Minnesota 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dumbledore

New

Re: Minnesota 2011

Post by dumbledore » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:34 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:Called today. They're still looking into the waitlist. Has anyone else heard anything? I would love to attend this school.
I'm on the WL too. I hate hate hate the cold, but would be willing to put up with it if I were offered a seat at UMN. What do you think they mean by "looking into the waitlist?" Did they say that they are currently looking for seats to fill, or that they anticipate a few spots will open up before school, or what?

Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck!

mickswag

New

Post by mickswag » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:41 pm

I just withdrew yesterday and opened a spot up. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Withdrawing this week...good luck waitlisters!

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

geoduck wrote:
dstars823 wrote:Off the wait list.... $22000 a year in scholarship. Im actually going to reject and stay at my job in banking. if anyone is curious about my stats its 170 with a 2.6 Economics

so for one of u waitlisters u guys might be able to get my spot :D
Out of curiosity for a friend of mine's next year cycle with similar numbers, are you URM or not? And also, did you apply early or late?

Thanks!

Not URM, and i applied in March after they emailed me and offered me a free application, also i have years of internship experience in banking and finance, so i do have some job experience

sabs210

New

Post by sabs210 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:10 am

So is the waitlist done? Has anyone heard anything? :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm

sabs210 wrote:So is the waitlist done? Has anyone heard anything? :|

From what I know about admissions, the waitlist is a possibility up to the start of orientation, because that's when it is 100% set in stone what the class size is, numbers, etc. If hys goes to the waitlist, then someone might ditch their spot at Minnesota, opening a place for um to pick someone off their waitlist, for example.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:

From what I know about admissions, the waitlist is a possibility up to the start of orientation, because that's when it is 100% set in stone what the class size is, numbers, etc. If hys goes to the waitlist, then someone might ditch their spot at Minnesota, opening a place for um to pick someone off their waitlist, for example.

Possible, but I think as a T1 Minnesota wouldn't be pushing hard to maintain class sizes. I mean Iowa has dropped 15% in 2 years and I know W&M and Hamline have cut back this year for class sizes. I think the lack of hiring in legal employment is screwing with the deans who want to maintain USNews ranks with their botched salary statistics.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:43 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Possible, but I think as a T1 Minnesota wouldn't be pushing hard to maintain class sizes. I mean Iowa has dropped 15% in 2 years and I know W&M and Hamline have cut back this year for class sizes. I think the lack of hiring in legal employment is screwing with the deans who want to maintain USNews ranks with their botched salary statistics.

Completely agree. It's very unlikely, but that's the scenario if it would happen. Iowa isnt going to the waitlist either unless something strange happens.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Completely agree. It's very unlikely, but that's the scenario if it would happen. Iowa isnt going to the waitlist either unless something strange happens.
You mean like you and I bailing? ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:24 pm

typ3 wrote:
You mean like you and I bailing? ;)

What's the point in trying to replace the two of us though?

sabs210

New

Post by sabs210 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:26 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

So there were two ppl earlier on the thread that withdrew, were the spots already replaced because I haven't seen any acceptances and the FB Law group hasn't increased in size. The admissions officer i spoke to said that a normal class size is between 240-260, and the FB group the last time I checked was around 225. I know not ALL ppl advertise their acceptance on FB or the thread, but seeing as most of the info is updated on FB too, do you really think they aren't letting more ppl off the waitlist until around orientation?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 pm

sabs210 wrote:
So there were two ppl earlier on the thread that withdrew, were the spots already replaced because I haven't seen any acceptances and the FB Law group hasn't increased in size. The admissions officer i spoke to said that a normal class size is between 240-260, and the FB group the last time I checked was around 225. I know not ALL ppl advertise their acceptance on FB or the thread, but seeing as most of the info is updated on FB too, do you really think they aren't letting more ppl off the waitlist until around orientation?

Not everyone that is accepted uses Facebook. Secondly, just because their normal class size is larger doesn't mean they want to have that large of a class due to the economy. A lot of law schools are cutting back class sizes this year. See: Search Function.

sabs210

New

Post by sabs210 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:56 pm

typ3 wrote:
sabs210 wrote:

Not everyone that is accepted uses Facebook. Secondly, just because their normal class size is larger doesn't mean they want to have that large of a class due to the economy. A lot of law schools are cutting back class sizes this year. See: Search Function.
That's exactly what I said I know "not ALL ppl advertise their acceptances on FB," aka via joining the group, but I'm curious to know if they intend on replacing those who have been withdrawing.

and to your second point, that's interesting.

thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 am

It seems like they're still accepting people off of the waitlist, two people just posted in the facebook group in the past few days that they were just accepted and looking for housing. Don't lose hope yet!

sabs210

New

Post by sabs210 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 pm

kjadkins wrote:It seems like they're still accepting people off of the waitlist, two people just posted in the facebook group in the past few days that they were just accepted and looking for housing. Don't lose hope yet!

Thanks for the uplifting update! When is Orientation and when do classes start?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:14 pm

sabs210 wrote:
kjadkins wrote:It seems like they're still accepting people off of the waitlist, two people just posted in the facebook group in the past few days that they were just accepted and looking for housing. Don't lose hope yet!

Thanks for the uplifting update! When is Orientation and when do classes start?
Orientation starts a week from tomorrow (Aug 30) and classes start Sept. 6. I know law schools are infamous for calling people right up until the last minute, so there's still some time. Best of luck!

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Just got accepted off the waitlist TODAY :O

They called me at 3pm. I was in class. Called back at 4pm. I had until 5pm to give them a final answer! Crazy stuff. But very happy I'm attending :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:30 am

Swent88 wrote:Just got accepted off the waitlist TODAY :O

They called me at 3pm. I was in class. Called back at 4pm. I had until 5pm to give them a final answer! Crazy stuff. But very happy I'm attending :D
Where were you in class at, if you don't mind me asking?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

They really do wait till the last minute! Well congrats! :)

Swent88

New

Post by Swent88 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 am

chrisbru wrote:

I was through my third day of class at William Mitchell (they start a couple weeks earlier than the U of M). Had close to a full ride. I needed to be in Minnesota for family reasons no matter what, so it was either Mitchell or the U of M if they took me off the wait list. They pulled through for me in the end, the day before orientation :D

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Swent88 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I was through my third day of class at William Mitchell (they start a couple weeks earlier than the U of M). Had close to a full ride. I needed to be in Minnesota for family reasons no matter what, so it was either Mitchell or the U of M if they took me off the wait list. They pulled through for me in the end, the day before orientation :D
Congrats! That's a nice upgrade. What do you think about going to U of M at sticker over WM with your scholarship?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:12 am

Swent88 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I withdrew from UMN that day, around 2pm, so it's probably my spot you got. I'm really glad my last minute decision benefited you, and that they were able to fill that seat. Have fun and good luck!

otaibi26

New

Post by otaibi26 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:27 am

I apologize if this has already been addressed but I scanned through some of pages and didn't see it anywhere.

I know this may seem dumb and extra picky but I have been wait listed by Minnesota and they specifically say to send any additional info via email. Is it best if I send my LOCI as an attachment in the email or just paste it directly into the body of the email?

Again, sorry for the dumb question but this is my top choice for a school and I'm nervous about messing something up.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:32 am

otaibi26 wrote:I apologize if this has already been addressed but I scanned through some of pages and didn't see it anywhere.

I know this may seem dumb and extra picky but I have been wait listed by Minnesota and they specifically say to send any additional info via email. Is it best if I send my LOCI as an attachment in the email or just paste it directly into the body of the email?

Again, sorry for the dumb question but this is my top choice for a school and I'm nervous about messing something up.

I would do an attachment so it can be formatted properly and look more professional.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”