Emory 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Bronze

Emory 2011

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Is the Emory app still due to go live around mid-Oct?

DaveBear07

Bronze

Re: Emory 2011

Post by DaveBear07 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:12 pm

It actually went up today (15th).

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:04 pm

FYI to anyone working on their Emory application tonight instead of going out and having fun and/or a life: you can start it today, but you can't submit it until October 21.

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:38 am

Submitting later this week :)

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 am

DorianGray89 wrote:Submitting later this week :)
Ok

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:38 pm

App submitted - the waiting game begins!

cholza00

New

Post by cholza00 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Has anyone got a fee waiver from Emory? I am about to give up waiting and submit....

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 pm

yea, I got one a in late October.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:03 pm

!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Anyone gotten a complete email yet?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm not sure if you all know this, but I met with an Emory representative at my school. He said no matter when you apply, you should not hear back until February. He seemed very serious - "you absolutely will NOT hear back before February, even if you applied today."

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:00 pm

innernetp wrote:I'm not sure if you all know this, but I met with an Emory representative at my school. He said no matter when you apply, you should not hear back until February. He seemed very serious - "you absolutely will NOT hear back before February, even if you applied today."
This will be a change from last year, when applicants first began hearing back around the tail end of December. Any reason why this is? Did Emory post their application later than usual?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
innernetp wrote:I'm not sure if you all know this, but I met with an Emory representative at my school. He said no matter when you apply, you should not hear back until February. He seemed very serious - "you absolutely will NOT hear back before February, even if you applied today."
This will be a change from last year, when applicants first began hearing back around the tail end of December. Any reason why this is? Did Emory post their application later than usual?
Emory posted the app way late. I think it went live around Oct 15 or so. Then, applicants couldn't submit it until the 21st of that same month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 am

Last edited by username99 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orangebluewhitered

New

Post by orangebluewhitered » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 am

That's really interesting; last year Emory mailed me my decision less than 2 weeks after I went complete.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 am

tttlllsss wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Emory posted the app way late. I think it went live around Oct 15 or so. Then, applicants couldn't submit it until the 21st of that same month.
The Emory application requires you to state that you had read the Emory Law Character and Fitness guidelines on their website. This website wasn't up until like the 25th or so. Meaning that if you did submit on the 21st, you were contacted by the Dean a few days later pointing out that you verified that you had read a thing that didn't exist at the time, and asking you to go read the website and reverify.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 am

username99 wrote:I hate to revisit this point, because I've made it on another thread, but it really seems like Emory doesn't have its shit together. After all the hoopla caused by that Above the Law post last year, you would think that the school would go out of its way to portray itself in a positive light. Instead it is the last school to post its application, then prevents students from submitting it until later, and now is doing something that students absolutely hate in holding its decisions for months. Of course the school should be allowed to make decisions whenever it pleases, but for a school that has been under fire for not having its shit together, Emory seems to be going out of its way to prove its detractors correct. If anyone from the school is viewing this site, I would hope that that person would take this post to heart. This message is coming from someone who views Emory as his top choice and yet is growing more weary by the day.
I gotta be honest, though. I'd rather they spent their money on things that will actually matter to my education rather than trying to six sigma their admissions process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 am

does anyone have a ststus checker I do not have one yet I applied early oct. I got an email they had everything....

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 am

Bumi wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
The Emory application requires you to state that you had read the Emory Law Character and Fitness guidelines on their website. This website wasn't up until like the 25th or so. Meaning that if you did submit on the 21st, you were contacted by the Dean a few days later pointing out that you verified that you had read a thing that didn't exist at the time, and asking you to go read the website and reverify.
See, that's obnoxious.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 am

Bumi wrote:
username99 wrote:I hate to revisit this point, because I've made it on another thread, but it really seems like Emory doesn't have its shit together. After all the hoopla caused by that Above the Law post last year, you would think that the school would go out of its way to portray itself in a positive light. Instead it is the last school to post its application, then prevents students from submitting it until later, and now is doing something that students absolutely hate in holding its decisions for months. Of course the school should be allowed to make decisions whenever it pleases, but for a school that has been under fire for not having its shit together, Emory seems to be going out of its way to prove its detractors correct. If anyone from the school is viewing this site, I would hope that that person would take this post to heart. This message is coming from someone who views Emory as his top choice and yet is growing more weary by the day.
I gotta be honest, though. I'd rather they spent their money on things that will actually matter to my education rather than trying to six sigma their admissions process.
Well I agree with that, for sure. But I don't think these shortcomings are a matter of money. I think it's a matter of professionalism and of putting out the best possible product (in this case, the school). If every other top school can successfully post an application way before Emory and every other school can have the website working before people who you directed to it are supposed to read it, is it unreasonable to ask the same of Emory? As far as the timeliness of decisions, I agree that it's not a huge deal in the whole scheme of things. But when you add that lag to a series of other lags, it raises some red flags.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Bumi wrote: The Emory application requires you to state that you had read the Emory Law Character and Fitness guidelines on their website. This website wasn't up until like the 25th or so. Meaning that if you did submit on the 21st, you were contacted by the Dean a few days later pointing out that you verified that you had read a thing that didn't exist at the time, and asking you to go read the website and reverify.
That happened to me. Do you think it will be held against me?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Bumi wrote: The Emory application requires you to state that you had read the Emory Law Character and Fitness guidelines on their website. This website wasn't up until like the 25th or so. Meaning that if you did submit on the 21st, you were contacted by the Dean a few days later pointing out that you verified that you had read a thing that didn't exist at the time, and asking you to go read the website and reverify.

Honestly? yeah I think it will be held against you but with your numbers you'll get in anyway, they may not offer you as much money. I'm cynical though, I think that them holding that character and fitness section was a test to the early applicants. Emory seems like they can be dickbags at times.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Also happened to me. It might hurt a little, but I don't think it'll be a death nail.

I don't think this was a test, I think they just didn't update their website on time. For example, they still have not updated their class profile to 2013, but this doesn't effect your application at all.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Honestly? yeah I think it will be held against you but with your numbers you'll get in anyway, they may not offer you as much money. I'm cynical though, I think that them holding that character and fitness section was a test to the early applicants. Emory seems like they can be dickbags at times.
I had figured I was ok to check the box because I called the admissions office and specifically asked whether they wanted me to disclose my two speeding tickets (the only misdemeanors I have ever committed). But whatever, I'm thinking I'll be fine, so long as Emory's magic number doesn't go up from 166 (I doubt it will this cycle).

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:44 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

I had figured I was ok to check the box because I called the admissions office and specifically asked whether they wanted me to disclose my two speeding tickets (the only misdemeanors I have ever committed). But whatever, I'm thinking I'll be fine, so long as Emory's magic number doesn't go up from 166 (I doubt it will this cycle).
Yeah I think keeping their medians up will matter more than slapping us on the hand for something thats half their fault. From LSN it seems like 166 + is an pretty much auto admit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”