Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Valhalla_Valkyrie

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Valhalla_Valkyrie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:58 pm

And Minnesota winters aren't for the faint of heart. Yes, there are plenty of plows, salt trucks, and sky ways, but you will have to go outside at some point or another in 20-below with a wind-chill of "Odin only knows."

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:I completely agree with your rationale JJDancer, I just think it's bad form for someone to say, in so many words that a school is basically just their safety and they dislike the region it is in while other posters are worried about getting into their top choice. We are all at different points in our lives, have different credentials, family situations, regional preferences. One person's dream school might very well be another person's safety, and bitterness can be the sort of elephant in the room. I just think we need to manage our tone/how we phrase things.

I understand.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

How long do people stay in review? It took me a month to finish processing and I've only been IR since Friday -- so maybe I'll know in another month?

purplebulldogs

Postby purplebulldogs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:Chris, to answer your earlier question, you can be taken or not taken off the waitlist anytime between now and when classes start. So, to protect your full-ride at St. Thomas, I'd advise putting down your deposit when it's due as your own little insurance policy.

so schools are used to losing a few admitted students because they got taken off of another school's WL after they've put down seat deposits, right? obviously the deposits are nonrefundable, but if you put one down and end up not attending, it's not considered a dick move, is it? as in, it's somewhat common?

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:31 pm

purplebulldogs wrote:
Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:Chris, to answer your earlier question, you can be taken or not taken off the waitlist anytime between now and when classes start. So, to protect your full-ride at St. Thomas, I'd advise putting down your deposit when it's due as your own little insurance policy.

so schools are used to losing a few admitted students because they got taken off of another school's WL after they've put down seat deposits, right? obviously the deposits are nonrefundable, but if you put one down and end up not attending, it's not considered a dick move, is it? as in, it's somewhat common?

I don't think it's "common" but it does happen. That's why waitlists exist. It's not a "dick move" at all. I would consider putting down a deposit at two different schools a "dick move" but I can understand the rationale. Some schools allow it and some don't. I know UMN doesn't allow you to put down a second deposit at their school if you have put down a second deposit at another school. That's the only acceptance I've gotten, so I only know that UMN has that policy, however I imagine most schools have a similar policy.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:46 pm

tinlawman wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:

I don't think it's "common" but it does happen. That's why waitlists exist. It's not a "dick move" at all. I would consider putting down a deposit at two different schools a "dick move" but I can understand the rationale. Some schools allow it and some don't. I know UMN doesn't allow you to put down a second deposit at their school if you have put down a second deposit at another school. That's the only acceptance I've gotten, so I only know that UMN has that policy, however I imagine most schools have a similar policy.

Second deposit dates are much more reasonable, however. For instance, I can't commit 100% to a school until my gf knows where she gets accepted for Physical Therapy school... Which may not be until mid May.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 pm

cinephile wrote:How long do people stay in review? It took me a month to finish processing and I've only been IR since Friday -- so maybe I'll know in another month?

I was only IR like two and a half weeks.

nihil1315

Postby nihil1315 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Got the packet in the mail, $20k/ year....and I was happy just to be accepted! I saw that somebody asked earlier, but I don't think it got answered: does anyone know if it's possible to become a resident after the first year? If I did qualify for in-state tuition, would that affect the amount of the scholarship that I got?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm

nihil1315 wrote:Got the packet in the mail, $20k/ year....and I was happy just to be accepted! I saw that somebody asked earlier, but I don't think it got answered: does anyone know if it's possible to become a resident after the first year? If I did qualify for in-state tuition, would that affect the amount of the scholarship that I got?

I asked the exact same questions. Lol. Anyone have any idea?

I scoured their website, it said that to get residency that you had to prove that your "primary" reason for being in Minnesota was not educational, but it was on the main school website, so I think that might be primarily for undergrads. It gave a ton of "supporting documents", so I feel like after a year if my SO and I both file taxes in MN, get drivers licenses, etc., I might stand a shot.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

kjadkins wrote:
cinephile wrote:How long do people stay in review? It took me a month to finish processing and I've only been IR since Friday -- so maybe I'll know in another month?

I was only IR like two and a half weeks.

Aaaaagh losing my mind here! I have to read (skim?) like 800 pages for a seminar but I can't concentrate. People have asked me if I'm all right because I'll just stare at my phone like it's a bomb about to explode...but really...I'm just hoping for a Minnesota phone call...get back to me Minnesota so I can do my work!

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm

kjadkins wrote:
nihil1315 wrote:Got the packet in the mail, $20k/ year....and I was happy just to be accepted! I saw that somebody asked earlier, but I don't think it got answered: does anyone know if it's possible to become a resident after the first year? If I did qualify for in-state tuition, would that affect the amount of the scholarship that I got?

I asked the exact same questions. Lol. Anyone have any idea?

I scoured their website, it said that to get residency that you had to prove that your "primary" reason for being in Minnesota was not educational, but it was on the main school website, so I think that might be primarily for undergrads. It gave a ton of "supporting documents", so I feel like after a year if my SO and I both file taxes in MN, get drivers licenses, etc., I might stand a shot.

I think (and this is not based on any knowledge of Minnesota whatsoever) that demonstrating interest in staying in Minnesota may help. I think that it's not just applying for a drivers license and filing taxes. If I got a summer job in Minneapolis, I think that would make a strong case for my interest in staying in Minnesota post-graduation. If that's not convincing enough, maybe a SECOND consecutive summer of working in Minneapolis for in-state my 3L year. Is this deluded thinking or plausible?

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:15 am

How does one go about applying for a Minnesota license anyway? After I've been there for X days of school, I just...do it? My friend at Columbia did that, but different state

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:17 am

PomasThynchon wrote:How does one go about applying for a Minnesota license anyway? After I've been there for X days of school, I just...do it? My friend at Columbia did that, but different state

I think as soon as you have a permanent address to put on it, you can get one. I'm guessing as soon as you get an apartment and move in and everything.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 pm

kjadkins wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:How does one go about applying for a Minnesota license anyway? After I've been there for X days of school, I just...do it? My friend at Columbia did that, but different state

I think as soon as you have a permanent address to put on it, you can get one. I'm guessing as soon as you get an apartment and move in and everything.

Good to know. I want to research this, but I feel like I would jinx myself because I haven't heard back yet (yes I'm superstitious). Let me in...please...

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
kjadkins wrote:

Good to know. I want to research this, but I feel like I would jinx myself because I haven't heard back yet (yes I'm superstitious). Let me in...please...

I would do it as soon as possible since the criteria seems to be whether you were planning on moving to MN if it wasn't for law school. So if you were to get a DL before you even got in, that could help, but then again, I'm not superstitious...I'm only a little stitious.

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

tinlawman wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
kjadkins wrote:

I would do it as soon as possible since the criteria seems to be whether you were planning on moving to MN if it wasn't for law school. So if you were to get a DL before you even got in, that could help, but then again, I'm not superstitious...I'm only a little stitious.

I'm not sure I could feasibly do that as I'm currently finishing up undergrad 1000 miles away
Although I suppose I could spend the summer there if I got in.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:01 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
I'm not sure I could feasibly do that as I'm currently finishing up undergrad 1000 miles away
Although I suppose I could spend the summer there if I got in.

That's what I'm doing. Wherever I end up, I'm planning on moving there in May as soon as I graduate (if I can get an apartment in May) and getting a job for the summer. That way I'll have a permanent address, work, and a DL all before law school even started. It might help the residency bit a little, but I'm mostly doing it because I feel like I'm going to need time to get acquainted to a new city before I dive in to full-time classes.

GoldenGopherHopeful

Postby GoldenGopherHopeful » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

All of Houston public schools are shutting down tomorrow for a snow day. We're getting three inches (which is extreme weather by Houston standards).

It would be nice to live in a city that doesn't shut down when it gets cold. Please accept me, Minnesota :-)

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:44 pm

There hasn't seemed to be much activity this week in terms of decisions. Usually a lot goes down on Fridays. Let's hope that trend holds true for this week!

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 am

My under review status updated today from "Under Review 1/28/11" to "Under Review 2/4/11." Anybody else??? Hoping this means I might get a decision today!

mss455

Postby mss455 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 am

ladybuglove wrote:My under review status updated today from "Under Review 1/28/11" to "Under Review 2/4/11." Anybody else??? Hoping this means I might get a decision today!

+1

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:38 am

ladybuglove wrote:My under review status updated today from "Under Review 1/28/11" to "Under Review 2/4/11." Anybody else??? Hoping this means I might get a decision today!

+1
Same! Immediately more anxious now!

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

SherlockHolmes wrote:

+1
Same! Immediately more anxious now!

+1. Ahhhh!

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm

eh, I'm not sure if it makes sense to get a new review date then get a decision. If they were about to send a decision, why would they bother changing the review date first? In my mind, the date and decision status should change at the same time.

Just my crackpot two cents...

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Yeah, I hate to bring bad news but I never heard of, or seen, IR change and decision made in the same day for any school. One or the other happens. Just looking at some of your stats it could indicate a WL is coming more so than anything else. Keep us updated.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”