Minnesota 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JJDancer

Gold

Re: Minnesota 2011

Post by JJDancer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 am

masterthearts, you sound like you want GULC but feel sorry for burdening your parents.
If that's the only thing stopping you from picking it, (as someone said) take out some federal loans each year to pay part of the way.
It eases the burden on them and gets you where you want with minimal debt.

PS: Will you(r parents) be paying sticker at GULC?

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 am

JJDancer wrote:masterthearts, you sound like you want GULC but feel sorry for burdening your parents.
If that's the only thing stopping you from picking it, (as someone said) take out some federal loans each year to pay part of the way.

You're right. I think I want gulc but don't want to burden parents. Your idea for federal loans sounds like a good idea. Yes, sticker price at gulc. I doubt very much that I'll get any scholly at gulc. I am lucky to have been accepted there since it was a reach school.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:43 am

I didn't mean to sound passive aggressive or anything. If you feel that guilty about your parents paying, again, federal loans at the graduate school level are not tied to your parent's income/assets, so there's your solution to guilt.

Hate to be cliche, but only you can answer your question. Do you like Minneapolis/the Midwest? Are you comfortable living there for the forseeable future? Do you want to work in DC? Do you care about "prestige" or name recognition? Do you want a more geographically portable degree?

As for the LSAT, I don't know. My cousin got into USC with "only" a 164 and he's in the top quarter of his class. Did you bust ass or your LSAT score or not? The previous question assumes the LSAT is a worthy rubric of course. All I know is, I would never go to a law school because I think it's "easier" (without scholly of course). Or avoid a school being potentially too hard (especially if that school is T14!) point being there is no right answer. What are your goals?

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 am

masterthearts wrote:
JJDancer wrote:masterthearts, you sound like you want GULC but feel sorry for burdening your parents.

You're right. I think I want gulc but don't want to burden parents. Your idea for federal loans sounds like a good idea. Yes, sticker price at gulc. I doubt very much that I'll get any scholly at gulc. I am lucky to have been accepted there since it was a reach school.
I respect the hell out of risk aversion, believe me. But this isn't GWU scholly vs GULC sticker. Sounds like you want Georgetown. Minnesota is awesome, but is there anything attractive to you besides cost? I probably could've gotten scholly to the University of Tulsa, but I don't want to go to Oklahoma

liniee

New

Post by liniee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 am

mss455 wrote:
liniee wrote:In via email today.
LSAT:167 GPA:n/a ...
international student
Congrats ... which country? and first language is?
From Taiwan. First languages are Mandarin and Taiwanese.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SortOfObsessed

New

Post by SortOfObsessed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:28 am

Just got my package. 30,000/yr scholarship. 167/3.7. Tempting offer, but leaning towards Indiana because of their 40,000/yr scholarship.

Anyone in a similar situation? Do you think it's worth negotiating with either school for slightly more money? (indiana's wants me to pay 3k a year and minnesota wants me to pay 10k a year.)

pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Post by pimpsdontcry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:41 am

SortOfObsessed wrote:Just got my package. 30,000/yr scholarship. 167/3.7. Tempting offer, but leaning towards Indiana because of their 40,000/yr scholarship.

Anyone in a similar situation? Do you think it's worth negotiating with either school for slightly more money? (indiana's wants me to pay 3k a year and minnesota wants me to pay 10k a year.)
First off congrats. Secondly, i'm offended they offered u 30k and me only 26k (you're probably a better person than me though). Thirdly, with a 167/3.7 you're solid for A LOOOOOT better schools, try your luck at a T20!

pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Post by pimpsdontcry » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 am

ok, i'm retarded. I thought this was the USD thread..... MY POSITION STANDS! (Sans 2 O's in "LOT") haha

SortOfObsessed

New

Post by SortOfObsessed » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:59 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:
SortOfObsessed wrote:Just got my package. 30,000/yr scholarship. 167/3.7. Tempting offer, but leaning towards Indiana because of their 40,000/yr scholarship.

First off congrats. Secondly, i'm offended they offered u 30k and me only 26k (you're probably a better person than me though). Thirdly, with a 167/3.7 you're solid for A LOOOOOT better schools, try your luck at a T20!
haha I am definitely not a better person. 2 addendums for my 3 LSAT scores and 1 stupid alcohol related violation definitely blemishes my application.

I think T20 would give me zero financial aid money. :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:04 am

My Minnesota disclosures section was two pages long.....

I was still accepted within a few weeks of applying, so hopefully they like me enough to also give me some $$$.

Also, I don't think you should worry about such things really affecting your chance at scholarships. My disclosures seem to have had no impact on my scholarship offers thus far. I've just about maxed out what I expected everywhere, with or without disclosures.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 am

I still can't believe Minnesota waitlisted me. :| I was really interested in them. I guess they are not very splitter friendly? Or is it just me, personally, that they aren't very excited about?

nelaw2010

Bronze

Post by nelaw2010 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 am

Adjudicator wrote:I still can't believe Minnesota waitlisted me. :| I was really interested in them. I guess they are not very splitter friendly? Or is it just me, personally, that they aren't very excited about?
175 LSAT? You must have been YP.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 am

Adjudicator wrote:I still can't believe Minnesota waitlisted me. :| I was really interested in them. I guess they are not very splitter friendly? Or is it just me, personally, that they aren't very excited about?
Did you do a very hard major in college, such as engineering? If so, a 3.0 gpa would be acceptable in my mind (if I were an adcom). If you majored in the humanities/socal science, I would have waitlisted you too. Maybe the rest of your app wasn't strong enough to justify an acceptance, even with a 175 lsat (due to the low gpa). I guess you can write a "why MN letter" and see if that helps

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
masterthearts wrote: You're right. I think I want gulc but don't want to burden parents. Your idea for federal loans sounds like a good idea. Yes, sticker price at gulc. I doubt very much that I'll get any scholly at gulc. I am lucky to have been accepted there since it was a reach school.
I respect the hell out of risk aversion, believe me. But this isn't GWU scholly vs GULC sticker. Sounds like you want Georgetown. Minnesota is awesome, but is there anything attractive to you besides cost? I probably could've gotten scholly to the University of Tulsa, but I don't want to go to Oklahoma
Haha. Now you have that on your plate too! CONGRATS!

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:23 pm

JJDancer wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
masterthearts wrote: You're right. I think I want gulc but don't want to burden parents. Your idea for federal loans sounds like a good idea. Yes, sticker price at gulc. I doubt very much that I'll get any scholly at gulc. I am lucky to have been accepted there since it was a reach school.
Haha. Now you have that on your plate too! CONGRATS!
Lol unfortunately it was just a hypothetical, but thanks anyway. Still waiting on USC, Mich, Cornell and GULC. Longshots, but I'm a gambling man. Still waiting to hear from Minnesota--Minneapolis would be awesome.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Thoughts on leveraging Indiana scholly vs Minnesota???

Got 120k from Indy, only 60 from Minn.

Much rather go to Minn.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:00 pm

PinkCow wrote:Thoughts on leveraging Indiana scholly vs Minnesota???

Much rather go to Minn.
Indy really throws this 120k around don't they? (not trying to diminish your accomplishment, congrats!) I feel like I really should drop an app into them, their disclosures sections is just so damn long. I suppose so was Minnesota's though. Dang it, maybe I'll spend the $12 and apply today, hopefully they still have the money to try and buy my attendance.

Edit: looking at them on LSN is funny, it's like 120k down the board.
Last edited by JenDarby on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

magicman554

Bronze

Post by magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Much rather go to Minn.
You mean IU-Bloomington, or IU-Indy? IU-B and Minn are peer schools, and IU-B has a lot going for it. Double the $$$ should be a no-brainer in this case, but even if you can renegotiate with Minn and get a matching offer, it's still a close call.

magicman554

Bronze

Post by magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:I feel like I really should drop an app into them, their disclosures sections is just so damn long. I suppose so was Minnesota's though.
Do you really have to list every single traffic ticket you ever got? I'm not even sure if I still have those records (happened years ago).

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:07 pm

magicman554 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I feel like I really should drop an app into them, their disclosures sections is just so damn long. I suppose so was Minnesota's though.
Do you really have to list every single traffic ticket you ever got? I'm not even sure if I still have those records (happened years ago).
I had to do this for several schools. I got three speeding tickets YEARS ago, one school I applied to wanted exact dates (I can't remember which one), but I had to look up my court records for all three of them to find the dates the tickets were issued. It was a pain in the ass.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:13 pm

magicman554 wrote:
If they require them, as Minnesota does, you do. Mine are all around 6 or so years old, and the DMV didn't even have any records of them, so I just estimated time periods. It didn't seem to be a problem, as I was quickly accepted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

magicman554

Bronze

Post by magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:18 pm

JenDarby wrote:
magicman554 wrote:
If they require them, as Minnesota does, you do. Mine are all around 6 or so years old, and the DMV didn't even have any records of them, so I just estimated time periods. It didn't seem to be a problem, as I was quickly accepted.
I just don't get it. Some schools don't care (and specifically ask you to disregard anything traffic related, except DUI/DWI). Some schools make a federal case out of it. I guess it matters on how the bar in the school's state conducts C&F, right? That would explain why UIUC and NU don't give a shit, while IU-B and UMN make you disclose.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:22 pm

magicman554 wrote:

Much rather go to Minn.
You mean IU-Bloomington, or IU-Indy? IU-B and Minn are peer schools, and IU-B has a lot going for it. Double the $$$ should be a no-brainer in this case, but even if you can renegotiate with Minn and get a matching offer, it's still a close call.

Yes Bloomington. I know academically they are very similar, I just like the St. Paul area a lot better (have family there, etc.). Even though it's a bit lower ranked, would it possibly be applicable for negotiations?

magicman554

Bronze

Post by magicman554 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:25 pm

PinkCow wrote:
magicman554 wrote:

Much rather go to Minn.

Yes Bloomington. I know academically they are very similar, I just like the St. Paul area a lot better (have family there, etc.). Even though it's a bit lower ranked, would it possibly be applicable for negotiations?
It's higher ranked (higher = better). Yes, they are peer schools, so I'm sure they would entertain the idea. As a matter of fact, if you read the dean's interview on their profile, she says (vaguely) that they are open to this. What are your numbers, BTW?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:29 pm

magicman554 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
magicman554 wrote:

Much rather go to Minn.

It's higher ranked (higher = better). Yes, they are peer schools, so I'm sure they would entertain the idea. As a matter of fact, if you read the dean's interview on their profile, she says (vaguely) that they are open to this. What are your numbers, BTW?

169 3.56, Triple Major double minor, Unique grade trend (2.4 1st year [medical], ~3.8 all other years). So idk. Thanks for advice

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”