Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:May I ask what made you withdraw?

UMN didnt make too much sense for me. I'm from the South, and while UMN touts its "national" appeal - that isnt going to get me into the east or the west coast and anyone thinking of UMN for this aforementioned National appeal needs to seriously consider what it means and your chances of having their limited national reach even come into play. I dont want to be stuck in the Midwest. UMN gets insanely cold. I felt more at home at UGA and while Minneapolis is a nice place Athens is a better place for me for school.

athenian

Postby athenian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Sandro wrote:

UMN didnt make too much sense for me. I'm from the South, and while UMN touts its "national" appeal - that isnt going to get me into the east or the west coast and anyone thinking of UMN for this aforementioned National appeal needs to seriously consider what it means and your chances of having their limited national reach even come into play. I dont want to be stuck in the Midwest. UMN gets insanely cold. I felt more at home at UGA and while Minneapolis is a nice place Athens is a better place for me for school.

Just to provide a healthy counterpoint.

I'm originally from the South. In fact, Sandro will soon be attending school in the town I've called home for 23 years.

I'm choosing Minnesota because a change of scenery, however cold, will be something interesting and exciting for me. Moreover, Minneapolis is a place I wouldn't mind being cold in. I'm also attending because of Minnesota's "national" appeal. I know that Minnesota's reach outside of the Midwest is limited. I know that a Minnesota degree won't "get" me a job on either coast. I'm entering Minnesota with a full understanding of these limitations. I know that any job I hope to obtain outside of the Midwest will hinge upon stellar grades and my perserverence when it comes to networking, interviewing, and pimping myself out to employers on the West Coast.

I also know that if I don't land my dream job out in California, that I'll still have a diploma that carries significant weight in the Twin Cities and has a strong name value in the Midwest. I also know that if I'm sick and tired of the blistering cold after 3 years, I can always go home on the strong connections I have back in Atlanta.

At the end of the day, I felt that Minnesota would give me more opportunities than UGA would. Maybe it's because I already have an "in" in Atlanta. I'm not sure. I do know that both schools are incredibly good, but will require you to put in a lot of the legwork if you want "national" mobility.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm

athenian wrote:
At the end of the day, I felt that Minnesota would give me more opportunities than UGA would. Maybe it's because I already have an "in" in Atlanta. I'm not sure. I do know that both schools are incredibly good, but will require you to put in a lot of the legwork if you want "national" mobility.

This. While both good schools, both are very regional. Neither one will help you get a job outside of their local market... However, both degrees provide the ability to be hired wherever you can make connections.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:19 pm

athenian wrote:
Sandro wrote:

Just to provide a healthy counterpoint.

I'm originally from the South. In fact, Sandro will soon be attending school in the town I've called home for 23 years.

I'm choosing Minnesota because a change of scenery, however cold, will be something interesting and exciting for me. Moreover, Minneapolis is a place I wouldn't mind being cold in. I'm also attending because of Minnesota's "national" appeal. I know that Minnesota's reach outside of the Midwest is limited. I know that a Minnesota degree won't "get" me a job on either coast. I'm entering Minnesota with a full understanding of these limitations. I know that any job I hope to obtain outside of the Midwest will hinge upon stellar grades and my perserverence when it comes to networking, interviewing, and pimping myself out to employers on the West Coast.

I also know that if I don't land my dream job out in California, that I'll still have a diploma that carries significant weight in the Twin Cities and has a strong name value in the Midwest. I also know that if I'm sick and tired of the blistering cold after 3 years, I can always go home on the strong connections I have back in Atlanta.

Its all about choice. You chose to have Minneapolis as your school market with GA as your home market. I chose UGA to solidify GA/ATL as my school market with FL as my home market. You summed it up very well, I think. At both schools you need top grades to compete for biglaw and at both schools you need tip top grades to move out of their market into a market you dont have ties to. You arent landing too much at median outside each school's perspective regions unless you have sig. ties to another region.

Valhalla_Valkyrie

Postby Valhalla_Valkyrie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. I just saw that several people have withdrawn and had a brief twinge of guilt re: my rant about our weather. (And, if I may, I have also have to agree that Athens is a great town!)

tryster0

Postby tryster0 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:01 pm

does anyone know offhand what the chances of getting off the waitlist are?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Probably highest after the first seat deposit date passes; predicting chances is worthless until that deadline.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:29 pm

tryster0 wrote:does anyone know offhand what the chances of getting off the waitlist are?

Based on what I've read, what I've heard from admissions officers, and what I've heard from students who have been accepted off waitlists, the students who get off are the ones who visit the school, write an LOCI, and keep in touch. I met a couple of admissions officers who told me they note it on the file that I visited. I also met a student who was accepted off a waitlist, and he told me that he emailed or called once a week until he was accepted, which I believe took several months. He also said that in his LOCI he used language such as "if given an offer of admission I would immediately accept."

This probably depends on the school as to whether the emails work or are annoying, so you'd want to see what they said about whether or not you may contact them. The LOCI and visit seem to be essential at any school if you want a shot of getting off the waitlist, unless the waitlist is ranked, and I don't know who does that.

I said this all generally because I don't know how UMN's waitlist works at all. I hope it helps.

tryster0

Postby tryster0 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
tryster0 wrote:does anyone know offhand what the chances of getting off the waitlist are?

Based on what I've read, what I've heard from admissions officers, and what I've heard from students who have been accepted off waitlists, the students who get off are the ones who visit the school, write an LOCI, and keep in touch. I met a couple of admissions officers who told me they note it on the file that I visited. I also met a student who was accepted off a waitlist, and he told me that he emailed or called once a week until he was accepted, which I believe took several months. He also said that in his LOCI he used language such as "if given an offer of admission I would immediately accept."

This probably depends on the school as to whether the emails work or are annoying, so you'd want to see what they said about whether or not you may contact them. The LOCI and visit seem to be essential at any school if you want a shot of getting off the waitlist, unless the waitlist is ranked, and I don't know who does that.

I said this all generally because I don't know how UMN's waitlist works at all. I hope it helps.

thanks for that. that was actually pretty informative. i've sent in the LOCI already with me saying that I would definitely attend if accepted. i dont know if i can afford a trip to minneapolis right now but from what you're telling me, i might just want to bite the bullet and go. couldn't hurt, i suppose.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

tryster0 wrote:
thanks for that. that was actually pretty informative. i've sent in the LOCI already with me saying that I would definitely attend if accepted. i dont know if i can afford a trip to minneapolis right now but from what you're telling me, i might just want to bite the bullet and go. couldn't hurt, i suppose.

After your visit you could even write an additional LOCI about how much you enjoyed your visit. Thats a variant on what I did with my scholarship negotiation letters (visited first, then wrote about how much I loved it and how I'd love to attend but couldn't without more $$).

tryster0

Postby tryster0 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:36 am

kjadkins wrote:
tryster0 wrote:

After your visit you could even write an additional LOCI about how much you enjoyed your visit. Thats a variant on what I did with my scholarship negotiation letters (visited first, then wrote about how much I loved it and how I'd love to attend but couldn't without more $$).

did it work? did you get more $$? if so, done.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:01 am

tryster0 wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
tryster0 wrote:

did it work? did you get more $$? if so, done.

Yep, it worked. W&M gave me $6k extra (up to $10k from $4k) and Alabama lowered my stip. to top 50% from top 40% (I didn't ask for more $, just a change in the stipulation).

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:50 am

I know I'm not going, but I'm so scared to withdraw because of my scholly. I'll probably work up the nerve in the next day or so since the deadline is on Friday. I hope one of you guys get my money!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am

Gotti wrote:I know I'm not going, but I'm so scared to withdraw because of my scholly. I'll probably work up the nerve in the next day or so since the deadline is on Friday. I hope one of you guys get my money!

I'm just letting my scholarship time out. I will be withdrawing on Friday by not paying my deposit.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:17 am

I think these people lost my app. Still in review since 2/3. I don't even care about the decision now.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:24 am

LSATclincher wrote:I think these people lost my app. Still in review since 2/3. I don't even care about the decision now.

That sucks, I'm sorry. How is this possible if first deposit is tomorrow?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm

The first deposit is due April 8th only for those already accepted to Minnesota. If accepted later, then the deposit due date will be later.

jwjbaek

Postby jwjbaek » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I think these people lost my app. Still in review since 2/3. I don't even care about the decision now.

lol +1

sterl1002

Postby sterl1002 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 am

Anyone know how long after your second UR date you can typically expect a decision? I went complete on 2/14, UR on 3/30, and now UR on today (4/8).

Thanks!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 pm

just withdrew. freed up $84k, hope one of you get it!

coreno16

Postby coreno16 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Withdrawing today. I really really would have liked UMN and Minneapolis but 66k isn't enough $$ given my financial situation and other offers. GL to those still waiting, hope you get my cash.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 pm

Last edited by kublaikahn on Tue May 17, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:24 am

I didn't deposit, so there's another 66k not accepted. Good luck to everyone who really wants Minnesota!!

MST3K

Postby MST3K » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 pm

JenDarby wrote:I didn't deposit, so there's another 66k not accepted. Good luck to everyone who really wants Minnesota!!

+1, except for me it was $60k. Good luck y'all.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:12 pm

lol this thread has become the thread of people who withdrew or didn't deposit at Minnesota. Skol Gophers!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”