Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PomasThynchon

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PomasThynchon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 am

Looks like lots of decisions have come out! Makes me feel silly for waiting until 12/27 to apply (though I'm complete as of two days ago!) Minnesota is actually one of my top choices, the awesomeness of the Twin Cities being one of many reasons. The predictor had me as a "strong consider," for what it's worth, though I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

What I'm really saying is, a lot of schools say 10-12 weeks from completion to get a decision, but it seems like there have been some deviations (on law school numbers I think there were some accepted within 4-6 weeks of going complete). Is the 10-12 week rule generally something that applies more heavily earlier in the cycle, or are you just as likely to wait 10 weeks if you applied now? Part of me just wishes I didn't (according to the time frames in the emails schools are sending me, at least) have to wait until late March to know. Part of me wishes that I had applied a little earlier, but as a friend pointed out, since I'm not really an auto-admit anywhere I applied (except two places according to the predictor, but I don't want to jinx myself), people like me get deferred and re-reviewed around mid-January anyway.

What's the best cure for monomania? Someone needs to lock me in a room with no computers or phones with a stack of the books I've been meaning to read.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:Uptown is pretty awesome, but might prove to be a bit distracting with all its bright shiny lights. Sorry, I can't give any further advice because I live in a South Minneapolis house with a friend of mine and I pay $500/mo. for rent (but it's a pretty arbitrary/good amt. considering I know her.) If you have a car, try looking further away from Uptown/Downtown for cheaper rent

edit: it's her house/she's paying it off

Are you able to park for free/decently cheap by the law school?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Uptown is pretty awesome, but might prove to be a bit distracting with all its bright shiny lights. Sorry, I can't give any further advice because I live in a South Minneapolis house with a friend of mine and I pay $500/mo. for rent (but it's a pretty arbitrary/good amt. considering I know her.) If you have a car, try looking further away from Uptown/Downtown for cheaper rent

I am just chatting with my coworker (a U of M UG graduate) and she said that monthly parking is as follows: lots $65, ramps $100, and garages $130 (per month.) However it works as a lottery and she thinks only about 1/3 of students get it. She also said that it's automatically renewable for grad students once you get a spot. There are also off-campus ramps for cheaper rates advertised around town.

On-campus parking doesn't guarantee you a particular area, though, and the campus is big. Like, you might have to park at a TCF Stadium lot even though the LS is on the West Bank so you might have to walk 25 min. But I would think the Law School would have better info than me so you should email them.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Hypothetically even those who get a full-ride aren't guaranteed parking? Or do they not have to participate in the lottery?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:22 pm

framboozer wrote:Hypothetically even those who get a full-ride aren't guaranteed parking? Or do they not have to participate in the lottery?

Hmmmm....unless the law school has its own special deal on the side (who knows?) then no, because the info i gave is from a university wide policy. But I just got a full ride scholarship yesterday in the mail and they offered me like the full tuition plus 20,000+ more for "books, laptop, miscellaneous, other" (I can't remember exactly what it was) but it was estimated at 52,000 when tuition alone for me (in state) would only be about 28,000....so if you did get a full ride, you could probably get your hands on a nice parking spot somewhere

edit: or a nice place somewhere close to the school

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:38 pm

By the way - Acceptance phone calls went out on the Thursday of this week last year. Anyone hear anything yet?! I'm suuuuuuper anxious... I've been accepted to WM and St. Thomas already, I just need to hear from the U so I can start making decisions!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm waiting! C'mon UMN!

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:14 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
framboozer wrote:Hypothetically even those who get a full-ride aren't guaranteed parking? Or do they not have to participate in the lottery?

Hmmmm....unless the law school has its own special deal on the side (who knows?) then no, because the info i gave is from a university wide policy. But I just got a full ride scholarship yesterday in the mail and they offered me like the full tuition plus 20,000+ more for "books, laptop, miscellaneous, other" (I can't remember exactly what it was) but it was estimated at 52,000 when tuition alone for me (in state) would only be about 28,000....so if you did get a full ride, you could probably get your hands on a nice parking spot somewhere

HOLY SH!T. Now that's a scholarship!

robb0106

Postby robb0106 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:35 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I am just chatting with my coworker (a U of M UG graduate) and she said that monthly parking is as follows: lots $65, ramps $100, and garages $130 (per month.) However it works as a lottery and she thinks only about 1/3 of students get it. She also said that it's automatically renewable for grad students once you get a spot. There are also off-campus ramps for cheaper rates advertised around town.

On-campus parking doesn't guarantee you a particular area, though, and the campus is big. Like, you might have to park at a TCF Stadium lot even though the LS is on the West Bank so you might have to walk 25 min. But I would think the Law School would have better info than me so you should email them.

Overall, it may be nice to have a car in the cities, but driving to campus might be a bigger headache than it's worth, especially when there are other viable options. When I was an undergrad, I always biked to campus. Cycling is a great way to get around (especially in nice weather), but the bus system is also effective, especially from Uptown (which has a direct route) or Nordeast (which is closer to campus). You could also live on West Bank and walk. West Bank south of Riverside is a really cool neighborhood where I lived as a kid. It gets a bad rep sometimes, but it is cheap, there are great restaurants, cool bars with live music, and there is great mix of culture.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:04 pm

Dear Minnesota,

You've updated my in review date from 11/19 to 12/16 to 12/23 now. It doesn't appear you made any admissions this week. What are you DOING up there? You are still my top choice on days that I'm not love-blinded by the Rocky Mountains, so please just let me know already?!

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

And that is an awesome scholly - seriously congrats!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Howdy howdy howdy! Just joining the madness.

I've been in review since 12/17. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd change.

Should I be thinking ruh-roh right about now?

169 3.6 FYI

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:57 pm

chip3341 wrote:Howdy howdy howdy! Just joining the madness.

169 3.6 FYI

I should hope you would be a sure admit with those numbers...

flourish

Postby flourish » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm in committee review now...anyone know how long I will have to wait in agony?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:52 am

chrisbru wrote:
chip3341 wrote:Howdy howdy howdy! Just joining the madness.

169 3.6 FYI

I should hope you would be a sure admit with those numbers...

Well I can only hope...It's been all quiet on this front since November though...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 am

Sorry one more question! Did y'all get acceptances/denials via phone, e-mail, or snail mail? If by mail, I'm worried I may have missed it. I'm pretty sure our mailman is on drugs or something - mail comes maybe 4 times a week and most of it almost always belongs to someone else.

Pink

Postby Pink » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 am

Via phone call (acceptance). Though my mailman may be on drugs as well, still waiting on my admit packet...

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Updated to IR 1/7 from 12/21. Nice to see some movement.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Still IR 12/23. Hopefully mine updates on 1/11.
On par with kjadkins' schedule :)

AdamAndSteve

Postby AdamAndSteve » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm in South America, but the bf checked my admissions packet for me. The only information I know is that I was offered 22k/año. Dale!!!!

I'm excited for ASW.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 am

No update on my UR date last week... Hopefully that means I'll get a phone call sometime this week. I'm feeling more and more like a waitlist, however.

Inmilex

Postby Inmilex » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:

U of M alumnus here. Mondale Hall is on the fringe of downtown Minneapolis, and parking is in short supply. If you live nearby (you'd be a fool not to), it would be just as cheap to take taxis to and from class.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Got my packet today, 20k/yr scholarship! :)

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 pm

So it's January 10th and I've been "In Review" since 12/17. Is this normal? I should be pretty close to a lock so I'm a little concerned. Would a call/e-mail to admissions be warranted or are they usually this slow after review? I did take the December LSAT but obviously have already been looked at...

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 pm

chip3341 wrote:So it's January 10th and I've been "In Review" since 12/17. Is this normal? I should be pretty close to a lock so I'm a little concerned. Would a call/e-mail to admissions be warranted or are they usually this slow after review? I did take the December LSAT but obviously have already been looked at...

Also IR since 12/17...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”