Minnesota 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Re: Minnesota 2011

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 am

Does anyone have specific knowledge of whether or not an in-person visit helps with getting off the waitlist? I'm thinking of going dressed as a gopher to show school spirit. If I don't get in, I'll be returning to campus as a Badger.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am

No specific knowledge of that for UMN. I've heard about visiting helping with some other schools, though.

Alright, I think it's time this thread stopped beating around the bush and got straight to the point: Winter in Minnesota. How bad? How long? I'm a Northeast guy who's experienced his share of blizzards and days in the teens, and I've got to say, I do not like it. How many subzero days are we looking at? Does it start to get a bit warmer by, say, April? How early in the fall does the bitter cold set in? Are we talking about punishing wind, too?

kblueboi

New

Post by kblueboi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 am

fakemoney wrote:No specific knowledge of that for UMN. I've heard about visiting helping with some other schools, though.

Alright, I think it's time this thread stopped beating around the bush and got straight to the point: Winter in Minnesota. How bad? How long? I'm a Northeast guy who's experienced his share of blizzards and days in the teens, and I've got to say, I do not like it. How many subzero days are we looking at? Does it start to get a bit warmer by, say, April? How early in the fall does the bitter cold set in? Are we talking about punishing wind, too?
+1

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:11 am

The way everyone freaks out about it, I feel like I should change my last name to Stark and buy a dire wolf. I haven't experienced it myself, but I've dealt with the temps hiking glaciers. It turns out that they make coats that are warm enough to climb Everest :o.

kblueboi

New

Post by kblueboi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 am

geoduck wrote:The way everyone freaks out about it, I feel like I should change my last name to Stark and buy a dire wolf. I haven't experienced it myself, but I've dealt with the temps hiking glaciers. It turns out that they make coats that are warm enough to climb Everest :o.
+1

new book finally coming out in july ... i hope the show does the book justice

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WinterIsComing

New

Post by WinterIsComing » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

WinterIsComing wrote:
geoduck wrote:The way everyone freaks out about it, I feel like I should change my last name to Stark and buy a dire wolf. I haven't experienced it myself, but I've dealt with the temps hiking glaciers. It turns out that they make coats that are warm enough to climb Everest :o.
You will find much success in that endeavor.

As for everyone else, it's easy to stay warm. I wore a Burton snowboarding jacket during -20 to -40 weather in AK this winter, and it was fine. You learn to layer, and obviously, you don't go around sticking your tongue on metal poles or grabbing them barehanded. Get a garage parking spot or auto-start for your car, and you're golden.
Like a gopher.

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Wondering about the weather? We got another few inches the other night, so there's still over a foot or so (probably closer to 2) on the ground. That's on the outskirts of downtown (near Cedars/Riverside). Not uncommon to see snow in April, either, and it'll start falling again as early as before Halloween. As for temps, 20 or 30 below does happen, and the windchill is no joke. Not trying to scare anyone, but you deserve to know what kind of winter (and parts of fall and spring) you're getting into.

And I'll second not sticking your tongue on any metal poles. :lol:

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:Wondering about the weather? We got another few inches the other night, so there's still over a foot or so (probably closer to 2) on the ground. That's on the outskirts of downtown (near Cedars/Riverside). Not uncommon to see snow in April, either, and it'll start falling again as early as before Halloween. As for temps, 20 or 30 below does happen, and the windchill is no joke. Not trying to scare anyone, but you deserve to know what kind of winter (and parts of fall and spring) you're getting into.

And I'll second not sticking your tongue on any metal poles. :lol:
I still think that beats the roughly 55 hours of sunlight that we get in Seattle during December.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:07 pm

I wouldn't trade Minnesota winters for Seattle, but then again I'm a snow bunny. Since I've heard people from CO and Oregon complain about our winters after moving here, I'll advise everyone to remember it is the Midwest, not the Rockies nor Pacific Northwest. Expect some grey skies, whipping wind, your eyes stinging when you walk outside and tears freezing to your face. Then hike up your NorthFace, smile, and keep going.

WinterIsComing

New

Post by WinterIsComing » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Last edited by WinterIsComing on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

nireca

New

Post by nireca » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Soo being from CA I was worried about the weather but then I came across this article on Above The Law: 13% Tuition Increase + 1% Faculty Salary Cut = 100% Screwing of Minnesota Law Students [http://abovethelaw.com/2010/10/13-tuiti ... -students/]

What do you guys make of this? As an OOS prospective I am a bit concerned but I wanna hear some other people's thoughts.

EDIT: further fueling the fire of my discontent: http://abovethelaw.com/2009/06/minnesot ... -students/
Last edited by nireca on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Anyone have any insight as to the difficulty of gaining residency status?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:35 pm

nireca wrote:Soo being from CA I was worried about the weather but then I came across this article on Above The Law: 13% Tuition Increase + 1% Faculty Salary Cut = 100% Screwing of Minnesota Law Students [http://abovethelaw.com/2010/10/13-tuiti ... -students/]

What do you guys make of this? As an OOS prospective I am a bit concerned but I wanna hear some other people's thoughts.
I think that my local U Washington does increases between 9-13% almost every year... It's kinda scary for debt load, but I doubt they'd do 13% multiple years in a row if they're actually making a big deal about it. Course I got accepted with the Trogner scholarship, so I'm not overly concerned about tuition hikes.

WinterIsComing

New

Post by WinterIsComing » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Tuition hikes seem pretty standard these days, and 13% is always scary, but with the current situation of states' and the federal government's budgets, hikes are going to be a lot more common, especially at state universities.

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:07 pm

coreno16 wrote:Anyone have any insight as to the difficulty of gaining residency status?
At ASW they made it sound like it was fairly difficult but not unheard of. You have to have a primary reason for being in the state OTHER than education. According to the dean having a spouse/domestic partner who has a job near Minneapolis helps. There's also an exception for people who TA, so if you can find a TA position for a prof. in the undergrad or graduate school where you majored in undergrad you get in-state tuition. My boyfriend and I are moving out in May and he's going to try to get a job ASAP, so hopefully that'll help. If not I'll just try to TA a Spanish or gov class.

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 pm

nireca wrote:Soo being from CA I was worried about the weather but then I came across this article on Above The Law: 13% Tuition Increase + 1% Faculty Salary Cut = 100% Screwing of Minnesota Law Students [http://abovethelaw.com/2010/10/13-tuiti ... -students/]

EDIT: further fueling the fire of my discontent: http://abovethelaw.com/2009/06/minnesot ... -students/
eh... I saw these a while back. UMN is not unique in sticking it to law students. In-state I think got an even bigger hike than OOS. At 40K, OOS at Minnesota is still less than a lot of schools. I just hope the trend doesn't continue.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:35 pm

fakemoney wrote:

eh... I saw these a while back. UMN is not unique in sticking it to law students. In-state I think got an even bigger hike than OOS. At 40K, OOS at Minnesota is still less than a lot of schools. I just hope the trend doesn't continue.
Really, the funniest part of that article is that it makes it seem like Minnesota is somehow special in doing a 13% raise. Every state school is feeling the pressure with all the state budget cuts around the country. They aren't even close to the worst. Back in 04, UW raised tuition 48%... and did over 13% last year after 4 straight years of 9% raises. I know Cali has a lot of similar hikes. And all of those schools are still pretty cheap compared to private schools in the top 30.

nireca

New

Post by nireca » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:05 pm

geoduck wrote:
fakemoney wrote:

Really, the funniest part of that article is that it makes it seem like Minnesota is somehow special in doing a 13% raise. Every state school is feeling the pressure with all the state budget cuts around the country. They aren't even close to the worst. Back in 04, UW raised tuition 48%... and did over 13% last year after 4 straight years of 9% raises. I know Cali has a lot of similar hikes. And all of those schools are still pretty cheap compared to private schools in the top 30.
i could stomach a 13% tuition hike if that were the only issue but that coupled with 10% salary cuts at MN firms for incoming associates seems to me a rather grim prospect. granted it was just the one firm, so far, but fuck that's going to sting if it catches on, especially if there are more tuition hikes in store

fakemoney

Bronze

Post by fakemoney » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm

nireca wrote:
geoduck wrote:
fakemoney wrote:

i could stomach a 13% tuition hike if that were the only issue but that coupled with 10% salary cuts at MN firms for incoming associates seems to me a rather grim prospect. granted it was just the one firm, so far, but fuck that's going to sting if it catches on, especially if there are more tuition hikes in store
It's worrisome, no doubt. The economy appears to be rebounding somewhat though, so maybe the outlook will be better by the time we graduate. The MinnesotaBigLaw guy mentioned in the "Discuss Your Law School" forum that hiring was picking up in MSP. It might be worthwhile to ask him how salaries have fared:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&start=50
Last edited by fakemoney on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valhalla_Valkyrie

New

Post by Valhalla_Valkyrie » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 pm

Adkins, not to be a nagative nancy, but having a boyfriend who works in MSP isn't exactly going to have a lot of leverage in getting you resident status. ANYONE can claim BF, GF, fiance, etc. Contractual relationships (marriage, "palimony", pre-nup, etc.) are going to have the most weight.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Ok, so a couple of us are getting together Friday night after the reception at the April 1st-2nd ASW to check out Minneapolis. We did this with a bunch of other TLSers at the Lewis and Clark ASW and it was great. Is anyone else interested?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:13 pm

Valhalla_Valkyrie wrote:Adkins, not to be a nagative nancy, but having a boyfriend who works in MSP isn't exactly going to have a lot of leverage in getting you resident status. ANYONE can claim BF, GF, fiance, etc. Contractual relationships (marriage, "palimony", pre-nup, etc.) are going to have the most weight.
Which is exactly the reason I brought up the fact that TA positions are another path I'm willing to try to get in-state tuition. Whether or not a domestic partner is a "legitimate" enough relationship to justify relocating in the eyes of the UMN administration is for them to decide, but I know it's far from a sure bet.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Will likely be withdrawing this next week. Just not feeling the school and the early and large deposit wasn't very palatable for me.

LSATurday

New

Post by LSATurday » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Ok, so a couple of us are getting together Friday night after the reception at the April 1st-2nd ASW to check out Minneapolis. We did this with a bunch of other TLSers at the Lewis and Clark ASW and it was great. Is anyone else interested?

Perhaps!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”