Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sparcarc
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby sparcarc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 pm

So driving to classes probably wouldn't be a good idea / feasible / practical option, right? I know how cold it can be in MN.. just had a fantasy about being able to drive to classes.

Do you know how expensive the parking might be in Twin Cities, in an apartment or a dorm?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:56 pm

sparcarc wrote:So driving to classes probably wouldn't be a good idea / feasible / practical option, right? I know how cold it can be in MN.. just had a fantasy about being able to drive to classes.

Do you know how expensive the parking might be in Twin Cities, in an apartment or a dorm?


Parking at all of the apartments I looked at when I was in MN was $60-$90 per spot per month.

Driving to classes is probably feasible, you just will have to pay to park. The good thing is that the law school is on West Bank, so you're not fighting undergrads for parking.

I, personally, would NEVER live in Dinkytown as a grad student... But that's just me.

MST3K
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby MST3K » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:14 pm

How hard is it to find a place with a garage? I've got a motorcycle that needs to be garaged.. screw my car haha.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PinkCow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 pm

MST3K wrote:How hard is it to find a place with a garage? I've got a motorcycle that needs to be garaged.. screw my car haha.



Blatant anti-car trolling.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 pm

chrisbru wrote:
sparcarc wrote:So driving to classes probably wouldn't be a good idea / feasible / practical option, right? I know how cold it can be in MN.. just had a fantasy about being able to drive to classes.

Do you know how expensive the parking might be in Twin Cities, in an apartment or a dorm?


Parking at all of the apartments I looked at when I was in MN was $60-$90 per spot per month.

Driving to classes is probably feasible, you just will have to pay to park. The good thing is that the law school is on West Bank, so you're not fighting undergrads for parking.

I, personally, would NEVER live in Dinkytown as a grad student... But that's just me.


Why not? Too much partying? I saw a couple places on the east bank of the river that seemed nice... but the Warehouse District is also pretty attractive. This is all on paper though. Visiting next weekend for the first time.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 pm

geoduck wrote:I, personally, would NEVER live in Dinkytown as a grad student... But that's just me.


Why not? Too much partying? I saw a couple places on the east bank of the river that seemed nice... but the Warehouse District is also pretty attractive. This is all on paper though. Visiting next weekend for the first time.[/quote]

Too much partying isn't an issue for me... I prefer that, actually. But Dinkytown is so YOUNG, and overcrowded. I just lived in a condensed undergrad farm once, I wouldn't want to do it again.

Warehouse district looks nice on paper... But it has a few years to go. It's nice in its containment, but is surrounded by more "sketch" areas. I thought it was fine, but my girlfriend doesn't like to walk around by herself past dinner by there.

The really great parts of Minneapolis are found in Uptown, St. Paul, and the western part of downtown. Buses are pretty good in the TC, so you can really live in any of those and get to school without a problem.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 pm

chrisbru wrote:Too much partying isn't an issue for me... I prefer that, actually. But Dinkytown is so YOUNG, and overcrowded. I just lived in a condensed undergrad farm once, I wouldn't want to do it again.

Warehouse district looks nice on paper... But it has a few years to go. It's nice in its containment, but is surrounded by more "sketch" areas. I thought it was fine, but my girlfriend doesn't like to walk around by herself past dinner by there.

The really great parts of Minneapolis are found in Uptown, St. Paul, and the western part of downtown. Buses are pretty good in the TC, so you can really live in any of those and get to school without a problem.


How sketch is it, really? Just curious. I mean, I know every city has some sketchiness, but after spending time in south/east LA, even the sketchy parts of Seattle make me giggle. Is it sketchy like there are people sleeping on the streets and asking for money or is it sketchy like I could actually get stabbed/shot for my shoes?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm

geoduck wrote:How sketch is it, really? Just curious. I mean, I know every city has some sketchiness, but after spending time in south/east LA, even the sketchy parts of Seattle make me giggle. Is it sketchy like there are people sleeping on the streets and asking for money or is it sketchy like I could actually get stabbed/shot for my shoes?


Wait, sketchy parts of Seattle? After spending a LOT of time in both, I'd say that Minneapolis is comparable to Seattle, for the most part. It's not violent crime ridden, that's for sure. Although, in my opinion, warehouse district is the same price as downtown and uptown... So I'd rather spend the same money and live in a nicer part of town. Also, Warehouse District doesn't really have many restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. close by. Uptown and downtown, on the other hand, have all you could ever want within walking distance.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Sandro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm

geoduck wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Too much partying isn't an issue for me... I prefer that, actually. But Dinkytown is so YOUNG, and overcrowded. I just lived in a condensed undergrad farm once, I wouldn't want to do it again.

Warehouse district looks nice on paper... But it has a few years to go. It's nice in its containment, but is surrounded by more "sketch" areas. I thought it was fine, but my girlfriend doesn't like to walk around by herself past dinner by there.

The really great parts of Minneapolis are found in Uptown, St. Paul, and the western part of downtown. Buses are pretty good in the TC, so you can really live in any of those and get to school without a problem.


How sketch is it, really? Just curious. I mean, I know every city has some sketchiness, but after spending time in south/east LA, even the sketchy parts of Seattle make me giggle. Is it sketchy like there are people sleeping on the streets and asking for money or is it sketchy like I could actually get stabbed/shot for my shoes?


Like, highest concentration of Section 8 housing in the Southeast where i lived and felt perfectly safe, or sketch as in.... MIDDLE CLASS AMERICA ??? :shock:

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:
geoduck wrote:How sketch is it, really? Just curious. I mean, I know every city has some sketchiness, but after spending time in south/east LA, even the sketchy parts of Seattle make me giggle. Is it sketchy like there are people sleeping on the streets and asking for money or is it sketchy like I could actually get stabbed/shot for my shoes?


Wait, sketchy parts of Seattle? After spending a LOT of time in both, I'd say that Minneapolis is comparable to Seattle, for the most part. It's not violent crime ridden, that's for sure. Although, in my opinion, warehouse district is the same price as downtown and uptown... So I'd rather spend the same money and live in a nicer part of town. Also, Warehouse District doesn't really have many restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc. close by. Uptown and downtown, on the other hand, have all you could ever want within walking distance.


Yeah the sketchy parts of Seattle like South Park, bits of Pioneer Square and Chinatown (at night only), parts of Beacon Hill. Good to know that downtown's not really much more expensive though. I like being in the heart of the city.

EDIT: For example, do women actually get cat calls and lewd comments in the "sketchy" areas, or is your girlfriend just uncomfortable with the number of hobos?

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:37 pm

geoduck wrote:
Yeah the sketchy parts of Seattle like South Park, bits of Pioneer Square and Chinatown (at night only), parts of Beacon Hill. Good to know that downtown's not really much more expensive though. I like being in the heart of the city.

EDIT: For example, do women actually get cat calls and lewd comments in the "sketchy" areas, or is your girlfriend just uncomfortable with the number of hobos?


I'd liken it to Pioneer Square mostly. It's just very inner city (for the Midwest.) Not even low-income housing, but abandoned buildings, run down buildings, etc.

The gf said she would get lewd comments once in a while, but those were more from the men outside the prominent gay bar scene that exists between the WD and downtown than the hobos. It's more just kind of empty, so she didn't feel like she'd have anywhere to turn if something WERE to happen.

Keep in mind, she grew up in collegetown Iowa, so she's not predisposed to situations like that. It's definitely not dangerous by any means, just a little rundown. I totally expect Warehouse District to blow up in the next 5-10 years, so if you're looking to buy a place and STAY in Minneapolis, it's a good investment possibility.

As for amenities... I LOVE Uptown. The cool thing is that there are two movies theaters, a couple grocery stores, some drug stores, gas stations, shopping, a diverse selections of bars and restaurants, parks, and a sweet lake... All within a mile of pretty much every Uptown apartment. If you like walking to do as many of your errands as possible, and don't mind taking a bus to class (express bus from uptown hub to UM West Bank is ~15 minute ride during the times you'd be riding), it's the perfect place.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Yeah the sketchy parts of Seattle like South Park, bits of Pioneer Square and Chinatown (at night only), parts of Beacon Hill. Good to know that downtown's not really much more expensive though. I like being in the heart of the city.

EDIT: For example, do women actually get cat calls and lewd comments in the "sketchy" areas, or is your girlfriend just uncomfortable with the number of hobos?


I'd liken it to Pioneer Square mostly. It's just very inner city (for the Midwest.) Not even low-income housing, but abandoned buildings, run down buildings, etc.

The gf said she would get lewd comments once in a while, but those were more from the men outside the prominent gay bar scene that exists between the WD and downtown than the hobos. It's more just kind of empty, so she didn't feel like she'd have anywhere to turn if something WERE to happen.

Keep in mind, she grew up in collegetown Iowa, so she's not predisposed to situations like that. It's definitely not dangerous by any means, just a little rundown. I totally expect Warehouse District to blow up in the next 5-10 years, so if you're looking to buy a place and STAY in Minneapolis, it's a good investment possibility.

As for amenities... I LOVE Uptown. The cool thing is that there are two movies theaters, a couple grocery stores, some drug stores, gas stations, shopping, a diverse selections of bars and restaurants, parks, and a sweet lake... All within a mile of pretty much every Uptown apartment. If you like walking to do as many of your errands as possible, and don't mind taking a bus to class (express bus from uptown hub to UM West Bank is ~15 minute ride during the times you'd be riding), it's the perfect place.


Wow that sounds pretty good. I'll be sure to check out uptown! Yeah I've got my eye out for decent property if we decide to stay. From what I've read, the Warehouse district sounds like it's red hot for gentrification and the ensuing property price raises.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey guys I am trying to write a LOCI to Minn. I took 8 units and got a 4.0 during my last semester. Should i send the updated transcripts directly to Minn, or should i do it through LSAC?

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:59 pm

gothamm wrote:Hey guys I am trying to write a LOCI to Minn. I took 8 units and got a 4.0 during my last semester. Should i send the updated transcripts directly to Minn, or should i do it through LSAC?


I had a similar question for UMN, and they told me to have everything sent through LSAC.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:08 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
gothamm wrote:Hey guys I am trying to write a LOCI to Minn. I took 8 units and got a 4.0 during my last semester. Should i send the updated transcripts directly to Minn, or should i do it through LSAC?


I had a similar question for UMN, and they told me to have everything sent through LSAC.


Cool. How did you go about doing this? Just send it to LSAC and they automatically send updated version to ALL the schools to which one has applied?

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby kjadkins » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

gothamm wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
gothamm wrote:Hey guys I am trying to write a LOCI to Minn. I took 8 units and got a 4.0 during my last semester. Should i send the updated transcripts directly to Minn, or should i do it through LSAC?


I had a similar question for UMN, and they told me to have everything sent through LSAC.


Cool. How did you go about doing this? Just send it to LSAC and they automatically send updated version to ALL the schools to which one has applied?


Yep. That's exactly what I did.

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:57 pm

kjadkins wrote:
gothamm wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
gothamm wrote:Hey guys I am trying to write a LOCI to Minn. I took 8 units and got a 4.0 during my last semester. Should i send the updated transcripts directly to Minn, or should i do it through LSAC?


I had a similar question for UMN, and they told me to have everything sent through LSAC.


Cool. How did you go about doing this? Just send it to LSAC and they automatically send updated version to ALL the schools to which one has applied?


Yep. That's exactly what I did.

User avatar
coreno16
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby coreno16 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Really Really Really wish UMN negotiated scholly's. The $200 a month loan savings after graduation from my UIUC and WUSTL offers is hard to turn down. I've heard Minneapolis is an unreal city. Going to come down to my ASD experience next weekend I suppose.

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby fakemoney » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Ugh, wish I could do the ASD... but bills/job/annoyances stopping me :x

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby kkklick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Rejected via e-mail.

tinlawman
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby tinlawman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

How busy are we going to be in law school? Will we be able to go to football and basketball games and things like that? Does anyone know whether law students can get student tickets for athletic events?

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby fakemoney » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 pm

tinlawman wrote:How busy are we going to be in law school? Will we be able to go to football and basketball games and things like that? Does anyone know whether law students can get student tickets for athletic events?


I'm sure there has to be some leisure time. No idea about how tickets work. I'd imagine there's probably a lower rate for students/grad students.

please...
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby please... » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Anyone else still sitting on a 2/15 IR date??? I'm starting to think that this can't be a good thing...

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby LSATclincher » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm ur since 2/3. I'm starting to think WL.

btnyegurl
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby btnyegurl » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:39 pm

LSATclincher wrote:I'm ur since 2/3. I'm starting to think WL.


I'm not sure what to think, I've been ur since 2/20




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu and 17 guests