Vanderbilt 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gemini

Re: Vanderbilt 2011

Postby Gemini » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:20 pm

letsdoit wrote:In with a 163/166/3.8 very good softs, non-urm,

wooo! now i need some schools $$....

:shock: Oh wait, nevermind, I saw the 166.

modmx

Postby modmx » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

letsdoit wrote:In with a 163/166/3.8 very good softs, non-urm,

wooo! now i need some scholly $$....

hey letsdoit, if you dont mind me asking, what you would you classify as very good softs. I hope my 167/3.92 looks good with tons of work experience and extracurriculars during my undergrad but I dont know if thats classified as very good softs in application terms

EDIT: shit....waitlisted. really dissapointed

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 pm

WLed! :mrgreen: I'm honored to have gotten that far with my numbers. Hopefully I can talk my way in now.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Crap, just got an email and apparently forgot to attach my PS? Weird. Hope I didn't screw myself over with that mistake.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 pm

akili wrote:Crap, just got an email and apparently forgot to attach my PS? Weird. Hope I didn't screw myself over with that mistake.

or worse, your PS was unrecognizable as a PS

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm

luckyme wrote:
akili wrote:Crap, just got an email and apparently forgot to attach my PS? Weird. Hope I didn't screw myself over with that mistake.

or worse, your PS was unrecognizable as a PS

Not gonna lie, this flashed through my head.

Just checked, definitely forgot to attach it AND my resume. I think the little essay questions threw off my game. Going to make my PS a little extra Vanderbilt-y so they know I love them!

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 pm

WL/URM/160/3.3. :-( This really makes me nervous. I think the reason I got WL is because of my interview with Dean Morton. I told him I was into politics possibly, and he told me that if I wanted to do that I should stay close to my home state. I guess he figured I wasn't going to go to Vandy??? I don't know. I was waitlised last year with a 154, I thought a 160 would do it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Dulcatis did this with Duke and still got in, and I sent Duke the wrong personalized PS and still got in. I know it's not Vanderbilt, but it's just a little illustration to show that schools understand and are willing to forgive silly errors. Don't worry about it!

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:49 pm

eskimo wrote:

Dulcatis did this with Duke and still got in, and I sent Duke the wrong personalized PS and still got in. I know it's not Vanderbilt, but it's just a little illustration to show that schools understand and are willing to forgive silly errors. Don't worry about it!

Thank you so much. I'm at work so I can't send it in from here, but I will as soon as I get home and maybe I'll add a little personalized Vandy love to the equation.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:51 pm

akili wrote:Thank you so much. I'm at work so I can't send it in from here, but I will as soon as I get home and maybe I'll add a little personalized Vandy love to the equation.

Sounds perfect. Good luck!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Officially waitlisted. Didn't have much of a chance anyway. Oh well. :?

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Officially waitlisted. Didn't have much of a chance anyway. Oh well. :?

:( I'm sorry.

jks14

Postby jks14 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 pm

If you don't mind. What are your numbers?

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:05 pm

jks14 wrote:If you don't mind. What are your numbers?

they are in her profile under her LSN link.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 pm

akili wrote:
jks14 wrote:If you don't mind. What are your numbers?

they are in her profile under her LSN link.

THANK YOU.

ihp12

Postby ihp12 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:25 pm

artichoke wrote:Are the people getting WL getting them by mail or email?

Mail

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:49 pm

I imagine that it's pretty tough being a school in the T15-20 range. A lot of people who are applying to T14 schools use them as safety schools, and while they'd probably love to have them in their class a lot of them have no intention of actually attending. And a lot of them will get accepted to 'better' schools, so the admissions people have to try to strike some kind of balance. This is undoubtedly one reason Vandy offers an interview to all their applicants, and it could be a reason they have that 1/10 deadline for scholarship applications (I imagine I'm not the only one who finds it a little suspect that the first batch of WLs went out on 1/12). My interviewer told me straight out that for the kind of job I wanted (international biglaw) I'd be better off going to a higher-tier school. It was good advice, though not really the kind of thing you want to hear from the person who's ideally promoting you to the school.

In any case, a WL is not a rejection and I imagine that they will be taking some people off the waitlist. But it does hurt to be stuck in that 'waiting' place for the next few months, especially if you were really set on Vandy.

Out of curiosity, how many people in the WL batch really had Vandy as their 1st choice and/or sent in the scholarship apps? No/No for this guy...

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:I imagine that it's pretty tough being a school in the T15-20 range. A lot of people who are applying to T14 schools use them as safety schools, and while they'd probably love to have them in their class a lot of them have no intention of actually attending. And a lot of them will get accepted to 'better' schools, so the admissions people have to try to strike some kind of balance. This is undoubtedly one reason Vandy offers an interview to all their applicants, and it could be a reason they have that 1/10 deadline for scholarship applications (I imagine I'm not the only one who finds it a little suspect that the first batch of WLs went out on 1/12). My interviewer told me straight out that for the kind of job I wanted (international biglaw) I'd be better off going to a higher-tier school. It was good advice, though not really the kind of thing you want to hear from the person who's ideally promoting you to the school.

In any case, a WL is not a rejection and I imagine that they will be taking some people off the waitlist. But it does hurt to be stuck in that 'waiting' place for the next few months, especially if you were really set on Vandy.

Out of curiosity, how many people in the WL batch really had Vandy as their 1st choice and/or sent in the scholarship apps? No/No for this guy...

1/10 deadline for scholarship apps? What!!?!! I missed it then...

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:I imagine that it's pretty tough being a school in the T15-20 range. A lot of people who are applying to T14 schools use them as safety schools, and while they'd probably love to have them in their class a lot of them have no intention of actually attending. And a lot of them will get accepted to 'better' schools, so the admissions people have to try to strike some kind of balance. This is undoubtedly one reason Vandy offers an interview to all their applicants, and it could be a reason they have that 1/10 deadline for scholarship applications (I imagine I'm not the only one who finds it a little suspect that the first batch of WLs went out on 1/12). My interviewer told me straight out that for the kind of job I wanted (international biglaw) I'd be better off going to a higher-tier school. It was good advice, though not really the kind of thing you want to hear from the person who's ideally promoting you to the school.

Ditto. But I believe it was only for the Law Scholar awards (full plus stipend). We are still in play for the other merit-based scholarships (assuming my 1/17 letter mailed is an acceptance).

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 pm

FiveSermon wrote:1/10 deadline for scholarship apps? What!!?!! I missed it then...

The 1/10 deadline is only for the Law Scholars Merit Awards so you still may get $

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

jman77 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Ditto. But I believe it was only for the Law Scholar awards (full plus stipend). We are still in play for the other merit-based scholarships (assuming my 1/17 letter mailed is an acceptance).

Confused. So the 1/10 deadline is for some super good scholarship that only few people get? As long as we get in the FAFSA+needbased forms by the feb 15th deadline are we good on the normal merit/need based aids?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:59 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
jman77 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Confused. So the 1/10 deadline is for some super good scholarship that only few people get? As long as we get in the FAFSA+needbased forms by the feb 15th deadline are we good on the normal merit/need based aids?

yep

ecarter22

Postby ecarter22 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Waitlisted, stats in profile and did not interview. I'm going to send a LOCI in this week though, just disappointed because Vandy was one of my top choices.

tarakit

Postby tarakit » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Vandy is my top choice. I interviewed and submitted the Merit Scholars app. I did not, however, tailor my PS to Vandy (sounded forced). My application is not yet complete... should I contact them to see if I can send in a "why Vandy" essay? Have those of you that have been admitted tailored your app to Vanderbilt in any way?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

tarakit wrote:Vandy is my top choice. I interviewed and submitted the Merit Scholars app. I did not, however, tailor my PS to Vandy (sounded forced). My application is not yet complete... should I contact them to see if I can send in a "why Vandy" essay? Have those of you that have been admitted tailored your app to Vanderbilt in any way?

Nah, you have great numbers and I imagine the interview is enough to demonstrate your interest. You should be good to go.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”