Vanderbilt 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crossingforHYS

Re: Vanderbilt 2011

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:36 am

ATR wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:they dont negotiate tough :(

Link?

no link....this is info from a current student who asked admissions.

edit: I asked a current student

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:23 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
ATR wrote:

Link?

Oh, okay -- thanks.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
ATR wrote:

Link?

Interesting. I was told, by a current student, to let them (admissions/fin aid people) know of any other offers I had from schools ranked higher than Vandy. That seemed to imply that they would take that into consideration and, therefore, match it?

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:37 pm

How does taking a scholarship into consideration = matching it?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 pm

ATR wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
ATR wrote:

Link?

Oh, okay -- thanks.

For what it is worth, I just got off the phone with the admissions department. They do not negotiate.

I'll be withdrawing later today.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:55 pm

eskimo wrote:How does taking a scholarship into consideration = matching it?

It doesn't. I don't think they'd match it on all occasions, but taking another school's scholarship offer into consideration would mean that they would, for lack of a better term, consider matching it, right? I guess that's what I took from the student I talked to.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Nah, I think schools say "take into consideration" to mean "lol no." Kind of like "holistic" review.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm

casterfield wrote:

It doesn't. I don't think they'd match it on all occasions, but taking another school's scholarship offer into consideration would mean that they would, for lack of a better term, consider matching it, right? I guess that's what I took from the student I talked to.

Except I just got off the phone with them. If you've gotten a scholarship offer, that is your scholarship offer. They do not negotiate.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
casterfield wrote:

Except I just got off the phone with them. If you've gotten a scholarship offer, that is your scholarship offer. They do not negotiate.

Well, way to rain on my parade. :( Guess I should be happy they gave me anything, then.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:02 pm

casterfield wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
casterfield wrote:

Well, way to rain on my parade. :( Guess I should be happy they gave me anything, then.

What can I say? I am a parade rainer. I am the single cloud in the sky on a sunny day.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Well nothing has arrived to VA just yet so I am losing hope for a little scholarship money.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Well nothing has arrived to VA just yet so I am losing hope for a little scholarship money.

same here in CA :(

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:12 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
casterfield wrote:

If that's the case, I'll have to wait to withdraw until after ASD. I'm $400 in the hole and I can't get reimbursed unless I go. So I suppose this will be a free trip to Nashville.

But it won't be a wasted trip. I'll get to check out Prince's Hot Chicken not that it could compete with the Plucker's by UT or the In-N-Out by USC.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:14 pm

lisjjen wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
casterfield wrote:

If that's the case, I'll have to wait to withdraw until after ASD. I'm $400 in the hole and I can't get reimbursed unless I go. So I suppose this will be a free trip to Nashville.

But it won't be a wasted trip. I'll get to check out Prince's Hot Chicken not that it could compete with the Plucker's by UT or the [size=150]In-N-Out by USC. [/size]

I'm fairly certain that there is no In-N-Out by USC.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:16 pm

lisjjen wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
casterfield wrote:

But it won't be a wasted trip. I'll get to check out Prince's Hot Chicken not that it could compete with the Plucker's by UT or the In-N-Out by USC.

I'm hungry...

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

dpk711 wrote:I'm fairly certain that there is no In-N-Out by USC.

I'm fairly certain there is. The Prince's Hot Chicken is 6 miles from Vanderbilt. Plucker's is about 2 miles from UT. In-N-Out is about 4 miles from USC.

Since Nashville, Austin and L.A. are all commuter cities, a few miles in a car is nearby.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:21 pm

dpk711 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

But it won't be a wasted trip. I'll get to check out Prince's Hot Chicken not that it could compete with the Plucker's by UT or the [size=150]In-N-Out by USC. [/size]

I'm fairly certain that there is no In-N-Out by USC.

And I'm fairly certain that Prince's Hot Chicken can compete with any In-N-Out, IMO. Probably because I'm a Cal-resident who's used to In-N-Out.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:28 pm

casterfield wrote:And I'm fairly certain that Prince's Hot Chicken can compete with any In-N-Out, IMO. Probably because I'm a Cal-resident who's used to In-N-Out.

False. Neopolitan shakes beat the crap out of slimy chicken.

Full disclosure: I don't like fried chicken an irony that my white friends love

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:40 pm

lisjjen wrote:
dpk711 wrote:I'm fairly certain that there is no In-N-Out by USC.

I'm fairly certain there is. The Prince's Hot Chicken is 6 miles from Vanderbilt. Plucker's is about 2 miles from UT. In-N-Out is about 4 miles from USC.

Since Nashville, Austin and L.A. are all commuter cities, a few miles in a car is nearby.

gotcha, i thought u meant that it was pretty much on campus...

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 pm

lisjjen wrote:
casterfield wrote:And I'm fairly certain that Prince's Hot Chicken can compete with any In-N-Out, IMO. Probably because I'm a Cal-resident who's used to In-N-Out.

Don't spew such nonsense. We all love fried chicken. Even black vegetarians love fried chicken haha.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:45 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Don't spew such nonsense. We all love fried chicken. Even black vegetarians love fried chicken haha.

--ImageRemoved--

Well, I love hot wings. Most of those are fried.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:59 pm

got my offer, and it's less than my offer at michigan, so no thanks. are we SURE they dont negotiate?

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

agora139 wrote:got my offer, and it's less than my offer at michigan, so no thanks. are we SURE they dont negotiate?

why wouldn't a school negotiate? i read back a few pages and get that the office and everyone else says that they don't, but in the end doesn't that hurt vandy more than help? with enough $$ i would go to vandy over columbia and be happy, but for a little less than 1/2 tuition (60k over 3 years) there's no way! i don't get this hard-line approach coming from a school teaching the art of negotiation. they're missing their chance to get debt-adverse students that can boost their rankings to matriculate...(cue end of rant :oops: )

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

lastch2 wrote:
agora139 wrote:got my offer, and it's less than my offer at michigan, so no thanks. are we SURE they dont negotiate?

why wouldn't a school negotiate? i read back a few pages and get that the office and everyone else says that they don't, but in the end doesn't that hurt vandy more than help? with enough $$ i would go to vandy over columbia and be happy, but for a little less than 1/2 tuition (60k over 3 years) there's no way! i don't get this hard-line approach coming from a school teaching the art of negotiation. they're missing their chance to get debt-adverse students that can boost their rankings to matriculate...(cue end of rant :oops: )

I've always thought that schools know more about the process than we do. It's easy for us to say what appears to be the obvious--because it doesn't happen, I assume that there are more variables than we know of that cause them to make the decisions that they do.

Trustbuster

Postby Trustbuster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”