Minnesota 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: Minnesota 2011

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Gotti wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote: ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess
Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.
Again with this shit??? wtf is wrong with you? Obviously I wanted to have options, and they're good schools. So yeah I got money at UMN and I can use that as leverage. Stop being bitter :roll:
Think of it from my view. I totally get WHY you are doing it... But I'm still allowed to be bitter. I'm riding a waitlist at my top choice school, while you're "leveraging" your offer from the school that you never would have gone to.

purplebulldogs

New

Post by purplebulldogs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote: ugh I really don't want to be in the midwest...but I guess I can try and bargain with GW and BU. They can't like...revoke my acceptance just because I ask, so I really have nothing to lose I guess
Then why the hell would you apply to Minnesota AND Illinois? Some of us love the midwest and want to stay. You can GTFO.
Again with this shit??? wtf is wrong with you? Obviously I wanted to have options, and they're good schools. So yeah I got money at UMN and I can use that as leverage. Stop being bitter :roll:
Think of it from my view. I totally get WHY you are doing it... But I'm still allowed to be bitter. I'm riding a waitlist at my top choice school, while you're "leveraging" your offer from the school that you never would have gone to.
stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 pm

purplebulldogs wrote: stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.
+1 ... thank you!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Gotti wrote:
purplebulldogs wrote: stop. right now. just stop. if you want to vent about things like that, head on over to the vent thread. if you want to talk about minnesota, then please do so.
+1 ... thank you!

Lemma: The farther along in the admissions cycle these threads go, the more bitter and on edge the participants become, especially those either:
a) Waitlisted
b) Still waiting for a decision.

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:11 pm

PinkCow wrote: Lemma: The farther along in the admissions cycle these threads go, the more bitter and on edge the participants become, especially those either:
a) Waitlisted
b) Still waiting for a decision.
So true. I was soooooo much more bitter about my WL at Georgetown than I was about my rejection at UVA. But the only schools I haven't heard back from are my fault because I didn't apply till mid-December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 pm

And some of us are too obsessive to be bitter. Our one track mind won't let us rage on anyone else. Can't wait till my cycle is over so I can return to being a fully functional adult.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Gotti wrote:
+1 ... thank you!
Honestly though, you could be a little more sensitive about this whole thing. Maybe join/start an accepted students thread? I stopped posting I the GW applicants thread when I was accepted. Or post in the GW thread that you'd rather go there. You can't help it if people resent you, but most people here are agonizing over one of their top choices, not posting about leverage.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Bulldogs--I don't know why you're taking sides. Both parties are at fault. One was tactless, the other a little too aggressive. Both of them need to reevaluate what they're posting.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:46 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:
+1 ... thank you!
Honestly though, you could be a little more sensitive about this whole thing. Maybe join/start an accepted students thread? I stopped posting I the GW applicants thread when I was accepted. Or post in the GW thread that you'd rather go there. You can't help it if people resent you, but most people here are agonizing over one of their top choices, not posting about leverage.
I guess...but the thread is titled Minnesota 2011, not Minnesota Applicants or whatever.

I wouldn't have reacted so strongly if this wasn't like the FOURTH TIME that he has talked shit to me because I don't want to live in the midwest...on like random threads that had nothing to do with him. ANYWAY i'll take this somewhere else. My bad for the derail

/thread derail

Edit: how was I tactless...? I was having a convo with PinkCow about leverage in the "MINNESOTA 2011" thread lulz. whatevs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

boozehound

Bronze

Post by boozehound » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:51 pm

All I have to say is its gonna be game on when I get to UMN. I finished two core casebooks already, and I'm practicing my timed essay writing. Seriously folks, get ready for that rough job market now.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Gotti wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
Gotti wrote:
+1 ... thank you!
I guess...but the thread is titled Minnesota 2011, not Minnesota Applicants or whatever.

I wouldn't have reacted so strongly if this wasn't like the FOURTH TIME that he has talked shit to me because I don't want to live in the midwest...on like random threads that had nothing to do with him. ANYWAY i'll take this somewhere else. My bad for the derail

/thread derail

Edit: how was I tactless...? I was having a convo with PinkCow about leverage in the "MINNESOTA 2011" thread lulz. whatevs
I don't think anyone called you tactless.

However, if you'd stop hating on the midwest, then maybe I wouldn't "talk shit" to you... Which I don't think I do, I merely defend the midwest. If you don't like it, don't come. I dislike California and the east coast, so I didn't apply to any schools there and don't talk about either of those areas of the country. Minneapolis is an awesome city, and UMN is a great school... And I'd like to keep all biased degrading of the area out of a thread that's supposed to help people make smart decisions about what school is best for them.

As for UMN... Anyone know about movement from the waitlist and when it happens? I would hate to pay a deposit to one (or even two schools) and then get accepted off the waitlist.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Gotti wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
I understand your point bro, but in all honesty this is the Minn 2011 thread. To discuss all things associated with Minn...that is admits, dings, WL's, and yes, schollys. Although you may be stressed about being in limbo with your top choice, people have the right to speak freely ITT about Minn. It sucks to hear ppl getting $ from school's that you're trying to barely get into, but such is life. Hit up the vent thread and go wild.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm

RJ127 wrote:Sorry for the derail. Back to Minn 2011 discussion.

So...how about that MN weather? I hear it's...cold.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:

As for UMN... Anyone know about movement from the waitlist and when it happens? I would hate to pay a deposit to one (or even two schools) and then get accepted off the waitlist.
You should probably check the past couple years' cycles on LSN and see when WL'ed people reported getting acceptances.

As for me, still IR 1/28. Could be weeks, could be seconds before I find out (more likely the former).

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:59 pm

PinkCow wrote:

I was always afraid of MN. My pops went there for business a few years back, and said when he left the hotel to go grab some food (in Jan or Feb), his face literally shut down. That's an entirely DIFFERENT level of cold.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 pm

RJ127 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I was always afraid of MN. My pops went there for business a few years back, and said when he left the hotel to go grab some food (in Jan or Feb), his face literally shut down. That's an entirely DIFFERENT level of cold.

The cold is definitely not for the weak-bloodflowed... er, something like that. Luckily it's only miserably cold once in a while. The rest of the winter it's really cold, but bearable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

The cold is definitely not for the weak-bloodflowed... er, something like that. Luckily it's only miserably cold once in a while. The rest of the winter it's really cold, but bearable.
I lived in Colorado Springs for a while and when the wind hit it was like nothing I've ever felt before. Like literally shutting down like your dad said. Crazy. Fun fun

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:02 pm

I was worried about Minnesota winters when I applied at the end of December... Now I'm sitting in my apartment facing a legitimate blizzard in Missouri. I can't imagine it being any different :roll:

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm

chrisbru wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Yeah man I'm from LA where anything below 60 is frostbite. MN weather would mess my whole swagger up

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Last edited by fakemoney on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chritabug

New

Post by chritabug » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 pm

fakemoney wrote:It's hard to believe anything could be much worse than the weather NYC's been having lately :x
This.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Not to dig this up again but talking about leveraging is totally ok.

I'm waiting to hear from my top choices and know there are people who would never attend but aren't withdrawing (that bothers me a little) but the people holding on for scholly - come on law school is expensive and I'm not going anywhere without a scholly so I understand.

Also, I'm restricted geographically for family reasons but still applied to Cornell/UMN/UIUC etc (precisely for scholly leveraging/as a back up). I didn't apply to 20/30 schools (or even 15) so it makes me feel better that I'm not holding "As many" spots up.

/defending of that discussion

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

I completely agree with your rationale JJDancer, I just think it's bad form for someone to say, in so many words that a school is basically just their safety and they dislike the region it is in while other posters are worried about getting into their top choice. We are all at different points in our lives, have different credentials, family situations, regional preferences. One person's dream school might very well be another person's safety, and bitterness can be the sort of elephant in the room. I just think we need to manage our tone/how we phrase things.

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Chris, to answer your earlier question, you can be taken or not taken off the waitlist anytime between now and when classes start. So, to protect your full-ride at St. Thomas, I'd advise putting down your deposit when it's due as your own little insurance policy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”