:18 am

zdayar wrote:
Well, to be clear, URMs are usually just Mexicans, PRs, Am Indians, and blacks/Af-Americans

However, depending on the school, certain groups may also get a URM benefit (e.g., Hispanics, SE Asians, Cubans, etc)

It's more clear which groups don't receive a URM benefit (e.g., Chinese, Koreans, etc)

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:34 am

tttlllsss wrote:
zdayar wrote:
Well, to be clear, URMs are usually just Mexicans, PRs, Am Indians, and blacks/Af-Americans

However, depending on the school, certain groups may also get a URM benefit (e.g., Hispanics, SE Asians, Cubans, etc)

It's more clear which groups don't receive a URM benefit (e.g., Chinese, Koreans, etc)
Don't forget India indians and white dudes and Jewish people

gatorlaw2011

New

Post by gatorlaw2011 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 am

Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:37 am

gatorlizzy28 wrote:
I'm going to bubble burst. No Greek participation for me, not even close. But I bet they just sent it to the first batch of acceptances so it's not necessarily bad news for anyone that didn't receive it. People who haven't received acceptances, yet got the email, will probably get their letters in the mail any day now. Is anyone considering doing this Greek thing? The money is super tempting, but it seems quite counterintuitive to live in a Greek house during 1L...
Have all admits received this msg? If so, looks like we have a surefire way to determine if you've been accepted to Emory law..

It's not an acceptance e-mail ... it's an e-mail inviting you to live in a frat house during law school

:|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:18 am

tttlllsss wrote: Have all admits received this msg? If so, looks like we have a surefire way to determine if you've been accepted to Emory law..

It's not an acceptance e-mail ... it's an e-mail inviting you to live in a frat house during law school

:|
Since the deadline is March 3rd/15th, I think it's safe to say that they just sent it to the first wave of admits to give them time to decide whether to do it.

As for living in a frat house during 1L, no thanks. I have trouble as it is with focusing and that won't help me in the least lol

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:14 am

where you be emoryyyyy???????

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 am

lol at missing out on this thread yesterday afternoon!

So, they basically want you to be the frat equivalent of a house mom?? HA! <would potentially consider being a house mom, cushy 'job'>

Maybe I'm confused, it sounds more like an RA?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 am

krad wrote:lol at missing out on this thread yesterday afternoon!

So, they basically want you to be the frat equivalent of a house mom?? HA! <would potentially consider being a house mom, cushy 'job'>

Maybe I'm confused, it sounds more like an RA?
I assure you that being a mom for a sorority would be a billion times easier than being a dad for a frat, lol

And yeah I think you're pretty much an RA/peer mentor. Sounds terrible for academics, but you do get free housing plus a stipend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”