Minnesota 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Amir N

Bronze

Re: Minnesota 2011

Post by Amir N » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:37 pm

WL'ed today with 159/3.57/OOS.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunyoo25

New

Post by sunyoo25 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:55 pm

mss455 wrote:
Woowww Big Congrats to You !!!! (did you find this when you got admitted and when did you go IR?)
Thanks, mss455!
I'm an international applicant so I got an email instead of a phonecall.
That said, the scholarship email came a full day after the admission email. Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the IR question. I applied 11/29, went complete 12/14. I didn't check the status checker too often so I'm not sure about multiple IR dates but I did see a 12/23 at one point.
Last edited by sunyoo25 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:Not for nothing, Chris, but unless you're planning on marrying this girl don't base your decision on where she wants to settle. Remember you'll be the one with the J.D. and its corresponding debt and salary. Just my humble opinion after seeing a lot of friends get screwed over in graduate/professional school.

Good advice, definitely, but that's the plan. She moved out here to Seattle with me for work after my UG, knowing that the plan was to come back to Iowa/Minnesota after a year or two. I kinda threw a stick in the spokes by suggesting CO, and she obliged me by applying to CSU.

Anywho, getting in at UMn would have made a huge difference, since it was my #1 choice anyway. It just sucks that my Iowa/Minnesota choices have now been narrowed to Iowa in-state (scholarship unknown), WM 40% (yeah, no thanks), and St. Thomas full ride. I do really enjoy St. Thomas though, I'm just worried about employment prospects.

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Sorry, I didn't know you two had already moved across the country together; it makes a huge difference!

As for St. Thomas, there are a lot worse places you could be. An MBA friend of mine commented the other day about how St. Thomas seems to have connections all over the Cities. And with a full-ride it's not like you'd be freaking out about that 120k price tag after graduation. That being said I wouldn't give up on MN or poo-poo Iowa either.

edit: Just re-read your last post and you mentioned your prospects were narrowed down to WM, St. T, and Iowa. Did you withdraw from UMN?? Did I miss something??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BHDLaw

Bronze

Post by BHDLaw » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm

To those who are receiving decisions, did your status update to 1/27? I'm on update number three...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:Sorry, I didn't know you two had already moved across the country together; it makes a huge difference!

As for St. Thomas, there are a lot worse places you could be. An MBA friend of mine commented the other day about how St. Thomas seems to have connections all over the Cities. And with a full-ride it's not like you'd be freaking out about that 120k price tag after graduation. That being said I wouldn't give up on MN or poo-poo Iowa either.

edit: Just re-read your last post and you mentioned your prospects were narrowed down to WM, St. T, and Iowa. Did you withdraw from UMN?? Did I miss something??

Still considering CU-Boulder as well, if the gf gets in to CSU.

I didn't withdrawn from UMN, but I'm also not hopeful for admission, and even if I do I doubt they'll give me money (or, at least, enough to make it worthwhile to go there over UST.) If I go to UST, I'll probably do the JD/MBA if they'll extend the full-ride for a 4th year.

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Waitlisted today 1/27. Applied earlier this month, 3.76 170

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:28 pm

clevermoose wrote:Waitlisted today 1/27. Applied earlier this month, 3.76 170
YP, again. It seems as though this year it was futile to apply to Minnesota if you had an LSAT higher than 169.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bela

Bronze

Post by Bela » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Got my letter today. $90k scholarship over 3 years.

bernadette1

New

Post by bernadette1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:59 pm

BHDLaw wrote:To those who are receiving decisions, did your status update to 1/27? I'm on update number three...

im in the exact same boat. update number 3 today but no decision yet.

should i be worrying?

LJgibbs

New

Post by LJgibbs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Has anyone received clarification about receiving waitlist emails after being admitted?

I was in via voicemail last week (169/3.31) but then got WL emails Tuesday AND yesterday. Status checker also says WL.

I called yesterday morning and the lady I spoke to seem confused and said they would get back to me by the end of the day with a decision. I never heard back. Then I got the admissions package via mail yesterday, with $60k scholly.

Judging by the responses on this thread, it looks like most admitted students have NOT received WL emails. Not sure what to think...I wish the admissions office would call me back!

Mike088

Bronze

Post by Mike088 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm

My first rejection of the cycle It was highly expected.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:09 pm

LJgibbs wrote:Has anyone received clarification about receiving waitlist emails after being admitted?

I was in via voicemail last week (169/3.31) but then got WL emails Tuesday AND yesterday. Status checker also says WL.

I called yesterday morning and the lady I spoke to seem confused and said they would get back to me by the end of the day with a decision. I never heard back. Then I got the admissions package via mail yesterday, with $60k scholly.

Judging by the responses on this thread, it looks like most admitted students have NOT received WL emails. Not sure what to think...I wish the admissions office would call me back!
If you got a call AND an admissions packet, I would assume that you're in, not waitlisted. Although you know what they say about assuming...

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm

All of these mixed messages are making me really nervous. Were some of us who are waitlisted really supposed to get rejections? I doubt they'd make a mistake that huge, but I suppose weirder things have happened.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Gotti wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:I think I'm going to withdraw relatively soon....Just got into GW! Lol chrisbru i'll ask them to give my spot to you...you want them so damn bad!
Lol we heard from GW the same day! maybe I'll see you there! Still haven't heard from UMN. I love Minneapolis, I think I just might go over GW but not sure.
congrats!! I'm probably going to ASW on April 8...only thing that's really stopping me is T14 acceptances, which I probably won't get. I'm just hoping for NU and I'm set.
Barring T14 acceptances (yeah right!) I'll see you there. GW is still te most expensive university in the country right? I know Minnesota isn't a "name" school, but I wouldn't mind staying in the Midwest (and truth be told I don't really like DC)

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:44 pm

fakemoney wrote:Hmm...

Interesting to see action on some late December apps. I applied 12/23, went in review 1/21. Maybe there's a chance I won't have to wait another month.
My understanding is that the review date is more indicative than the complete date, but I'm 1/21 as well. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:I think I'm going to withdraw relatively soon....Just got into GW! Lol chrisbru i'll ask them to give my spot to you...you want them so damn bad!
Lol we heard from GW the same day! maybe I'll see you there! Still haven't heard from UMN. I love Minneapolis, I think I just might go over GW but not sure.
congrats!! I'm probably going to ASW on April 8...only thing that's really stopping me is T14 acceptances, which I probably won't get. I'm just hoping for NU and I'm set.
Barring T14 acceptances (yeah right!) I'll see you there. GW is still te most expensive university in the country right? I know Minnesota isn't a "name" school, but I wouldn't mind staying in the Midwest (and truth be told I don't really like DC)
And GW probably doesn't carry well in the Midwest anyway

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm very excited to get my admit packet, and hopefully a sizable amount of $$$.

*applied 12/16, went IR 12/23 -->1/21 --> Acceptance 1/26

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm

LJgibbs wrote:Has anyone received clarification about receiving waitlist emails after being admitted?

Well if anyone can get to the bottom of this it's mark Harmon

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Mark Harmon's there? Minneapolis just got warmer. :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Got my admit packet today. Cool folder, sticker and $20k/year scholarship. Minnesota: making my life unexpectedly complicated in a very good way.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:32 pm

snapdragon wrote:Got my admit packet today. Cool folder, sticker and $20k/year scholarship. Minnesota: making my life unexpectedly complicated in a very good way.
Congrats on the scholly.

LJgibbs

New

Post by LJgibbs » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Still haven't heard back from admissions but status checker changed to admitted sometime this afternoon...gut tells me I'm in.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 pm

snapdragon wrote:Got my admit packet today. Cool folder, sticker and $20k/year scholarship. Minnesota: making my life unexpectedly complicated in a very good way.
congrats!!!! I can't wait to get mine! How long after your admit call did you get it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”