Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Gotti wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess


Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.

Again with this shit??? wtf is wrong with you? Obviously I wanted to have options, and they're good schools. So yeah I got money at UMN and I can use that as leverage. Stop being bitter :roll:


Think of it from my view. I totally get WHY you are doing it... But I'm still allowed to be bitter. I'm riding a waitlist at my top choice school, while you're "leveraging" your offer from the school that you never would have gone to.

purplebulldogs
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby purplebulldogs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess


Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.

Again with this shit??? wtf is wrong with you? Obviously I wanted to have options, and they're good schools. So yeah I got money at UMN and I can use that as leverage. Stop being bitter :roll:


Think of it from my view. I totally get WHY you are doing it... But I'm still allowed to be bitter. I'm riding a waitlist at my top choice school, while you're "leveraging" your offer from the school that you never would have gone to.


stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 pm

purplebulldogs wrote:stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

+1 ... thank you!

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

+1 ... thank you!



Lemma: The farther along in the admissions cycle these threads go, the more bitter and on edge the participants become, especially those either:
a) Waitlisted
b) Still waiting for a decision.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby kjadkins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 pm

PinkCow wrote:Lemma: The farther along in the admissions cycle these threads go, the more bitter and on edge the participants become, especially those either:
a) Waitlisted
b) Still waiting for a decision.


So true. I was soooooo much more bitter about my WL at Georgetown than I was about my rejection at UVA. But the only schools I haven't heard back from are my fault because I didn't apply till mid-December.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 pm

And some of us are too obsessive to be bitter. Our one track mind won't let us rage on anyone else. Can't wait till my cycle is over so I can return to being a fully functional adult.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

+1 ... thank you!


Honestly though, you could be a little more sensitive about this whole thing. Maybe join/start an accepted students thread? I stopped posting I the GW applicants thread when I was accepted. Or post in the GW thread that you'd rather go there. You can't help it if people resent you, but most people here are agonizing over one of their top choices, not posting about leverage.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Bulldogs--I don't know why you're taking sides. Both parties are at fault. One was tactless, the other a little too aggressive. Both of them need to reevaluate what they're posting.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:46 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

+1 ... thank you!


Honestly though, you could be a little more sensitive about this whole thing. Maybe join/start an accepted students thread? I stopped posting I the GW applicants thread when I was accepted. Or post in the GW thread that you'd rather go there. You can't help it if people resent you, but most people here are agonizing over one of their top choices, not posting about leverage.

I guess...but the thread is titled Minnesota 2011, not Minnesota Applicants or whatever.

I wouldn't have reacted so strongly if this wasn't like the FOURTH TIME that he has talked shit to me because I don't want to live in the midwest...on like random threads that had nothing to do with him. ANYWAY i'll take this somewhere else. My bad for the derail

/thread derail

Edit: how was I tactless...? I was having a convo with PinkCow about leverage in the "MINNESOTA 2011" thread lulz. whatevs

User avatar
boozehound
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby boozehound » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:51 pm

All I have to say is its gonna be game on when I get to UMN. I finished two core casebooks already, and I'm practicing my timed essay writing. Seriously folks, get ready for that rough job market now.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Gotti wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote:stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

+1 ... thank you!


Honestly though, you could be a little more sensitive about this whole thing. Maybe join/start an accepted students thread? I stopped posting I the GW applicants thread when I was accepted. Or post in the GW thread that you'd rather go there. You can't help it if people resent you, but most people here are agonizing over one of their top choices, not posting about leverage.

I guess...but the thread is titled Minnesota 2011, not Minnesota Applicants or whatever.

I wouldn't have reacted so strongly if this wasn't like the FOURTH TIME that he has talked shit to me because I don't want to live in the midwest...on like random threads that had nothing to do with him. ANYWAY i'll take this somewhere else. My bad for the derail

/thread derail

Edit: how was I tactless...? I was having a convo with PinkCow about leverage in the "MINNESOTA 2011" thread lulz. whatevs


I don't think anyone called you tactless.

However, if you'd stop hating on the midwest, then maybe I wouldn't "talk shit" to you... Which I don't think I do, I merely defend the midwest. If you don't like it, don't come. I dislike California and the east coast, so I didn't apply to any schools there and don't talk about either of those areas of the country. Minneapolis is an awesome city, and UMN is a great school... And I'd like to keep all biased degrading of the area out of a thread that's supposed to help people make smart decisions about what school is best for them.



As for UMN... Anyone know about movement from the waitlist and when it happens? I would hate to pay a deposit to one (or even two schools) and then get accepted off the waitlist.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess


Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.

Again with this shit??? wtf is wrong with you? Obviously I wanted to have options, and they're good schools. So yeah I got money at UMN and I can use that as leverage. Stop being bitter :roll:


Think of it from my view. I totally get WHY you are doing it... But I'm still allowed to be bitter. I'm riding a waitlist at my top choice school, while you're "leveraging" your offer from the school that you never would have gone to.


I understand your point bro, but in all honesty this is the Minn 2011 thread. To discuss all things associated with Minn...that is admits, dings, WL's, and yes, schollys. Although you may be stressed about being in limbo with your top choice, people have the right to speak freely ITT about Minn. It sucks to hear ppl getting $ from school's that you're trying to barely get into, but such is life. Hit up the vent thread and go wild.

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm

RJ127 wrote:Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.



So...how about that MN weather? I hear it's...cold.

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby fakemoney » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:


As for UMN... Anyone know about movement from the waitlist and when it happens? I would hate to pay a deposit to one (or even two schools) and then get accepted off the waitlist.


You should probably check the past couple years' cycles on LSN and see when WL'ed people reported getting acceptances.

As for me, still IR 1/28. Could be weeks, could be seconds before I find out (more likely the former).

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

PinkCow wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.



So...how about that MN weather? I hear it's...cold.


I was always afraid of MN. My pops went there for business a few years back, and said when he left the hotel to go grab some food (in Jan or Feb), his face literally shut down. That's an entirely DIFFERENT level of cold.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 pm

RJ127 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.



So...how about that MN weather? I hear it's...cold.


I was always afraid of MN. My pops went there for business a few years back, and said when he left the hotel to go grab some food (in Jan or Feb), his face literally shut down. That's an entirely DIFFERENT level of cold.



The cold is definitely not for the weak-bloodflowed... er, something like that. Luckily it's only miserably cold once in a while. The rest of the winter it's really cold, but bearable.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.



So...how about that MN weather? I hear it's...cold.


I was always afraid of MN. My pops went there for business a few years back, and said when he left the hotel to go grab some food (in Jan or Feb), his face literally shut down. That's an entirely DIFFERENT level of cold.



The cold is definitely not for the weak-bloodflowed... er, something like that. Luckily it's only miserably cold once in a while. The rest of the winter it's really cold, but bearable.


I lived in Colorado Springs for a while and when the wind hit it was like nothing I've ever felt before. Like literally shutting down like your dad said. Crazy. Fun fun

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby SherlockHolmes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 pm

I was worried about Minnesota winters when I applied at the end of December... Now I'm sitting in my apartment facing a legitimate blizzard in Missouri. I can't imagine it being any different :roll:

User avatar
Ratchet Jackson
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
RJ127 wrote:Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.



So...how about that MN weather? I hear it's...cold.


I was always afraid of MN. My pops went there for business a few years back, and said when he left the hotel to go grab some food (in Jan or Feb), his face literally shut down. That's an entirely DIFFERENT level of cold.



The cold is definitely not for the weak-bloodflowed... er, something like that. Luckily it's only miserably cold once in a while. The rest of the winter it's really cold, but bearable.


Yeah man I'm from LA where anything below 60 is frostbite. MN weather would mess my whole swagger up

fakemoney
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby fakemoney » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

..
Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chritabug
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby chritabug » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 pm

fakemoney wrote:It's hard to believe anything could be much worse than the weather NYC's been having lately :x


This.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby JJDancer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Not to dig this up again but talking about leveraging is totally ok.

I'm waiting to hear from my top choices and know there are people who would never attend but aren't withdrawing (that bothers me a little) but the people holding on for scholly - come on law school is expensive and I'm not going anywhere without a scholly so I understand.

Also, I'm restricted geographically for family reasons but still applied to Cornell/UMN/UIUC etc (precisely for scholly leveraging/as a back up). I didn't apply to 20/30 schools (or even 15) so it makes me feel better that I'm not holding "As many" spots up.

/defending of that discussion

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

I completely agree with your rationale JJDancer, I just think it's bad form for someone to say, in so many words that a school is basically just their safety and they dislike the region it is in while other posters are worried about getting into their top choice. We are all at different points in our lives, have different credentials, family situations, regional preferences. One person's dream school might very well be another person's safety, and bitterness can be the sort of elephant in the room. I just think we need to manage our tone/how we phrase things.

Valhalla_Valkyrie
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby Valhalla_Valkyrie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Chris, to answer your earlier question, you can be taken or not taken off the waitlist anytime between now and when classes start. So, to protect your full-ride at St. Thomas, I'd advise putting down your deposit when it's due as your own little insurance policy.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], laowhynot109 and 9 guests