Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
minnbills

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Sandro wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Sandro wrote:if you have a 167+ you should get $$$, and they dont say over the phone (unless you ask and not sure even then). It will be in your packet you will receive next week or so.

Really? I thought (generally) you needed a 167 just to get in?

167 and below 25% GPA = 20k per year for myself and most others.

Good news for me I guess.

Looking at LSN it just seems like getting to the 167 threshold is the standard for admissions. I'm surprised I guess.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:33 pm

minnbills wrote:
Sandro wrote:if you have a 167+ you should get $$$, and they dont say over the phone (unless you ask and not sure even then). It will be in your packet you will receive next week or so.

Where'd you get that? The 25-75 is 160-168. People get in with 158s. I'm a 169 and I got offered $$$$

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

geoduck wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Where'd you get that? The 25-75 is 160-168. People get in with 158s. I'm a 169 and I got offered $$$$

Just off of LSN.

Looking at the 25-75 has been a point of confusion for me, unless most of the the people coming in below the 167 threshold are reverse splitters/URMs/ significant work experience candidates.

http://minnesota.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:53 pm

minnbills wrote:
geoduck wrote:
minnbills wrote:

Just off of LSN.
Looking at the 25-75 has been a point of confusion for me, unless most of the the people coming in below the 167 threshold are reverse splitters/URMs/ significant work experience candidates.
http://minnesota.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

LSN is a good resource but a very poor source. It's self selecting and those who join are generally high achievers in one way or another (or want to be). It fails basic sampling requirements for any good statistics generation. So yes, lots of people with good stats are being rejected or wait listed. Probably three times as many are being wait listed or rejected with poor stats. But that acceptance chart is missing a large chunk of it's mid to lower end, as proven by the ABA data.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm

I understand that it's a poor sampling size- but the graph is so stratified that I have a hard time believing the complete picture is much different.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:05 pm

minnbills wrote:I understand that it's a poor sampling size- but the graph is so stratified that I have a hard time believing the complete picture is much different.

The size isn't the problem. The Nielsen ratings for the Seattle DMA of over 2 million people in which I work is caluculated using... About 600 people. The problem is randomization. Those 500 people are extremely random. LSN users are ridiculously not random. You get some good data off of it, but no reliable conclusions. If you want proof, go look at this years cycle for the University of Washington.

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:05 pm

I just got my fourth UR date. 2/3, 2/23/, 3/14, and now 3/17. What is going on with my app? Congrats to everyone else.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Sicsofs wrote:I just got my fourth UR date. 2/3, 2/23/, 3/14, and now 3/17. What is going on with my app? Congrats to everyone else.

No news is good news... At least you haven't been WL'd/denied.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi, I just wanted to know if I should have been told of scholly info on my acceptance call. I have been trying to get in touch with the admission office, but just get the voicemail and feel like leaving such a voicemail is kind of an uncool move.

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 pm

No, the scholarship information comes in the package in the mail, which arrived a couple days after I received the phone call.

athenian

Postby athenian » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Anybody looking for roommates yet? I'm hoping that I'm not to late on starting the housing search.

MST3K

Postby MST3K » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:33 pm

I really want to rent a place with a garage but it seems very rare.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:06 pm

If I go to Minny, I'm not sure whether I'm gonna try to get my own place or seek out roommates. Guess I'm pretty open to different options. Speaking of housing...

General question to all: How far in advance to the start of school do you think you need to start trying to get set-up with housing?

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:15 pm

When I visited two weeks ago, it seemed like a lot of places around UM already were full- and if not full, getting there. It's easier to get a place the further away you are from the school.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:16 pm

fakemoney wrote:If I go to Minny, I'm not sure whether I'm gonna try to get my own place or seek out roommates. Guess I'm pretty open to different options. Speaking of housing...

General question to all: How far in advance to the start of school do you think you need to start trying to get set-up with housing?

I would like to get there a month before. I really plan on competing as best as I can, and I don't want things like finding the supermarket or barber shop to mess waste too much time. I'd be looking for roommates too. I'm waiting on my scholarship package, if existent, to decide about LS. I know UMN is t-20, but I get the vibe ND and Emory place better.

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:54 pm

tropicalpeach wrote:When I visited two weeks ago, it seemed like a lot of places around UM already were full- and if not full, getting there. It's easier to get a place the further away you are from the school.

Do you mean people are already living there or do you mean they have already been reserved starting in July or August or whatever?

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Already reserved. I found a couple great options close by, so it's nothing to stress about. There are two buildings being built right now and every unit is already leased, which I find weird. Lots of studios are taken, but bigger buildings are open. But if you look for housing outside of dinkytown, you're totally fine. There's tons.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
fakemoney wrote:If I go to Minny, I'm not sure whether I'm gonna try to get my own place or seek out roommates. Guess I'm pretty open to different options. Speaking of housing...

I would like to get there a month before. I really plan on competing as best as I can, and I don't want things like finding the supermarket or barber shop to mess waste too much time. I'd be looking for roommates too. I'm waiting on my scholarship package, if existent, to decide about LS. I know UMN is t-20, but I get the vibe ND and Emory place better.

You think Emory places better? You don't read Above The Law do you?

--LinkRemoved--

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:27 pm

I graduate at the beginning of May and my lease ends May 16 anyway, so I'm moving straight to Minneapolis after graduation if that's where I end up going.

I'm mostly concerned that if I keep putting off waiting for decisions for Cornell and Columbia that I won't leave enough time to find a decent place to move in by May. But I also want to keep my options open as long as possible.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:35 pm

My deal is that I want to stay on a waitlist as close to the bitter end as possible. Just as long as I can find a place that isn't a complete dump reasonably close to the school, I'll be satisfied. I'm hoping it would be feasible for me to start looking early-mid July and have a place lined up by the time school starts.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Hey did anybody who was accepted ED get a scholarship?

EDIT: Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet? I haven't seen anything in the thread.
Last edited by minnbills on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:19 pm

fakemoney wrote:My deal is that I want to stay on a waitlist as close to the bitter end as possible. Just as long as I can find a place that isn't a complete dump reasonably close to the school, I'll be satisfied. I'm hoping it would be feasible for me to start looking early-mid July and have a place lined up by the time school starts.

I'm sure you can ask admissions for some help with this, and they'll hook u up with other students if you're accepted. They will try to make life easier for you.

sparcarc

Postby sparcarc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:59 am

Does anyone know if I would need a car or if having a car would be 'greatly beneficial' in Twin Cities? I did fine without a car in college but parking was so expensive in undergrad. Basically it was a hassle to have a car, and a great inconvenience not to have one. Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thank you!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:30 pm

sparcarc wrote:Does anyone know if I would need a car or if having a car would be 'greatly beneficial' in Twin Cities? I did fine without a car in college but parking was so expensive in undergrad. Basically it was a hassle to have a car, and a great inconvenience not to have one. Any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thank you!

+1

I got rid of my car when I moved to downtown Seattle. I can't imagine that public transit is any less efficient in the Twin Cities... should I be fine on bike and bus (assuming I get proper winter riding gear)?

Valhalla_Valkyrie

Postby Valhalla_Valkyrie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 pm

It depends on where you live. Mass transit to/from Dinkytown is great with the buses and the light rail, which takes you as far south as the airport and MoA. Getting to/from Costco or Lund's with groceries, etc., is obviously much easier with a car. Don't ride your bike in the winter; every year there's a local news story about cyclists vs drivers in downtown Minneapolis for the 5-6 months we have snow on the ground. Just take the bus.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”