Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JenDarby

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm

chrisbru wrote:
JenDarby wrote:$22k/year, not too thrilled. I will probably be throwing that back for the rest of you guys.

Can I have it?! That would make Minnesota a definite (unless Colorado miraculously throws me a full-ride) :-)

Do you get in state at Minnesota? With OOS, 22k just isn't that much.

$300 travel stipend is nice though.

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Just got the packet. $18k per year as long as I maintain a 2.5 GPA.

169, 2.95

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:34 pm

JenDarby wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
JenDarby wrote:$22k/year, not too thrilled. I will probably be throwing that back for the rest of you guys.

Can I have it?! That would make Minnesota a definite (unless Colorado miraculously throws me a full-ride) :-)

Unfortunately I don't have the credentials you do... So $22k would be plenty for me. Currently I'll being paying in-state sticker at Iowa, taking a full-ride at St. Thomas or only $20k a year at Denver... Although I haven't heard back from CU yet, and WUSTL hasn't given scholarship offers, but I doubt it will be enough to make going there over Iowa with in-state worthwhile.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:46 pm

In today!!!

Full-Tuition Scholarship (with 2.5 GPA stipulation)! HUZZAH!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 pm

nvm
Last edited by Gotti on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Gotti wrote:holy eff I just got my packet today with 28k
But okay I'm not really understanding this scholarship packet. It says
Law School Scholarship: 28k
Federal Ford: 20,500
Graduate Plus Loans: $11,818
Total Financial Aid Award: $60,318 (this = total Cost of Living as well)

So does that mean I get 28k or full ride?

Edit: sorry if this is a dumb question...I've never had a scholarship before & have never taken out loans so this is my first time dealing with this stuff...

If you consider 28k plus a crapload of loans to be a full ride, then you got a full ride.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

PinkCow wrote:If you consider 28k plus a crapload of loans to be a full ride, then you got a full ride.

yeah i guess it's just $28k. sorry...like I said I've never done this before. myyyy bad

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Gotti wrote:
PinkCow wrote:If you consider 28k plus a crapload of loans to be a full ride, then you got a full ride.

yeah i guess it's just $28k. sorry...like I said I've never done this before. myyyy bad

I see where you were coming from Gotti, the lay out was a little bit obnoxious. Especially since they say "overall financial award" multiple times.

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:25 pm

18K/year which is nice since I wasn't expecting anything. Does anyone know if they consider a matching scholarships from a school like Wake or American?

Also, does anyone have an idea of the interest rates for these loans? And does interest accumulate while you are in law school?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Gotti wrote:

Lol I meant to sound like I was joking, but now that I read it, it just sounds snarky.

But yes, only 28k of free money. The rest is just a breakdown. But hey, 28k is pretty darn good from what I hear for Minnesota - better than my 20 :(

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm

tinlawman wrote:18K/year which is nice since I wasn't expecting anything. Does anyone know if they consider a matching scholarships from a school like Wake or American?

Also, does anyone have an idea of the interest rates for these loans? And does interest accumulate while you are in law school?

I doubt you'd have much leverage with Wake or American.

#1 - they're pretty significantly lower ranked.
#2 - they cater to entirely different markets.

To my knowledge, matching only applies when schools are close competitors (i.e., very closely ranked and/or close proximity)

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

PinkCow wrote:To my knowledge, matching only applies when schools are close competitors (i.e., very closely ranked and/or close proximity)

What about with GW and BU? Can I use my 28k as a bargaining chip for either of those schools realistically?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I see where you were coming from Gotti, the lay out was a little bit obnoxious. Especially since they say "overall financial award" multiple times.

right?!?

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 pm

JenDarby wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I'm assuming the travel stipend is for transportation/lodging should you choose to go to the admitted students day?

How long were most of your cycles at UMN? Did it take long to hear after you went In Review?

Damn I'm getting nervous. GW is too expensive, I'm banking on some $$, UMN! The wait is killer...
Last edited by PomasThynchon on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 pm

Gotti wrote:
PinkCow wrote:To my knowledge, matching only applies when schools are close competitors (i.e., very closely ranked and/or close proximity)

What about with GW and BU? Can I use my 28k as a bargaining chip for either of those schools realistically?

I don't really know about that. Maybe using $$ at GW to talk to Minnesota, but idk about reverse. Some situations where I think it would apply would be:

Indiana/Illinois/Minnesota/Iowa
BU/BC
Maybe UCLA-->USC?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I don't really know about that. Maybe using $$ at GW to talk to Minnesota, but idk about reverse. Some situations where I think it would apply would be:

BU/BC
Maybe UCLA-->USC?

ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 pm

JenDarby wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

22k sounds pretty good to me. Ideally I'd get a full ride but...pipe dreams. What is OOS these days anyway, like 35k? So that would be 13k in tuition out of pocket, plus another couple Gs for books and expenses. Cost of living is probably a lot less outrageous than other cities, so if you're smart you could graduate with less than 100k pre-interest. Sounds pretty good to me, but maybe I'm not as debt-averse as I should be.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:50 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:22k sounds pretty good to me. Ideally I'd get a full ride but...pipe dreams. What is OOS these days anyway, like 35k? So that would be 13k in tuition out of pocket, plus another couple Gs for books and expenses. Cost of living is probably a lot less outrageous than other cities, so if you're smart you could graduate with less than 100k pre-interest. Sounds pretty good to me, but maybe I'm not as debt-averse as I should be.

40k. :?

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:56 pm

JenDarby wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:22k sounds pretty good to me. Ideally I'd get a full ride but...pipe dreams. What is OOS these days anyway, like 35k? So that would be 13k in tuition out of pocket, plus another couple Gs for books and expenses. Cost of living is probably a lot less outrageous than other cities, so if you're smart you could graduate with less than 100k pre-interest. Sounds pretty good to me, but maybe I'm not as debt-averse as I should be.

Yeah...I'll take it though! Better than a poke in the eye. I could probably get a full ride from my state school...but I don't like my state. Half of the estimated total cost of a law school is pretty good relative to the offers I've seen most of my friends get (at least at this rankings level).

neonx

Postby neonx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 pm

I received my admissions packet from Minnesota today (dated 1/26).
I was informed I am the recipient of Walter J. Trogner Merit Scholarship,
which guarantees full tuition for three years (approximately $121,000)--
under the condition that I maintain a 2.5 GPA.

Thank you, Minnesota! =)

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:58 pm

JenDarby wrote:

Each year?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to get residency after a year (or two) and how (if at all) that would affect scholarship amounts?

morganonthecoast

Postby morganonthecoast » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

18K with reciprocity tuition. I didn't think I'd end up in Minnesota but it's looking more and more likely since WI probably won't throw me any money beyond in-state tuition.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 am

Gotti wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
Gotti wrote:

BU/BC
Maybe UCLA-->USC?

ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess

Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess

Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.

Again with this shit??? wtf is wrong with you? Obviously I wanted to have options, and they're good schools. So yeah I got money at UMN and I can use that as leverage. Stop being bitter :roll:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”