Emory 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sch0123

Bronze

Re: Emory 2011

Post by sch0123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:01 pm

beachviolet11 wrote:i havent received the email either...odd that some are getting it and others arent

Hmmmm, hoping it isn't a bad sign that I didn't receive the e-mail. In the Dean's post from last night, he said he would be sending out the e-mail to "some of our applicants." It looks to me like those who received it have all been admitted... Am I wrong?

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:14 pm

I talked to a few of my professors today about the ranking change, and they had very interesting things to say. Of course they reminded us that the school and quality have not changed one bit since yesterday. Also, I learned that Emory is incredibly honest about its employment statistics. For instance, the school doesn't hire people for a few months just so they can be counted as employed (it's kind of crazy that some schools actually do this). One of my profs also said that a lot of people got an LLM that year for some reason, and based on the new methodology US News counted them as unemployed.

I also wanted to remind people of the most recent NLJ numbers. While the high regional no offer rate greatly affected a bunch of Southern schools that year, Emory remained very stable. Emory also has better numbers on this metric than many of the schools currently ranked above it *cough WUSTL-Illinios-W&M-Davis-Iowa-Minnesota-IUB cough*. I know that NLJ ranking isn't a perfect measurement because some places have more of these firms than others, but I just wanted to let people know that things aren't as dire as they might seem.

Seriously, Emory is an amazing place to be. I don't regret passing up similar scholarships at W&M, Davis, and BC one bit.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Why are people even talking about the drop in rankings. There's no difference at all between the old ranking and 30. I have my own doubts about Emory b/c of the Atlanta market not doing so well but in terms of education and reputation, there's no change. Davis for example is not so much better than Emory. It just happens to be the case that even slight changes in raw score lead to rankings changes.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:52 pm

ran12 wrote:Why are people even talking about the drop in rankings. There's no difference at all between the old ranking and 30. I have my own doubts about Emory b/c of the Atlanta market not doing so well but in terms of education and reputation, there's no change. Davis for example is not so much better than Emory. It just happens to be the case that even slight changes in raw score lead to rankings changes.
Perceived difference ---> Lessened ability to attract top students ---> Real difference

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:56 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
ran12 wrote:Why are people even talking about the drop in rankings. There's no difference at all between the old ranking and 30. I have my own doubts about Emory b/c of the Atlanta market not doing so well but in terms of education and reputation, there's no change. Davis for example is not so much better than Emory. It just happens to be the case that even slight changes in raw score lead to rankings changes.
Perceived difference ---> Lessened ability to attract top students ---> Real difference
I guess but someone would have to be pretty stupid to pick a school on ranking alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BHDLaw

Bronze

Post by BHDLaw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Just got the email about rankings. Would love to have a decision as well!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:00 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
ugh

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:01 pm

BHDLaw wrote:Just got the email about rankings. Would love to have a decision as well!
Got it too. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the Dean always has 02L after his name. I'm pretty sure he graduated from Emory Law a few years back but it's odd.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

sch0123 wrote:
beachviolet11 wrote:i havent received the email either...odd that some are getting it and others arent

Hmmmm, hoping it isn't a bad sign that I didn't receive the e-mail. In the Dean's post from last night, he said he would be sending out the e-mail to "some of our applicants." It looks to me like those who received it have all been admitted... Am I wrong?
Just received it and haven't gotten a decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:07 pm

ran12 wrote:
BHDLaw wrote:Just got the email about rankings. Would love to have a decision as well!
Got it too. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the Dean always has 02L after his name. I'm pretty sure he graduated from Emory Law a few years back but it's odd.
It's an Emory thing - 02 means he graduated in 2002 and L means "law"

For example, 05B would mean someone graduated in '05 from the B-school

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm

ran12 wrote:
It means he graduated in 2002 with a law degree.

njn3

New

Post by njn3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:14 pm

i got the email and no decision yet as well...
reading through the stats in the email, i've basically decided I'm gonna give up trying to figure out what the real employment stats are...I just don't care anymore...it's a regional school and still should do well in its region and has a bit of a name so you may be able to go elsewhere...beyond that, where the real number is between USNWR's 60some% and emory's listed 93% is just too much for me to even bother trying to figure out at this point

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Capitalist wrote:
sch0123 wrote:

Just received it and haven't gotten a decision.
Haven't received it, and also no decision.

Edit: Got the letter in my inbox as soon as I hit submit. haha

Edit 2: The sentences "I am confident that when you consider all the factors, you will realize Emory Law remains an outstanding place. I look forward to communicating admission decisions with you soon." would be mean to include if I am going to be a dinged applicant haha. Wonder if they sent out separate batches of the email for different stacks of apps?
Last edited by leidice on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sch0123

Bronze

Post by sch0123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah I'm guessing they sent out two different general e-mails to those who've been admitted and those who are still waiting, just got mine 20 mins ago.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:19 pm

njn3 wrote:i got the email and no decision yet as well...
reading through the stats in the email, i've basically decided I'm gonna give up trying to figure out what the real employment stats are...I just don't care anymore...it's a regional school and still should do well in its region and has a bit of a name so you may be able to go elsewhere...beyond that, where the real number is between USNWR's 60some% and emory's listed 93% is just too much for me to even bother trying to figure out at this point
If you're wondering, 65.9 at graduation, 87.1 9 months after graduation. Emory reported 93% 9 months after graduation. The disparity is because the stats Emory reported do not include the %6 not reporting. Whereas US News just took the total number known to be reported and divided by class size.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:31 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
Someone is trying to impress a certain admissions dean...
No, I'm not. I have provided no identifying information and am sure the Dean takes everything written on an online forum with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to be positive while I foresee a lot of people freaking out about the ranking drop.
I will do anything to impress a certain dean of admissions as the 8 spot drop means nothing to me. If accepted, I will attend, no questions.

Much love Dean Rosenzweig. Will PM name, LSAC number, social security number...

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:36 pm

gotcha wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
No, I'm not. I have provided no identifying information and am sure the Dean takes everything written on an online forum with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to be positive while I foresee a lot of people freaking out about the ranking drop.
I will do anything to impress a certain dean of admissions as the 8 spot drop means nothing to me. If accepted, I will attend, no questions.

you should include your LSAT score if it's above 165.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:37 pm

gotcha wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

PM me credit/debit card info + billing address and I'll drop a good word for you.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:37 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
you should include your LSAT score if it's above 165.
The only reason I am still in contention is because they know my LSAT score.

gotcha

New

Post by gotcha » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote: PM me credit/debit card info + billing address and I'll drop a good word for you.
No problem. PM on the way.

trayball23

Bronze

Post by trayball23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:42 pm

I got the email and also go not decision... Didn't really think email was necessary emory has been a great school for a long time and has a great reputation... if people are not going to go there because of what one years ranking said then they really didnt take a good look at the school to begin with

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

gotcha wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote: PM me credit/debit card info + billing address and I'll drop a good word for you.
No problem. PM on the way.
BRB, purchasing some Brioni dress shirts.

njn3

New

Post by njn3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:47 pm

ahh ok...thanks for clearing that up...in any case...

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:09 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
theavrock wrote:
krad wrote:If they start shelling out more $ I'd seriously consider it! At this point I'm ready to withdraw based on my other offers and Emory's higher cost of attendance :(
In the same position myself.

I sent a scholarship negotiation letter and although the response was polite and detailed the end game was that they would not negotiate merit based aid.

I told them to please let me know if anything change, but right now I just can't justify an additional 45K in tuition alone.
When did u send?
PM'd

ukgrad

New

Post by ukgrad » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey guys! So after much consideration, I am going to withdrawal from Emory. I sat down and did some math and even with the scholarship, the cost of attending is just too high for the school for me in its location. I just can't justify taking out nearly $100,000 in loans to live in Atlanta- just not what I am interested in.

With my husband in the Navy and myself considering JAG Corp (loan forgiveness!), I'm sticking to schools closer to my husband and naval bases for JAGC internships... so Boston C and W&M are my top choices. Hopefully someone can get my place and fat scholly and will love Emory in my place!

You guys are great and best of luck to you all!

(And my two cents on their last e-mail: I thought it was pretty pathetic. It looked like a desperate attempt to convince students to ignore the data rather than justify their position with statistics and what they are doing to increase the numbers. If any of you got W&M's recent letter to admits about employment stats you would know what I mean!)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”