Minnesota 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JenDarby

Re: Minnesota 2011

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:53 pm

I really hope I get my admissions packet tomorrow, I'm antsy for scholarship info.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:04 pm

PinkCow wrote:
169 3.56, Triple Major double minor, Unique grade trend (2.4 1st year [medical], ~3.8 all other years). So idk. Thanks for advice

Wow, that's enlightening. I'm starting to think they kind of disregard GPA and just look at the LSAT, because I know someone with 169/sub-2.5 who got the exact same thing.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:13 pm

JenDarby wrote:I really hope I get my admissions packet tomorrow, I'm antsy for scholarship info.

+eleventy billion

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 am

Aw crap I just remembered I was charged with causing an accident in 2007 ("charged" not like getting arrested but it was my fault--fender bender, no injuries). I completely forgot about it, because it wasn't a big deal (and it was when I was still a minor). Obviously it's a minor traffic violation, but Minnesota wants to know. I don't think I'll waste their time unless I get in, but would I be in trouble? It was an honest mistake.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

PomasThynchon wrote:Aw crap I just remembered I was charged with causing an accident in 2007 ("charged" not like getting arrested but it was my fault--fender bender, no injuries). I completely forgot about it, because it wasn't a big deal (and it was when I was still a minor). Obviously it's a minor traffic violation, but Minnesota wants to know. I don't think I'll waste their time unless I get in, but would I be in trouble? It was an honest mistake.

If you get in just send them an email being like "I just realized I forgot to attach this addendum, can you add it to my file now? etc. etc."

It's my understanding that C&F only looks at the application file at the school where you matriculate (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so it's not a problem unless you get in (and go there). It's not like something like that would make them change their mind about admitting you.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 am

PomasThynchon wrote:Aw crap I just remembered I was charged with causing an accident in 2007 ("charged" not like getting arrested but it was my fault--fender bender, no injuries). I completely forgot about it, because it wasn't a big deal (and it was when I was still a minor). Obviously it's a minor traffic violation, but Minnesota wants to know. I don't think I'll waste their time unless I get in, but would I be in trouble? It was an honest mistake.

what are at fault accidents in your state? being found at fault for an accident is not the same as being charged with a crime...(I can't remember the precise wording on their app). A hit and run...THAT'S a crime.

I disclosed ALL my silly HS traffic citations, as well as all my arrests (oh yea, multiples) and was accepted quickly.

I did NOT disclose at fault accidents, because they are not crimes, misdemeanors, etc, though I don't remember the exact wording of the app. I'm pretty sure it did not necessitate disclosures of accidents.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:51 am

JenDarby wrote:

what are at fault accidents in your state? being found at fault for an accident is not the same as being charged with a crime...(I can't remember the precise wording on their app). A hit and run...THAT'S a crime.

I disclosed ALL my silly HS traffic citations, as well as all my arrests (oh yea, multiples) and was accepted quickly.

I did NOT disclose at fault accidents, because they are not crimes, misdemeanors, etc, though I don't remember the exact wording of the app. I'm pretty sure it did not necessitate disclosures of accidents.

it's interesting to see that you have a dark past haha

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:it's interesting to see that you have a dark fun past haha

:wink:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57 am

+5 street cred for Jen and her thug life background haha :D

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 am

Florida is no-fault if I recall (although I think that's just for insurance purposes, not actual "who caused the accident") but I did get a moving violation or something.

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 am

I don't think disclosing traffic accidents is that big of a deal. You were "charged" for insurance purposes... not for criminal purposes.

For what it's worth, I didn't disclose any of my accidents and it didn't hamper my decision. Now, whether it has an impact on my scholarship amount has yet to be seen, but I'm not too concerned.

Speaking of, I got the call on the 21st, but still haven't gotten my packet. I hope it comes soon since I'm heading up to visit IU in the middle of the week and won't be in town to check the mail.

purplebulldogs

Postby purplebulldogs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 am

athenian wrote:I don't think disclosing traffic accidents is that big of a deal. You were "charged" for insurance purposes... not for criminal purposes.

For what it's worth, I didn't disclose any of my accidents and it didn't hamper my decision. Now, whether it has an impact on my scholarship amount has yet to be seen, but I'm not too concerned.

Speaking of, I got the call on the 21st, but still haven't gotten my packet. I hope it comes soon since I'm heading up to visit IU in the middle of the week and won't be in town to check the mail.

my understanding is that the effect on your admission to law school is minimal. however, being admitted to the bar is a WHOLE different story, and if you did not answer a question on an application truthfully (even those related to traffic citations), that can affect your admission.

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:35 am

purplebulldogs wrote:my understanding is that the effect on your admission to law school is minimal. however, being admitted to the bar is a WHOLE different story, and if you did not answer a question on an application truthfully (even those related to traffic citations), that can affect your admission.

True. However, I hardly think that overlooking a traffic citation on a law school application will derail your entire character and fitness evaluation.

The question on the application asks you to disclose any violations of traffic laws (in addition to misdemeanors and felonies). My understanding is that would include speeding tickets but not findings of fault in traffic accidents. If you were charged with reckless driving, failure to maintain lane, running a traffic light in addition to being cited for the accident... then by all means, disclose.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 pm

Just got my packet... $35K/year!!! I literally screamed in the post office. I think I have a new first choice :)

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:18 pm

kjadkins wrote:Just got my packet... $35K/year!!! I literally screamed in the post office. I think I have a new first choice :)

That's awesome! Congrats!

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

Wow, that's a great offer

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 pm

kjadkins wrote:Just got my packet... $35K/year!!! I literally screamed in the post office. I think I have a new first choice :)

Congrats KJ!!! That's an amazing offer!!

( :P to Richmond from us both ;) )

mss455

Postby mss455 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Wowww congrats ... what's your numbers ... not that MN really goes by it ... but soo happy for you.

athenian

Postby athenian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:38 pm

Congrats! Looks like I'll be stalking my postal carrier this afternoon.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 pm

mss455 wrote:

Wowww congrats ... what's your numbers ... not that MN really goes by it ... but soo happy for you.

167/3.39 Native American

That GPA was when I initially applied, updated transcript with a 3.42 a couple of days before they called me so I doubt they considered it, but they might have.

mss455

Postby mss455 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:07 pm

kjadkins wrote:
mss455 wrote:

167/3.39 Native American

That GPA was when I initially applied, updated transcript with a 3.42 a couple of days before they called me so I doubt they considered it, but they might have.

I want to be your classmate - congrats again :-) !!!!

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Congratulations. That's awesome, especially ITE and at such a great school. Wow! I'm happy for you because--you're clearly a very nice person, lol, but also because we're numbers twins! I was looking at apartments around DC after my GW acceptance, but (unless you have incredible one of a kind softs) if I get a comparable offer from Minnesota, I might be headed to Minneapolis. Studying IP in DC is very, very tempting, but at sticker (which would be ~$200k), regardless of the economy, that's a lot to swallow. Especially if I can come out of Minnesota with ~$100k or more less in debt. We'll wait and see! When did you go under review, kjadkins? I went 1/21 and I've been OCD about it ever since.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:16 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:

Congratulations. That's awesome, especially ITE and at such a great school. Wow! I'm happy for you because--you're clearly a very nice person, lol, but also because we're numbers twins! I was looking at apartments around DC after my GW acceptance, but (unless you have incredible one of a kind softs) if I get a comparable offer from Minnesota, I might be headed to Minneapolis. Studying IP in DC is very, very tempting, but at sticker (which would be ~$200k), regardless of the economy, that's a lot to swallow. Especially if I can come out of Minnesota with ~$100k or more less in debt. We'll wait and see! When did you go under review, kjadkins? I went 1/21 and I've been OCD about it ever since.

Congrats on GW! I was waitlisted at both of my DC options (GW and Georgetown) and I'm not going to ride out the waitlist because, like you said, going to either of those at sticker (esp. with the high COL in DC) would not be a prudent option. Good luck with Minnesota, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

I applied on 11/30, went UR on 1/7 and was accepted about two and a half weeks later. I don't think my softs are anything exceptional, I was very involved in undergrad but I have zero real WE. The only thing that I think might have really stood out on my app was a very compelling (IMHO) diversity statement. I know Minnesota has a couple of professors that specialize in Native American Law, so I think that might have helped me out a bit.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:36 pm

$22k/year, not too thrilled. I will probably be throwing that back for the rest of you guys.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 pm

JenDarby wrote:$22k/year, not too thrilled. I will probably be throwing that back for the rest of you guys.

Can I have it?! That would make Minnesota a definite (unless Colorado miraculously throws me a full-ride) :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”