Vanderbilt 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sghall

Re: Vanderbilt 2011

Postby sghall » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Does anyone know if the Law Scholars Merit Awards have been given out yet? I got my acceptance in early Feb. and called to ask about scholarships. I applied for the LSMA and she said they were going to start making those decisions that week and the people who received them would get a phone call. Then after that they would start making other scholarship decisions. Since it's been a few weeks, I had completely given up hope on the LSMA, but now I'm wondering if they have actually notified those people. Since they also still haven't sent out the other scholarship decisions. Did anyone else apply?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:57 am

sghall wrote:Does anyone know if the Law Scholars Merit Awards have been given out yet? I got my acceptance in early Feb. and called to ask about scholarships. I applied for the LSMA and she said they were going to start making those decisions that week and the people who received them would get a phone call. Then after that they would start making other scholarship decisions. Since it's been a few weeks, I had completely given up hope on the LSMA, but now I'm wondering if they have actually notified those people. Since they also still haven't sent out the other scholarship decisions. Did anyone else apply?

+1, I'm curious too. This is one of the few things that would throw a major wrench in my decision at this point, so I'd like to know.

If anyone got one and doesn't want to out themselves, PM me and I'll let everyone else know to give up hope :|

eminem

Postby eminem » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 am

DM 2/21. Fedex doesn't show anything and I have not received any of the e-mails that would suggest admission (scholarships, ect). I am a little confused about VULS sending what I assume is a WL or ding on a day when there is no US mail. I am also confused about why it took 3 months to crush my hopes and dreams. I guess they missed the part where I am a special snowflake.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 am

eminem wrote:DM 2/21. Fedex doesn't show anything and I have not received any of the e-mails that would suggest admission (scholarships, ect). I am a little confused about VULS sending what I assume is a WL or ding on a day when there is no US mail. I am also confused about why it took 3 months to crush my hopes and dreams. I guess they missed the part where I am a special snowflake.

I mean, if they have prepaid envelopes "decision mailed" could just be "stuck in the big mailbox outside the post office". I'm 99.9% sure a WL or rejection is coming my way, judging by the sea of reds and yellows surrounding where my little dot would be on LSN.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 am

sghall wrote:Does anyone know if the Law Scholars Merit Awards have been given out yet? I got my acceptance in early Feb. and called to ask about scholarships. I applied for the LSMA and she said they were going to start making those decisions that week and the people who received them would get a phone call. Then after that they would start making other scholarship decisions. Since it's been a few weeks, I had completely given up hope on the LSMA, but now I'm wondering if they have actually notified those people. Since they also still haven't sent out the other scholarship decisions. Did anyone else apply?

Check the previous page, an e-mail was sent yesterday saying scholarships will be mailed late next week. I've never heard of them calling for scholarships? has anyone else?

eta: looks like you're right, here's an lsn from last year that got a LSMA and said they received a phone call during the week of 2/15 :(

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/qcnc

sghall

Postby sghall » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am

hipstermafia wrote:

Check the previous page, an e-mail was sent yesterday saying scholarships will be mailed late next week. I've never heard of them calling for scholarships? has anyone else?

eta: looks like you're right, here's an lsn from last year that got a LSMA and said they received a phone call during the week of 2/15 :(

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/qcnc

Yeah I'm the one who posted about the scholarship e-mail, so I knew that. But I talked to Vandy on the phone a few weeks ago and they told me that they notify the recipients of Law Scholars Merit Awards via phone call. Everyone else gets their scholarship information via snail mail. They also don't notify those who applied for LSMA and didn't get it that they did not get it. Which leaves us all sitting here wondering...

So far no one on TLS has said they got one. But I think they only give out 10, so it's also possible that none of the people who received it are on TLS.

Sweetness

Postby Sweetness » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:43 am

Tip: GO TO MCDOUGALS.

That is all. I ate there 3x/4x a week when I was an undergrad.

tazvec

Postby tazvec » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:49 am

Sweetness wrote:Tip: GO TO MCDOUGALS.

That is all. I ate there 3x/4x a week when I was an undergrad.

My undergrad friends in Nashville at Vandy and Belmont tell me the same thing!
Also, from I'm told, we need to be drinking at whiskey kitchen.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:54 am

sghall wrote:Yeah I'm the one who posted about the scholarship e-mail, so I knew that. But I talked to Vandy on the phone a few weeks ago and they told me that they notify the recipients of Law Scholars Merit Awards via phone call. Everyone else gets their scholarship information via snail mail. They also don't notify those who applied for LSMA and didn't get it that they did not get it. Which leaves us all sitting here wondering...

So far no one on TLS has said they got one. But I think they only give out 10, so it's also possible that none of the people who received it are on TLS.

RC fail, my apologies.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had gone out then, no one has reported them on lsn either but then again last year only 2 applicants reported them and two cycles ago no one did. I guess we'll know for sure when mailed scholarships start popping up, or someone on here gets a call :)

tarakit

Postby tarakit » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:22 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
sghall wrote:Yeah I'm the one who posted about the scholarship e-mail, so I knew that. But I talked to Vandy on the phone a few weeks ago and they told me that they notify the recipients of Law Scholars Merit Awards via phone call. Everyone else gets their scholarship information via snail mail. They also don't notify those who applied for LSMA and didn't get it that they did not get it. Which leaves us all sitting here wondering...

RC fail, my apologies.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had gone out then, no one has reported them on lsn either but then again last year only 2 applicants reported them and two cycles ago no one did. I guess we'll know for sure when mailed scholarships start popping up, or someone on here gets a call :)

Someone reported one on TLS last week, though they didn't post in either of the Vandy threads. They made their own thread to ask people about the scholarship... I don't remember where the thread is though.

meryl

Postby meryl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 pm

tarakit wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

RC fail, my apologies.

Someone reported one on TLS last week, though they didn't post in either of the Vandy threads. They made their own thread to ask people about the scholarship... I don't remember where the thread is though.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=147931
this one

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:20 pm

For later admits, does anyone know when scholarships come out? Is it a rolling process or will there be another big wave?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:For later admits, does anyone know when scholarships come out? Is it a rolling process or will there be another big wave?

+1, got my admit package yesterday while people got that scholarship email. Curious about scholarship as well

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 am

Just got my packet today, so I guess I'm officially admitted. :D Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:51 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Just got my packet today, so I guess I'm officially admitted. :D Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Visit on April 8th with errybody!

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 am

Bildungsroman wrote:For later admits, does anyone know when scholarships come out? Is it a rolling process or will there be another big wave?

I was admitted less than a month ago. I received an email a few days ago which says, "The scholarship committee expects to begin mailing (USPS) award letters late next week." Doesn't really answer your question, but that's the best I can do.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 am

Flips88 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Just got my packet today, so I guess I'm officially admitted. :D Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I could probably do that, if Vanderbilt is feeling generous with travel stipends. Do we have a list of who's planning on attending April 8?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I could probably do that, if Vanderbilt is feeling generous with travel stipends. Do we have a list of who's planning on attending April 8?

I believe they say you can get reimbursed for $200 for a flight and $50/night for 2 nights at a hotel without preapproval. I just emailed them tonight asking for higher than $200 since a flight for me is $350+. Either way, I think I'm going to go. I believe ATR should be there as he is in UG there. and Akilli as well. Not sure who else

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 am

rejected

3.67 169

reviewed application...no errors

Interview went great imo

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 am

Last edited by ATR on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:02 am

Flips88 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I believe they say you can get reimbursed for $200 for a flight and $50/night for 2 nights at a hotel without preapproval. I just emailed them tonight asking for higher than $200 since a flight for me is $350+. Either way, I think I'm going to go. I believe ATR should be there as he is in UG there. and Akilli as well. Not sure who else

Damn, that's not bad. Looks like I could get a flight from Denver for around $250.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 am

dreakol wrote:rejected

3.67 169

Interview went great imo

Well, based on numbers alone you certainly weren't an auto-admit, but would have guessed a WL at least. Are you sure there's nothing in your app weighing you down? I noticed from the Ding Bar Thread that you've been WLed at schools that ought to be throwing $$$ at you.

VandyTakingQuestions

Postby VandyTakingQuestions » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 am

2L here. I just walked past the a big stack of FedEx boxes that look suspiciously like the acceptance packet I got about two years ago, good luck you guys ;)

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:16 am

SOMEHOW I MISSED THIS!!! CONGRATS! See you in April!

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:18 am

Cade McNown wrote:
dreakol wrote:rejected

3.67 169

Interview went great imo

Well, based on numbers alone you certainly weren't an auto-admit, but would have guessed a WL at least. Are you sure there's nothing in your app weighing you down? I noticed from the Ding Bar Thread that you've been WLed at schools that ought to be throwing $$$ at you.

I have a DUI and my GPA dropped from a 3.70 to a 3.67 junior year.

The rejection was weird.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”