Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I'm done waiting- how does one go about withdrawing?

Just email them. I'm really sick of waiting too. What the hell are they doing? I'm pretty much expecting a waitlist at this point.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:30 pm

send their admissions office an email, that should do it.

dcwumpus

Postby dcwumpus » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 pm

No calls today, eh?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Doesn't sound like it. Has anyone heard anything from U of M since before break?!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Still at 12/17. I'm attributing this delay for the 12/17 crowd to the fact that they are trying to secure funds to give out an unprecedented full ride+160k/year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:07 pm

chip3341 wrote:Still at 12/17. I'm attributing this delay for the 12/17 crowd to the fact that they are trying to secure funds to give out an unprecedented full ride+160k/year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: <33333

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ht2988 wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:
ht2988 wrote:
Mine finally changed. first UR 12/17 > second UR 1/14! Ready for the bad news... :|

I don't get it. More than one UR date is bad?

Still 12/17 btw.

No no, I'm just assuming that more than one UR date means I'm that much closer to a decision - a decision which I'm predicting will be bad, considering I'm below the LSAT median. And in retrospect, I think the content in my PS was too far out in the radical margins of what an admission counselor might be comfortable with. Oh well.

I'm VERY curious. Please share?

In a nutshell, I wrote about how I used to be an IV drug addict living on the streets, cleaned up my act, and am now a senior at a good college surviving with HIV and Hep-C. I talked about how my racial-sexual identity figured into my life story and connected it to why I believe I need to go to law school. I don't regret writing about this, it's my story and I'm sticking to it. However, I may have been a little too naive regarding how an admission counselor might perceive my experiences.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Just email them. I'm really sick of waiting too. What the hell are they doing? I'm pretty much expecting a waitlist at this point.

Done. Best of luck to the rest of you. Prolly just opened up a slot ahead of you if you're waiting on the waitlist!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:52 pm

ht2988 wrote:
In a nutshell, I wrote about how I used to be an IV drug addict living on the streets, cleaned up my act, and am now a senior at a good college surviving with HIV and Hep-C. I talked about how my racial-sexual identity figured into my life story and connected it to why I believe I need to go to law school. I don't regret writing about this, it's my story and I'm sticking to it. However, I may have been a little too naive regarding how an admission counselor might perceive my experiences.

I'm not an adcomm, so I can't comment for sure... But to me it sounds like exactly what a PS should be. Congrats on getting everything in order, I'm sure it was hard work.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ht2988 wrote:

I'm not an adcomm, so I can't comment for sure... But to me it sounds like exactly what a PS should be. Congrats on getting everything in order, I'm sure it was hard work.

Thanks, yea it was hard work - and it has paid off regardless of having a shitty app cycle thus far. An acceptance would be like the proverbial cherry on top.

fletchcon

Postby fletchcon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 pm

ht2988 wrote:In a nutshell, I wrote about how I used to be an IV drug addict living on the streets, cleaned up my act, and am now a senior at a good college surviving with HIV and Hep-C. I talked about how my racial-sexual identity figured into my life story and connected it to why I believe I need to go to law school. I don't regret writing about this, it's my story and I'm sticking to it. However, I may have been a little too naive regarding how an admission counselor might perceive my experiences.

Sounds like pretty compelling stuff to me! I think, or at the very least hope, adcomms would appreciate your story and that it would give a boost to your application.
Best of luck to you in your cycle, will keep my fingers crossed for you.

RicketyCricket

Postby RicketyCricket » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:16 pm

ht2988 wrote:In a nutshell, I wrote about how I used to be an IV drug addict living on the streets, cleaned up my act, and am now a senior at a good college surviving with HIV and Hep-C. I talked about how my racial-sexual identity figured into my life story and connected it to why I believe I need to go to law school. I don't regret writing about this, it's my story and I'm sticking to it. However, I may have been a little too naive regarding how an admission counselor might perceive my experiences.

Wow. That's a swinging for the fences type of move. I really hope it works out for you.

Anyway, 1/7--->1/14 under review. I wonder if they only update on Fridays?

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 pm

I was IR 11/3 -> 12/3 -> 12/16 and still nothing. I don't get you Minnesota. I really want to visit but I'm not goin all the way up there for nothing...

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:27 pm

I've never done this but just some food for thought:

Has anyone ever sent an email to a school they'd like to go to and say, hey, I want to come visit and I'd like to plan some trips soon to visit schools but I haven't heard anything back from you in a while - I'm wondering when I can hope to hear from you so I can move forward in my application process...I'd love to get the opportunity to come visit your school etc etc

just a thought for all of you waiting....

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:I've never done this but just some food for thought:

Has anyone ever sent an email to a school they'd like to go to and say, hey, I want to come visit and I'd like to plan some trips soon to visit schools but I haven't heard anything back from you in a while - I'm wondering when I can hope to hear from you so I can move forward in my application process...I'd love to get the opportunity to come visit your school etc etc

Tried this with Colorado. They gave me the same "first batch will be processed in January" answer that they included in their acceptance letter.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:41 pm

After hearing back so quickly from Iowa, WUSTL, and Illinois, I figured Minnesota would be right behind them. Not quite.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:34 pm

chrisbru wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:I've never done this but just some food for thought:

Tried this with Colorado. They gave me the same "first batch will be processed in January" answer that they included in their acceptance letter.

lame.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 pm

JenDarby wrote:After hearing back so quickly from Iowa, WUSTL, and Illinois, I figured Minnesota would be right behind them. Not quite.

Looks like we've been pretty much cycle twins so far. Surprising since our stats aren't similar at all.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Hannibal wrote:
JenDarby wrote:After hearing back so quickly from Iowa, WUSTL, and Illinois, I figured Minnesota would be right behind them. Not quite.

Looks like we've been pretty much cycle twins so far. Surprising since our stats aren't similar at all.

true story. what's your situation as far as years out of UG? I didn't think it would give me much of a boost, but I figured there was a chance that my 3-4 years our of UG and relevant WE might help a bit. Also, I graduated from UG in two years (dumb) so my GPA was brought down largely by one bad grade. FWIW.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

true story. what's your situation as far as years out of UG? I didn't think it would give me much of a boost, but I figured there was a chance that my 3-4 years our of UG and relevant WE might help a bit. Also, I graduated from UG in two years (dumb) so my GPA was brought down largely by one bad grade. FWIW.

Not saying your stats are worse, rather that you're not so much a splitter. I've got only one year out of UG (aka I graduated in June), but I worked pretty much all my time in UG, did extracurriculars the 9 months or so that I didn't.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:Not saying your stats are worse, rather that you're not so much a splitter. I've got only one year out of UG (aka I graduated in June), but I worked pretty much all my time in UG, did extracurriculars the 9 months or so that I didn't.

I worked full time all through UG also, I really feel like I missed out on the whole "experience" a bit. Oh well. Our GPAs our pretty close, I would think your fantastic LSAT score would make up the difference, and blow me out of the water.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Not saying your stats are worse, rather that you're not so much a splitter. I've got only one year out of UG (aka I graduated in June), but I worked pretty much all my time in UG, did extracurriculars the 9 months or so that I didn't.

I worked full time all through UG also, I really feel like I missed out on the whole "experience" a bit. Oh well. Our GPAs our pretty close, I would think your fantastic LSAT score would make up the difference, and blow me out of the water.

It probably helps that your WE is relevant. Mine is relevant that if the firm ever needs a lawyer to make a ton of boxes, deliver newspapers, or make coffee, I'll be a great asset.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Hannibal wrote:It probably helps that your WE is relevant. Mine is relevant that if the firm ever needs a lawyer to make a ton of boxes, deliver newspapers, or make coffee, I'll be a great asset.

hah, well it will be nice to have someone with such a similar cycle to compare with when it comes time to making decisions!

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Dear Minnesota,

It's been almost a month since I've heard from you. And even then, I first wrote to you more than a month before that. I know this is a hard job. Trust me, I know. But, I love you and streamlined my application with that love in mind. I'm not a splitter, I have a good LSAT score, and supplied you with a very nice, standard 2-page essay, all to make your job easier. I've even gone parka shopping to prepare me for those beautifully harsh Minnesota winters. So, baby, I'm not even asking for a phone call - maybe just an e-mail, or a status update - anything so I know you haven't forgotten about...us.

I love you and I'll wait for you. But not if you keep me waiting till March. Besides, I'm expecting a call from Indiana, and I hear she's loaded.

chip3341

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”